Jay Z is now officially a licensed NBA agent

Jay Z is now officially a licensed NBA agent

Rap mogul Jay Z has all the right connections. The self-professed “business, man” is now licensed by the NBA to represent NBA athletes, according to a report on ESPN. The news was first reported by Sports Business Journal.

Jay Z, who has zero experience as a sports manager, signed NY Yankee Robinson Cano and NY Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz after forming Roc Nation sports management agency with his business partner Juan Perez (pictured left). He later signed WNBA player Skylar Diggins. But professional athletes are not rappers, and insiders are questioning whether Jay Z has the skills to negotiate major sports contracts and endorsements for his clients.

The 45-year-old narcissist initially led the media to believe he had forfeited his less than 1 percent interest in the Brooklyn Nets in order to be eligible to represent NBA players. But a source close to the situation told ESPN that, as of Wednesday, Jay Z had not sold his small ownership share of the Brooklyn Nets.

ESPN speculates that Jay Z will not actually represent his sports clients himself. It’s obvious that he is using his fame to collect professional athletes to boost his own brand and his ego.

From ESPN (via Rap Radar):

The first NBA player Jay-Z is expected to sign is Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant, who told his agent, Rob Pelinka, in recent days that he would sign with Jay-Z. Durant has not commented publicly.

Since announcing his intention to start a sports agency a few months ago, Jay-Z’s firm has signed New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith and former Notre Dame guard Skylar Diggins, who recently was selected third by the Tulsa Shock in the WNBA draft.

Roc Nation partnered with Creative Artists Agency to do Cano’s contract negotiations since the company doesn’t have an MLB agent on its roster. Smith’s contract will be negotiated by Kim Miale, Roc Nation’s new NFL agent who has very little experience.

On Wednesday, NFLPA officials met with Miale to determine if Jay-Z, who is still not certified with the NFL, violated the union’s “runner rule.” The rule says that anyone who is not certified cannot recruit players, yet Smith, the Jets’ rookie backup quarterback, tweeted a picture of himself sitting in the same room with Jay-Z. The outcome of the meeting between the NFLPA and Miale is not known.

• Miami Heat Rally Back to Force a Game 7 in the NBA Finals
  • Jay Z is selling his minuscule percentage of the Brooklyn Nets for $350K
  • The Success of the Brooklyn Nets Rests On Jay Z’s Shoulders
  • Jay Z to open sports bar in Atlanta?

38 Responses to “Jay Z is now officially a licensed NBA agent”

Lady_L says:

Good for him.#grinding

Betamax82 says:

Congrats on the power move

Mr.BluPhi says:

Good power move…

FuturedocDonte says:

I wonder how much money he makes from being a nets owner? Or maybe it’s not about the money :thinking:

______________________________

THEY ARE WITH HIM MERELY BECAUSE HE’S JAY Z. ITS A HARD BLOW TO THOSE AGENTS WHO HAVE YEARRRRS UPON YEARRRRS OF WORK EXPERIENCE + EDUCATION. JAY Z IS TRYING TO BE IN THE BILLIONAIRES CLUB nothing more or less. HE see’s dollar signs.

I dont fux with Jay Z..so whatever :coffee:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

:thinking: I have tons of contract experience… Jay-Z should hire me :tea:

Morning & chit Roses :waves;

LSLH says:

#Paula’s Best Dishes

Nigs in a blanket

Emmitt Tilapia

Section 8 Layer Cake

Ku Klux Klam Chowder

Trayvon Martini

You hear white folks talkin “you better hush puppies”

His eye is on the spare ribs

Stand your ground beef

Wade in the watermelon salad

We shall over-Crumb cake

Tar baby back ribs

Coming forth to carry me home fries

:dead: :dead: :dead:

LSLH says:

Some of my best friends are black eyed peas

#Paula’s Best Dishes

Smonae says:

Jay is a Business man and I’m glad he’s doing good. Gotta respect his drive and hustle :applause:

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

HE SAID IT BEST…”I’M NOT A BUSINESSMAN, I’M A BUSINESS MAN, LET ME HANDLE MY BUSINESS, DAMN!” HE IS DEFINITELY ABOUT HIS, CONGRATS ON ANOTHER POWER MOVE.

lovezoe says:

Keke baby mime months drinking juice out a bottle.:smh:

RoyalLuv3 says:

:hump: Victor Cruz and Robinson Cano is adorable to me.. not sexy but adorable

Morning

MoniquetheGeek says:

Sure more athletes will flock to Roc Nation now.

Instead of focusing on endorsements, some of these athletes need to focus on their game. :bball: Someone on Twitter said that Blake, Paul, Durant, and James have more commercials than any other athlete but only has 1 ring amongst them. Meanwhile, Parker and Duncan only have the NBA Cares commercial and each have at least 3 rings. Guess their focus is less on commercials and more on winning.

lovezoe says:

Jay know he can’t rap forever and his artists won’t be hot forever. Do you. Once he get Bron, it’s gone be a wrap.

Lady_L says:

LSLH says:

#Paula’s Best Dishes

Nigs in a blanket

Emmitt Tilapia

Section 8 Layer Cake

Ku Klux Klam Chowder

Trayvon Martini

You hear white folks talkin “you better hush puppies”

His eye is on the spare ribs

Stand your ground beef

Wade in the watermelon salad

We shall over-Crumb cake

Tar baby back ribs

Coming forth to carry me home fries

———————————–

OMG thank you for this I needed a laugh this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovezoe says:

Monique- I think the companies are trying to reach a larger audience with younger players.

MoniquetheGeek says:

Sure more athletes will flock to Roc Nation now.

Instead of focusing on endorsements, some of these athletes need to focus on their game. Someone on Twitter said that Blake, Paul, Durant, and James have more commercials than any other athlete but only has 1 ring amongst them. Meanwhile, Parker and Duncan only have the NBA Cares commercial and each have at least 3 rings. Guess their focus is less on commercials and more on winning
      __________________________

:preach: but when u making that much money and aint never had shyt before IT AINT ABOUT THE GAME ANYMORE. ALL THESE CATS WANNA BE DIVA’S AND SOCIALITES. cant knock the hussle :bball: aint forever

I JUST DONT FUX WIT JAY Z :coffee:

Segregated eggs #PaulasBestDishes

GAGIRL87 says:

shyt like this is why I find him (Jay Z) attractive :love:

#powermoves
      #hustle
      #drive

Git that money Jay. You need an assistant bruh? And Sandy that story you referenced says nothing about Victor bein on the Roc.

Betamax82 says:

Ok yall am I overracting :offtopic: on my way to work I stopped at Chevron and I saw this lady get out of her suv with what appeared to be her daughter and they were shopping so I check out and proceed outside to my car I look over at her truck and her baby is inside all alone I find that disturbing to a point if you can take one inside you can take both inside am I overreacting with all the car jacking that you hear about in the news

MsB2u says:

good for him the rich keep getting richer

Smonae says:

GM :hi: Beta hell naw, I wouldve called the police on her & prolly gave her the biz myself THE PHUCK wrg wit people :mad:

Yea…. I believe he’s after the money more than the practice of being an “agent”. Whatevs.

lovezoe says:

I must be losing it. I’m watching the latest RB Divas and I KNOW I’m seeing some of the scenes from the last episode.

Betamax82 says:

@ Smonae you know how that goes with folks and they’re kids shyt can go left real quick I just sat therein my car and waited until they came out there were a lot of creepy looking guys around smh

Beta the one on the store may have needed to go to the restroom. I know it’s bad but on occasion I have run into the convenience store and let lil mama stay in the car. Since hearing about that car jacking a couple of weeks ago I doubt I’ll be doing it again though.

Betamax82 says:

:newpost:

Betamax82 says:

Ok yall am I overracting on my way to work I stopped at Chevron and I saw this lady get out of her suv with what appeared to be her daughter and they were shopping so I check out and proceed outside to my car I look over at her truck and her baby is inside all alone I find that disturbing to a point if you can take one inside you can take both inside am I overreacting with all the car jacking that you hear about in the news
      ———-
      I don’t think the oldest should have gotten out of the car if she was going to leave the baby in the car…but if she was going to take one out she should have gotten them both out…

lovezoe says:

I don’t even like leaving mine when I run upstairs to get something. Now that we stay on the third floor, nope. Can’t do it. It only takes seconds and I’m no Usain Bolt.

Betamax82 says:

Bird neither one of them used the restroom saw their whole movements through the windows

goat76 says:

“insiders are questioning whether Jay Z has the skills to negotiate major sports contracts and endorsements for his clients.”

He’s done pretty well for himself with $100 millis deals, I don’t see a couple of deals worth multi-million dollars being a problem.

Being a sports agent is a logical move for Jay Z since he has lived off others his entire life. This will be no different. These guys will have terrible contracts tho. :lol:

Lovely One says:

@ Man, I just don’t care™ says:

——————————————–
      Hit the nail on the head :applause:

Binks says:

I was appalled when I first read about this agent nonsense a few weeks ago. Entertainers continue to take over jobs they are not trained for and are allowed to do it all because of their popularity. Then someone said to me “he’s probably going to open up the doors for African American sports agent”…so I calmed down a little. Now I go and google Kim Miale (his go to agent because he has no experience what so ever) and this broad is Caucasian!!! I’m back to being appalled.

Some of you sound mad! Take that energy and put it towards whatever dream you may have. It might just come to fruition.

The money comes from endorsements. Who the hell just do work for solely the “love” of it. Hell I love to teach but let the check stop…

Sports agents are no different than JayZ….they want that % off someone elses talent. Yall hiring?

Lovely One says:

@ therapist1911 says:

——————————————————–
      I didn’t see anyone getting mad. I just dont’ think that Jay Z is qualified. Now, if Jay Z’s LAWYERS decided to act as sports agents, then that would be a different ball game.

I simply see Jay Z (especially as a sports agent) as a modern day Don King. :shrugs: