Actress Ion Overman is among 19 people indicted for federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) fraud in Atlanta, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
Since all 19 defendants had business ties in Atlanta or live in Atlanta, they were charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of Georgia.
The separate indictments linked the fraudulent PPP loan applications to a single Atlanta-based businessman who was paid a fee for each successful loan.
Overman, 45, is best known for her roles as Det. Elena Ruiz in CBS' Wisdom of the Crowd, Candace Jewell in The L Word (pictured with Jennifer Beals), and as Linda, Derek Luke's fiancée in Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail.
She also had a recurring role as Maria Scott in Desperate Housewives.
Also indicted were music producer Carlos "Clos" Stephens, actor Dale Godboldo, and media personality Marvin Lewton, aka "Shadi Powers."
Mark C. Mason Jr., of Atlanta, was charged separately in the six other lawsuits as an "unindicted co-conspirator," according to court documents obtained by the AJC.
According to the documents, Mason is accused of submitting fraudulent PPP loan applications for two of his own businesses, Atlanta Business Capital and Advocate Business Capital. He received nearly $600,000. He is also accused of assisting the other defendants in submitting fraudulent PPP loan applications.
If the loans applications were successful, Mason assessed a "success fee" of between 2-5%, the documents said.
One of the defendants, Melissa Myrick, who worked for the IRS, allegedly supplied Mason with signed PPP applications that contained blank spaces for the number of employees.
Mason reportedly filed in the missing information after speaking with the other defendants.
The complete list of defendants are:
- David Burge, of Tennessee, CEO, and president of Elemental Comfort LLC
- Gina Destito, of California, owner of HomePoppins.com LLC
- Jim White, of New Jersey, owner of AJW Home Services and Design LLC
- Richard Mahee, of New Jersey, owner, and president of ARG Media LLC
- Kristen Alexander, of Colorado
- Morgan Brown, of Tennessee, owner and CEO of BHG LLC
- Michael McGee Jr., of Georgia, owner of Arc Michael Logistics LLC
- Marcos Soza, of Arizona, owner of Yes Auto Sales Inc
- Melissa Myrick, of Florida, an employee with the IRS
- Michael Myrick, of Florida, owner of MYCO Enterprises LLC
- Kirk Codrington, of North Carolina, owner of KC Global Enterprises Inc
- Dereck Clark, of Florida, owner of Dee's Landscaping LLC
- Darius McCants, of Alabama, CEO, and owner of BBF Inc
- Dondre Berry, of Georgia, CEO and owner of Houzzit Inc
- Mark C. Mason Jr., of Georgia, owner of Atlanta Business Capital