Serena Williams Wins 5th U.S. Open Title

Serena Williams

It took 3 grueling sets but Serena Williams defeated Victoria Azarenka 7-5, 6-7 (6-8), 6-1 to win her 5th U.S. Open title, and her 17th Grand Slam singles title overall.

“Vika’s such a great opponent; she’s such a fighter,” a relieved Williams said after the match. “It was never over until match point.”

Azarenka was gracious in her defeat. After the match, Azarenka and Williams embraced. “I did everything I could,” Azarenka said. “I fought as hard as I could. But I lost to a great champion.”

Serena Williams

Williams, who was pushed to a 3rd set for the first time the entire tournament, told Azarenka it had been an honor to play her.

Williams took home a check worth $3.6 million including a $1 million bonus for winning the US Open Series.

Photos: Chris Trotman/Getty Images

49 Responses to “Serena Williams Wins 5th U.S. Open Title”

daprinceofradio says:

It was INTENSE….Azarinka kept up…but when Serena started grunting..I knew the end..was NEAR…good game though…Azarinka kept up till the end!

Mannie says:

Great Match.

:kona:

boonella says:

daprinceofradio says:

—————————————————————————

Yep that was an amazing match…

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Hey Mannie :hi: Good morning!
    Congrats Serena. You are a true champion and that body is a testament to all of your hard work and is a work of art :applause:

69 says:

After that hug you know Manrena was like… “And I’m out this bytch. Until next time haters.” :nun:

What was that dissertation downstairs for :shrugs:

Glad she is still winning. After watching a biography of them, I have more tolerance for their mishap weave :eek: They have and are still making history :yes::

MOrning San Ah Make ya DANCE
    DANCEPrinceofRadio :hug:
    Boonela
    MANNIE!

Awesome GAME, for Both of them, Victoria WAS NOt going out with out a fight and Effort. Great game!

:cheer:
    YES! for Serena! ONE Away baby

Good Morning Happy Monday and all the other Chitt

:wave: 69!!! and MisstaKen good morning,How was ya’ll WEEKEND??

Miany says:

good morning guy auntie umm let those people know they need your need to pay you before they use your tips on the radio

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

What was that dissertation downstairs for
    by San ah make ya dance on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:15 am
    ————–
    (Mr. Brown voice) Who me? :lol:

MsB2u says:

good morning everybody
    :waves:
    congrats serena :yahoo:

MsB2u says:

Glad she is still winning. After watching a biography of them, I have more tolerance for their mishap weave :eek: They have and are still making history :yes: :
    ————————

(Mr. Brown voice) Who me?
    ———–
    Naw, not you

MsB2u says:

:hi:San,taken

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

My weekend was too short Luv :(
    My husband was out of town and got back Sunday. Then we had a family function to attend and did not get back until 8 pm. But I did see my falcons lose before I left :crying1:

A.J. says:

Good Morning Sandra!! A wonderful day in the A it is!! :-D

Miany
    San
    MsB
    Taken :kiss:
    Luvn :kiss:
    boonelle
    mannie
    princeofradiov103
    jenie i feel you the deletions! I would like to follow you on twitter. Keep me posted!

:waves:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

MsB, San :hugs:
    I tired

A.J. says:

But I did see my falcons lose before I left
    They gave it their best. It was a good game tho. :sad:

——-
    :lol: What did they say about it??

Good morning Loves!

:happy: AJ how are you?? U been working hard huh?

At MissTaken the WEEKENDS are never long enough,EVER! :(

MsB2U and MIany Morning Beatumus’ :hug:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

A.J :danban:
    I am SOOOO :yawn: I gotta fake it to make it. And this is a really long week. Including Sat having to work for me.
    *fist in the air* Darn you sissy co worker that got fired

@Razz, they didnt say nothing :lol: I just don’t wanna say nothing about it, after all the hard work they have put in

Miany says:

:waves: daprince, Mannie, Aj,Mis Taken, San, Luvn, 69, boonellla
    @San… :lol: @ mishap weave…them chicks earned my respect too.. That athlete life is pure dedication.

MsB2u says:

LUVN
    :hi:

jazi65 says:

morning all :hi:

Azarenka was cheesin when they told her they were giving her $250k bonus for making it that far….but…when they told Serena she was getting an xtra mil :rofl: her face was priceless!

I wanted her to crip walk after a big win agane :danban:

So…did we see our uncle Earl Simmons (Dark Man X) running down a Detroit hotel hallway bucka azz nekkid yet ??? :wtf:

A.J. says:

AJ how are you?? U been working hard huh?
    Lord only knows I have Luvn. I stayed in the house the entire weekend and drunk wine and other foods I shouldn’t have ate. How are you?

@Taken Drop down and get yo eagle on POW :buttshake:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Good Morning Roses! My son won his football game this weekend!! It was the first one of the season!!!! #ProudMommy! #YouCare

I wanted her to crip walk after a big win agane

———-
    :rofl: was it unfortunate or was it just funny?

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

—-
    What?! :blink: Come on!!! He needs Betty Ford ASAP

A.J. says:

Congrats Nakeya-at least his team won! Falcons lost, hmph :tea:

One of my BFF’s just sent it to me and Pryn and our other sis. With the dayum statement…getchall uncle (Earl) :dead: Link came from Rhymes With Snitch (guess I can say it cause its listed up top).

A.J. says:

—-
    What?! :blink: Come on!!! He needs Betty Ford ASAP
    _________
    :no: (in my Kevin Hart voice) Who wants to see a naked crackhead naked. UGHH :hurl:

Doesn’t help that he is LIL as HAIL. Crackhead lil. :no:

Folks up there tambout it might not be him. WTF EVA.

Crack kills.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Thanks @ AJ He was hype and so was I! Oh and the Cowboys won!!! My son is a Giants fan so he was pissed. Ha!

daprinceofradio says:

:waves: every body… and im not V103 ;*( im 1090 Am the end of the dial lol… :hahaha:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

WTF EVA.

Crack kills.
    ——
    This made me laugh out loud. It’s too early to start this.

A.J. says:

every body… and im not V103 ;*( im 1090 Am the end of the dial lol…
    Yes you is! :lol:

:newpost: La La and ‘Melo #noDopamine

tcw684 says:

Thank you for posting this auntie! My girl wins another title and continues to write history!!!! As a tennis fan, I know Serena works her ASS off for these titles. She doesn’t just step on the court to play and win as many suggest…she works hard and fights (mentally and physically) to the bitter end! Last night was a testament to that! Congrats again Serena….continue writing history and making us proud!!! Best wishes on many more titles and Slams!

Black_jewel2 says:

That was an AWESOME match!!!! Congrats Serina!