Medical Minute: Mercury Poisoning

Nicole Murphy mercury poisoning

Eddie Murphy’s ex-wife Nicole Murphy posted the above photo to her Instagram page, along with a message to raise awareness of mercury poisoning.

Nicole Murphy mercury poisoning

Mercury can be found in many common household items including glass thermometers, batteries, fluorescent lightbulbs, etc.

Causes

The main cause of mercury Poisoning is consuming a diet of fish or foods that contains high levels of selenium and mercury. Exposure to mercury can also come from breathing contaminated air (fumes from burning charcoal) or from direct exposure to mercury when working in laboratories, dentist’s offices, clinics, hospitals, etc.

Nicole Murphy mercury poisonin

Young children can be exposed to mercury by eating a diet high in selenium. Foods that contain selenium include Fish (tuna, sardines, salmon), poultry (chicken, turkey), eggs, meat (beef, liver, lamb, pork); shellfish (oysters, mussels, shrimp, clams, scallops); nuts (sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts); mushrooms, onions and grains.

Signs and Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning in adults include weakness and/or numbness in arms and legs, inability to walk, shaking tremors in hands, a sensation of pins and needles, itching or burning in the hands and feet. Discoloration of fingertips and toes. Swelling and peeling of skin. Visual problems (blurred vision, double vision, blindness); memory problems, seizures, and brain damage from longterm exposure.

Signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning in children include: redness in cheeks, nose and lips, loss of hair, teeth, and nails, skin rash, muscle weakness, increased sensitivity to light, memory lapses, kidney failure, etc.

Inhaling elemental mercury (fumes from burning charcoal) can cause difficulty breathing, cough, metallic taste in mouth, vomiting, swollen, bleeding gums.

An overdose of mercury can result in internal hemorrhage, kidney failure, and death.

Treatment

Treatment for mercury poisoning depends on the type of exposure.

If the mercury is inhaled, treatment includes:

• Humidified oxygen or air
  • Breathing tube into the lungs
  • Suctioning of mercury out of the lungs
  • Medication to remove mercury and heavy metals from the body
  • For mercury that is ingested, the treatment includes:

• Fluids by IV (into a vein)
  • Medicines to treat symptoms
  • Activated charcoal, a medicine that soaks up many substances from the stomach
  • Medicines called chelators to remove mercury from the blood
  • If you or anyone you know has been exposed to mercury, consult your personal physician or a health care provider. You can also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

This has been your Medical Minute.

More Info On the Web

Mercury Poisoning – Medicine Net

Mercury Poisoning – Medline Plus

Mercury Toxicity – eMedicine

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

25 Responses to “Medical Minute: Mercury Poisoning”

MSVALLDAY says:

Thanks for the weekend posts auntie!!!!

Baby Gravy says:

:eek: Dang. I knew Fish, and other exotic seafoods, but chicken? Turkey? That’s 80percent of my diet there alone. IDK what to say about this. Thanks for this info. I guess there’s dangers lurking everywhere.
      Hi weekend posters :hi:
      Hi Yardi :hi:
      Off to the gym :nun:

Baby Gravy says:

Dang. I knew Fish, and other exotic seafoods, but chicken? Turkey?

Everything we eat contains something that is bad for us. Bad headaches or migrains could be caused by foods containing too much tyramine. Do a Google search for foods containing tyramine. It’s in damn near everything we eat. :no:

@ Baby Gravy: I was talking with a friend who told me the singer Monica used to suffer from bad migraines. A few days later, I was nearly taken out by migraines. I never had a migraine in my life. So I asked myself, what have I eaten lately that’s new? I was able to trace the migraines to the strawberry and pineapple smoothie concoction I had been drinking for a week. Strawberries and pineapples contain tyramine, which triggers migraines. When I stopped drinking the Smoothies, the migraines went away. :yes:

Tyramine also causes gas and fluid retention, which can make you feel bloated.

Milky says:

Thanks for the weekend post Sandramae! My diet consist of all fish, chicken, and turkey..

Baby Gravy says:

Hi Milky :ashamed: Whatever you’re eating, sholl does do ya right :ashamed:

What about insomnia Sandra? I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I eat nothing but fresh fruit in the mornings (most of the time). I wonder if this is making me restless :think: Gonna research it now :pc:

peppermintpatty says:

peppermintpatty says:

@ BG some fruits contain high amounts of sugar(grapes, watermelon, etc.) Try limiting the amount to reduce the restlessness. It’s not processed sugar, but sugar just the same. Honeydew, canteloupe, blueberries, raspberries, and raisins are good options. IJS

Baby Gravy says:

:shock: I have some of these symptoms :eek:

Ni ni says:

Jenie everytime I read stuff like this I be like, uh oh I think I got it lol

Milky says:

@BG :love:

I hate her eye brows :no:

FuturedocDonte says:

Morning :waves: about to go to church to get my :nun: on

Oh, Chris Brown is on his way to jail… :coffee: they about to violate his probation :yes:

FuturedocDonte says:

I have some of these symptoms

Jenie everytime I read stuff like this I be like, uh oh I think I got it lol
      —–
      Me too :lol:

Milky says:

@future :pray: for me too!

:gossip:

What’s this I hear about Chris Brown in custody for assault? :popcorn:

:rollseyes: I c Doc den scooped meh! :lol: :tea:

But uhm I might need a at home mercury tess nah! :ashamed:

B, u got me? U know I aint got no healf insurrince :kona:

If u got cash foe a gym membership den I know good n damn well a mercury tess aint nuffin. Make it happen! Asaptually :nun:

Happy Sundee Sandra!

Miany says:

:waves: hey Fay, future, milky, jenie :newpost:

ohpretty1 says:

Great post Sandra!

cocoa49 says:

Excellent post.

Sincerity7 says:

I think she is beautiful.