Police: 20-year-old woman faked ‘KKK’ hate crime

Police say a 20-year-old Louisiana woman faked a hate crime by setting herself on fire and blaming her injuries on the Ku Klux Klan. Sharmeka Moffitt called 911 from a city park in rural north Louisiana on Sunday. When police and paramedics arrived on the scene they found Moffitt burned over 90% of her body.

Moffitt is in critical condition at a Shreveport hospital. Her car was found spray painted with racial slurs including the letters ‘KKK’. Early reports indicated that Moffitt was wearing a Barack Obama t-shirt when she was assaulted, leading the FBI to investigation the case as a so-called “Hate crime.”

But further analysis of a cigarette lighter and a bottle of lighter fluid at the scene linked the items to the victim — and no one else.

“This was not an attack, but a self-inflicted incident,” Winnsboro Police Chief Lester Thomas said at a Tuesday press conference.

Moffitt’s case prompted emails to this blogger from readers who accused the national media of ignoring the story because Moffitt was black and an Obama supporter.

Moffitt’s accusations is reminiscent of Tawana Brawley, who was 15 in 1987 when she accused six white NYPD police officers of raping her, scrawling racial slurs on her body, and discarding her in a dumpster.

The Tawana Brawley case inflamed racial tensions in New York that subsided only after it was determined that she made the story up to avoid the wrath of her mother after she stayed out past her curfew.

• Racial tensions escalate ahead of presidential election
  • Andrew Sullivan: ‘Did Obama just throw the entire election away?’
  • Obama Campaign: “Vote like your lady parts depend on it”
  • Black people love Mitt Romney

117 Responses to “Police: 20-year-old woman faked ‘KKK’ hate crime”

SugarPieHoneybunn says:

What a disgrace!! This woman must really be sick. Even if all she wanted was attention, she couldnt think of a better way to do it than to burn her damn self to a fukkin crisp?? What a fukkin embarrassment to the black race. Im glad our president never spoke on this crap. #dumbass

And she wore an Obama t-shirt when she did it. She’s a sick woman. :no:

DeevaC says:

She needs to be institutionalized, charged with filing a false police report, and be forced to pay the city for all the man power that went into investigating this bs.

Truth says:

SMH… It was reported that she wasn’t even wearing an Obama t-shirt… What in the heck was she thinking?

Truth says:

Since the comments are off in Mrs. Brown’s post ~
      H A P P Y B I R T H
      A N N I V E R S A R Y
      M O N I C A!!!

SugarPieHoneybunn says:

Yes she is really sick Miss Rose. I feel sorry for her family

missmiami says:

:mad: exactly why it’s important to get the facts first. she is sick and needs help :lipssealed:

AlluringlySweet says:

I will pray for her. If her burns are that extensive she has a loooong way to go before recovery much less an indictment of any kind. I know she regrets this decision….the debriefings alone “shudders”. She needs prayer on all levels.

JJSPLAYHOUSE says:

WOW! Was this a stunt for attention or a plot to fuel the flames of Hate that are already surrounding this election??? Just….wow :blink:

kingstonn says:

this is just like that lady who threw acid on herself and said a black woman did it. mental illness is real. :no:

BigCityGirl says:

What a PAINFUL experience! WOW…just WOW….prayers going up…

Tainted_Love says:

She needs psychological help!! Smh. Why would she fake such a thing…? People are actually out here facing hate crimes and now they will probably be not taken as seriously because of this sick lady

zurishay says:

Someone on here said the whole thing could be fake and to not jump to conclusions. I guess they were right. This story does remind me of the acid lady.. I hope that isnt her daughter in the pic. If she could burn up herself like fried chicken she would surely do it to her daughter as well. Someone save the baby! Smhhhhhhh

tintin1979 says:

how much you wanna bet she did all of this over a man!!

lovezoe says:

Sad. I hope she gets the help she needs.

lovezoe says:

A part of me believes its fake and another part Of me believes another police coverup.

georgia queen says:

LadeeA says:

Police say she faked it? Ion trust no coppers. I’ll wait for more info.

If she did lie, she used the oldest white trick in the book. White folks been lyin on black folks since slavery days.

tintin1979 says:

i hate clips in kids hair, even bubbles i just hate that. don’t know why it’s just one of my peeves.

free says:

tintin1979 says: how much you wanna bet she did all of this over a man!!

**************************

that’s what i heard on the radio this morning :coffee:

free says:

georgia queen says: I won’t believe its fake based on some small town police investigation, which I’m sure is still going on. I will wait for more facts to come out. Who the hell would set themselves on fire?

**********************************

this was my first thought. they said they found her fingerprints on the lighter and lighter fluid bottle or whatever she used. i’m curious to see what the family has to say.

smearing oneself with shyt (tawanna) and immolating oneself are two entirely different things. bytch is cray.

bbclivy says:

SHE IS A FOOL AND NEEDS HER A$$ BEAT :spank:

bbclivy says:

OOH HEY GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY! :hi:

This fool :no: Idiot ! sn: Monica is so pretty up top! She is trully naturally beautiful ! Morning folks :waves: Auntie, Roses !!!! I will font later, headed out for my walk !!!!!!!

lovezoe says:

The family released a statement asking for privacy

Milky says:

It takes an insane mind to light urself on fire!!! She should be directed to the nearest mental institution. When there really is a hate crime committed they are going to think someone is crying wolf! So disappointed in her. :mad:

Good Morning :wave:
      jenie
      lovezoe
      free
      bbc
      tintin

Happy :hump: Day!!

NaijaGal says:

This is why I don’t jump on any bandwagon…research before you start marching for fooolishness…hope she gets the help she needs, the thirst is real and comes in all forms

NaijaGal says:

:happybirthday: Monica

lovezoe says:

Chris Brown’s recently-dumped ex Karrueche Tran still believes she has a future with the singer — in fact, Karrueche is telling friends, she’s not gonna stop trying to get with CB just because Rihanna’s back in the picture. Sources close to Karrueche tell TMZ, she was hurt when Brown gave her the axe a few weeks ago … but she never stopped loving him — and now, she is on a mission to get him back. We’re told Karrueche got used to a certain level of celebrity while dating the singer, and she’s not ready to “go back to being basic” — even if that means messing around with Brown, while he’s messing with RiRi. Eventually, we’re told Karrueche hopes to edge Rihanna back out of the picture.Case in point — Karrueche and CB were spotted hanging out together Monday in Burbank, CA … two days after Rihanna and CB were spotted together in L.A. As we previously reported, CB broke up with Karrueche earlier this month — citing RiRi as the reason — saying, “I love Karrueche very much but I don’t want to see her hurt over my friendship with Rihanna.”

—————-
      How said is that.

NaijaGal says:

sources said yesterday she was over him and moving on…frankly who really gives fcuk

NaijaGal says:

georgia queen says:

========================
      the same kind of person that throws acid on themselves and says a black woman did it :tea:

lovezoe says:

Re: the iPad mini. I admit I’m an apple fanatic. BUT, that price is crazy. You can get an iPad 2 for 70 bucks more. This new guy is not handling things well at all.

Milky says:

how much is the mini ipad? It should be substantially lower, but that would be too much like right!!

:hi: naija

lovezoe says:

Milky- :hugs: hey!! It’s 329

bnatural says:

NaijaGal says:

georgia queen says:

========================
      —————————-

:cosign:

cheeks8683 says:

But to set yourself on FIRE of all thinks…. :blink: That’s like the most painful thing ever…So I guess she has a high tolerance for pain :shrug: I’m telling you, these stories here lately have me wanting to dial up Webster to re-define the word crazy…

:offtopic: I watched the Benji Wilson 30 for 30 last night on ESPN… I really wish I had not watched it… Broke my heart. Him laying in the casket with his uniform on :wail:

Morning Fam! :wave:

NaijaGal says:

MILKY :hi: you at 100%?

Milky says:

@lovezoe thanks babes i was thinking about getting my oldest son one for Christmas, but i might as well by the ipad2 or 3.

missmiami says:

It’s raining and nothing On Demand. I’m watching ARE WE THERE YET. NIA LONG IS SO GORGEOUS :tea:

Milky says:

@naija yes ma’am still a little scratchy throat, but much much better! Thanks for asking bew!

NaijaGal says:

Apple probably came out with it to make money off Christmas…but again if you don’t like it, don’t buy it…never had an Apple rep put a gun to my head to buy their products :shrug:

WorkInProgress says:

WHAT in the WHAT?? Her burnt ass still deservesd a good :spank: ing and then locked away in a :kona: just pure foolish.

that is a beautiful pic of Monica. :happybirthday:

cougar lover says:

how she, how she go about doing that to herself. i have to talk myself up to try and remove a splinter from a finger on my own. how she think of the idea, go to buy the accelerant, proceed to douse herself, then flick the lighter, and sit there :huh:

Milky says:

@cougar not to mention she put racial slurs on her car and called the police! I dont even see how she even had the strength to call after setting herself on fire, maybe she called before. I just cant wrap my brain around it at all. Maybe becuz im not crazy!!!

MsB says:

Good Morning everyone :waves:

@cheeks8683 I watched it also and I was in tears… When they were talkin about how his mom asked them to open the casket, so she could see him one last time :crying:

WorkInProgress says:

@ cougar Exactly! I can’t even burst a pimple on my friggin face much less set my body on fire.

lovezoe says:

Milky- get the 3. We have one and I really like it. I wanted to get the kids the first one, but it’s a hard fine for the price I’m willing to pay.

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

I saw this. If she did indeed inflict this upon herself, then she needs to be institutionalized for it. If she wanted attention all she needed to do was post a vulgar video on world star…not that I condone it…but there are other ways. :shrug:

cheeks8683 says:

_____________________________________________________

Well I saw an episode of Forensic Files where a chick who was once very successful ended up losing her business and her marriage. Her son came home from school and found her burned over 95% of her body but she was still breathing. They initally thought her ex did it but later found out she set herself ablaze after finding pieces of her skin throughout the house from where she walked from the backyard (where she set herself on fire)into the house while on fire. The big tell tell sign was that her palms were completely un-burned. Apparently that is where she held the lighter that she used to do the deed in one hand. The other hand she was able to hold in a fist the whole time so yeah….if you’re cray, you’re cray!

missmiami says:

@ cheeks why did she burn herself? That is nuts

bnatural says:

cheeks8683 says:

But to set yourself on FIRE of all thinks…. That’s like the most painful thing ever…So I guess she has a high tolerance for pain I’m telling you, these stories here lately have me wanting to dial up Webster to re-define the word crazy…

Morning Fam!
      ——————————

I watched the Benji story too last night :sad: it was such a tragedy…..way too soon AND to make matters worse…the violence in Chicago has only gotten worse.

I had hoped that the girlfriend/baby momma was there or at least his adult son who should be nearly 30 now…

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

Oh and good morning loves :tea:

NaijaGal says:

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

=====================
      nah she wanted that sympathy kind of attention

cheeks8683 says:

________________________________________________________________

Yes…girl too much…A good friend of mine died 2 years ago, real tall and kinda favored Benji, he was only 24. That church was PACKED. I couldnot even make it to the cemetary…I was done after the slide show…. :wail:

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

@Naija still could have did something online for that :lol: I wouldnt burn MYSELF and risk getting handicap pay… :no:

Trendsetter says:

:tea:

MsB says:

__________________________________________________________________________

Yes way too much!

AlluringlySweet says:

So much of this story makes no sense. Not the why part but the how. Just because her fingerprints were on the accelerant and the can doesn’t mean someone didn’t use gloves. I have a hard time believing she called the police and was ,not only, coherent enough to tell them she was on fireand way she was set on fire. I don’t know.

tld007 says:

So will they be placing her in a mental facility for attempted suicide?

Crickett says:

It’s funny that when I heard about this story I didn’t believe it, sad. Mental health is real, she was hurting about something.

AlluringlySweet says:

*meant lighter and accelerant

cheeks8683 says:

@ Missmiami- She felt like a failure and did not want to live anymore…I was like you can decide not to live anymore by taking some pills…I’m not condoning suicide but dang, why make it more painful for yourself :shrug:
      ____________________________________________________________________
      I watched the Benji story too last night it was such a tragedy…..way too soon AND to make matters worse…the violence in Chicago has only gotten worse.

__________________________________________________________________

I read on a blog somewhere that the BM has little contact with his family and her son did not even go to his grandmother’s funeral in 2000. Also, am I the only one that was PO’d that the murderer only served 19 years of his 40 year sentence. Fluck rehibilitation u killed that baby for street cred! And he shot him TWICE! Not to mention the dang hospital did not have proper staff to save him! Too many bad things in line at the same time!

<——gravi check

bnatural says:

cheeks8683 says:

____________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________

—————————–

I was utterly disgusted at his tale of the event!!!! I couldnt do anythig but SMH….that punk knows what he did….all for bumping into them….

The fact that he was walking around with a gun let me know he was up to no good….he is out living his life….BUT I am glad that he is working with transitional services for former inmates but still….made me so uncomfortable…

Wonder why the babymomma was so distant :thinking: You would think that it would be the opposite since Benji was so loved by his family and community.

:hi:
      razzle
      bnatural
      trend
      missmiami how u doing ma?

:newpost: pls Sandra and thank u

J Said it! says:

crazy demons! but that shiiiiit hurt harming yaself…like wth

Keesh says:

Morning Roses :waves:

I cant even read the story above…Just sick!

Happy BDAY Monica, still beautiful as ever. I have been a fan since you hit the scene in 1995! You are one the most under rated singers alive. Love you Mo and have a wonderful day!!!!

iyonah says:

This can’t be real… like, come on.

iyonah says:

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Birthday Mo!!!

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

…………..

lovezoe says:

Fashion question: what kind of top would be cute with a pair of oxfords?

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

hey milkey…

what kind of shirt are you looking at wearing? short sleeves or long?

NaijaGal says:

@LOVE – a button down

Gigi26 says:

SMFH. They should cease all treatment for this lying sack of shyt!

She wanna burn herself to death? Let her heal herself back to life…on her own :tea:

:hi: Everyone!!

The Pearl! says:

Someone said she’s an embarrassment to all black people — I used to think like this and then I got over that mentality. Hell! I didn’t raise this chick, ya know what I mean? She’s not related to me! Also, she clearly has some kind of mental illness. I’m still gonna walk with my head held high as hell — she’s got nothing to do with my self image.

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

>>>>>>>>>>>this<<<<<<<<<<<<<< close to just laying my head down or going out to my car and sleeping… fugg this shyt! :mad:

Smonae80 says:

Good Morning :waves:

Why the comments off on Mo I like her, we all know she a friend of the blog & like our logins

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

:lol: hey GiGi

cheeks8683 says:

Wonder why the babymomma was so distant You would think that it would be the opposite since Benji was so loved by his family and community.

_______________________________________________________________

But didn’t you notice how he did not tell his family he had a baby until he was already born? Part of me feels that she was at least partially blamed for what all went down. He was chasing after her when he was supposed to be at lunch with his friends. Plus another article I read had him involved with several girls at the time, which is to be expected being so young and successful. His son played a little bballa Maryland but dropped out. TThe due that killed him was so matter of fact…I mean I know it was almost 30 years ago but dang…U had a gun and he didn’t…end of story…Just sad…

DownBottom says:

:no: This is so sad…she must seriously be a mental case :shrug:

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

hhhhhhhey smonae

:hi:
      smonae
      gigi
      creamy
      lovezoe
      iyonah
      keesh
      cheek
      jsaid

Off topic: i am not about this work life today! i feel like razzle!

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

sure hopes no one walks in that’s important…. :zzz:

:hi:
      down
      and anybody else i have missed!

DownBottom says:

:whip: MILKYYYY!!! ROFL @ that gravi

Trendsetter says:

Morning Milky

thanks bottom i luv :whip: :lipssealed:

Gigi26 says:

Heyy Razzle and Milkaaaay!!

Cheeks: You got me googling this story about Benji…dude was CAYUTE! But GAT DAYUM they had 741 murders that year in the Chi :no:

MsB says:

Moments like these I am so grateful my boss works in a different building :yawn: I’m being lazy today :yes:

just. SAD! Father help this crazy ash woman :pray:

happy burfday Mo! :partyhat: :party:

that pic is Beautiful gurl!!!

iyonah says:

Off topic: i am not about this work life today! i feel like razzle!

:cosign: ^^^ … Where is my pillow?

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

Ok Milkaaaaaay! I didnt get to sleep until after midnight and then woke up like an hour later to go tinkle then had an even harder time getting back to sleep only to wake up at 5:15…. :zzz:

cheeks8683 says:

______________________________________________________________________

:yes: and smart too… He had so much going for him

DownBottom says:

@Gigi, Chi-town is like a modern day human wasteland…or graveyard state…chit is sad :no:

Disclaimer: No offense to those that reside in the city and/or are from the city :tea:

Cops cover chit up all the time. :coffee:

AWESOME says:

There were some things that didn’t add up in that Benji story, like how they glossed over his gang ties.

Chicago has always been dangerous, I don’t know why folks are acting like it’s getting worse. Murders are actually down from the 70s, 80s and 90s but they are on an upswing.

hotmess says:

Wow her life must have been really bad to do this.

bnatural says:

cheeks8683 says:

_______________________________________________________________

————————–

I agree…something is so OFF with this story…I think that people were hinting at it last night but didn’t want to say anything. I’m just so bothered that the babymomma didn’t want to participate…it’s been nearly 30 years though….

boistop says:

Hey ladies
      Ummmmmmmmm don’t believe she set herself on fire! Nope they need more people

Trendsetter says:

DownBottom says:

_____________________________________________

No offense taken…however, media portray it to be worse than what it actually is…but every city has crime…I reside in Chicago and I love it…yea you have some areas that at worse than others..but all in all it’s a great city!

Gigi26 says:

———————————————————————–
      See i’m not from Chicago but it could’ve been true because watching one of the previews they said that they did everything in their power to keep him out of trouble…not to say that he was an Angel but they had high hopes for him and didn’t want the pressure of the “block” to take him away from his true potential.

Gigi26 says:

@Trend: I love Chicago, every time I visit I fall in love with it more :yes:

Its just like any city you visit in the US, you have your great parts and you have your bad parts. DC is the same exact way. I know where to keep my ass, and where to stay away from. :shrugs:

iyonah says:

boistop says:

Hey ladies
      Ummmmmmmmm don’t believe she set herself on fire! Nope they need more people

^^^
      That’s why I said… this is unreal.

MsB says:

:newpost: On 5head tyra and her bf

Smonae80 says:

:hug: Milky & Bedazzled
      Hey Bnatural
      MsB I wish my damn boss worked in another building, ain’t feeling this today :yawn:

DownBottom says:

@Trend, That goes w/o saying…that’s why I put the disclaimer :shrug:

AWESOME says:

@Gigi They were looking out for themselves. Every other sentence from them dudes was about how he was gonna get them out of the hood. You had to peep some of their clothing and mannerisms. Kinda like how you can take a dboy anywhere and he can spot out who’s holding.

MsChavo says:

Yea, I was thinking who said it was fake? And aunty, why are you so quick to believe the investigation, just because the police say its one thing?

MsB says:

Smonae80 says:

Milky & Bedazzled
      Hey Bnatural
      MsB I wish my damn boss worked in another building, ain’t feeling this today

___________________________________________________________________________

It’s a blessing and a curse b/c when I need things done he is the biggest procratinator and it takes forever to get done :mad:

Mr.BluPhi says:

______________________________________________________________________

Linking the lighter and fluid to the “victim” doesn’t mean that someone else didn’t do it….

is there spray paint residue on her hands….can we hear the 911 call….does she have a history of mental health issues????

Im not gonna jump on any bandwagon, but I shole aint taking a Louisiana police department word as truth.

WalkingKontradiction says:

Two things make me side-eye this story 1)When reports initially came out that SHE was wearing an Obama t-shirt news sources went nuts saying that was NOT true and NOW they want to back-track and say that she was wearing it only because 2)they have concluded in what like 2-days time that she set herself on fire because her fingerprints were on the lighter and accelerant?

Not saying the story is true or false but come on now, people have interests to protect and from what I hear of that city in MS it’s not too far-fetched.

Hell I had a cousin “supposedly” shoot himself in the back seat of the car (according to everyone else in the car) yet when the autopsy was done no gun residue was found on his hands and he had no gloves on. So someone got a way with murder. Wouldn’t be the first or last time.

WalkingKontradiction says:

_______________________________________

Yep @MrBluphi I just caught this. Linked the items to the victim and no one else????? Seriously….wtf does that mean? People can be shot with their own guns…..does that mean someone else didn’t shoot them.

All I know is, until an investigative report comes out that actually answers questions and makes sense, I’m side-eying the whole situation.

spiceykay says:

I like Monica. Happy Birthday

ReadingIsFundamental says:

She is a dumb ass. Need more be assumed?