Photo may have been deleted

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Travis Scott has hired a high-powered attorney to defend him against lawsuits filed in the wake of the deadly Astroworld Festival.

Former Donald Trump attorney Daniel Petrocelli emailed attorneys representing the families of 10 deceased fans, offering to pay funeral costs and other expenses.

In his emails, Petrocelli said Scott "is devastated by the tragedy" and grieves for the victims' loved ones.

The family of the youngest victim, Ezra Blount, 9, rejected Petrocelli's offer.

According to the Houston Chronicle, Petrocelli, 68, is known for representing high-profile clients and reportedly charges $1,500 an hour.

Rick Kern/Getty Images

Petrocelli heads a team of attorneys defending the troubled rapper, who was arrested twice for inciting the crowd at his concerts.

Scott's legal bills will likely top $1 million a month.

Scott and the other defendants face 120 wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits totaling over $1 billion.

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube / ABC News

An attorney representing Travis Scott claims the troubled rapper wasn't aware that people were dying as he performed at his Astroworld Festival in Houston.

Nine people died and hundreds were injured during a stampede at the music festival on Nov. 5. But Scott performed for another 40 minutes.

Attorney Edwin F. McPherson claims the rapper was unaware of the chaos and deaths until the next morning.

In an interview on ABC's Good Morning America on Friday, McPherson called the chaos a "systemic breakdown" and said people should wait for the investigation before "we start pointing fingers at anyone.".

Erika Goldring/WireImage

McPherson claims the rapper nor his crew were ever informed that officials declared the concert a mass casualty event.

"He's up there trying to perform. He does not have any ability to know what's going on down below," McPherson said. "Travis didn't really understand the full effect of everything until the next morning. Truly, he did not know what was going on."

When asked about Scott's history of inciting the crowd to violence, McPherson said the rapper did what any other performer has done.

Rick Kern/Getty Images

"Travis as an artist has really grown up a lot. I have spoken personally to him about this and he really didn't understand the magnitude of his power up on the stage as a young performer. He's really matured over the years."

So far, 150 lawsuits have been filed against Scott, Live Nation Entertainment, and NRG Park where the concert was held.

The festival was insured for $26 million, but wrongful death claims are expected to surpass $100 million.

Scott has earned around $65 million overall from the festival, according to reports.

Watch the interview below.
 

Photo may have been deleted

TikTok, WENN

Travis Scott's ex-manager Shane Morris called him the "worst person" he has ever worked with after the rapper left him for dead.

In 2013, Morris, a sound engineer by trade, discovered aspiring rapper Travis Scott and took him under his wing. Shane set Travis up with free studio time and introduced him to key industry figures.

However, Morris claims Scott left him for dead in a basement after he suffered a seizure.

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

In the aftermath of the Astroworld tragedy that left 8 dead and hundreds injured, Morris took to TikTok to "spill a little tea" on his former client, who he called "genuinely a horrible person."

"Travis Scott is the worst person I worked with in my entire career in music," Morris said.

"Eight people are dead and hundreds more are injured after Travis Scott's callous, reckless behavior at Astroworld. And I hate to be the one saying this, but I saw this coming and I tried to tell everyone... I'm Travis Scott's former manager. I'm the one who had a seizure and I'm the one that he left for dead in a basement in Los Angeles."

Morris added:

"I can go on and on about the theft of sessions, assault, and all the lies he's told in his career but the thing that I want you to understand most is I think it's time to spill a little tea and I don't mind doing this because Travis Scott is genuinely a horrible person."

Morris admits he "artificially inflated" Scott's SoundCloud streams and Twitter followers to make the fledgling rapper appear to be more popular than he actually was so a record label would sign him.

Watch the video below:

@shanemorrisdotsucks

Reply to @user45600501586078 What does software have to do with music? ##software ##spillthetea ##behindthescenes ##travisscott ##astroworld

? original sound - Shane Morris

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube

Drake apparently ignored the advice of his counsel and is speaking out about the tragic deaths during Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival.

In a post on his Instagram page on Tuesday, Drake called the stampede that resulted in 8 deaths a "devastating tragedy."

"I hate resorting to this platform to express an emotion as delicate as grief but this is where I find myself. My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering."

The Emo rapper added:

"I will continue to pray for all of them, and will be of service in any way I can. May God be with you all."

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube

Travis Scott faces lawsuits from injured victims and families of deceased fans. Drake is also named in at least one lawsuit for "inciting the crowd."

Drake was a special guest at the concert and was not a scheduled act.

Photo may have been deleted

iStock / Getty Images Plus

Travis Scott has offered to cover the funeral expenses for fans who died at his Astroworld Festival.

TMZ reports Scott will fully cover any and all funeral costs for the 8 people who passed away at the concert this weekend.

The families haven't said if they will accept his offer. A few families created GoFundMe accounts to raise funeral expenses.

According to TMZ, Scott will partner with BetterHelp -- a network of mental health professionals -- to offer mental health services, for free.

Scott also announced he will refund all tickets to Astroworld.

The troubled rapper is desperate to repair his public image amid reports that he has a history of encouraging his fans to harm themselves.

THOMAS SHEA/AFP via Getty Images

Bryanna Morales, 17, poses at a makeshift memorial on the NRG Park grounds near where 8 people died. Morales was among hundreds injured during a crowd surge on Friday night.

Morales says she was knocked down twice and injured her foot during the concert. She says "the medical staff was not properly trained. I was taken into the medical tent because I was having a hard time breathing and all they did was hand me a bottle of water and told me to sit in the corner."

Photo may have been deleted

Rogers PD

The first lawsuit has been filed against troubled rapper Travis Scott after eight people lost their lives during his Astroworld Festival on Friday.

Kristian Paredes, 23, from Austin, Texas, was "seriously injured" during a deadly stampede at NRG Park in Houston on Nov. 5.

Rick Kern/Getty Images

In the lawsuit, obtained by DailyMail.com, Paredes accused Scott of "inciting the crowd" to surge forward.

Paredes' attorney said people were trampled at the front when Scott initiated a countdown and then emerged onstage with special guest Drake around 9 p.m. Friday. Drake was not among the scheduled performers.

"The crowd became chaotic and a stampede began leaving eight dead and dozens including Kristian Paredes severely injured," the court papers stated.

"Many begged security guards hired by Live Nation Entertainment for help, but were ignored," the document says.

The lawsuit said Drake and the other defendants, Live Nation and NRG Park, "knew or should have known of" Scott's "prior conduct."

The lawsuit claimed the injuries and deaths were due to the "negligence, carelessness and recklessness" of the "defendants, their agents, servants and employees, in the ownership, management, maintenance, operation, supervision, and the control of the subject premises."

Paredes is asking for $1 million in damages. He is seeking a jury trial.

Erika Goldring/WireImage

Hours after the tragedy, Scott's Astroworld team released a statement claiming a man was going around injecting people with an unknown substance.

However, an ICU nurse who attended the concert said no one saw a man injecting anyone.

"It was definitely overcrowded," ICU nurse Madeline Eskins told Rolling Stone.

Erika Goldring/WireImage

Eskins said the medical staff were untrained and inexperienced. She said they didn't know how to check for a pulse, and as a result, they performed CPR on people who had a pulse and didn't need chest compressions.

"Some of these medical staff had little to no experience with CPR - didn't know how to check a pulse, carotid or femoral," Eskins wrote on Instagram.

"Compressions were being done without a pulse check so ppl who had a pulse were getting CPR, but meanwhile there was not enough people to rotate out doing compressions on individuals that were actually pulseless. The medical staff didn't have the tools to do their jobs and despite the crowd around us trying to get someone to stop the concert they just kept going, even though Travis acknowledged that someone in the crowd needed an ambulance."

Scott was criticized for finishing his 75-minute set while chaos swirled around him.

On Saturday, Scott shared a video on social media in which he showed no remorse and claimed to care about his fans.
 

 
His words conflicted with his past behavior. The 29-year-old rapper was twice convicted of encouraging fans to jump security barriers and rush the stage at previous concerts.

In 2017, a fan was paralyzed after he was pushed off a "severely overcrowded" balcony during a concert at Terminal 5 in New York City.

Kyle Green's attorneys say Friday's deaths could have been prevented had Scott learned his lesson from the past.

Green, who is in a wheelchair, sued Scott, his management, a concert promoter, and a security company in 2017. His lawsuit is still pending.

Video taken by a fan at the same concert in 2017 shows Scott encouraging another fan to jump from the balcony.

"I see you, but are you gonna do it?" Scott repeatedly asked the fan. "They gonna catch you. Don't be scared. Don't be scared!"

Watch the video below.
 

Photo may have been deleted

Getty Images

The Houston Police Department is investigating at least one report that a security guard at Travis Scott's Astroworld concert was injected with an unknown substance.

Eight people died and hundreds were injured after a crowd surge and stampede at NRG Park in Houston, Texas on Friday night, according to police.

Erika Goldring/WireImage

Scott's Astroworld team disputes the crowd surge stories. Astroworld claims someone was going around injecting people with an unknown substance that caused sudden cardiac arrest.

Police Chief Troy Finner confirmed a security guard working for Astroworld felt a prick in his neck while he was trying to restrain a citizen, according to TMZ.

The guard reportedly fell unconscious and was revived with Narcan, an emergency drug administered by paramedics to reverse a suspected opioid overdose.

BACKGRID

There are no other reports of people being pricked by needles at the concert.

However, there are a plethora of witness accounts of fans being crushed by a crowd surge at the front of the stage.

Travis Scott has a history of encouraging risky behaviors at his concerts.

In 2017, a Scott was sued by a fan who was seriously injured when the rapper urged people to jump off a balcony at a concert in New York.

The 23-year-old fan said Scott yelled at his security guards to bring him to the stage.

"They didn't put a backboard or a neck brace on me or anything, they just kinda lifted me up and pulled me around. Then they dropped me in front of the stage."

A Reddit user posted a video that shows an enraged Scott urging concertgoers to beat up a fan who stole one of his sneakers.

Scott can be head yelling "Get that MF, get him. You tried to take my shoe? F*** him up! F*** him up!"

He then ordered his security to escort the kid out of the venue before spitting at him.

Watch the video below.
 

Erika Goldring/WireImage

At least eight people died and over 300 were injured during a stampede at rapper Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival in his hometown of Houston, Texas on Friday night.

8 people, including a 10-year-old boy, were pronounced dead at area hospitals. 23 others are hospitalized.

Police say the dead and injured were trampled when 50,000 people surged over barricades at the front of the stage on Day 1 of the sold out music festival at NRG Park.

Officials referred to the incident as a "mass casualty event" during a press conference on Saturday morning.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said authorities have "heard rumors of people injecting people with drugs" at the show, but added "I think it's very important that none of us speculate."

A source close to concert organizers told the NY Post:

"This was a targeted attack on innocent people, including a child. People were being spiked against their own will. The crowd surge was from panic because people were running for safety."

Erika Goldring/WireImage

Scott and fellow rapper Drake were performing onstage at the time of the fatal stampede around 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 5.

Angry fans took to Twitter to criticize Scott for not stopping the concert as his fans lay dying.

Footage shot at the scene shows paramedics performing CPR on unresponsive fans on the ground.

Social media influencer and reality star Kylie Jenner and her thee-year-old daughter, Stormi, both attended her boyfriend Travis Scott's concert. Kylie's sister, model Kendall Jenner, was also backstage. They were not injured.

The 29-year-old "Sicko Mode" rapper, real name Jacques Webster II, is best known for his hit singles "Antidote", "Mafia" and "Escape Plan" and for fathering two children with Kylie, 24.

Day 2 of Scott's Astroworld Festival has been canceled.

Watch video of fans breaking through a fence below.
 

Photo may have been deleted

Handout via Getty Images

The FBI and U.S. attorney are investigating New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's handling of nursing home deaths during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Democrats are moving to strip Cuomo of his emergency powers while the investigation is ongoing.

Last March, Cuomo issued an order sending coronavirus patients from hospitals into nursing homes, rather than to a Navy hospital ship that was anchored in the NY harbor.

Thousands of elderly nursing home residents died after being exposed to the sick patients.

Cuomo came under fire this month when Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa told a group of key Democrats in a closed-door meeting that Cuomo's administration had initially undercounted the true numbers of deaths of elderly residents by 50 percent.

Queens assemblyman Democrat Ron Kim was among those angry over the revelation. His uncle died in a nursing home.

"You can't hide information because you think you could be politically hurt in the process," Kim said during the virtual meeting.

DeRosa said the administration withheld information requested by the DOJ because “President Trump turns this into a giant political football... He directs the Department of Justice to do an investigation into us... Basically, we froze because then we were in a position where we weren't sure if what we were going to give to the [DOJ] or what we give to you guys... Was going to be used against us..."

Family members are furious that the Democrats were playing politics with their loved ones' lives.

"We need to get people subpoenaed. We need to get them under oath and find out who knew what when," Republican Assemblyman William Barclay said.

The GOP criticized the DOJ for not ramping up the investigation months ago when it was common knowledge that thousands died as a result of Cuomo's order.
 

This is an open post where you can discuss any subject matter. This post will not be censored or moderated. Disqus may automatically moderate certain words considered offensive. There are no rules in Open Posts. So enter at your own risk.

Photo may have been deleted

Getty Images

A white police officer was charged with murder in the shooting death of an unarmed Black man. Wolfe City police officer Shaun Lucas, 22, was booked into the Hunt County Jail on Monday night. His bail was set at $1 million.

Lucas is charged with killing Jonathan Price, who was walking away from Lucas when the officer opened fire Saturday night.

Price was reportedly helping to break up a domestic dispute when he was shot by Lucas, the Texas Rangers said in a statement.

According to the statement, Lucas said he responded to the domestic assault call, where he encountered Price, 31, who was "involved in the dispute."

The statement said Lucas "attempted to detain Price, who resisted in a non-threatening posture and began walking away."

Lucas used a stun gun before shooting Price, who was pronounced dead at a hospital.

"The preliminary investigation indicates that the actions of Officer Lucas were not objectionably reasonable," the Texas Rangers said.

"When police arrived, I'm told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on," said civil rights attorney Lee Merritt in a Facebook post. "Police fired Tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they 'perceived a threat' and shot him to death."

A GoFundMe account started by former Major League Baseball third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who grew up with Price, netted over $50,000 in less than 24 hours.

"I'm sick. I'm heartbroken... and I'm furious," Middlebrooks said.

Update: Shuan Lucas has been released on $1 million bond.