Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

CNN anchor Andy Scholes has apologized for insensitive remarks he made during a live broadcast following Tiger Woods' rollover car accident on Tuesday.

Woods, 45, underwent a "long surgical procedure" on his right leg and ankle following a single-car crash near Los Angeles just after 7 a.m. local time.

The iconic golfer had just left his hotel, and was speeding in his Genesis GV80 sports utility vehicle when he lost control of the SUV at a curve in the road.

The vehicle crossed a divider and smashed into trees before rolling over multiple times and coming to rest on its side in a ditch near Rancho Palos Verdes, California.

Scholes, who was anchoring a CNN segment hours after the crash, said, "Stunned I guess, but not entirely surprised by, you know, what we're seeing here."

He added:

"Tiger, back in 2017, was found by police, pulled over to the side of the road. You know, asleep in his car. He had said he had taken a lot of painkillers at that time. Because, as well all know, Tiger has undergone a lot of surgeries over the years and painkillers have become a part of his life."

Scholes' remarks prompted a furious backlash on social media, including from his peers in mainstream media.

"This is just irresponsible journalism," tweeted Hemal Jhaveri, an editor for USA Today Sports. "We don't know anything yet. CNN needs to get some real sports reporters."

Scholes repeatedly apologized to Twitter users, saying, "Sorry didn't mean for it to come out that way."

Woods remains hospitalized as he recovers from surgery to stabilize bones in his lower right leg.
 

Automotive experts say the Genesis GV80 Woods was driving may have saved the golfing icon's life.

Woods is pictured standing next to the car he was driving at the time of the accident.

Among the SUV's safety features is a blind-spot monitor with "collision-avoidance assist" technology, a "driver attention warning" system, and "semi-autonomous driving mode" that adapts over time to the owner's typical driving style.

The SUV also features a fortified frame that absorbs impact during rollovers.

Noam Galai/Getty Images

Fox News anchor Tucker Carlson has obtained a leaked recording of a "shocking" phone conversation between CNN anchor Chris Cuomo and President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen.

Cuomo is the brother of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who is under investigation by the Justice Department for sending Coronavirus-infected patients into nursing homes, killing thousands or elderly people earlier this year.

"Cohen and the governor’s brother had a pretty shocking conversation," Carlson said on Friday night. "Bottom line, Chris Cuomo is not the person he pretends to be on CNN. And there is more. This is a developing story. We'll have all of it for you next week. Tune in."

Carlson updated his viewers on Monday, saying the recording "raises a number of questions about [Cuomo's] personal behavior off the air."

Carlson said his team sent a copy of the recording to CNN's head of strategic communications Matt Dornic and CNN chief media correspondent Brian Stelter.

"We haven't heard back yet. We're going to give them tonight to respond, and we're going to update you tomorrow. We hope that they will respond," Carlson said before signing off on Monday.

The FBI seized 12 tapes during a raid on Cohen's New York office in the summer of 2018.

Cohen later pleaded guilty to charges of tax fraud, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations for hush money payments to women who claimed they had sex with Trump before he was elected president.

Kellyanne Conway, who last week announced her resignation as White House counselor, participated in a 32-minute interview with Cuomo in Aug. 2018. She pressed him to discuss what he said on the tape.

"Tons of stuff," Cuomo said before explaining why he wouldn't talk about the tape publicly.

"[Cohen] asked me not to record it, I said, 'I won't.' He said, 'Just to be careful, let me have your phone,' I said, 'Here.' He then said, 'We'll take our phones. I'll put them away.' He did. He then recorded me on a secondary device."

Asked how he felt about being secretly recorded, Cuomo said he believed Cohen's actions were "dishonest" and "a bad thing to do."

Cuomo claimed he had nothing to worry about.

"You know what we talked about in the conversation? I'm not going to tell you, you know why? Because it was off-the-record, and I respect that, even though he did me wrong. That's called integrity," Cuomo said.

Gilbert Carrasquillo/GC Images

The bicyclist who was called a "jackass" and "loser" by Chris Cuomo in a recent radio rant filed a police report against the CNN anchor on Monday.

Cuomo expressed frustration with his job as a million-dollar cable TV anchor who can't fire back at people who confront him in public.

In an audio clip circulating on social media, Cuomo said he is unhappy at his current job - and he's willing to walk away from his 7-figure salary.

Directing his anger at the cyclist who confronted him in public, Cuomo said, "I want to be able to tell you to go to hell, to shut your mouth."

The cyclist, who identified himself only as Dave, told the New York Post he was surprised to see Cuomo playing with his family at the site where he is building a home in East Hampton on Easter Sunday.

"I just looked and said, 'Is that Chris Cuomo? Isn't he supposed to be on quarantine?'"

Dave said he confronted Cuomo, and asked him why he left Southampton if he was supposed to be on quarantine. "I said to him, 'Your brother is the coronavirus czar, and you're not even following his rules -- unnecessary travel.'"

Dave said Cuomo responded, "'Who the hell are you?! I can do what I want! I'll find out who you are!'"

Dave claimed Cuomo threatened him, saying, "This is not the end of this. You'll deal with this later. We will meet again."

Cuomo previously told CNN viewers he contracted the coronavirus and was self-quarantining in the basement of his Southampton, New York home.

The 49-year-old anchor discussed his coronavirus symptoms at length in daily reports from his basement. His embellished symptoms led many to question whether he was sick with the virus at all.

His wary colleague, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, advised Cuomo to take a break away from the camera.

On Tuesday, Cuomo denied expressing dissatisfaction with his job at CNN -- even though his rant is on audio. He said he loved his job.

According to gossipmongers, Chris vented his frustration at CNN because his bosses allegedly asked him to show proof that he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images

CNN anchor Chris Cuomo threatened to quit his job in a podcast rant about his COVID-19 diagnosis and job safety.

In an audio clip circulating on social media, Cuomo said he is unhappy at his current job - and he's willing to walk away from his 7-figure salary.

Cuomo threatened to walk "...because I don't want to spend my time doing things that I don't think are valuable enough to me personally. Like what? Well, I don't like what I do professionally. I've decided, I like doing this show. I like talking to you guys. But I don't value indulging irrationality, hyper partisanship, I don't think it's worth my time..."

Cuomo complained about a neighbor pulling up in the driveway next to his and getting in his face.

“And I don't want some jackass loser fat tire biker, um, to be able to pull over... and get in my face and in my space and talk bulls*t to me."

He added: "That matters to me more than making millions of dollars a year. That matters to me more. Why? Because I've saved my money."

Gilbert Carrasquillo/GC Images

Cuomo is the younger brother of New Jersey Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Chris Cuomo's outburst sparked speculation that he is quitting CNN to sign on as his brother's campaign manager.

Another rumor has it that Chris became disenchanted with CNN after his bosses asked him for proof that he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

The 49-year-old anchorman spent the past 2 weeks in his basement talking on and on about his COVID-19 diagnosis and his symptoms.

At one point, his wary colleague, Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta, asked him to take a break and step away from the TV camera.

Bill Cosby Talks to Don Lemon

Comedian and philanthropist Bill Cosby says there are some serious issues affecting black America and he knows how to solve them.

In an interview with CNN's Don Lemon, Cosby, 76, said black women are the majority head of households, and he wants to see more black men taking responsibility for their sons.

“I think it has to come from the universities,” he said. "I think, women, strongly because when you see 70 percent, in research, that says they are the leaders of the household, what we need is for people to realize I want to raise my kid. I want to go back and get my three kids. I want to take on that responsibility. I want to love my children.”

Cosby also criticized "no-gross" who don't provide solutions but are quick to blame him for focusing on the problems in the black community.

Read more »