Medical Minute: Nasal Boils

Nasal boils

Rapper T.I.’s niece, Kamaya Harris, posted the following photos on her Instagram page today. In the caption she wrote:

I wasn’t going to post this but I wanted to share my flow for the past 3 days… They have been very miserable, very sleepless, & very painful but thru it all God is good almost over & I’ll be back to myself soon

The “boil” is real

Based on the information in her caption, I’m guessing she is suffering from a painful boil (Furunculosis, Folliculitis) inside her nose that can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

You may recall my discussion on Staphylococcus Aureus in my Medical Minute post on MRSA. I told you that Staph lives on our skin and inside our noses. When the bacteria colonizes our noses it becomes necessary to decolonize the nose with antibiotics to prevent recurrent infections.

Nasal boils

Though Staph lives in our noses, the bacteria usually only causes a problem when there is a break in the skin such as cuts, abrasions or insect bites. Infections inside the nose can be caused by ingrown hairs or picking the nose with your finger.

The boil usually grows inside the anterior nasal wall. It is very painful and may drain a yellowish pus fluid. The pus/fluid dries and forms a yellowish-brown crust that must be removed (lanced by a doctor or nurse) to speed healing. The boil may burst on its own without treatment. The drainage is contagious and can be spread among family members or among school children.

Signs & Symptoms

• Pus-filled boil/pimple inside the nostril that is red and very painful
  • Nasal swelling and redness
  • Facial edema
  • Untreated infections can develop into an abscess or cellulitis, a serious infection that causes redness and inflammation of the surrounding tissues (facial edema).

TREATMENT

The preferred treatment of nasal boils is antibiotics such as Mupirocin 2% ointment or Bactroban ointment. Doctors may also prescribe oral antibiotics.

Mupirocin ointment is applied by squeezing the ointment inside both nostrils. The ointment is supplied in a 30 gram tube or in individual single-dose tubes. Continue to use the ointment as prescribed even after the infection clears.

When the boil bursts (or lanced) place a gauze bandage to catch the drainage.

Placing a warm (or hot) compress or wash cloth over the nose speeds the drainage and decreases the boil.

This has been your Medical Minute.

More Info On The Web

Boils, Skin Problems and Treatment – WebMD

Nasal Folliculitis – MayoClinic.com

Impetigo – About.com

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

Thanks to loyal reader Ashland for the tip.

83 Responses to “Medical Minute: Nasal Boils”

:shock:

GEEEEEZUZ!

CALI CHA says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE WASNT READY :cry:

Caramel Rain says:

UMMM…OK!

Can you do one for post nasal drip? I am sick of the glob of mucus stuck in the back of my throat.

Caramel Rain says:

HOpe she feels better

SOTHERNGRL says:

Oh my God this poor girl. She didnt even look like herself. Glad she is better.

The Master Beta :D says:

Dang hope she gets well soon that’s bad

SOTHERNGRL says:

She is very pretty. I like the necklace she has on.

wow it turned her into eeyore.

get well soon, baby girl.

Thanks for
      Discussing this ,. Glad to see you get my emails,. Even though you don’t respond,..
      That Evan Ross one was good tea though :tea:

Her swelling is going down more and more. Dang that must have been frightening to wake up like that.

Damn!

@ TheRealAshland: I see you didn’t read my post. I also emailed you. :coffee:

Smonae says:

Damn :no:

ooooh shyt :hide: she needs some Colodial Sliver stat ! :eek:

I read it, I’m talking about the email I sent of that picture of a very feminine Evan Ross brushing a super flamboyant joe Simpson hair,. That gavel the creeps :re:

Caramel Rain says:

Colodial Sliver
      *****
      old school. LOL

:hide: Boils are no joke :no: I wouldn’t have even showed my face

SOTHERNGRL says:

Colodial Sliver
      (((((((((((
      @Jennie what is this? When I first looked I read Codliver

@ TheRealAshland: I see you didn’t read my post. I also emailed you.
      ~~~~~~~~~
      HrmPH!
      i emailed you too sandriTa :rolleyes: but the story has came and went

Dayum!
      :shocked:

She look like she phucked with Sharkeisha!

SOTHERNGRL says:

Dayum!

She look like she phucked with Sharkeisha!
      ****************
      You so damn ignant

Caramel Rain says:

Colodial Sliver
      *****
      old school. LOL

Chile this is the best stuff chile…….. I use this now…. good for any infection ……. I swear :yes: good shyt !

SOTHERNGRL says:

Colodial Sliver
      (((((((((((
      @Jennie what is this? When I first looked I read Codliver

Its a supplement google it :yes: Thank me later :winky:

DAMMIT !!!
      the KNicks are taking offers to trade any and everyone on the roster exCept MELO :hahaha:

@luvin sandy be acting fancy some times ain’t That right sandra darling :tea:

Did you hear about the man who got blood poisoning or something from colodial silver? Turn his ass blue, but he lived awhile even after

San ah make ya dance says:

:hide: Boils are no joke :no: I wouldn’t have even showed my face

Ok !!!!! Chile she did not have to prove nothing :no:

TheRealAshland says:@luvin sandy be acting fancy some times ain’t That right sandra darling :tea:
      ~~~~~~~
      I know
      :tape:

Ok !!!!! Chile she did not have to prove nothing :no:
      ————-
      NOT A ONE

San ah make ya dance says:

That ass was probrably taking that shyt every day without dilluting

Smonae says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

Dayum!

She look like she phucked with Sharkeisha!
      ———————

Look like she took them off now :no:

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Jennie I did. Thanks

@Jenie, I think he did go crazy with it. Although, he said every medical problem he had before that went away, so he kept taking it :yes:

MzTisch says:

DAMN! *in my Smokey from Friday voice*

:huh:

Morning All…… :waves:

It’s :cold: as heyul here in the Windy City.

I had a boil under my arm pit… put a drop (a drop now) on it…. the next day it was gone…. My coworker told me about. :yes: apparently he use to get boils all the time. Well his caused a couple of staph infection….. he started using the silver on the boil and it went away damn near the same day he used it….

My nephew had a huge pimple on his nose. I put a drop on there … :tea: it went down that same day ….

My daughter also had a sore in her head….. I tried everything to clear it up….. even prescribed ointment. Put a drop on there,,, chile it was gone the next morning :bow:

CALI CHA says:

San ah make ya dance says:

:hide: Boils are no joke :no: I wouldn’t have even showed my face

She is rapper so you know how that goes….Any publicity is good publicity :yes: SHE BOUT TO BLOW UP (no pun intended)

OAN she favor Zonnique

:thumbsup: Those are the kinds of solutions I be looking for.

San ah make ya dance says:

Yeah you can’t be taking that stuff like that :no: hell he must have been sick as hell :lol: I heard it was good for sinus infection, and the way I get sinus infection, I will be taking it. My mom used it the other day….. she had a lot of drainage in her throat, she dilluted it with water, sprayed in her nose, followed by saline spray…. her drainage is gone chile :nun:

SummerBaby says:

I saw this on IG earlier today. I hope she gets well soon.

*side eye*

* :huh: *

*mutters Why..*

* :lipsneer: *

* :eyeroll: *

:newpost: Please.

essenze says:

Damn, thats crazy. Ugh. I am glad that her swelling is going down.

69 says:

So I see Sandra ain’t doing a post on Erykah and her bull horn nose or R.Kelly and his PR backfire…

But we can get a post on the following:

Rita Okra
      Parasite Hilton
      A non-celebrity
      A “cold item”
      A lil white boy who just doing what God intended for him to do…

I’m taking bets a Drysnatchian post is up next… :shrug:

Now if this R.Kelly mess had happened to Jay-Z or Kanye or NeYo :kona:

She look like she phucked with Sharkeis

:giggles: You seen what Ye said about turning Kim into Bey? :hollers:

How was the concert anyway??

taking selfies? posting pix on the interwebz?

recipe for narcissism or nah :thinking:

SOTHERNGRL says:

*********************
      Its called argyria and they dont know how much of this will make you turn blue.

Awww :happybirthday: Prynnsexx :brokenheart: Miss you. :cry:

I’m taking bets a Drysnatchian post is up next…
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      I Hope NOT I am Not here for that FILTHY slut

B ~ Whats cracking girl i had a dream bout LBJ :ashamed:
      I thought about you when i woke out of it :|

FAY whatchU mad 4? lol

So I see Sandra ain’t doing a post on Erykah and her bull horn nose

Whet is this? :popcorn: Why we need to talk about BahDew? And why yall so hateful on broad noses? :huh: *caresses nose* Love thy roots. :lol:

Fay Im in this bitch like :eek: Straight up. Some chit just aint meant. Up next: her diarrhea photos? :shrug:

Stupid.

/annoyed :lol:

taking selfies? posting pix on the interwebz?
      recipe for narcissism or nah :thinking:
      :facepalm: LordT. I cant hardly stand it. :shrug: Im irrationally annoyed by this. i need some help. :lol:

Luvn

:lol: i’m TRYNA pernt to Kev Hart’s face to express my feelins on this post. #unsuccessful :ashamed:

i aint do the EDUCATION, therefore i aint got the ANSWERS as to what i’m doin wrong :cuss:

wait you can say bitch?

bitch :grill:

JENIE :wave:

I’m taking bets a Drysnatchian post is up next…
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      I Hope NOT I am Not here for that FILTHY slut
      B ~ Whats cracking girl i had a dream bout LBJ :ashamed:
      I thought about you when i woke out of it :|

:rofl: :rofl: Filthy slut tho…nothing much. Working, :phew: needed a minute to decompress! LuVie :hug:

WHAT CHU DREAMED LUVIE :chase:

SOTHERNGRL says:

Whet is this? Why we need to talk about BahDew? And why yall so hateful on broad noses? *caresses nose* Love thy roots.
      ************************
      @OTB Badu is the new face of Givenchy. She took photos with a bone or some chit in her nose.

Stupid.

/annoyed

:rofl: PRECISELY! i just CANT with social media nowadays. sup my sweets? :hug:

JEN-NAYYYYYY!! :woohoo: sup luv muffin?

:rofl: Cheddup FAY, and tell me bout the BLUE Peel?? I spoke to an Ofc in BOCA Raton, they said they should have it beginning of the new yr
      :tea:

Did anyone see the Conan Obrien skit with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart :lol: too funny

************************

:eek: where bouts? :pc:

B!
      It was s.e.x.ual :| woke up outta it and went right back in to the dream.
      :crying1:
      then rubbed up on hubby :oops:

so anyways…..it took me an hour and 3 stores but i got my Pleasure Bomb by Rihanna/Mac this morning.

there was a line to get into the harlem store :eek: but NOBODY in the 5th avenue store. the times square store claimed they ran out :rolleyes: but I think they have them stashed in the back.

@ TheRealAshland: oh. I saw that. I can’t do Evan like that. I remember years ago when I chased his mom down in Miami for a photo and she refused to take one and he made her pose for me. He’s a sweetie pie. :yes:

SOTHERNGRL says:

Why is Matthew Knowles baby Momma getting $12,000 a mo child support? I guess he can afford it.

O.B. is in NYC :huh:
      I thought
      O.B. was . . nevamind :~

:tea:

:cheer:

That’s AWESOME guhl! u know i had said i wanted to wait till my 40th bday, but i want it NOW! :bounce:

like feb/march. decisions, decisions :bite:

FAY
      that’s what the few blogs are saying TAYE’s with a sis :tea:
      it took 10+ yrs

:bounce:
      I know FAY I KNOW!! :woohoo: Im ready now too, but im going away next week so I have to wait
      I caint BE in Clark Co favoring a SmuRF :|

:lol: I’m fukking with sixty niner. He know I’m sensi bout my nose.

:newpost: :newpost:

That poor girl. :( hope she has a speedy recovery.

I saw the Cohnan/Hart/Cube skit. “What’s a fo-ty, because I say FOURTY?” :lol:

Then they asked him where the brown paper bag was! :rofl:

lemme fine OWT Taye Diggs den came byke home?! :eek:

Fay I WOULD BEG ANY BLACK WOMAN NOT TO DATE THIS FEWL! :shank:

B!
      It was s.e.x.ual :| woke up outta it and went right back in to the dream.
      :crying1:
      then rubbed up on hubby :oops:

I cant take no more of yall on my dream. :crying:

Ohh ,.. I can understand that . I loves some ms ross,. lol of then ,.. Diana, tracee , chutney,. Rhonda and Evan too :tea:

Imma remember this when I get famous I better have that tiny and Monica immunity

Caramel Rain says:

Does it feel like a lump in the back of your throat? Do you have difficulty swallowing? Throat cancer is increasing among young black women. Please make an appointment to see your doctor. :(