Their Words, Not Mine…

Lena Horne
The legendary actress Lena Horne passed away last night at New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center following a long illness. She was 92.

I wasn’t a Lena Horne fan (she was way before my time), but what I remember most about her (actually, the only thing I remember about her) was back in 2004 when she threw a fit after hearing that Janet Jackson would play her in a made-for TV biopic based on her life.

Horne got ABC’s top brass on the phone and she loudly demanded that they drop Janet, who earlier that year had exposed her breast in a near career-ending publicity stunt that she has never fully recovered from. The network initially resisted Horne’s request, but Janet gracefully backed out of the plum role to spare herself any further embarrassment.

Here’s what Janet (or whoever updates her Twitter page) had to say about the great lady’s passing:
Janet Jackson

There’s one more ‘Word’ after the break!

Jay Z
Dream Hampton

Dream Hampton is the former Editor-in-chief of The Source magazine and was the top contributing writer to VIBE magazine.

76 Responses to “Their Words, Not Mine…”

RIP to Ms. Lena Horne. :cry: ??Stormy weather, just can’t get my poor self together…It’s raining all the time, the time??… Although I prefer that as song by Ms. Billie Holiday.

My G’Ma is having a time dealing with this. Reminding her of her own mortality, I guess.

Ahhh @Dream. Pay attention. It’s simply because his features are pronounced and more ethnic….i.e., BLACK! Duh!

Why ppl always ‘flauging should be the bigger question.

Choco says:

Oh okay I’ve heard worse stories about Lena but I will respect her and not even say a word!

mirsmommy says:

RIP Lena Horne. My :heart: and :pray: go out to you and your loved ones.

mirsmommy says:

Who gives a rat’s a** about Camel-faced JayZ??? Some find him attractive, and some don’t. :shrugs:

Audacious2 says:

Its sad to hear the loss of another “Talented Tenth”. I was not a big fan of her of vocal or her talent as an actress either. But I would have been a fan of hers; if her intent for the Civil Rights Movement was not the same as her intent for marrying her last husband, to enhance her career.
    As far as beauty and grace, I think Cicely Tyson exudes more so.
    Now, what was the scandal with her granddaughter back in the day, “Amy Lumet”?
    anyway, blessings to all her offsprings.

Daisy says:

I think both Lena and Cicely were graceful and elegant in their own right

Peace and Blessings to her family and friends :pray:

Ebony says:

I’m not going to act like I know who Lena Horne is. The only thing I know about her was she was on an episode of A Different World. RIP

Man, I just don't care™ says:

I imagine Halle Berry playing a role as Lena Horne.

They remind me a lot of each other. Of course with Lena was way more talented than Halle. Looking at Lena as a younger woman, Halle REALLY resembles her to me.

attorneymom says:

RIP Miss Lena!

Candi Apple says:

Blessing out to Lena Horne’s family and friends.

All I can say is Damn to Jay’s lips. Buckle up for safety

Anna says:

Ebony says:

~~~~~~~~
    I don’t remember her on “A Different World”. I remember her on “The Cosby Show and Sanford and Son”.

Candi Apple says:

I have alot of old movies a collection

Claudine
    Mahogony
    Lady sings the blues

The Wiz….. Lena Horne played to good witch. She did a great job.

“You got to believe in yourself”. (all I could remember)

Candi Apple says:

I remember seeing that hair style somewhere.

Well, I’m off time to hit the track. Lata yall have a good evening

qtipthecat says:

I just remember Fred Sanford used to talk about her all the time. My daughter resembles her a little bit, except my daughter has green eyes. Blessings to her family. What does Jay have to do with this post???

Mother Jefferson says:

KrayZKat says:

I remember seeing Ms. Horne here in Portland, OR back in the 80′s. She was as beautiful in person as in pictures. RIP, Ms. Lena.

Krysi J says:

RIP Lena Horne

*side eyez Sandra*

see why you gotta bring up old shATTt! :waiting:

Daisy says:

Halle is very talented (Queen, The Wedding, Losing Isaiah, Monsters Ball, Jungle Fever, Why do fools fall in love etc) #thatisall :coffee:

Ms.Everything says:

RIP I just remember how gorgeous she was. My grandparents had an oil painting of her (idk where they got it or how but they knew a lot of people) and now my mom has it and whenever I see it I’m in awe. R.I.P

KrayZKat says:

qtipthecat says:

What does Jay have to do with this post???
    —————————————
    I was wondering that too.

Cinderella says:

Are you serious Sandra about Lena Horne? I am in my twenties and I know who she was. In the 4th grade we watched the movie “Cabin in the Sky” which featured Ms. Horne. It’s a great film if you’ve never seen it. R.I.P., Ms. Horne.

Ebony says:

@ Anna

She was on a different world when Jada Pinket Smith was on there as Lena. She said she was named after Lena Horne and they did a performance for her.

Dream put “Lena Horne” in her tweet. Tweets are categorized much like blog posts…

#LenaHorne (since she died) could have been the trending topic and Dream’s tweet would have classified…

*shrugs*

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@DAISY
    “Halle is very talented (Queen, The Wedding, Losing Isaiah, Monsters Ball, Jungle Fever, Why do fools fall in love etc) #thatisall”
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Halle is little more than a pretty face and VERY overrated…

(“Baps,” “Bulworth,” “The X-Men Triology,” “Swordfish,” “Catwoman”…)

tampa813 says:

I do see Alicia Keys playing this part more than anybody else. RIP Ms. Horne.

Oh, shi.t the X-Men triology wasnt good?!?!

#WhoKnew

Ebony says:

@ Man

No you did not bring up Babs, that’s my shyt :lol:

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@MOTHER JEFFERSON
    “I think Alicia has this role on lock, whenever her biopic is developed. She looks so much like Lena its crazy. I heard Lena liked the lesbuns too.”

Well, if liking the lesbuns is part of the requirements we know Alicia got that much down!

**looking at Lena again**

She does have “the look”….

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@OUTSIDE THE BOX
    “Oh, shi.t the X-Men triology wasnt good?!?!

#WhoKnew”
    _______________________________________________________________________________

The MOVIES were good, Halle Berry just wasn’t…

Ebony says:

I meant B.A.P.S

Ebony says:

Alicia Keys can not act :coffee:

SangriaSugar says:

RIP Lena Horne

Man, I just don't care™ says:

Alicia Keys can not act
    ______________________________________________________________________________

…or sing….

…or dance….

She is a mediocre song writer at best.

ELove says:

My Thoughts & Opinions (NOT YOURS for the ONES who lack Comprehension-Skills…)

I AGREE with Halle Berry being Very Overrated as an actress
    I AGREE that X-Men was GREAT but Halle Berry in it Wasn’t GREAT
    I AGREE with A-Keys CANNOT Act (Don’t have any Proof, I just believe she CAN’T Act)
    I AGREE w/ this statement —> “As far as beauty and grace, I think Cicely Tyson exudes more so.”

And FINALLY I AGREE w/ WHY the other individual is EVEN a part of this post ?!? :rofl:

Ebony says:

When Alicia Keys sings she slurs her speech, or her teeth are in the way of her trying to pronounce words :coffee:

lovezoe says:

RIP Soror Horne. If anyone should play her, I think Jada would do a phenomenal job.

PAHairston says:

Hello All, RIP Lena Horne. My mother loved this woman, along with all colored people back in her day because this is all they had, one light-skinned-ed black woman in the movies, something unheard of in the 30s and 40s and even into 2010, the pickings are slim.

Man, I just don't care™ says:

Cicely Tyson is overrated.

VIBABY says:

Every single time Halle opened her mouth in X-Men she made my damn head hurt. Bish was horrible! She flucked up Storms character…uuugh. STILL mad about that shyt…lol

Alicia would be a much better Lena…. #thatisall

Man, I just don't care™ says:

Alicia is having a hard enough time trying to play a “straight” woman in her day-to-day life.

Ebony says:

How old is Cisely Tyson, Louis Gosset Jr, and Samuel L Jackson :coffee:

KaraZ says:

Sometimes I have a hard time believing the lack of decorum and tact of some folks, but then I remember the only person I can hold up to my standards is myself.

RIP Ms. Horne, you helped paved the way for black entertainers in these United States, hopefully some of them live to set the standard you did.

VIBABY says:

@Ebony You mean combined total? 389…..

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@VIBABY
    “You mean combined total? 389…..”
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Are you sure? Cicely alone is over 100 isn’t she?

Ebony says:

@ Vibaby I mean individually. I thought Cicely and Louis where dead till I saw Why Did I get Married 2, and Samuel has been in 5011 movies. He must be at least 73 :coffee:

ELove says:

** LMAO ** @Ebony (Comment #45)

If I’m not mistaken Samuel is around 62 years of age (Real…) :lol:

qtipthecat says:

I too believe that AKeys will one day come out of the closet. It’s something I have been saying for years. I’m not sure what it is that sets off my gaydar but it’s just my opinion. No shade.

Ms.Everything says:

@ Ebony: Louis Gossett Jr has to be at least early 70′s, Cicely is probably a lil older.Samuel L. is in his late 50′s very early 60′s at the most and that’s pushing it. I think he just has that old look about him

@ Karaz: I completely cosign on your comment

chase says:

KaraZ says:

——————————————-

I agree with you 1,000,000%….. You said it better than I ever could of said it!

R.I.P Lena Horne!!!!

tampa813 says:

@KaraZ, very well said and much needed.

Binki says:

R.I.P. Lena Horne. I remember her being on A Different World as well. I know she’s done a lot more prior and since, but I remember that episode as well. Whitley was being uppity and trying to keep Mr. Gaines from being around her. Jay-Z? I’m not sure where that came from… :shrug:

Ebony says:

@ Binki

Yes Lena Horne snuck away and went to Mr Gaines restaurant and she wanted some soul food.

SugarPieHoneybunn says:

-Dreamhampton is lame. Jay-Z is cute for a camel. :coffee:

-Janet knew better than to be trying to play Lena.

-Halle Berry is the sh*t.

-Lena Horne was awesome, beautiful, and a legend. The woman can’t even die without people’s negative comments. Shameful.

#someblackpeoplebehavelikecrabsinabarrell :nono:

Daisy says:

I liked BAPS and Swordfish everybody has an off day even movie stars have off movies but Halle can act IMO at the end of the day.

AKeys was good in Sec Life of Bees

She can sing, write and produce very talented as well

AKeys and Halle WERK BISHES :cheer:

@Sugar :cosign:

Cinderella says:

@ Daisy, Halle’s best acting to date IMO was in “Losing Isiah” and “The Dorothy Dandrige Story.” She does well when given a script and a character with layers.

Daisy says:

@Cinderlla I forgot about Dorothy Dandrige yes she was very good in that as well. I liked her in Boomerang as well :D

winenroses says:

I read an autobiography of Miss Horne’s last Spring. She was a very angry and bitter woman. And rightfully so for an African American actress/singer trying to make it back then. She was denied some plum roles due to her being Black and outspoken and I’m sure she felt that anger right up until she breathed her last breath. Rest In Peace Miss Lena Horne. You were Amazing!

winenroses says:

The sad part about Jigga’s caricature up top…it looks JUST like him.

ryand91 says:

RIP Miss Horne. She was a woman of great talent and beauty.

Sidenote: I want that hairstyle she has in that picture. I love the looks of the 1930s – 1960s.

H.B.I.C says:

Lena Horne was a stunning woman. I admit I felt some kind of way about how she snubbed Janet but I give her props because when Hollywood and the movers and shakers wanted her to “pass” she stood her ground and took pride in her Blackness. As for the person who commented on Cicely Tyson having beauty, It is true that it is in the eye of the beholder because while Cicely Tyson may be talented her protruding teeth should have long been fixed! Sh!t she should have handled that with her ‘Roots’ check. I’ve been wanting to wrap a metal fence around her mouth piece since the phrase Right on was hip. Talent yes, beauty………

Audacious2 says:

***********************************************

You said it better than I could sistah! I was young but I remember that black folks weren’t feelin’ Ms. Lena or Sammy Davis Jr. back in the day. :coffee:

Daisy says:

@sandra *sideye* Lena Horne had plenty of black folks then and now who are/were feeling her :coffee:

The woman isn’t even the ground and folks throwing shade left and right hope nobody does the same to you once you have gone on smh

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@SANDRA

I remember some of “us” wasn’t feeling Sammy Davis Jr. aka “Mr. Shuck-N-Jive,” but I never heard of such with Lena. You sure about that one?

**LOL at people thinking Halle Berry can act!**

ELove says:

@H.B.I.C. (Comment #61)
    I’m SURE it’s the way I was reared Mostly by My Grand-Ma & Grand-Pa (R.I.P.) but a PALE-Looking Female has never equated to Beauty Or Even Stunning-Beauty to ME (Just My Opinion)… I JUST don’t see Real BEAUTY in that much LACK-NESS of Some kind of Natural-n-Beautiful Color :shrug:

electrik says:

i didn’t grow up during the type that lena was important so i knew of her but never cared to hear her sing. i just youtubed her and i listened to stormy weather…sorry i was disappointed. don’t see the hype and i’m pretty sure she got by on looks but i’m happy she “paved” the way for black women (i feel like this is said about everyone though so)

and HBIC, i don’t know much about cicely but i looked her up and she was very pretty. her teeth might be a flaw but lena had flaws too and people seem to look past that. at the end of the day, i guess it boils down to preferences

Ms.Everything says:

Halle is a good actress imo. Her problem is not always picking the best roles or when her roles are written by writers more interested in her beauty than her skills. She was excellent in Queen, Dorothy Dandridge, and other movies where the role had meaning. I think Storm was always my favorite character from Xmen but they didn’t give her any depth in the movie. They were more focused on Wolverine, Jean Grey and those people they could build revenue off and overlooked Storm. A lot of great actors look bad when playing poorly written parts (ie many of the actors who play in Tyler Perry movies)

A lot of people didn’t like Sammy Davis Jr but I also never heard the same of Lena. And after reading more about the Rat Pack and Sammy Davis’s history I gained more respect for him because he put up with a lot of **** in order to do what he loved to do and feed his family. Most of the Rat Pack was racist as hell, he had to stay in second rate accomodations compared to theirs, wasn’t paid as well, called **** on stage yet he managed to stick it out wthout killing someone and while a lot of black celebs died broke, his family is surviving. Had he spoke up he would’ve gained respect from blacks true but he would have lost his only source of income and suffered because blacks in those days weren’t running anything in Hollywood. Hell Georgia banned Ray Charles for refusing to play a segregated concert but times had changed some by then and he was already established enough that this record company wasn’t letting go of him, they would’ve let go of Sammy Davis in a second. Not saying its right but I can understand. I mean who hasn’t had to choose at least once between shutting their mouth and putting food on the table. If you haven’t then you’re a truly blessed person

Daisy says:

LOL at ppl who think Toya is classy..now we are even POW :coffee:

@Mseverything very well said

Man, I just don't care™ says:

**side eye at Daisy**

Nightshift says:

Lena Horne was actually a childhood friend of my grandmother. She was a beautiful and talented woman that opened many doors for black actresses. Many don’t realize it, but even though she was light-skin, the YT studios gave her hell even down to not having makeup for her. And please don’t tell me about what some black folks did not like about her. Hell, many of those same black folks were not supportive of Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was on the front line. Don’t even get me started about that kind of mess.

Anyway, Sandra I am truly disappointed that you could not just allow us to acknowledge her death without making it seem controversial. The post you made was bizarre and petty. I would rather you had posted nothing about her than insult her for the hell of it. #justsayin

Ms.Everything says:

Thanks Daisy and I feel you @Nightshift. But for whatever reason nowadays when people die there’s a brief moment of respect than all the people come out who’ve held grudges for years and try to get their shine. Every major death in the last couple years has had this same pattern.

PS: there are many who feel that lighter skin makes you less black and less prone to the same racism, ignorance and stereotypes that other blacks go through. I’m light and bright but I’m still clearly black and have to deal with the same bull**** daily if not more because I’ve got outside races hating that I’m black and my own race hating that I’m light. But nows not the time for a race discussion.

(Sorry if this double posts)

pointhimout says:

well, she was 92. i know and always knew who she was. I just can’t name anything she has done cuz i’m not that kinda fan, and is way before my time.

i was thinking raven symone, but she’d be better playing phyllis hyman. janet as lena, i dont see that, even before the wardrobe malfunction. a lot of times they use these big names to draw attn to a project. janet was never going to play lena horne, trust me. they did the same with the richard pryor project. for the longest time eddie murphy, eddie murphy, eddie murphy. now it’s marlon wayans, who is nowhere near the same calibre as eddie, but it drew so much attn, ur now prepped for this project when it comes.

aqtpie says:

R.I.P. Ms. Horne!!

Nightshift says:

Ms.Everything says:

(Sorry if this double posts)
    _________________________________

You are so correct. But Sandra seems to absolutely hate light skin people and it’s so disturbing. To make up a damn post about this woman just not to say anything nice and draw out all the other folks with color issues or that want to pick her apart is crazy and totally disrespectful to an elder.

Alicia has done a great job acting TO ME. Now I don’t know if I am being partial to her compared to other singers turned actors (ahem Beyonce) or if she just got better movies (The Secret life of Bees, The Nanny Diaries and Smoking Aces <-LOVED THIS MOVIE). I think she could play Lena Horne. She is beautiful, graceful, and ubber talented in the vocal department. She would just have to lose some weight. Lena was a skinny mini and Alicia has wide thighs- it's not impossible though.

:cheers: TEAM ALICIA

My other soror Jada Pinkett Smith could do it to though I am not a fan of her musical offerings and she is a bit old to be playing her. She is still beautiful though!

At any rate, either one of them better hurry BEFORE Matthew Knowles realizes Ms. horne has gone on and starts smelling blood in the water for Beyonce who DEFINITELY CAN NOT ACT!

KayCeiSoul says:

Ms. Lena Horne got down in “The Wiz” singing “…if you beeelllieeve in yourseeellff WHEEEW chile”. RIP Ms. Lena Horne. You were a talented woman.