LA Times via Getty Images

A 36-year-old man has been charged with the shooting of two Los Angeles County Shriff's deputies during an ambush earlier this month in Compton.

Deonte Lee Murray was charged with 2 counts of attempted murder in the September 12 ambush as they sat in their squad car outside a Metro bus station.

Murray has a long criminal history that includes attempted murder, gang-related crimes and weapons offenses.

The motive is believed to be "gang rivalry" with members of the Sheriff's department.

Murray is Black, 5-foot-7, and weighs 190 pounds.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva (pictured above) announced that public outrage over the shooting sparked private donations had pushed the reward for the suspect's capture to nearly $700,000.

Photo may have been deleted

LASD

Both deputies, a 31-year-old woman and 24-year-old man, were shot multiple times, but have since been released from the hospital.

Murray was arrested Sept. 15 after being accused of shooting a man during a carjacking on Sept. 1 in Compton.

According to investigators, he shot the carjack victim in the leg and stole his black Mercedes sedan, which he used for his getaway. Murray was arrested following a high-speed car chase and standoff, authorities said.

Bail is set at $1.24 million. If convicted on all charges, Murray faces a possible maximum sentence of 25 years to life in state prison.
 

Photo may have been deleted

Screengrab: YouTube

The reward offered for the capture of the man or woman who shot two Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies grew to $675,000 on Thursday.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors initially authorized a $100,000 reward for the shooter. But public outrage over the shooting sparked private donations that pushed the reward to nearly $700,000.

The reward includes $75,000 from the Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs and $25,000 from the L.A. County Metropolitan Authority.

The rest of the cash came from private donors, ABC affiliate KABC reported.

Photo may have been deleted

Screengrab: YouTube

Two sheriff's deputies -- a 31-year-old female and her 24-year-old male colleague -- were shot multiple times by an unknown assailant who walked up to their patrol unit and opened fire around 7 p.m. local time on Saturday, Sept. 12.

The male officer was released from the hospital this week after being treated for a gunshot wound to the arm.

The female deputy is still hospitalized with 5 gunshot wounds to the jaw and upper chest.

Police referred to the shooter as a Black man about 28-30 years old. But witnesses say the shooter was a brown skinned or Hispanic woman.
 

Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Wednesday that he will begin authorizing shutting off water and power services at the properties of repeat offenders who hold large parties.

Garcetti made the announcement amid reports of large parties thrown by promoters who ignore the city's coronavirus safety guidelines.

"The consequences of these large parties ripple far beyond just those parties," Garcetti said during an online video briefing on Wednesday.

His announcement came as demonstrators continue to protest outside Garcetti's Tudor style mansion in Windsor Square.

Garcetti blamed "super spreader" parties for the small spike in positive coronavirus cases in L.A. County.

He said he has ordered the power and lights shut off at residences for "egregious cases". Garcetti said if police are called to residences or businesses with large gatherings more than once, the city will notify the parties responsible and shut off Department of Water and Power service within 48 hours, according to the Daily News.

"While we have already closed all nightclubs and bars, these large house parties have essentially become nightclubs in the hills," he said. "Many times the homes are vacant or used for short term rentals."

Some residents have grown wary of the mayor's overreaching restrictions on their daily lives. They say the mayor is drunk with power and they prefer to be treated like adults capable of making health decisions on their own.

Andrew Toth/Getty Images

Rapper Desiigner took to social media to say the Covid-19 pandemic is fake: "Yo, no funny. Corona is fake, gone, bro [sic]. No funny s**t. Enjoy life. No cap [no lie]. We ain't even on that type of vibe. Corona s**t, man. Honestly, that corona s**t is BS. You feel me?"

Desiigner added that he's convinced the pandemic is just a hoax because he has yet to fall ill with the virus himself, despite not wearing a face mask.

"I ain't get sick yet. I been outside, healthy," he said.

Photo by BACKGRID

Singer Jason Derulo went to a gym in Los Angeles without a face mask after chipping his front tooth doing a Corn on the Cobb Drill Challenge on Tik Tok. Jason and his friends were in a good mood joking and laughing. None of them wore face masks. It isn't clear if Jason is a Republican or Democrat. But most Republicans do not wear masks which are mandatory in LA. Not wearing one is punishable by a steep fine.
 

Stoianov-spot / BACKGRID

Actress Jennifer Garner, who is most likely Republican, took her daughter Seraphina to a drive-by birthday party in Santa Monica during the COVID-19 pandemic.
 

SL, Terma / BACKGRID

What mask? Actor and new dad Joshua Jackson was pictured without a mask as he headed to the supermarket to get some fresh groceries for his wife, Queen & Slim star Jodie Turner-Smith.
 

Photo by BACKGRID

Tough guy Arnold Schwarzenegger enjoyed a bike ride without a face mask like he does almost every day to stay fit during the coronavirus pandemic.
 

Photo by BACKGRID

Republicans Ariel Winter and boyfriend Luke Benward were all smiles while running errands together without face masks in Los Angeles. The 22-year-old actress is best known for her role as Alex Dunphy in the hit comedy series Modern Family.
 

4CRNS / BACKGRID

Drummer Travis Barker dared anyone to tell him to wear a mask. The rocker was seen getting out of his SUV outside his music studio in Los Angeles.

Janelle Monae at 29Rooms L.A. Grand Opening

Refinery29's art and design installation 29Rooms, which was a huge success in New York, makes its debut in Los Angeles on Dec. 7-10 and Dec. 14-17 with rooms designed by Janelle Monáe (pictured above), Demi Lovato, Gabrielle Union, Margot Robbie and more.

"It's one-part fun house, one-part museum," said Refinery29 co-founder and executive creative director Piera Gelardi in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.

Each celebrity created rooms that reflected their emotions, feelings, sexual identities, and religious or political views.

Read more »

IV drug user

Police are reopening the investigation of a gay sex worker who was found dead in the home of a wealthy Democratic donor. Gemmel Moore, 26, was found dead on July 27 in the home of Edward Buck, 62, a wealthy donor to the campaigns of Hillary Clinton and California Governor Jerry Brown.

Read more »

Denise Scott

The homeless woman who was assaulted by an angry mob while guarding Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star has been found.

After video of the woman being assaulted by anti-Trump protesters went viral on YouTube.com, Trump's attorney launched a search for her.

Read more »