A 23-year-old man died just minutes after guzzling a bottle of tequila at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic.
Kelvin Rafael Mejía was partying at the Vacca Lunge when he accepted a $630 bet to see who could drink the most tequila in a single gulp. He won the bet, but died minutes later.
Alcohol is classified as a central nervous system depressant. When an individual consumes a large amount of alcohol, it speeds to the brain shutting down the nervous system pathways that sends signals out to the body.
The alcohol also knocks out the respiration center of the brain, cuts off the flow of oxygen to the brain and causes brain functions to cease.
In a video that was uploaded online, Mejía is seen guzzling the contents of a bottle in one gulp.
The club promoter starts to count out his winnings as Mejía begins to nod. Within minutes, he passed out and collapsed in a heap on the floor. He never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The coroner ruled Mejía died of alcohol toxicity or alcohol poisoning.
Vacca Loung, where the bet took place, denies any responsibility for his death.
“The only contests we ever do are dance contests or costume contests, with the award of bottle of champagne or other drink,” Vacca Lounge said in a statement.
A local newspaper reported Mejía had just become a new father.
— Pao González (@PaolaG_B) February 28, 2017