Rahm Emanuel Chokes Up Discussing Hadiya Pendleton

Hidaya Pendleton

Last month, President Barack Obama flew cross country to personally share in the grief of the parents who lost their children in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook school shooting.

In the hours following the shooting death of a 15-year-old girl who danced for him at his Inauguration, the president and First Lady Michelle Obama released this statement:

“The president and first lady’s thoughts and prayers are with the family of Hadiya Pendleton.”

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel choked up while discussing Hadiya Pendleton at an afternoon press conference today.

Obama’s former White House Chief of Staff, said the honor student and drum majorette was “what is best in our city,” and he called the gunman who killed her a “punk.”

His voice cracking, the mayor spoke directly to Pendleton’s mother, Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton.

“Nothing pains you more than calling a fellow parent, trying to comfort them,” Emanuel said.

“She is what is best in our city. A child going to school, who takes a final exam, who had just been to the inaugural,” Emanuel said. “You look at her, you look at how she talked about her future. She took her final exams. She had dreams. And this gang-banger, this punk took that away from Cleopatra. They took it away from Hadiya. And in my view, they took it away from the city of Chicago.”

Pendleton died just days after performing for President Obama with her high school band.

Witnesses tell CBS 2’s Mike Parker that Pendleton was among a group of 10 to 12 teenagers seeking shelter from the rain under a canopy in a park on the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue around 2:30 p.m., when a gunman jumped a fence, and opened fire on the teens.

Police said Pendleton had no gang affiliations, but several of the teens she was with were believed to be known gang members.

• Oprahs Bunion

Still at it, huh SR? :no:

:tea:

palease :rolleyes:

• MsChocoTe

I agree with Comment 1.

• goat76

I know this may sound harsh, but fcuk it.

You know what. Nvrmind.

• Trendsetter

And my sister lives near where she got killed at…

Goat I swear u a fool :hahaha:

• MissHarlem

And on this note :peace:

Trend I pray that she is safe in that area :pray:

• Gigi26

:no: RIP, she didn’t deserve to die at all…but bullets don’t have a name on em unfortunately…

Rahm needs to come up with a task force to find these losers and take em out..by any means necessary :yes:

• Trendsetter

OB email me if you don’t mind

starr.scarlett at gmail

• Oprahs Bunion

Trendsetter says:

And my sister lives near where she got killed at…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It’s a very sad story.

• INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST

SO ARE WE IMPLYING THE PRESIDENT DOESN’T CARE, BECAUSE IF SO, UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALLY ASKED HIM OR DISCUSSED IT WITH HIM, YOU REALLY DON’T KNOW HE FEELS AT ALL, AND JUST BECAUSE HE HASN’T SPOKEN PUBLICLY ABOUT IT, DOESN’T EQUATE HIM NOT CARING-THAT’S A HASTY ASSUMPTION :coffee:

• Oprahs Bunion

Damn, you read my mind Trend!!! GET OUT MY HEAD!

• Trendsetter

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Trend I pray that she is safe in that area

Normally it’s a safe neighborhood but not anymore…this story and the other stories just saddens my heart. Our youth are dying young…I’m scared for my son to grow up

• Diva

We gotta go back downstairs…..one post on this is enough..RIP beautiful one…now ya’ll come on down 1 flight right now…..or I’m gonna unleash my gravi on ya! :rofl:

• goat76

Trendsetter says:

OB email me if you don’t mind

starr.scarlett at gmail
    ————————
    Oh I don’t mind at all!!

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

I was informed that President Obama did indeed release a statement about Hadiya. I edited my post to include that statement.

:preach: Intense :clap:

• Trendsetter

goat76 says:

Trendsetter says:

OB email me if you don’t mind

starr.scarlett at gmail
    ————————
    Oh I don’t mind at all!!

lol

• INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST

HMMM..

• aint nobody got time for that

So if Obama gives a speech like right now, is it gonna bring this girl back? RIP to this beautiful young.

• goat76

Is it a black and white issue that you have against the Prez? Do you feel he pays more attention to the white peoples tragedy or something?

• Victoria

Sandra,
    The Obama shade is kinda unwarranted and distracting. I’m angry at the coward that killed this young lady. Obama didn’t pull the trigger. Nor will a phone call or national press conference change the fact this girl died. You incessantly pointing that Obama did make a statement out really does nothing but deflects from the issue at hand. He’d be releasing statements all day didnt a gunman shot up a office today?

• Victoria

*didnt

Trend :stop: Keep you son covered in prayer love! Speak life not death always

• http://youtu.be/vbfqg0RPm4w Breezy

———————————

Are you happy now?

This is a terrible loss yes, but is it just me but that mass shooting was a bit much all at ounce :shrugs: not saying that any child is more important than the next but this is really not a good comparison. :tea: just my opinion though

• aint nobody got time for that

N all the victims in sandy hook weren’t white so…… :tea:

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

@ goat76: Please act like you’ve noticed the disparities in Obama’s reaction to tragedies involving color.

• aint nobody got time for that

:waves: night Harlem

• OutsidetheBox

Good update. :eek:

:ghost:

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

@ aint nobody: You’re right. They were white and Hispanic.

• Oprahs Bunion

@SR – Do you expect the president to address all black issues in this country? I just don’t understand your stance on this.

Shame on you Sandra for creating a Obama hate smoke screen by using these poor innocent Children :nono:
    :tea: Still love your blog by the way :D

• GellySammich

I agree with you Jenie. And it’s something about the loss of babies :no: To a mother, the loss of a child is just that at any age. But to be on the outside looking in, younger people are harder to hear about. Just hurts your soul.

• Oprahs Bunion

:preach: @INTENSE!!!

• goat76

Before I respond, I need to know how much rope I got. Cause if this gonna be my last post, I wanna go out with a BANG BANG!!

• Diva

@goat you said you wanna go out banging? :rofl:

• Diva

Sandra give us free of this post!!! Rhi did and interview with RS magazine and confessed her love and confirmed she is dating CB again…can you give us a post on that?

• Oprahs Bunion

Diva says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All her bidness!

• GellySammich

Attempting a brazen getaway after a car crash via an ambulance, a pair of horses and a stolen SUV when you’re drunk may not be the best idea. At least it wasn’t for an Alabama man who attempted to do exactly that over the weekend, according to police.

The series of transportation failures began last Friday, when 24-year-old Matthew Todd of Boaz, Ala., got into a car accident, reported NBC affiliate WAFF-TV in Alabama. Investigators told WAFF that Todd was intoxicated at the time of the crash.

It’s unclear whether there were other drivers involved and what kind of injuries Todd suffered from the crash. He was taken by ambulance to the nearest emergency room at Marshall Medical Center South in Boaz and admitted as a patient, but Todd had no interest in sticking around: Authorities said shortly after he got there, he persuaded hospital staff to let him go outside for a smoke break.

Once outside, instead of grabbing a cigarette, Todd hopped into an ambulance that was running, according to WAFF.

“He got the ambulance stuck at the end of Bernard Street and after that, he entered a barn and a connected pasture and tried to saddle two horses,” Boaz Police Chief Todd Adams told WAFF.

The attempted equestrian escape was just as doomed as the ambulance he had to abandon, so Todd stole an SUV instead, WAFF reported. He crashed the SUV, totaling it, according to Boaz police; Todd allegedly then found a second SUV to steal, which finally ended up being his ticket back to his house, WAFF reported.

Todd spent the night at home, and the following day, returned to the emergency room seeking treatment for the injuries he suffered from the initial car accident.

• Oprahs Bunion

goat76 says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :shotsfired1: …I always wanted to use that! :hahaha:

• OutsidetheBox

I LOVE me some Goat. :lol: :lol:

• OutsidetheBox

:rofl: :rofl:

• Oprahs Bunion

OTBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DoNotDeleteMe

The only way the “officials” in Chicago is going to get their heads out of the Northside Chicago’s arse is for people to boycott the city. Don’t go into this warzone until someone gets the gumption to create, pass, and enforce meaningful legislation so that we don’t keep losing our future. Decent, law-abiding Blacks are held hostage by punk arse n*ggers who don’t care about us. The only person that should dead is the punk that pulled that trigger and any little wannabe thug that was in that group. All of that potential, beauty, and investment struck down by a deranged n*gger with an illegal gun. :cry:

• GellySammich

That’s what got me OTBey. Not the fact that his dumb ass tried to take TWO horses… not one but two… but he did all that and still went back to the same hospital?!?! :rofl: you couldn’t drive that stolen car to a diff hospital?

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

:newpost:

• scorpio

It’s ironic that this young girl would be killed by gun violence, especially with all the talk about guns these days. It makes me wonder if, young innocent, promising, people are victims to get these guns off the streets finally?

• sassyshe

This is really sad. Im always telling teens Im around about being careful about who they affiliate with in public because you never know how you can become a victim to that person’s lifestyle

• http://myspace.com/afiya00 Afiya

The just spoke about this young lady and the mother who lost all her children to gunfire on NBC Nightly news. :(

:cry:

• Ni ni

sandra I agree with you in your last comnents about the president. I also agree with the poster who said obama is doing everything for everyone except black america(gays, illegals) Weve expected other pres to help blacks in some way or other and I dont mean a handout. Yes he can do more for that city if he wanted to. Im so glad I woke up this election and did not give him my vote again.

• tintin1979

I will work 20 jobs to make sure i don’t have to raise my kids in the hood. I just can’t go through something like this. Although, it can happen anywhere, certain parts of the city are where it is most likely to happen.

• Lady_L

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

• why?

Seriously. The prejudice the Pres is showing is starting to get on my nerves. He lived in Chicago…no tears for kids getting killed there before Sandy Hook. Smiley and West ain’t getting rich talking about this.

Still got ya back though…upset that you know that and sitting on your hands re: promoting change for folks that look like your wife and absent father. Maybe the sting from a black father not being there for you has you not caring…mine wasn’t shat either…still want better for the babies that have a strike against them because of their skin though. Come on man.