CBS host apologizes for saying ‘colored woman’

Michelle Burdo

CBS46 host Michelle Burdo has apologized for using the archaic racial descriptor ‘colored’ while speaking to a woman of African descent.

“Let me tell you something,” Burdo said during a live discussion with an African-American hair expert, “I’m not a colored woman but I have kinky hair just like her and when you straighten it every day, it’s…” she paused, searching for the right word. “Healthier,” she added.

On Tuesday’s show, Burdo apologized profusely for her Freudian slip.

“Yesterday, I made a pretty insensitive remark during one of our segments here on Better Mornings Atlanta. I apologize… Once again, I truly want to say from the bottom of my heart that I really am sorry about that comment. I made that comment in reference to my hair color but I used an inappropriate term.”

According to AJC Radio & TV Talk‘s Rodney Ho, someone posted a video of the exchange on Facebook, and the comments exploded.

“what the hell,” “we are living in sad times” and “Her color is IGNORANT and UNINFORMED. Where did they find her… Mars?”

FB user Camille Mahdi wrote: “LOL, she probably meant to say one thing, but said what she was thinking. That’s honesty. She’s an idiot, but I am not offended in the least bit.”

In his article on AJC.com, Rodney asked, “Is “colored” merely an outdated phrase or is it offensive?”

• Their Words, Not Mine…
  • President Obama’s Senior Advisor Tweets N-Word on Twitter
  • Obama Administration Secretly Collects Data On All Verizon Customers
  • A Confused Public Asks: ‘Where’s My Free Health Care?”

129 Responses to “CBS host apologizes for saying ‘colored woman’”

Wasting time says:

:facepalm:

Yardgirl says:

Yeah right, you’re just “sorry” you got caught on camera saying it! :coffee: B*tch if you think it, then say it, you meant it!! FOH!!

============

I agree with this. I say chit all the time without thinking :eyeroll: manufactured crisis… Colored doesn’t offend me. I dread the day lilmissy get famous and somebody dredge up all the rude chit I’ve said on this blog :lol:

who is this uncolored woman and why should I care?

seriously when are we going to stop talking about hair? :lolsign:

porta rican lady at my job called me afro-american one day. hell, they change the terms so often that nobody can keep up.

isnt it interesting though that back in the 70s when ppl “went natural” they had grabbed a pick and some afro sheen and wore afros and in the new millenium ppl put the whole kitchen cabinet in their heads to make a “curl pattern”? :tea: they aint did nothing but find a healthy way to get a jheri curl.

wait, what…..nevermind.

VDot says:

She’s up there talking how OTB was down stairs talking. They call her Lateka :lol:

[Comment deleted by moderator for racially insensitive language]

VDot says:

I love how you’ve ruled out yourself becoming famous and just went ahead and passed the torch to Lil Missy. Just don’t end up like Gloria James and you’ll be fine :yes: Or do and still be fine :lol:

Red again when you burnt… :think:

“And you white people.
      When you born, you pink.
      When you grow up, you white.
      When you go in sun, you red.
      When you cold, you blue.
      When you scared, you yellow.
      When you sick, you green
      And when you die, you grey…”

:yes: You colored..

Crickett says:

Colored doesn’t offend me not one bit. In my lifetime I’ve been Negro, Colored, Black, Afro American and now African American. Never liked African American much, I prefer Black.

:huh:
      She look “colored” her dayum self?

But you said youre not a colored woman. :| Womp womp.

VDot says:

they aint did nothing but find a healthy way to get a jheri curl.

:dead: :rofl: :rofl:

“Healthier?” said her guest.

Straight hair is healthier than curly hair?

African-American hair expert

*laughs* Belly aching laugh too. :eyeroll:

Like, you cant be an expert on this hurr. This hurr just is. :shrug:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

She look “colored” her dayum self?

nah she looks like Feifel the mouse

Phones says:

What color ‘colored’ woman was she referencing?
      I have heard a YT refer to indians in my area as colored. I always ask ‘do you mean they are brick colored?’

This idiot bish will be on tv crying soon talkin bout her bff is “colored”

I hear woman of color even in re to even Asians. So maybe offensive? Idk.

My sister listed on her late 60’s Alabama BC as colored….

Dani says:

So you’re hair is healthier when it’s straightened EVERYDAY from its natural “kinky” state? Interesting…

============

Nawl I ain’t got time to be nobody’s famous. Way too much work.. I got a billion dolla uterus, not a billion dolla face/voice/acting abilities. I play my strengths

YT folks never cease to amaze me
      Hubby is at a new firm – one of the CEOs told him try and not to hire to many blacks :huh:

What did he do, hire damn near everyone that walked in the door and made one a mgr
      Smh

I got a billion dolla uterus
      ____________________________________

:eek:

Wasting time says:

Say what now Cricket (with two T’s)

Yardgirl says:

Crickett says:

********************

I hear ya on that, not offended, but you have to go back, WAAAY back to dredge up colored. In my experience, it is usually the ones who never acknowledged us as Black to begin with that skips that and go back to colored. Who even says colored these days? :sideeye:

VDot says:

Where’s the pic, Man? :waiting: :catfish:

nah she looks like Feifel the mouse

========

Fivel.. You gotta be right when readin folks lol

she reminds me of Jenniefer Lopez’s sister thats on our local news. Are we sure she isnt porta reefa? she does have that cayenne pepper haircolor that they seem to love so much.

head be looking like sazon

coco creamy says:

y aploogize for something you meant to say :shrugs:

________________________________
      If they call you colored in public, they callin you niggar in private. :yes:

Fivel.. You gotta be right when readin folks lol

:rofl: I done made the mouse jewish.

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

She look “colored” her dayum self?

========

She do look like her granny/great granny was creeping with the hired hand :tea:

She better check her DNAFax

its Fievel Mousekewitz. he was Jewish! :shocked:

User Friendly says:

Fivel.. You gotta be right when readin folks lol

:rofl: I done made the mouse jewish.
      ============

That movie was my ISH! *makes a note to show lilmissy Fivel*

libra80sbaby says:

:yawn: Care nun bout this lady. But colored IS outdated as chit. :|

Straight hair is healthier than curly hair?

Not inherently. Unprocessed curly hair can be healthy. Straight hair can be fried.

@MISSY
      “She look “colored” her dayum self?

========

She do look like her granny/great granny was creeping with the hired hand

She better check her DNAFax”

:rofl: You know it! I was just now studyin her pic! She looks like the Wayans in “White Girls.” :rofl:

Yardgirl says:

Man, I just don’t care: says:

________________________________
      If they call you colored in public, they callin you niggar in private.

******************

Exactly!! :yes:

[Comment deleted by moderator for racially insensitive language]
      _________

Wish I remembered what I said :hahaha: :smoke:

YT folks never cease to amaze me

Smh

*chuckles*

she does have that cayenne pepper haircolor that they seem to love so much.

head be looking like sazon

Busted out laughing. HATE that color. :yes:

Torae says:

Why do people get all upset when WHITE PEOPLE DONT LIKE YA BLACK BEHINDS! They hate our black asses why is that a surprise? Hell black folks don’t even like each other, so why get upset when other races dont like us?

VDot says:

Wish I remembered what I said

________________________

Maybe ginger :tea: :wink: ? It was a variation of the crayola poem you posted :yes:

rockstar says:

Well, now we know how she talks when she’s around her family and friends.

Wasting time says:

That can happen on this blog?!?!

VDot says:

@V DOT
      Already sent.

:pc:

To who? :eek:

Busted out laughing. HATE that color

they love that adobo looking shyt. I swear they mix lawrys in they shampoo.

:shrug: Legit don’t remem. Changing as rules. :wave: Fluid as the Harris’ marriage. :eyeroll:

iont care what this ol’ pale, big-toothed, bald-faced, possum think about Our hair, color and nothing else. :rolleyes:
      i can’t be mad at her when we got people on this board calling Our babies “pickaninny” and such :tea:

#itisbliss

That can happen on this blog?!?!
      ______

Especially when its unwarranted. Especially when its my font..

Serious questions? Or you just saying..?

they love that adobo looking shyt. I swear they mix lawrys in they shampoo.

Well they damn sure aint putting it on their food.

White folks in the HB on FB was SEW mad..a chick asked “what do white people eat? Like blacks have soul food ( :eyeroll: ) like Chinese have Chinese food..what do white staples do white ppl eat” im paraphrasing here… :lol:

I didn’t waste my time tryna explain culture to her.. #childleftbehind but I did offer that whites eat “Mayo..” And thas all I said?

Boy they was fyre hot. :lol: :shrug:

“pickaninny”

I use that term but only as a joke and only in reference to my own doorter. my grandmother used it on me (jokingly) and I just think it sounds funny. I also use porch monkey, yard ape, rug rat, and a bunch of other stuff that probably shouldnt be used in public.

pickney :lol: = child! Picka-ninny equal BAD. :hahaha:

^^^ I left that for yall down there.. :rofl: :rofl:

==============

Ion get mad when folks racist. Shooo I’m like good now I know where you stand. My boss black but she a “white is right” type, I’m glad I know so when she tries to play me I can shut it down. I’m also keeping an EEOC file :yes:

what do white staples do white ppl eat

well if pinterest is any indication they eat a shyt load of fuggin casserole! and put pumpkin and nutella in EVAREETHEEENG!

just throw jello and pretzles and other miscellaneous mess in a bundt pan and call it casserole :smh:

*writes EVERYONE’S names down* :twisted:

:chase:

VDot says:

Me too! :lol: My daddy used to use it all the time too :yes:

BYE UFO :crine: :rofl: :hahaha: *walks it out* :kona:

VDot says:

#childleftbehind but I did offer that whites eat “Mayo..”

I hate you :rofl: :rofl:

but I did offer that whites eat “Mayo..” And thas all I said?
      ___________________________________

you should have told her “haggis” :tea:

NO JOKE_IM FASERIOUS says:

:rollseyes:
      racism is alive and well so no one should be appalled or shocked
      me, myself…ima equal opportunist…i hate erbody *shrugs*
      if she did that then maybe she wouldn’t have to *fake* apologize and act like it was a mistake *only cuz she got caught* don’t be sorry ho be careful :rofl:

Wasting time says:

——————————-
      :crying:

:rofl: !!!!

:offtopic:

Why is my doorter a mess? She on vacation (went Vegas to spend 2 weeks with my mama), chile done emailed me

Subject: #BETAWARDS :ghoost: wat this chile know about # anything

Email: A picture of her feet in my mama foot bath

“I’m soaking my feet while watching the BET awards”

Straight hair is healthier than curly hair?

:facepalm:

OpinionHated says:

Black Americans get upset over the stupidest sh*t colored, african american who cares in white americas eyes we’re all nigg*rs……

I do not describe myself as african american I ain’t african or american i’m a black woman of african descent who was born on an island and immigrated to the US…

How come white people don’t have to be described… when you watch the news and the culprit is a white man they say a man in a brown shirt – if its a black man they say black man in a brown shoirt – why don’t they emphasize the criminals is white… only when the person is of another race do we have to identify… thats why on every application that asks my race I say other….

She looks like Jodi Arias that crazy bish that butchered the mormon dude she was boning….

___________________________________

and she prob think that you make her look ‘good’ by comparison. she’ll be genuinely surprised, disappointed, prob eem hurt, when they turn on her :tea:

SOTHERNGRL says:

****************************
      I must be feeling generous because I’m gonna go with merely outdated. I really dont think she meant any harm. I think she meant to say she wasnt a woman of color. :shrug: But I could be wrong and she is just a racist azz heffa.

Nigga me too :lol: :hahaha:

what do white staples do white ppl eat

=======

Apparently they love peanut butter. This mom forum that I am on these ladies go nuts writing letters to senators over peanut free schools. :mad: as all hail lil Chutney can’t have peanut butter sammich in her lunch box

but I have kinky hair just like her
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      THIS means she knew and knows what she meant. To say the word, and finish the sentence with the above :no:

Who’s doing the petition? What city is she on in? :waiting:
      Oh this petition ain’t about hair huh??!?!!
      :eek: I’d sign :tea:

______________________________________

she sure does! :eek:

“I’m soaking my feet while watching the BET awards”

:heart: :lol:

===========

:gossip: fancy muddacunt :eyeroll: :lol:

How come white people don’t have to be described…

Privilege.

And why yall keep saying ppl upset? :shrug: No petitions I have heard of. Pl js. :lol: Whew chile.

SOTHERNGRL says:

**************************
      @Cricket even though you thank Bobby Brown got a sessy walk I’m really gonna have to :cosign : everything you said here esp. the part about preferring to be called black. I know it aint PC but that just what I prefer. :shrug:

:lol: yeah Missy J. they love that shyt. choosey moms choose Jif :thumbsup:

then be trying to call us fat, umm yeah cuz all yall do is eat fuggin greek yogurt and drink green juice. :rolleyes: I be at my job like why dont you eat a real meal some of the time?

SOTHERNGRL says:

****************************
      ———
      Southern,
      Here’s why I disagree.

One can say “my hair is colored”, and that ok, right?
      To me, she said it differently :shrug: #becauseclearlyherhairiscolored
      We need to roll the tape :woot: LOL

===========

:gossip: fancy muddacunt :eyeroll: :lol:

But the sentence above is like we all niggas? Then you go on to tell me what kind of special nigga snowflake you are? :confused: :shrug:

fancy muddacunt

:casket:

Noone’s watching the world Cup??

categorized niggas :rofl:

so you saying Opine was probably calling shotgun on the slave ship?

SOTHERNGRL says:

YT folks never cease to amaze me
      Smh
      *******************************
      I like your husband. :facepalm: Now Lawd please let them not do nothing fugged up :pray:

missyJ says:

umm yeah cuz all yall do is eat fuggin greek yogurt and drink green juice.

=========

Guess it’s my white side but I love Greek yogurt and green juice :ashamed: :kona:

I don’t find colored to be offensive. It is outdated, but who cares? We still call each other niggas, but super sensative at the same time. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I just recently got over the whole nigga thing because the contradiction was too much to reconcile in my mind.

“special snowflake”
      ______________________________

hmmm… it’s been MY experience that SOME folks from the islands have convinced themselves that the colony > than the plantation, hence, them being quick to *dismissive hands* Black Americans and Our ‘attitudes’ towards dee goodt wyatt peepas, in my experience :tea:

Now Lawd please let them not do nothing fugged up :pray:
      ~~~~~

smurfette U.S.A’s playing :cheer:

I must be feeling generous because I’m gonna go with merely outdated. I really dont think she meant any harm. I think she meant to say she wasnt a woman of color. But I could be wrong and she is just a racist azz heffa.

The issue is..bc really there is no true problem.. I don’t think she meant to “systematically deny anyone” of anything either but her language is a language used by those who would seek to “systematically deny a minority group” things they are supposed to have..

Its just bad taste. Its 2014. She is too young to call ppl colored. :shrug: To me, her use of “colored” is a Freudian slip to her real mindset.

“I am not a colored woman but I have kinky hair just like her..” All ‘colored” women have kinky hair? :no: And if she meant she don’t color her hair, :no: well she is just a liar and should be :huh: ‘d routinely.

San ah make ya dance says:

Bish bye :bye: :yawn:

I am LuVie. You know this is office approved. :eek: :lol: I aint saying nothing but we don’t watch the track and field relays.. :cool:

Noone’s watching the world Cup??

________________________

SOMEbody’s watching it Luvie! :yes:
      they done shut down sections of downtown dc to show it on bigscreens, DURING rush hour :no:

categorized niggas

so you saying Opine was probably calling shotgun on the slave ship?

========================

Well if we giving DNAFax

I am Dutch (From the Netherlands not the isle of Weed) my great granny mama side, Japanese my great great granny deddy side, and Black all sides…

So if she had shotgun, I was navigating that bish :woohoo:

coco creamy says:

OpinionHated says:

She looks like Jodi Arias that crazy bish that butchered the mormon dude
      _______________________________________________________

I say on everything, that I am a jew
      one HR lady ask me onetime, She white” can you prove you a jew, I look at her and said “can you prove i’m not. :coffee:

San ah make ya dance says:

I don’t find colored to be offensive
      —————
      Don’t call me colored :nono:

categorized niggas :rofl:

so you saying Opine was probably calling shotgun on the slave ship?
      ________

Stawpppppp. :lol:

Fugg this bish, WHO ARE HER PARENTS?
      WHO RAISED HER? She’s too young to speak that way IMB…

Let’s look at them :popcorn:

saying nothing but we don’t watch the track and field relays
      ~~~
      oh gosh

Crickett says:

********************

:cosign:

I aint saying nothing but we don’t watch the track and field relays.. :cool:

:rofl: :rofl:

San ah make ya dance says:

Ppl talking stupid in here today. My gawd.

Nancy Drew (fka IsThisThingOn) has entered into witness protection :cool: says:

________________________

:rolleyes: yeah after we done set up shop, here they come to tell us tht we aint shyt for setting up the shop that they benefit from. :tea:

Not just your experience. Its become like, the norm for them.

I get mad as fuc.k when ppl (mainly islanders) basically disrespect Black Americans this way. Don’t even get me started. Kill me with that chit. :eyeroll: Their culture this and that. Like news flash, nigga(s) us too. :eyeroll:

I remember last year I had to go to this old sprites house to see where the 25’she wanted to fight for was. Knocked on her door she came to the door and stared.

When I got back to my office i called her to tell her do not remove the flag.
      She asked me was I the black woman that was there :blink:

Ol bissh, suffice to say her variance was denied :tea:

I say on everything, that I am a jew

=============

:huh:

Nevamind I’m not gonna start Roads Scowling and just let it lie

he!! i wanna be exotic too… :think:
      got it! :pc: <<<changing all my chit to "Hebrew" :yes:
      who gon' check me 'brew'? :waiting:

SOTHERNGRL says:

fancy muddacunt
      special snowflake
      **********************
      Yall so damn nice nasty :rofl:

luVn_liFe… says:

Noone’s watching the world Cup??
      ****************

Mighty funny how my area done turned in a ghost town all of a sudden. I know from their earlier conversation that it started at 4:00. All the men are gone from my area with their sneaky azzes. Even my boss snuck out and both black guys that sit in my area. WTF??? I’m just noticing that they ALL gone. I’m outta here.

:bite:

VDot says:

:fistbump: Black Jewish Power #SammyDavisJrEdition

oh gosh
      _______

I said I warnt saying nothing Sheesh.

“I believe”. :woot:

“Go USA.” :yahoo:

“Rah rah trick”. :hahaha:

Mighty funny
      :rofl: :rofl: BIRD They aint invite you to the viewing party :lol:

Ppl talking stupid in here today. My gawd.
      _________

Either @me San or you agree with me. :hahaha: That’s how im calling it.

Kidding btw. :)

107 What?

25’s?
      Flags?

da fugg is happening :huh:

missyJ says:

Guess it’s my white side but I love Greek yogurt and green juice

I had a smoothie with beets, lemon, kale, pumpkin seed, & cashews at lunchtime. slurped it right on up too, but thats not black folx staple food.

they walk thru the office with their green cups like its a badge of honor like real food done went out of style or its only for the plebians. like chewing is beneath them.

San ah make ya dance says:

Either @me San or you agree with me. :hahaha: That’s how im calling it.

Kidding btw. :)
      ——————————-
      :lol: Naw you talking too much sense on this topic but some others are pitiful to say the least

coco creamy says:

I say on everything, that I am a jew

=============

Nevamind I’m not gonna start Roads Scowling and just let it lie

_____________________________________________________

you should she what other stuff write, :coffee:

I’M

RIGHT

DTTS
      25 feet

San ah make ya dance says:

:hahaha: Shut yo mouth :chase:

sochlo504 says:

When I refer to white people I always say “German American, Irish American, something like that” just so people can hear how stupid that sounds. I prefer to just be called black. All those extras African american, afro american, colored is unnecessary. Just say black so we can get on with our day.

I was on CBS Better Mornings with her last week and she was so sweet. I do believe it was just a slip of the tongue, she’s a very nice lady. xoxo :tea:

JerseyGirl68 says:

This beyotch!! Have several seats!!!