A citizen's petition filed with the US Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday reported more than 30 different brands of spray antiperspirant and deodorants contain cancer-causing agents.
The deodorants contain a chemical the agency cites as "unacceptable toxicity" that shouldn't be used in deodorants.
Valisure, an independent lab that filed the petition with the FDA, said 59 antiperspirant and deodorant body spray products from 30 different brands were found to contain the harmful ingredient benzene.
Benzene is a colorless or light-yellow chemical that is a liquid at room temperature. It is typically used as a solvent and is a documented carcinogen in humans.
"It is, unfortunately, apparent that benzene contamination is a widespread and concerning issue in the American consumer product supply chain and underscores the critical need for independent testing," states David Light. "The global supply chain is incredibly complex and has many vulnerabilities. We believe some of these contamination issues, like benzene in consumer products, might be traced all the way back to the raw materials supplied to manufacturers. Increased vigilance and quality assurance is needed more than ever."
After the lab filed its petition with the FDA, Proctor & Gamble voluntarily recalled 17 of their products from Old Spice and Secret.
The company recalled its products "in an abundance of caution" per a press release.
Products with unacceptable levels of benzene that are still on the market include Tag, Sure, Equate, Suave, Right Guard and Brut.
The current products that have been recalled include:
- Old Spice High Endurance AP Spray Pure Sport
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Invisible Spray Stronger Swagger
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Invisible Spray Pure Sport Plus
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Invisible Spray Ultimate Captain
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Unscented
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Fresh Air
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh Twin Pack
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh
- Secret Fresh Collection Invisible Spray Waterlily
- Secret Fresh Collection Invisible Spray Lavender
- Secret Fresh Collection Invisible Spray Light Essentials
- Secret Fresh Collection Invisible Spray Rose
- Secret Outlast Invisible Spray Completely Clean
- Secret Outlast Invisible Spray Protecting Powder
- Old Spice Pure Sport 2021 Gift Set
Check the label on your deodorant or antiperspirant to see if it contains the harmful ingredient benzene.