Bernice King Leaves Bishop Eddie Long’s Church

Unable to come to terms with her pastor’s secret lifestyle, Bernice King has left her position at New Birth Missionary Church, according to the AJC.

King, 48, the youngest and only surviving daughter of the late civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, left her position as an elder on Sunday just days after Bishop Eddie Long and the church settled lawsuits brought by 4 men who say he coerced them with gifts, clothing and trips in exchange for sex.

King was an impassioned opponent of gay rights and gay marriage in particular. In 2004, King and Long walked side by side during a march against gay marriage that ended at the Martin Luther King grave site. It is well known in the lesbian community that King is not empathetic toward gays and lesbians. Especially since it has long been rumored that Bernice, who never married, is an undercover lesbian herself.

Both Long, 58, and Elder King made the fight against gay marriage their personal crusades. Conflicted church members looking for guidance from Long and King were often instructed to seek Jesus to rid themselves of their “sick” homosexual urgings. Meanwhile, Long and King battled their inner demons in seclusion, only to emerge bitter and broken people.

In a report written by the Southern Poverty Law Center, Long was called “one of the most virulently homophobic black leaders in the religiously based anti-gay movement.” In one sermon, he says to gays and lesbians, “God says you deserve death!”

Long’s New Birth Missionary Baptist megachurch once had a membership of 25,000. But at the 8 a.m. service on the Sunday following news of the settlement, the congregation numbered in the hundreds.

88 Responses to “Bernice King Leaves Bishop Eddie Long’s Church”

ELove says:

^^^
    OBVIOUSLY she never chose to use the Common Sense and Intellect that I’m QUITE SURE her Father instilled in her (BUT I Could Be WRONG…) :shrug:

only surviving daughter? when did bernice die?

nevermind, i misread.

RoderickXYZ says:

I always suspected that Bernice was a lesbian because she like Long are violently homophobic, but not because she’s single. None of her other siblings ever married and I can understand why–no one wants an FBI file.

datsmdubya2u says:

@RoderickXYZ

In May 2006, Martin Luther King III married longtime girlfriend Arndrea Waters.

Carrington says:

Sandrarose says,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I heard service was filled to the rafters – but I’m not sure which service that was. Regardless, I suspect most people were there hoping to see something jump off, or hear an “announcement”.

anti-PC says:

Well good for her. But if she is indeed a closeted lesbian who speaks out against homosexuality than she should be exposed too. There is nno room for hypocrites.

But none of that changes the fact that according to The Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Blame the message, not the messenger if you disagree.

flsun99 says:

My hairstylist is a memeber and she told me that since “the situation” happened (the law suit) attendence has been declining. She said that the balconies are not opened at the service she attends and the floor seats are packed like they use to be. She and her husband continued to attend because they believed Bishop Long was going to fight these charges and WIN. I haven’t talked to her since the settlement but will see her Thursday. I can’t wait to hear what she hathinks about the settlement. But i don’t plan to talk about until after my eyebrows are waxed and my hair is done. Don’t want her to jack me up by “accident” because of the things I am going to say.

flsun99 says:

***thinks, not hathink**

ELove says:

^^^
    :rofl: Y’all SR LADIES are a COMPLETE MESS !!! :rofl:

flsun99 says:

Coretta Scott King was an advocate for Gay marriage, right? I wonder if she was so because one of her children were/is gay. I have always thought Bernice was. I may be wrong but I just always got that vibe from her.

Dawn Sheen says:

IDK nothing about a King or a Long BUT I do know Miguel and Bobby Valentino were seperated at birth…, not New Birth but maybe at the NICU at Gradys

platinumdime says:

“Both Long, 58, and Elder King made the fight against gay marriage their personal crusades.” Welp, a hit dog will holler. #thatisall#

Audacious2 says:

:blink:
    So word in Lithonia, his wife has left him too!
    LOL, I heard that from one those cult members, says his wife has moved out into another home. I guess sleeping in the other bedroom was too close for comfort.

Audacious2 says:

flsun99 says:

——————————+
    And “Dexter” too. He was a hot spoiled mess, I remember back before he flunked out of Morehouse, he would cruise around in this black corvette, never really saw him mac’n any chicks, but since he moved to Cali, I have heard all kinds of rumors. He was still depending on support from his sick mom, while struggling in Cali, wanting the family to sell the King center and strike up any book deals. :blink: strange dude.

RoderickXYZ says:

datsmdubya2u says:

@RoderickXYZ

In May 2006, Martin Luther King III married longtime girlfriend Arndrea Waters.

Ok one out of four got married.

LilMissRed says:

:popcorn: Oh My! (clutches pearls)

Dawn Sheen says:

Morn-ting all you non-muther ducking factors!

So, can somebody use the pic of Miguel as they gravi (Not u Blu, u got enough going on)

LaTechGrad02 says:

Morning SR Fam!

Wearing my Non MF Factor tank top with my Wasn’t Not Funny shorts to work today. Sandra can we get a Baketball Wives post today?

TruGemini says:

WHY does not being an advocate of gay/lesbian relationships imply that you’re “bitter and broken”? Homosexuals always feel like people are supposed to accept and understand their lifestyle. And then act a pure-ty donkey when it doesn’t happen that way. I don’t have anything against a person who is gay/lesbian…but I do not agree w/the lifestyle. Point blank period.

Run says:

Being Gay is no different than any other sin in the bible, if you belive in the bilble, then all sinners gone burn in hell, so if your life is not right, judging a gay or lesbian, aint gone save you..# justsayin :nono:

ohpretty1 says:

Sandra is being so nice. She knows it isn’t a ‘rumor’ that King is DL.

The one time I visited the newest location, it was a anti-homosexual sermon that was filled with hate speech, IMO. You can preach the word without pointing fingers (judging) and she didn’t. I can’t get with hypocrites in the pulpit. It’s said that she’s scheduled for an interview on a local gospel station today.

Fayla says:

…I wonder if he had on pants under that frock in the 1st pic :think:
    moanin All :yawn:

ELove says:

@TruGemini and @ohpretty1
    Great Comments IMO :thumbsup:

Good Morning PEEPS !!!

LaTechGrad02 says:

Hey Blu’s, what’s up?

Feline Feminine says:

her face is lookin’ a lil’ masculine in that second pic…

RoderickXYZ says:

TruGemini says:

Wow. Go back and read what Sandra said “in context”. Sandra was referring to those people who are on the DL and are the fire-breathing anti-gays not heteros who are comfortable with their sexual orientation.

Mother Jefferson says:

@ TruGemini have you ever met a gay person that was not accepting of heterosexual lifestyle?

Anyway, Yolanda and Coretta are turning over in their graves while Bernice associates herself with fools. Point. Blank. Period.

ohpretty1 says:

Thanks @ ELove and top of the morning to you to. Morning all.

Fayla says:

…I wonder if he had on pants under that frock in the 1st pic
    ——-

Nope just his rosary beads & a church bell (nt to be confused w/ anal beads although he prob had them too which would explain why he is not sitting all the way down)

Feline Feminine says:

her face is lookin’ a lil’ masculine in that second pic…

—–

Eddie or Bernie? (King, not Mac)

Whats Up Yall?

WHy can’t people say they dont like/ agree with Homosexual relationships?
    It doesnt matter if you’ve ever met a gay person that doesn’t accept Hetro. You can’t force some one to change their beliefs. Oh you like that let me change my life so we can all think alike. :no:

YSoSerious says:

I don’t know what to say about Ms. Kang but anybody still blindly supporting Eddie Shlong needs to reexamine their loyalties.

Morning and chit. :yawn:

ALBoy says:

YSO good morning you okay? :coffee:

Fayla says:

Fayla says:

…I wonder if he had on pants under that frock in the 1st pic
    ——-

:rofl: :rofl:

YSoSerious says:

And while one does not have to agree with homosexuality one shouldn’t condemn gay people knowing they are gay themselves. That’s the height of hypocrisy.

Whats Up Yall?

WHy can’t people say they dont like/ agree with Homosexual relationships?
    —–

All I live my life by is “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” <—Jesus said that.

I got my own sins…I may not be gay but I surly have broken pretty much all commandments except like 2.5 of them.

LaTechGrad02 says:

This is going to be an interesting discussion :popcorn:

YSoSerious says:

@ALBOY

I’m good.

Spent some time with the fam, had some good BBQ, didn’t get shot or robbed…That’s a good weekend in Chi in summer weather. :lol:

Dawn Sheen says:

Thank you Yso!! I love ur gravi… I just broke out my riding boots!

Fayla says:

:cosign:

Hey YSo :waves:

LaTechGrad02 says:

This is going to be an interesting discussion
    —-

Nope, it won’t be. I am off today and I will be here in full force clearing the room everytime it gets stuffy like a silent poot.

Feline Feminine says:

@Dawn

Bernie… Bernie Kang!

ALBoy says:

@ Yso you right. @ Dawn whats Up Ma? You right about that I dont Judge people I got my own stuff going on too. I dont agree with bashing folks for what they do but If you say something that is actually helpful thats a different thing.

YSoSerious says:

:hug: and :waves: @ FAYLA & DAWN

Hey FEFE!! :yahoo:

ALBoy says:

@ Yso thats cool I had a good time cooked all weekend had fam over yesterday snatched up my sisters friends lil boy for hitting my lil girl. I wanted to choke him out but he was only 3. oh Da Bulls?? I was routing for D Rose :coffee:

ELove says:

I CAN’T EVEN begin to keep up with the name changing (That’s Going On…)

Morning Ms. Luscious

@YSO
    I HATE Hypocrites TOO :yes:

ALBoy says:

@ YSo is that Alex in your gravi?

—–

Yea man, I used to throw stones like I owned a rock quarry. Then life taught me I don’t chit sherbert nor piss gingerale… so I try to be mindful of my stones.

LaTechGrad02 says:

@Dawn, I fele ya. It’s still an interesting discussion and it’s interesting to hear both sides on this topic to me. My best friend is a gay man so I’m all about gay rights and supporting the gay community but I’m not going to hate on anyone who doesn’t feel the same way. We still have a long way to go in terms of tolerance and acceptance. We might have to accept that we’ll never quite reach that point in this lifetime or the next :)

ALBoy says:

@ YSo is that Alex in your gravi?
    —-

When Alex come out my bathroom I’m let her see what u wrote..

Feline Feminine says:

‘sup yso! :waves:

ELove says:

I CAN’T EVEN begin to keep up with the name changing (That’s Going On…)

Don’t fret.. we call related to Blu.. I am his mothers cousin on his uncle daddy side.

ELove says:

@ALBoy
    You better than me Bruh… I would’ve slip that Lil Bad-Boy a LAXATIVE and Sat Back to enjoyed the rest of the Day :coffee:

ALBoy says:

@ Dawn :lol: i was like that then life taught me what compassion was and why you should always have it.

LaTechGrad02 says:

—–

We can’t even supply clean water, mosquito nets, education, housing to under develpoed places we got a long way to go on a lot of stuff.

We still worrying about who does Lil Wayne dreads and chit.

YSoSerious says:

@ALBOY

We are not talking about Da Bulls anymore. This just wasn’t our time is all.

But how bout them Lakers?

(sounds of a sweeping broom)

ALBoy says:

@ Elove you better believe when I grabbed him up it was all kinds of meat between my fingers you know how you grab a puppy by the neck :coffee:

free says:

hard to believe niecy is an elder in the church and didn’t know what was going on. where is her spirit of discernment?

the blind leading the blind.

LaTechGrad02 says:

True. True. Wrong priorities worldwide.

ALBoy says:

@ Dawn i was like that then life taught me what compassion was and why you should always have it.

Yea man, hurting people ain’t no joke… I got tired of being the mouthy person. I’d rather not have an opinion rather than express one that hurts.

free says:

the blind leading the blind
    —-

I am pretty sure she was aware, its like when a husband is cheating, the wife usually knows but overlooks it or like when a child is bad.. u ignore it until she comes home 13 and pregnant.

ALBoy says:

:blink: @ Yso I wasnt be hurtful I waited like a week Dont worry about those Lakers can’t win them all. :coffee:

Mother Jefferson says:

@ ALBoy

Its not about thinking alike, it’s about courtesy. Gay people automatically accept heterosexual lifestyle because there are more straight then gay people in the world. Straight people can at least return the favor to people that are gay. If more people did that we wouldn’t have this foolishness going on in the house of the Lord.

I alway tingle just a little when I log in and see 69 comments

ALBoy says:

@ Mother Jefferson to me its not natural but I get what you’re saying it the same to me as those guys from NAMBLA. They say the same thing if more people would be open to it then it would make life better for everybody. I dont Agree! :no:

ALBoy says:

@ Lucious thats how you gone act I made a point not to dog any of you guys teams :no: I thought we was better than that

Jessie says:

Mother Jefferson said:

@ ALBoy

___________________________________________________________________
    That comment was pure ignorance and nonsense.

Al
    I apologize :crying: <<<< facial

*pulls out peaches hopin to make AL feel better*

TruGemini says:

___________________________________________

I know plenty of gay people/couples and to be honest, I have never had the conversation w/them concerning whether or not they accept my lifestyle. But at the same time, I am not acting a fool because they don’t choose to live the way I live; I’m not constantly shoving it down their throats trying to make them understand or accept that the way I live is the way I live. And nothing about them being gay changes our friendship. I don’t judge them…I just don’t agree with it.

Fayla says:

Hi LA! my bff is gay as well except she’s a “stud”, but when i tell u that she doesn’t give a d@mn abt gay rights pls believe me! she doesn’t think gays should marry (she’s okay with civil union), can’t stand gay clubs (although she used to club alot), & only has a couple gay friends. but she loves women & wouldn’t be caught dead in any kind of sexual situation with a man. We’ve been bff’s 20 years. I was with her b4 she came out & was upset with her bc she thought i wouldn’t be her friend anymore once i found out. i was so :mad: at that! I asked her y she thought i would do her like that & didn’t she know my love 4 her was unconditional? she said she knew that, but was still scared..

ELove says:

@free
    Ohhhhhhh SHE definitely KNEW… She was BLINDED by THAT MONEY !!!

@YSO
    Well you should be JUST GIDDY that Mike Brown was hired by the Lakers then because they won’t be contending for NBA TITLES (No Time Soon…) :coffee:

LaTechGrad02 says:

Hi Fayla!! That’s a true friendship right there, 20 years strong :)

Queen_City Gem says:

***sucking my teeth***

How yall know that lady gay? Just cuz she look like a dude and sit like a dude and hang out wit a dude that like dudes don’t mean she gay…

:no: shole don’t!

YSoSerious says:

What do we mean when we say “acceptance”?

Are we saying accept that it exists or accept that there is nothing wrong with with being gay?

I’m one of those that believes the latter but not everyone agrees. And they don’t have to as long as they are respectful/not hateful.

I think it’s just as intolerant to tell someone that they should just “accept” homosexuality and never disagree with any aspect of it. As long as they are not gay-bashing and causing pain to others, they can feel how they want imo. :shrugs:

ELove says:

@Fayla
    She was SCARED because she wanted to HIT DAT Also… Good that y’all are STILL Close Friends (THOSE are hard to come by Nowadays…) :coffee:

YSoSerious says:

@ELOVE

Can’t you tell from my Gravi? My heart is just all aflutter. :grin:

Fayla says:

ELove says:

@Fayla

we see each other as sisters so that would be incest & that’s a :nono: (no offense Blu) :rofl:

Jay Bee says:

They rise and fall.. the money fame celebrity can be taken away so easily, this goes for all. At the end of the day you dont need all these riches, its ok to be modest. Thank God for Jesus he still love you BEL, now go ahead and regroup away from it all

West Coast Chick says:

It saddens me when gay folk call other folks “gay”, as if its an offensive word… sandra, not everyone is gay. FACT!

1 Pingbacks

[...] and the 4 men who accused him of sexual misconduct, longtime Long supporter and New Birth Elder, Bernice King also made a wise decision to separate herself (and the King family name) from New [...]