Gilbert Carrasquillo/GC Images

CBS Studios has entered into a deal with activist Tarana J. Burke and her producing partner Mervyn Marcano to create new content.

CBS Studios announced the deal on Tuesday with the well-known racial justice, anti-violence and gender equity advocate who started the Me Too Movement.

As part of the deal, Burke and her producing partner will develop scripted, unscripted and documentary content via their Field/House platform. The content will be produced for linear television networks and streaming platforms.

"In our quest to partner with compelling storytellers, Tarana and Mervyn stand out," said David Stapf, President, CBS Studios. "Their drive and leadership as stewards of change brings a powerful and distinct voice to advancing stories of inclusion and impact. They are clearly magnets for many whose voices need to be heard and we're excited to work alongside them in this new venture."

"Creating space for new narratives has always been an integral part of cultural change work," said Burke. "Field/House is a platform for those new narratives. This partnership gives us the reach and scale to ensure that we build new audiences for new voices."

The new partnership joins the recently announced CBS Studios/NAACP production deal that focuses on producing premium content that tells inclusive stories, according to CBS.

Photo may have been deleted

Getty Images

Sharon Osbourne was paid up to $10 million to walk away from CBS talk show "The Talk" after her on-set blow up with a co-star.

The 68-year-old Brit clashed with her American co-host Sheryl Underwood during the March 10 episode, when she defended her friend Piers Morgan against allegations of racism following his comments about Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex.

This prompted the network to pause production of the show while they launched an investigation.

The show has been off air for almost two weeks due to the controversy. Last week, CBS announced that Sharon Osbourne would not return to the show as her actions "did not align with our values for a respectful workplace".

An insider told the New York Post's gossip column Page Six that Osbourne took a substantial payout to walk away and not look back.

"Sharon is walking away with a $5 to $10 million minimum payout," a source said, with another source adding that the outspoken TV personality will "talk when she is ready. She still wants to give her side of the story. She has been on that show for 11 years and knows all the secrets".

Photo may have been deleted

Getty Images, CBS

The short list of names to replace Osbourne includes actress Holly Robinson-Peete (pictured left), who accused Osbourne of calling her "too ghetto" to be part of the cast.

CBS confirmed The Talk will remain on hiatus for another two weeks before returning with Osbourne's replacement on 12 April.

Photo may have been deleted

Photos: Instagram.com/Getty Images

Gayle King lashed out at CBS editors over a promo clip in which she asked the late Kobe Bryant's friend, former WNBA star Lisa Leslie, to comment on his rape accusation.

"It's been said that his legacy is complicated, because of a sexual assault charge that was dismissed in 2003, 2004. Is it complicated for you, as a woman, as a WNBA player?" King asked.

Leslie said the allegations were a "non-issue" for her and that the Bryant she knew would never lust after other women in her presence.

"But Lisa, you wouldn't see it though. As his friend, you wouldn't see it," King persisted.

The 65-year-old co-host of CBS This Morning was shocked and saddened by the public's ferocious response to the clip, which she claimed was "totally taken out of context."

Photo may have been deleted

Screenshots: CBS This Morning

In videos uploaded to her Instagram and Twitter accounts on Thursday, an exhausted King said:

"I've been up reading the comments about the interview I did with Lisa Leslie about Kobe Bryant, and I know that if I had only seen the clip that you saw, I'd be extremely angry with me too. I am mortified. I am embarrassed and I am very angry. Unbeknownst to me, my network put up a clip from a very wide-ranging interview, totally taken out of context, and when you see it that way, it's very jarring."

King said she was persistent with the former WNBA star because she "wanted to make sure [Leslie's] position and perspective were very clear."

She was furious that CBS chose to post that clip without her knowledge.

"For the network to take the most salacious part, when taken out of context, and put it up online for people who didn't see the whole interview was very upsetting to me," she said. "That's something I am going to have to deal with with them."

King emphasized she didn't "intend" to offend the Bryant family, because she viewed Kobe as a friend.

"He was very kind and warm to me and I felt we had a friendly relationship. I too am mourning his loss like anybody else. I still am shocked by it. It's tragic and untimely and the last thing I would want to do is disparage him at this particular time."

CBS was quick to respond to King's allegations that they intentionally hung her out to dry to boost TV ratings.

In a statement to E! News, a CBS spokesperson seemed to confirm King's statement. The spokesperson said "changes have already been made".

"Gayle conducted a thoughtful, wide-ranging interview with Lisa Leslie about the legacy of Kobe Bryant. An excerpt was posted that did not reflect the nature and tone of the full interview. We are addressing the internal process that led to this and changes have already been made."

 

Photo may have been deleted

Photos: Instagram.com/Getty Images

Gayle King lashed out at executives at CBS over a promo clip in which she asked the late Kobe Bryant's friend, former WNBA star Lisa Leslie, to comment on his rape accusation.

The NBA legend was killed in a helicopter crash at the age of 41 last month, along with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven others.

King believes CBS set her up by releasing the promo clip over dozens of other clips they could have used.

In the clip, King asked Leslie if she thought the rape allegation "complicated" Bryant's legacy.

Bryant was charged with sexual assault after he had consensual sex with a promiscuous 19-year-old desk clerk at a Colorado resort in 2003.

The charge was later dismissed as a criminal complaint but settled as a civil case in 2005.

Photo may have been deleted

Screenshots: CBS This Morning

"It's been said that his legacy is complicated, because of a sexual assault charge that was dismissed in 2003, 2004. Is it complicated for you, as a woman, as a WNBA player?" King asked.

Leslie said the allegations were a "non-issue" for her and that the Bryant she knew would never lust after other women in her presence.

"It's not complicated to me at all, Leslie said. "Even if there's a few times that we've been at a club at the same time, Kobe's not the kind of guy, never been, like, 'Lis, go get that girl, or tell her, or send her this.'"

"But Lisa, you wouldn't see it though. As his friend, you wouldn't see it," King persisted.

The snippet was part of a wider interview with Leslie, but was the only clip CBS released online.

Predictably, Bryant's fans attacked King over the "disrespectful" line of questioning. The backlash was furious on social media. Many attacked King and her association with media mogul Oprah, who recently cancelled a planned documentary on sexual misconduct allegations against Russell Simmons.

Angry Bryant fans even went IN on King's wig.
 

Photo may have been deleted

Taking to Instagram, a somber-looking King responded: "I've been up reading the comments about the interview I did with Lisa Leslie about Kobe Bryant, and I know that if I had only seen the clip that you saw, I'd be extremely angry with me too."

King continued: "I am mortified. I am embarrassed and I am very angry. Unbeknownst to me, my network put up a clip from a very wide-ranging interview - totally taken out of context - and when you see it that way, it's very jarring. It's jarring to me. I didn't even know anything about it."

Honoring Bryant as "warm and friendly", King insisted there will be "a very intense discussion" between her and CBS about her future celebrity interviews going forward.
 

No photo

CBS

CBS is taking a huge gamble on a Chuck Lorre sitcom titled Bob Hearts Abishola, which explores the cultural differences between Africans and American Blacks. The show focuses on a relationship between a middle aged businessman and a no-nonsense nurse from Africa.

Billy Gardell (former lead of Mike & Molly) stars as Bob, while Transparent star Folake Olowofoyeku plays cardiac nurse Abishola who tickles Bob's fancy.

In the series premiere, Bob, who owns a pressure stocking company, is rushed to the emergency room after suffering a heart attack. When he awakens, he spots Abishola and immediately begins to flirt with her.

"Do people call you Abby?" he asks her. "No! Go back and wash your hands," she responds.

But Abishola really piques Bob's interest when she sings to him in her native Nigerian language.

Abishola is a single mom (her husband returned to Lagos after he was unable to find a job as a civil engineer in America).

She and her son Dele (Travis Wolfe Jr.) currently live with her relatives Auntie Olu (Shola Adewusi) and Uncle Tunde (Barry Shabaka Henley), who provide comic relief.

Abishola's relatives and friends don't take kindly to Bob - and they certainly can't see him married to Abishola.

One friend Kemi (Gina Yashere) explains, "Top of the list, Nigerian man — same tribe (Yoruba). Then, Nigerian man — different tribe (Igbo). Then, other Africans (except Tunisians and Egyptians). Obviously. Then Caribbean. Then white. Then African American."

Of course American Blacks are at the bottom of the totem pole.

Another friend named Gloria (the wonderful character actress Vernee Watson) takes offense to the disrespect Africans show American Blacks.

CBS hopes Black Americans will tune in anyway.

Malia Obama Has a Job

While other teenagers spend their summer splashing in the pool or frolicking on a beach, President Obama's daughter Malia, 16, will be collecting a paycheck as a production assistant on the new CBS show 'Extant'. Malia probably drives to work every day. According to Mrs. Obama, Malia already has her license.

Read more »

We all know by now that Senator John McCain has a short term memory problem and might even be suffering from the beginning stages of Alzheimer's disease. The major news networks realize that the presidential race is over if wind of this ever gets out.

So last week, CBS did a little creative editing to cover up a major McCain blooper and help their candidate out a little. CBS edited out McCain's blooper and replaced it with an attack on Obama.

Unfortunately for CBS, Keith Olbermann (MSNBC) and the Jedreport.com were on the job and replaced the video that CBS aired with the video of what McCain actually said. In the interest of fairness, CBS later uploaded the unedited video online.

But the fact that CBS chose to edit McCain's gaffe with an attack on Sen. Barack Obama is very telling and puts CBS snugly in bed with Fox News as two major networks that can't be trusted to deliver fair and unbiased reporting.