Photo may have been deleted

WSB-TV

College Park Police said Officer Ivory Morris is in stable condition at Grady hospital in Atlanta after a teenager ran over him with a stolen SUV.

Morris told a WSB-TV reporter he looked directly into the teenagers eyes and chose not to draw his service weapon because he didn't want to kill someone's kid.

Morris said he was moonlighting at a part-time job at 1:30 a.m. Saturday when he received alerts that a stolen vehicle was in his area.

"I said, 'If it comes back to College Park,' I said, 'We on it,'" Morris told WSB.

"I was looking in that kid['s] eyes. I was like, 'I don't want to hurt this kid.' I didn't want to take nobody's kid away from them," Morris said.

He went to the Hilton Garden Inn at Millenium Center and spotted the stolen automobile in the parking lot, WSB-TV reported.

Morris saw a 15-year-old boy standing near the SUV. When the boy spotted Morris, he walked away from the vehicle. The 17-year-old boy behind the wheel sped away in the SUV, as Morris struggled with the 15-year-old.

At some point, the 17-year-old returned, and the 15-year-old jumped on the hood of the SUV -- with Morris still holding him.

"When I was on top of that car, I had my other hand free to reach for the gun. But I said, 'I don't want to. I don't want to pull it,'" Morris told WSB-TV.

The driver jerked the wheel of the SUV, sending both Morris and the boy sprawling on the ground.

Morris said that's when the driver intentionally ran over both of them and sped off.

The officer suffered a fractured leg and other internal injuries. The 15-year-old boy was also injured and hospitalized.

Morris' supervisor said he had every right to use lethal force against the 17-year-old driver who hit him with the SUV, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Morris said he was willing to sacrifice his life so a mother wouldn't mourn her kid.

"I was thinking, 'These are somebody's kids,'" he said.

The 17-year-old driver is still at large.

Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms expressed concerns about the NBA All-Star game coming to Atlanta.

The 2021 All-Star game is scheduled to take place on March 7 in Atlanta. But Mayor Bottoms has concerns about out-of-towners coming to a city already struggling with high crime.

Atlanta was wide open when other Democratic cities were locked down tight during the Covid-19 outbreak.

While other cities shut down businesses and nightclub venues, clubs in Atlanta are packed with maskless patrons every night.

Atlanta is battling a violent crime wave that shows no sign of slowing down. Out-of-towners are responsible for the spike in crime.

"I'm open to suggestions," Bottoms said after a 7-year-old girl was shot outside an upscale shopping mall in affluent Buckhead.

A woman was shot in a movie theater after she shushed two patrons in January. Camryn King, 20, and Yvonne Crawford, 22, were arrested by U.S. Marshals on Wednesday, Feb. 17. They will be extradited from Indiana to face trial.

The victim, who had been shot in the shoulder, was treated for non life-threatening injuries and released from a hospital.

Mayor Bottoms is concerned that the All-Star game will attract even more criminals to her besieged city.

"Under normal circumstances, we'd be grateful for the opportunity to host the NBA All-Star game, but this isn’t a typical year," Mayor Bottoms tweeted. "I have shared my concerns related to public health and safety with the NBA and Atlanta Hawks. We are in agreement that this is a made-for-TV event only, and people should not travel to Atlanta to party."

Photo may have been deleted

Photo may have been deleted

Fox5Atlanta.com

The manager of a fast food restaurant in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood is demanding answers from city officials after she was put on hold while trying to report a carjacking attempt.

City leaders and business owners have been working together on a plan to curb high crime in Atlanta's most affluent neighborhood, home to rapper Cardi B, singer Tyrese Gibson, and the governor of Georgia.

Karen Harris, the manager of Ru San's Sushi and Seafood in Buckhead, wants the city to do more to address crime, Fox 5 News reports.

"It certainly isn't the responsibility of our staff to catch the bad guy," said Harris, "That responsibility falls on our elected officials and our mayor."

"It's always been a safe place for our patrons in the community to walk and get great food," said Harris.

According to Harris, a customer left his child in his car parked outside the restaurant to pick up a to-go order on Saturday. She said a man attempted to break into the car and the child ran inside the restaurant to get help.

Photo may have been deleted

Fox5Atlanta.com

Staff members snapped photos of the man fleeing the area. This screengrab shows an employee on the phone with 911 while the suspect flees in the background.

"The concerning part was our employees were on hold with 911," said Harris, "Luckily, one of our employees knew an APD detective who she called who was able to dispatch APD."

Police arrested the carjacker and identified him as 34-year-old Andrew Robert Fike. Fike was booked into the Fulton County jail and charged with attempting to enter a vehicle, obstruction, loitering and prowling.

Atlanta's Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms recently addressed the high crime in Atlanta. Bottoms privately expressed support for the "Buckhead Security Plan” which includes sending up drones over Lenox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza and using metal detectors at the doors and drug sniffing dogs inside the malls.
 

Photo may have been deleted

11 Alive News

Another shooting in Atlanta's affluent Buckhead neighborhood has prompted a Buckhead group to push ahead with plans to secede from the city of Atlanta.

The fatal shooting of a man early Sunday is the latest incident in a violent crime wave in the prestigious community in northwest Atlanta.

Police say the man, age 40-50, was driving a Rolls-Royce on Piedmont Road near Sidney Marcus Boulevard when another vehicle pulled alongside and someone opened fire.

The driver, who was shot multiple times, lost control of the Rolls-Royce which slammed into a tree around 2:30 a.m. Sunday. He was pronounced dead at Grady Memorial Hospital that same day.

According to 11 Alive News, the crime spree has pushed one group to make Buckhead its own city.

The Buckhead Exploratory Committee is described as a "diverse group of individuals exploring the idea of Buckhead Cityhood."

In a statement, Sam Lenaeus, CEO of Buckhead Exploratory Committee, said making Buckhead its own city is a "top priority".

But Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said establishing a new city is not the answer to the crime wave.

"A number of issues that we've had in the City of Atlanta... come from people traveling from out of state," she said. "So establishing a city is not going to address that issue.

Bottoms has come under fire for not doing enough to curb the high crime in Atlanta that spiked after the short-lived Covid-19 lockdowns in March.

Out-of-towners traveling to Atlanta from locked down Democratic cities contributed to the rise of violent crime in Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs.
 

Photo may have been deleted

GoFundMe, Getty Images

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms declined an invite to attend today's City Council meeting to address Atlanta's violent crime.

Police are searching for a gunman who fired into a crowd outside a crowded Buckhead lounge early Sunday. A woman and two males were wounded during the shooting and transported to local hospitals.

"Recent events throughout the city have generated a steady stream of public discussion regarding the role and effectiveness of leadership in Atlanta," Council President Felicia Moore wrote in a letter obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"It could be helpful to the Council and the public to receive updates relative to the implementation status of any resulting recommendations associated with these initiatives."

Bottoms responded to Moore's letter on New Year's Day, saying her administration will continue to update the City Council on the specific steps being taken to address the city's violent crime.

"I will continue to engage the public and City Council on the important matters of public safety," Bottoms wrote, while politely declining the invitation. "As always, my staff will be available during your City Council conference call meeting."

Bottoms also encouraged Moore and the City Council to conduct their meetings via Zoom, or similar platforms.

Moore's letter comes after 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie died days after she was shot in the head while riding in a car with her aunt and mother near Phipps Plaza in Atlanta's trendy Buckhead neighborhood.

The child's shooting death fueled calls for a private police force to patrol Buckhead. City Council members have pledged to donate money toward the private force.

Kennedy's killer, 24-year-old Daquan Reed, is still at large.

Photo may have been deleted

GoFundMe

Atlanta police have identified a suspect wanted in the shooting death of 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie near Phipps Plaza.

Atlanta police Lt. Pete Malecki named 24-year-old Dequan Reed as a suspect in Kennedy's murder in a press conference on Tuesday. He is wanted on several charges including felony murder.

"We have identified him and we will continue to work diligently to bring him to justice in the city of Atlanta," Malecki said.

Kennedy died Saturday after she was shot in the head while riding in a car with her mother and aunt near Phipps Plaza in Buckhead.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms is under fire for the crime spree that gripped Atlanta during the Covid-19 outbreak this year.

"Our hearts are broken by the senseless murder of Kennedy," Bottoms said in a statement to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "While the Atlanta Police Department has significant leads in the apprehension of those responsible, it does not erase the pain felt when a beautiful, vibrant and loving child is tragically taken from her family. We urge the public to continue to provide information that will lead to the arrests of the careless and heartless people responsible for Kennedy’s death."

A GofundMe page raised over $60,000. A $15,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest.

Photo may have been deleted

Shocking video shows a brutal assault on a woman in a shopping center in upscale Buckhead, a suburb north of Atlanta.

The video, originally published by @atlscoop on Instagram, shows a person attempting to snatch a woman's purse after knocking her to the ground.

The incident occurred on Dec. 13 outside the Old Navy Store in the Buckhead Station shopping center across the street from Lenox Square Mall, where there have been at least seven shootings in the past year.

The person approached the woman, knocked her to the ground and tried to snatch her purse. But she held onto her purse with a tight grip as the person dragged her across the parking lot.

Several bystanders rushed over to assist the woman, as the thief rifled through her purse before fleeing the scene on foot.

Comments under the video ripped Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms for the escalating crime spree that has rocked Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs.

One IG user wrote: "Talk to Mayor Bottoms, Atlanta crime is out of control!!!"

Another user wrote: "Thanks to our cop hating race bating Mayor of Atlanta for allowing our city to turn to sh*t. Come back from your other home in Martha’s Vineyard and fix our city now."

And a third wrote: "Actor Josh Groban had his car broken into there in broad daylight!?"

Channel 2 Action News anchor Jovita Moore suggested the seven shootings at Lenox Mall were committed by opportunistic criminals who migrated to Atlanta from locked down states because the Peach city is wide open during the Corona outbreak.

Photo may have been deleted
 

Photo may have been deleted

Serial bank robber Gerod Woodberry was shocked when a Manhattan Criminal Court judge let him go free without paying a cash bail after he knocked over another bank last week.

Woodberry, 42, was busted after allegedly hitting four Chase Bank branches in Chelsea, the Upper West Side and the West Village in one week.

On Jan. 9, he walked out of jail with a smile on his face. "I can't believe they let me out," he said as police handed him two $25 gift cards and a free transit voucher to take him anywhere he wanted to go.

"What were they thinking?" Woodberry said as he left.

According to the NY Post, Woodberry headed to a bank branch and slid a note to a teller.

He walked out of the bank $1,000 richer. It was his fifth bank robbery since December 30, 2019.

On Tuesday, he struck again. This time he entered the Citibank on Third Avenue near East 49th Street around 1:20 p.m. and passed a note to a teller.

"This is a robbery. Large bills only please," the note read, according to police sources.

But unlike his five previous bank heists, Woodberry fled empty handed, according to the Post.

"It fits the description and m.o. of him," said one high-ranking police source, referring to Woodberry, who is still at large.

When police do catch up to Woodberry, he will likely walk free again, thanks to his good manners and unfailing politeness while robbing banks without a weapon.

Woodberry's crime spree - and free get out of jail cards - are all thanks to NY mayor Bill de Blasio's no cash bail reform law that went into effect on Jan. 1.

The law prohibits cash bail for non-violent felony offenders - even bank robbers.

Manhattan Criminal Court judges have no choice but to let repeat offenders like Woodberry go free.

New Yorkers are furious over the new law. Many say they are growing frustrated with de Blasio and other Democrat lawmakers who have turned New York into a safe haven for criminals.

"It's a circus," one NYPD insider told the Post. "They made it this way, your local New York state politicians. Wait until a cop gets hurt responding, or a person fleeing the bank. We'll see how they feel after that."

The crime rate has gone "through the roof" according to a NY resident on Reddit.com.

One Long Island resident wrote that he lost a cousin who was killed by a drunk driver who had three previous DWIs. The resident said the driver was released without bail 10 days before he crashed into his cousin, killing him, while fleeing from police.

"He just walked out of the court room a free man with no bail again, while my family is planning a funeral," the resident wrote.

Photo may have been deleted