The Success of the Brooklyn Nets Rests On Jay Z’s Shoulders

Rap mogul Jay Z will officially open the brand new Barclay’s Center with a concert tonight. The 675,000-square-foot arena in Brooklyn, NY is home to the Brooklyn Nets. Without Jay Z’s influence this night would probably never happened.

The 42-year-old rapper, real name Shawn Carter, used his political clout and business connections to move the former New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn, which is just a stone’s throw from his former stomping grounds where he dealt drugs as a wayard teen.

In an excellent article titled JAY-Z BARELY OWNS THE NETS AND THAT BARELY MATTERS, Vice.com explained that Jay Z “barely” owns the Nets. In fact, Jay’s ownership amounts to one fiftieth of 1 percent — not even a full percent.

To put it into perspective, Jay invested a million dollars in the team in 2003, which is a little more than what the Nets will be paying CJ Watson — who is good at Twitter but not that great at basketball — to sit on their bench this season.

Jay Z used his powerful connections with city government to help Russian businessman — and Nets owner — Bruce Ratner secure land to build the Barclay’s Center by squeezing poor residents out of their homes.

Vice.com writes: “it’s way easier to convince a city to let you bring a sports team there if you’re a really cool professional rap guy, especially one who grew up around the place where the stadium’s supposed to be.”

Vice.com also noted Jay Z owns Translation, an advertising agency whose only client is the Brooklyn Nets. If the Jay Z/Brooklyn Nets/Barclay’s deal is beginning to sound like an organized Rico racket, those thoughts will evaporate once the Nets ring up a winning season.

Thanks to loyal reader Sonia G. for the link!

• Obama: “I am not the president of black America”
  • Black people love Mitt Romney
  • Beyonce: ‘I feel better when my body is still curvy’
  • Former Drug Dealer & Rapper Denies Jesus

116 Responses to “The Success of the Brooklyn Nets Rests On Jay Z’s Shoulders”

FTP_L@kEz*.* says:

LAKERS :champ:

BrownSuggaBabe says:

:yawn:

Gigi26 says:

I’m not gonna say much but its the team who hold’s the fate not necessarily Jay Z…that and upper mgmt.

But for Jay to bring something of this magnitude to Brooklyn, I can respect that. Cuz Brooklyn when and where I grew up…we never saw no shyt like this happening.

So that I can respect him for. :yes:

Bad Influence says:

that fruity ass pic.. :blink:

hell_on_heels says:

The arena itself looks nice…..I’m still not sure as to why they needed to move the Nets to Brooklyn….none the less I could care less. NOT a fan of Jay Z and I probably never will be….struggling team, hasn’t had a winning record in YEARS, yet Billion(s) have been spent…I just don’t get it.

Keesh says:

Ok, Im going to do some work for about 45 mins.. be back. Im from TN…

:koolaid:

hell_on_heels says:

OKC ALL DAY…..

EB says:

Did y’all see the Brroklyn nets cheerleader uniforms :eek:

Agree’s with HIS my first thought

But call me __________ but I just realized why they said House of Deform designed the uniforms for cheerleaders cuz Jay owned them :rofl:

@EB
      Yep that chit look like cheap azz pirate costumes out of the Party Store

Razzle Dazzle Boo says:

:yawn:

bnatural says:

EB says:

Did y’all see the Brroklyn nets cheerleader uniforms :eek:
      —————–

I bit ghetto if you ask me…but I guess it fits in with all of the other uniforms :shrug:

I don’t understand why they went after CJ Watson…did they watch him play in Chicago? :shrug:

LadeeA says:

Bad Influence says: that fruity ass pic
      ________________________________________

:rofl: AGREED!

Who poses like that?!

marquez269 says:

AS long as you have gimmicks a winning record is a thing of the past. Gimmicks fill seats! I bet the opening game is sold out

Gigi26 says:

Hell on Heels: The Nets when in NJ had 2 or 3 consecutive winning seasons, with Kenyon Martin, Jason Kidd and some other cats. They made it to the finals twice I believe but were swept both times. They’ve been crap ever since though :yes:

I hope those uniforms were a joke cuz that shyt got soulful written all over them :lol:

EB says:

@ choco they look like something bettlejuice would wear

Gigi26 says:

Shyt the Knicks have had a shytty record ever since 76 but them games are ALWAYS sold out!! :lol:

LadeeA says:

I’m from NY. Not impressed and don’t care. He could’ve spent a million dollars for something people care about. Cuz don’t NOBODY care about the Nets!!

Bad Influence says:

House of Deform…

Razzle Dazzle Boo says:

BrownSuggaBabe says:

@Choc & Razz now I don’t doubt that women can go thru menopause at an early age..That story just ain’t stickn w/me..I know this cat & I’m like its more to it than he’s telling me..ijs
      ————————–
      oh yea sometimes when people tell stories they tend to leave out the most important details :lol:

Smonae80 says:

Nice stadium, wish I could attend the concert, don’t wanna see the game

Razzle Dazzle Boo says:

:buttshake:
      I kissed a girl and I liked it
      The taste of her cherry chapstick
      I kissed a girl just to try it
      I hope my boyfriend don’t mind it
      It felt so wrong
      It felt so right
      Don’t mean I’m in love tonight
      I kissed a girl and I liked it
      I liked it
      :whistle:

69 says:

HIS

I need you on Twittah, rett about nah. There are some things we need 2 discuss… ( :waiting: ing 4 u on the safe side of the fence)

Gigi26 says:

I just know i’ll need to take a shank with me if I go to the Barclays Center :lol:

Milky says:

an hour and half until i can leave and get my weekend started.
      ________________________________________________________________

Back it up, drop it down, let me see you just
      Get low, scrub the ground, let me see you just
      Push it up, push it up, let me see you just

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Get in there, yeah, yeah

Get in there, yeah, yeah

Get in there, yeah, yeah

Get in there, yeah, yeah

Ay big girl, make ‘em back it up, yeah, make ‘em back it up

Ay big girl, make ‘em back it up, yeah, make ‘em back it up

Ay big girl, make ‘em back it up, yeah, make ‘em back it up

Ay big girl, make ‘em back it up, yeah, make ‘em back it up

I got ‘em shaking their boobies like congos

Man, I’m shaking the city like quakes

The haters blue in the face like gonzo

‘Cause I’m raking in cake, so let’s bake

I’m taking the game, the game’s mine

Y’all witness a change, it’s my time

Yeah, I’m new to the game but y’all might

Wanna save ya whack raps, daylight saving time

I could dance homie, I don’t two-step

Y’all looking at something like a true player

A girl told me that a man that could dance

Might could possibly get down with the tool in his pants

Now all my ladies let me see you vibrate

And when it’s over you ain’t gon’ need ya

‘Cause I’m a pro, make ya bend ya back low

Then just pound it real fast just like percolator

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble

Smonae80 says:

I luv me some Bey & J, but those uniforms is some cheap bullshait.

MsDivaRo says:

So I went to see this new dentist who by the way is Nigerian. He sees me filling out my new patient packet in the waiting area and tells me he needs to talk to me. He takes me back to a room and says you are MsDivaro. When I talked to you on the phone the other day I didn’t know you we’re African American. You sure didn’t sound like it all the while smiling and chit. He says I’m happy to help you with getting your tooth problem corrected. I know you are a professional and your schedule is hectic but ill work with you. Just let me know what you need. Now I’m wandering if he is going to give me a discount. I go back next Friday at 4. He usually don’t so late appts. but he will for me. Hmmmm he gonna put me under I hope he don’t take advantage of me.

choco they look like something bettlejuice would wear
      ___________________________
      BINGO!

@Razzle
      :lol: at leaving out the most important part

@SMONAE
      It is a NICE stadium I was like DAYUM…

Razzle Dazzle Boo says:

:danban1:
      Stacks on deck
      Patron’ on ice
      And we can pop bottles all night
      Baby you can have whatever you like (you like)
      I said you can have whatever you like (you like)
      Yeah
      Late night sex so wet you’re so tight
      I’ll gas up the jet for you tonight
      Baby you can go where ever you like (you like)
      I said you can go where ever you like (you like)
      Yeah
      :danban:

FTP_L@kEz*.* says:

A popular fifth-grade teacher fatally shot a masked teenager in self-defense outside his neighbor’s house during what appeared to be an attempted late-night burglary, then discovered the teen was his son, state police said.

Spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said Friday that police are trying to determine if the gun used by Jeffrey Giuliano, the father, was registered. It will be at least a week before the probe is done.

Tyler Giuliano, described as an easygoing 15-year-old who enjoyed flying small planes, was shot at about 1 a.m. Thursday in New Fairfield, a lake community of about 14,000 along the New York line just north of Danbury.

“It’s something out of a Hollywood script,” said First Selectman John Hodge, who doesn’t recall another killing in his eight years on the job. “You certainly don’t expect it to happen in your own small hometown where there’s very little crime.”

Jeffrey Giuliano’s sister, who was alone in the home, believed someone was breaking in and called Giuliano, who lives next door, state police said. Giuliano grabbed a gun and went outside to investigate, troopers said.

He confronted someone wearing a black ski mask and black clothing and then fired his gun when the person went at him with a shiny weapon in his hand, police said. They would not provide details about what kind of weapon it was.

When police officers arrived almost immediately after they were called, the teen was lying in the driveway of his aunt’s home with gunshot wounds and the father was sitting on the grass. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

A state trooper pulled back the ski mask to reveal that the victim was Tyler Giuliano, though it was unclear if Jeffrey Giuliano already knew that. It was also unclear if he was actually trying to burglarize the house or if it was some type of prank gone wrong.

“All in all it’s a tragedy,” Vance said.

Jeffrey Giuliano hasn’t returned a message seeking comment on what happened. Alicia Roy, superintendent of schools in New Fairfield, said Giuliano is a native of the town who offers summer music and zoology camps for his students and plays in a band that raises a lot of money for charity.

“”He wanted to teach in the community he grew up,” she said. “He connects with the students. He’s a caring person. Very interactive class.”

Tyler Giuliano was a student at New Fairfield High School, a short walk from the neighborhood where he was killed. Roy said he was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and was described as an easy-going young man who enjoyed spending time with his family. During a storm last year, he volunteered at a shelter set up the local high school, helping to serve meals and set up cots.

Roy said Tyler especially enjoyed flying gliders and single-engine planes out of Danbury airport.

“He would fly as many hours as possible,” she said.

No charges have been filed. An autopsy is planned.
      :cry: JUST DAM!

_________________________
      :yes: Did you see the movie Horrible Bosses with Aniston that chit is hilarious!

:argue: I have to go to the dentist before December

Razzle Dazzle Boo says:

———————-
      He seen you and said “oh look at dat sessy woman…she’s gonna be my new wife!”

@Lakes
      I read that and watch the news clip it is horrid – I can’t imagine what his parents are going thru but its so sad that the boy was breaking into a neighbors home the whole situation is horrid!

iscream says:

If all it took was to be a really cool rapper to get them to move a whole basketball team….. Then rap has really come a loooooonnngggg way.

As someone who grew up in the era of hip hop I’m happy to see this black man doing the damn thing. Congrats Jay. I’ll see you next Saturday for the grand closing.

FTP_L@kEz*.* says:

Choc :cry: Sad all the way around

@Lakes
      YEP – I really couldn’t believe what I read…

Keesh says:

@ Ms. Diva….Soooo what he trying to say “we” dont get our teeth looked at???
      I dont know Diva…I think he got plans for you boo….Oxygen and all

Xena68 says:

I wonder why he didn’t recognize his father maybe it was too dark to :no:

Mamacita says:

:shurg:

#petty

@Xena
      But why did he have something in his hand – if that’s was his aunt why is he breaking into her home? #WONDERS

Ms.Fashion says:

I think it would be best if it rests on his nose. Its larger. :coffee:

Xena68 says:

@ Choco yeah that story has too many holes in it

Keesh says:

Im getting drunk tonight…while at work. I dont ever get drunk and we serve liquour well tonight is the night, I show my azz

Keesh says:

Thats a sad story…Prank? I dont know about that one. He know his dad got a damn gun and will shoot it right?

@Keesh
      DONT DO IT do not drink liqour at company event :lol:

@XENA
      Yep cuz my first question was is he on drugs but from the write up it seems he doesn’t or wasn’t

@Fashion
      You talking about Jay Z

KayCeiSoul says:

So I went to see this new dentist who by the way is Nigerian.

******************************************

Ro, :popcorn: , you know y’all is married after that conversation right?
      You’ll wake up with a basket of fruit on your head after surgery.

Don’t worry. You’ll get to keep your current life. He has MANY WIIIIIIVES. :hug:

KayCeiSoul says:

DivaRo gone wake up after surgery lookin’ like them earrannngs from the other post. :rofl:

yallcrazy says:

I hope he doesn’t think he’s cool laying on the floor like that yo :rofl:

:lol: :lol:

iscream says:

*cues* :whistle: 7 Whole Days :whistle:

DAMN

:shrug: What are yall talking about :lol:

MsDiva bout to be Wife #27 (no offense)
      Fashion, putting it on his nose (he ain’t beaks)
      and Keesh :shrug: talmbout a gun or soemthin :rofl:

Xena68 says:

Does anybody on here do sips n strokes

Yeah why Xena… :tea:

MsDivaRo says:

Yall scaring the fugg outta me!!!! Dude dropped what he was doing though (he was with a patient) and was totally focused on me. I think I’mma take hubby wif me Friday.

Xena68 says:

So Sheree done landed her a role in Scream 5 :tea:

Keesh says:

@Choco….girl, I made a mistake and took a xantax one night after we had closed up. My husband stayed at home with the kids so I was running everthing. By the end of the night I was counting money next thing I know my hubby was coming through the door screaming at me!!! I took a whole bar (I thought I had grabbed my advil. I blanked out 5 minutes after taking that mess with money in my hands. Thank God for my security guards!!!!

MsDivaRo says:

Picked up my son from school and wow some of those 5th grade girls look like grown midgets. :shrugs:

MsDivaRo says:

:thumbsup: That’s your best bet! :yes: Them cats are territorial over others :rofl:

So maybe you pay full price BUT you still free :lol:

Xena68 says:

My bad Scary Movie 5 :oops:

Did I mention, that I lubbed the dentist’s Nigerian accent though? :kona:

Xena68 says:

So Sheree done landed her a role in Scream 5

say what :tea: ??????

I think you on something now :ashamed: #ikidikid

Did I mention, that I lubbed the dentist’s Nigerian accent though? :kona:

:chase:

Xena68 says:

some of my associates wanna go but I’m thinking it might be lame is it

Smonae80 says:

Choco that’s the only nice thing I could say, LOL
      J usually be on point but those uni’s & that photo threw me

MsDivaRo says:

That’s your best bet! Them cats are territorial over others

So maybe you pay full price BUT you still free
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      You right guhl, he trying to trick my azz!!!! I ain’t never come in contact with a Nigerian man eva in my life until today!

MsDivaRo says:

Did I mention, that I lubbed the dentist’s Nigerian accent though?

Ooooohhh, I can see your hubby now….Walking in that dentist office to kick Mr. juices and berries azz :karate: bout you! Dont go to the light Carolann

Ms.Fashion says:

@Fashion
      You talking about Jay Z

_________

____________________________
      Wait a minute :lol: why did your hubby come in screaming at you :rofl: WTF :rofl: you thought you grabbed your advil

I was just joshing yew Xena :ashamed:

@Fashion
      Damn I went back out to the front of the post and realized it :rofl:

MsDivaRo says:

Did I mention, that I lubbed the dentist’s Nigerian accent though?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I can still hear him talking and he said goodbye to me like 4 times!!! I’m definitely taking the hubby!

@Diva
      That mugg is creating a voo-doo doll of you right now :lol:

Smonae80 says:

MsDiva he gone put u under & blow your back out LOL.

MsDiva
      <–had a Nigerian back in the day.

They are real giving :tea:

MsDivaRo says:

Did I mention, that I lubbed the dentist’s Nigerian accent though?

Ooooohhh, I can see your hubby now….Walking in that dentist office to kick Mr. juices and berries azz bout you! Dont go to the light Carolann
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
      :dead:

BrownSuggaBabe says:

Im back from eatn my 6pc lemon pepper wangs..wuts going on?? *RECAP

I think you on something now #ikidikid

Lol…thanks, that would be nice to be on something but since I became an adult, life is not the same and drugs dont fit in…If i try to smoke weed I start crying…. and thats a good drug

Choco aka Hippie says:

@Diva
      That mugg is creating a voo-doo doll of you right now
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choco, hursh that madness!!!!! *screaming* nooooooooooooooo

hell_on_heels says:

Gigi26 says:

_________________________________________________________________________

Yep, they sure did make it to the finals (in either the LATE 90′s early 2000′s) which has in fact been about 10 plus years ago. No worries, the Detroit Piss…I mean Pistons are my “home town” team, so I feel your pain. Though I’ve never liked the Pistons, even in their so called “Bad Boy Days”.

Choco aka Hippie says:

@Fashion
      Damn I went back out to the front of the post and realized it :rofl:

I want in :waiting:

Xena68 says:

@ Brown tumbleweeds that is all :lol:

MsDiva
      <–had a Nigerian back in the day.

They are real giving

How was the sex?

Smonae80 says:

MsDiva he gone put u under & blow your back out LOL.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I’mma just go here :kona: with that being said

MsDiva
      <–had a Nigerian back in the day.

They are real giving

How was the sex?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      This bish done beat me to the ????? :waiting:

Xena68 says:

@ Diva you best watch his azz he trying to make you his love slave well one of :lol:

Eazy says:

Im talking to a Nigerian now, should I be scared. :thinking:

BrownSuggaBabe says:

@Xena I see, I see…

_________________________
      :lol: :lol:

@Sunni
      YOu want in :rofl: Bish do you know where in is :rofl: I was talking about Fashion when she said it should rest on his nose and then I happened to refresh and read the caption where it said rest

Xena68 says:

@ Diva you best watch his azz he trying to make you his love slave well one of
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dayum…..I’mma bouts to do a background check on his azz rhet now!!!!

Im leary of Nigerians and Jamaicans for some reason and I have never dated one!

Keesh says:

Wait a minute why did your hubby come in screaming at you WTF you thought you grabbed your advil

Because I was standing up sleep with money in my hand in a room full of employees (with my mouf wide open)…I had been having the xantax in my purse for a long time. Someone told me it would help me get some sleep. The next day I couldnt even remember what happened.

Choco aka Hippie says:

Im leary of Nigerians and Jamaicans for some reason and I have never dated one!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I know nothing about them and never known anyone that has dated or married one. Choco why do you feel this way for real though?

MsDiva
      <–had a Nigerian back in the day.

They are real giving

How was the sex?

:shrug: IONO Keesh, Imma Pimp :lol:

I see (re:96) :tea:

I think you on something now #ikidikid

Awww Keesh… MsDiva, hook her up a drinkie drinkie :wink:

He could dance though so :shrug: maybe he could Rock the Boat :shrug:

:thinking: I never felt it bulging though while we were boogying :danban:

BrownSuggaBabe says:

:newpost:

_____________________________
      GOT DEEEEEYYYYYAAAAMMMM WTF YO! Standing up sleeping with mouth open and hand full of money :rofl: The visualization has me in tears

@DVIA
      Cuz I think that they secretly resent American women and that they might do some mojo on me to make me act like the movie Serpeant and the Rainbow :lol: that movie fugged up everything for me for trinadadians, some jamaican, nigerians, africans I was like damn they do that to their own they wouldnt give any fuks about someone else

yallcrazy says:

That Naner is gettin’ it!

:rofl: Choco all because of a movie :hahaha:

Eazy says:

I never heard of that movie

Ms.Fashion says:

Choco aka Hippie says:

@Fashion
      Damn I went back out to the front of the post and realized it

I want in

JUST SLOW!! :lol:

Read the headline then read my comment. :lol:

My comment: I think it would be best if it rests on his nose. Its larger. :coffee:

@Easy
      :lol: That’s cuz your azz is a young whippa snappa

@Sunni
      Yes you know I can be weird at times :lol: Plus I was young when I saw it and I was very impressionable but the Cu de Graw was that effn movie was based on a true story

OHHHHH Zip it MsFashion, I was just messin’ with yall :lol:

Yall come back upstairs I am dying laughing….

Eazy says:

@choco I just looked it up and it was made the year I was born :lol:

:shotsfired: EZ :lol: