Pharrell Williams Responds to Backlash Over ‘G I R L’ Album Cover

Pharrell Williams

Mega-producer Pharrell Williams is feeling the heat for neglecting to feature a black woman on the cover of his new album, titled simply “G I R L”.

The cover features Williams, 40. posing with three women — 1 Caucasian, 1 Hispanic and 1 LSLH. All four are clad in bathrobes and dark sunglasses.

Williams, who recently married a mixed race woman, said, “The woman I’m standing closest to, she is black and she’s been a friend of mine for a long time.”

Williams responded to the backlash in an interview with another blog.

“They’re ill informed. The woman I’m standing closest to, she is black and she’s been a friend of mine for a long time. You know, I’m confused by it,” the Oscar-nominee admitted. “Then they’re going to ask me ‘do I not have an Indian woman on there or a Pakistani woman on there?’ But meanwhile, I do. She is African American and I feel sorry for her that people will look her dead in her face like ‘she ain’t black,’ but she is black. It’s a girl I use to date years ago.”

“It’s just unfortunate because it’s 2014 and we have a President [who’s black],” Williams continued to explain to the site. “Is this what it is? Is it because she’s not brown? I don’t feel funny about our President because he is what he is.”

“Meanwhile, has anybody forgotten that I’m black myself? I wake up everyday and I wave the black flag. Everything that I’m doing. You know, this ‘Happy’ song going #1. What is the guy that’s singing the song? What do you mean?”

117 Responses to “Pharrell Williams Responds to Backlash Over ‘G I R L’ Album Cover”

Just Looking says:

:popcorn:

goat76 says:

Ole girl in the back got some negro in her.

aRoTh says:

Which one is the hispanic and which one is the LSLH? :shrug:

goat76 says:

San ah make ya dance says:

But he the black girl
    ———————
    Cold-Blooded!!! *Chappelle’s Rick James voice*

Bad Influence says:

1st :rofl: @San he sho is!

and 2nd, i dont care about this but.. huh nigga? @ that explanation. aint his wife russian? well she has a hard like russian face :huh:

San ah make ya dance says:

But he the black girl

:ghost:

He said the girl in the very back is black and that he dated her years ago.

Chile I am not checking for no sweet booty Pharrell hunty the sprites can have him :nono: please !!

Why he couldn’t have all black gals :waiting: we come in diff colors

who’s really caring about this tho? :yawn:

Hey @His! :waves: :boobs:

:kona:

Bad Influence says:

the one in the front has a case of dry ass face. the 2nd one is serving btchs and the one in the back is clearly hungover.

i didnt plan on buying this cd tho. :coffee:

Pharrell picked the arm candy he likes :shrugs: sometimes we bytch way to hard bout the wrong folks …… :no:

goat76 says:

———————————
    She must be standing on the other side of him…

“Racism- involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.”

“Prejudice- an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.”

:shrug: Just throwing those out there… :kona:

Bad :happy: sounds about right :yes:

Bad Influence says:

hey Mic Check :boobs: :lol:

He made me so mad during the All Star shyt, performing w/ that lil a$$ jacket :mad:

goat76 says:

———————————
    She must be standing on the other side of him…

:hahaha: what ya say cause ninja I don’t see no 100% sista :huh: :rofl:

Bad Influence says:

GOAT! :ghost:

———–
    Now you already know :lol: They can’t have no peace

For some reason when I read this story earlier today I read it as if he was soft tone, singing the whole thing. :lol: Not in his normal speaking voice :

Matchsticks says:

much ado about NOTHING…so what a woman who is black and light skinned is not really black now??? smh…

sweet booty Pharrell hunty
    —————–
    :ghost:

San ah make ya dance says:

sweet booty Pharrell hunty
    —————–
    :ghost:

You know Pharell like a lil meat in his bun chile :gay: I think he one of the ones they was talking about being a top producer getting his back blown out.

Bad Influence says:

:hug: Jenie bew!

that’s a real incoherent sounding arse explanation though… and Pharrell is NOT an inarticulate fella :tea:

She must be standing on the other side of him…
    —————-
    THIS :hahaha:

69 says:

“I beg to differ. It is ignorant and racist to assume that people of mixed parentage are black. This is the type of backwards thinking that is reinforced by people who still believe in the archaic one drop rule.”
    ______________________________
    :ashamed:

I :cosign: this statement.

But you don’t want to say this in the wrong crowd. You think Paula Deen got drug… Sandra, Black America will have your ass running to Savannah to catch the next ship back to England. :kona:

You know Pharell like a lil meat in his bun chile :gay:
    ———–
    Where do you get this shyt from :ghost: I must use this, this week :rofl:

IsThisThingOn… :cool: Mic Check 1-2, 1-2 says:

:ghost:

WOW
    Everything about anything is an Outrage!
    SMDH
    :no:

:nana: HIZ! :kiss:

Razz I see that shyt. How is that racist :waiting:

69 :kiss: Bad how you doing bew :kiss:

Bad Influence says:

“Black America will have your ass running to Savannah to catch the next ship back to England.” :brokenheart: i can’t.

hey luv @69 :hug:

Just Looking says:

:waves: @ Luvn

Lenox 70 percent off :kona:

Bad Influence says:

i’m faboosh @Jenie! got wayyyyyyy too much shyt going on but im getting it done smh.. #superbish lol. how ju bew?

LuVnnnnnnnnn :love:

69 says:

HIS
    JENIE
    SAN
    DTTS
    LuvN
    ITTO

:lick:

:waves: 69 You passing out licks today :tea:

Just Looking says:

@Bad – Sent my regards, in post below :winky:

:nun: You better do that Bad !!!! I have been doing pretty well :danban: got food poisoned earlier this week ….. but chile I’m back :nun:

free says:

* envisioning SR photoshopped onto the LSLH chick *

Bad Influence says:

@Just, hey hunty :D how are u? :hug:

Bad Influence says:

:crying:

Just Looking says:

@Bad – Good! This winter been hard on a sista….Ready for Spring like the Tulips.

@Jenie – What and where did you eat :vomit: Glad you feel better.

got food poisoned earlier this week ….. but chile I’m back :nun:

Testify Jenie… “and still I rise” :nun:

zurishay says:

How does a newly married man have his ex girlfriend on his album cover??? Couldn’t be my man. smh

Chile idk how it’s racest… :rofl:

I’m still wondering too…

OpinionHated says:

Why does anyone care its his album cover…and come on how many black women would hump Pharrel – he don’t look like he can beat it up at all…..

Gigi26 says:

You think im finna be pissed off about Elmer Fudd’s album cover? Chile please fukk him and that cover :rollseyes:

That explanation was bullshyt and his ass being from VA I know what he already on…I come across niggas like him all the time..ole paperbag ass nigga!

On the last day of black history monf too, man we sure coming a loooong way. Him and his androgynous wife :rollseyes: Oh she black now too? Nigga please.

STARTRAK BYTCH!

IsThisThingOn… :cool: Mic Check 1-2, 1-2 says:

got food poisoned earlier this week ….. but chile I’m back :nun:
    Testify Jenie… “and still I rise”

:danban1:

:lol: @Free but unfortunately it ain’t photoshopped

I am about to sneak out this piece :steer:

Gigi26 says:

Own your shyt Pharell, that’s all we saying…own it. You don’t want black womens on the cover cool, say that shyt.

If you have a preference say that shyt homie. I’ll respect you more for what you stand for than what you try to backpeddle or defend yourself against.

Just sayin :tea:

ole paperbag ass nigga!

STARTRAK BYTCH!

turrets out dis bish! :rofl: :rofl:

Gigi, How you come talk all that shyt but deluding us w/ your gravie :ghost: Giving us Hey girl, at the same damn time :rofl:

zurishay- we don’t know what happened with them. hell she and his wife may be cool…he could have been doing her a solid and paid her.

I know folks who are friendly with ex and their current “situation” is secure. :tea:

Just Looking says:

@Jenie – What and where did you eat

:warning: Chile Red Damn Lobster in McDonnough GA. :nono: hunty :eek: chile I was :vomit: :cold: then fawking hot …… fevers head hurting….. weak as hell just a damn mess chile :phew: never again ….

I had the Lobster bake, had lobster tail, muscles, shrimp, scallops :nono: Linguine I will never eat there again

That “Say something I’m giving up on you” song… stuck in my head.

San ah make ya dance says:

:hahaha: :lolsign: :rofl:

BCinKS says:

We don’t buy his music so why do we care? :shrug:

:warning: Chile Red Damn Lobster in McDonnough GA
    _________________________

Lawd… :ghost:

:rofl: chile, GiGi gravie all innocent and that font :ghost:

Lawd, Jenie I’m so tickled at your right now… :hahaha: :phew:

(but i hope you reported your experience to the health dept/food inspector :tea: )

BCinKS says:

We don’t buy his music so why do we care?
    ————–
    Technically we do when we buy anything he produces :lol:

BUT…MOST of “us” download that shat for free

:facepalm: These ol low self esteem muthaphuckas just sit around all dayum day looking for something to stir up some bullchit bout!

I phuckin swear.

An ALBUM cover niggga? :huh:

Just Looking says:

Jenie Says: Nasti arse Red Damn Lobster in McDonnough GA. :nono: :eek: chile I was :vomit:

_________
    haven’t eaten there in 5 years…. :nono: They last time I was there I got filled up on liquor, biscuits and salad. :nun: Lobster than INexpensive, don’t trust.

Just like the $1.00 pregnancy test DTTS made me buy. Too good to be true. :tea:

Glad you betta though. :hug:

PPS – Do they still have them garlic butter biscuits?

Gigi26 says:

:rofl: San I have to come and give a lil titty shimmy one time for the paperbag niggas :lol:

:rofl: chile, GiGi gravie all innocent and that font :ghost:
    ———–
    Right! :rofl:
    :kiss: Jenie :bye:

—————
    :fistpump: Keep it up, you be slaying me, then I look to the side and :ghost:

IsThisThingOn… :cool: Mic Check 1-2, 1-2 says:

Lawd, Jenie I’m so tickled at your right now… :hahaha: :phew:

Nah I didn’t :no: I just said fugg that :no: I gave ya’ll the warning…. hell folks eat there at ya own risk…… they don’t ever gotta worry bout me eating at a red lobster again chile…… I will stick with Pappa Deaux….

Matchsticks says:

…so what a woman who is black and light skinned is not really black now??? smh…

You haven’t been a member of this blog for very long, have you?

Just like the $1.00 pregnancy test DTTS made me buy. Too good to be true. :tea:
    ————

On Break Baby says:

You beg to differ when it’s convenient and reinforcing your agenda. I directly asked you what race was Tinys mother, you said she was White but that she is one of us. The no drop rule I suppose. If your theory is correct, then your friend Tiny is def not Black, for to me, she looks more Caucasian than anything, therefore she is. Anyway, I agree. Pharell could have done better. Its got to be hard to find beauty in ones self when the masses are constantly telling you whether indirectly or not, that you are not. I feel the same about being Black in general. Im constantly belittled, berated, and bashed on this very blog. As a Black man, I’ve done mostly everything right. Yet, Im not Black for I have a few drops of Caucasian blood in me, Im an idiot for I support the president and other liberal views. Im on the down low, or might be, so Black women should beware. Im not fulfilling Gods prophecy for the only thing receiving my seeds is a hand towel. I mean damn. The fact that I haven’t ended my useless existence is baffling :shrugs:

Just Looking says:

It was all logical until :kona:

:ghost:

On Break Baby says:

73.I’m out guys !

by jeniefrumdabloc on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Bye Ashy :bye:

Matchsticks says:

Matchsticks says:

…so what a woman who is black and light skinned is not really black now??? smh…

You haven’t been a member of this blog for very long, have you?

:lol: longer than you think…but I digress…

goat76 says:

Bad Influence says:

GOAT! :ghost:
    ———————————
    Hey Bad :hi:

careful with that hand towel Bren :no: (you’ll be on the blog trying to explain why you not willing to pay for a ‘hand towel baby’ – they thirsty out here)

Matchsticks says:

…so what a woman who is black and light skinned is not really black now??? smh…

You haven’t been a member of this blog for very long, have you?
    ——–
    I must not be black then….even though my birth cert, lab work, bone structure, hair, bell pepper ass nose, soup coolers, cheek bones, freckles/moles, thick ass and legs all say/point to otherwise.

I must be the American Indian, Puerto Rican, White, Creole, that’s in my blood. Yep. Any one of those would do. Yep. :tea:

On Break Baby says:

hand towel baby’

:rofl: I literally yellped :rofl:

Razz you got freckles too :crying1: Seem like the older I get the more I get and I’m a nice brown hue :lol:

On Break Baby says:

hand towel baby

First cousin of the test tube baby :rofl:

goat76 says:

I love freckles.

i thought test tube’s 1st cousin was turkey baster :think:

I love freckles
    —————-
    :winky: Wait. Where DivaRo at :kona:

On Break Baby says:

Shut up :rofl:

@San YES GIRL! They run all up and through my blood line. :rolleyes: And that’s exactly how they develop. The older we get, the more we get, to include moles. Hanging moles too. :lol:

I discovered a mole just short of my shoulder… well mr. did anyway.. :ashamed:

*looks around for Diva*

Freckles are a beautiful thang!

On Break Baby says:

discovered a mole just short of my shoulder… well mr. did anyway

Oooooh you just gave me a great idea for a name change :fistbump:

capricorn83 says:

The main ones manufacturing this album cover crisis…weren’t going to buy the album anyway. So why are they pressed?? :tea:

goat76 says:

San ah make ya dance says:

I love freckles
    —————-
    :winky: Wait. Where DivaRo at
    —————————
    We just praying!!

I discovered a mole just short of my shoulder… well mr. did anyway.. :ashamed:
    ——————
    :rofl: Hanging moles. Mines are right on my cheeks, I looked one day and was like :wtf: these come from

On Break Baby says:

discovered a mole just short of my shoulder… well mr. did anyway

Oooooh you just gave me a great idea for a name change
    ———-
    Oh GAWD :facepalm:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase!

:pray: :pray:

Why my cuz (Whom I hadn’t seen in awhile) had a skin tag on his forehead and the first thing I do is try and take it off, thinking its something else :facepalm: He did the matrix on me

We just praying!!
    ———–

Bye now, my journey has ended today :bye:

capricorn83 says:

I agree. This is another label-manufactured stunt to sell records. :coffee:

Afiya says:

Why you defending it :huh: You did what you wanted…OWN IT!!! :rolleyes:

Lady_L says:

Gigi26 says:

On the last day of black history monf too, man we sure coming a loooong way. Him and his androgynous wife Oh she black now too? Nigga please.

STARTRAK BYTCH!

————————
    LMFAO!!!!

:thinking: Are you saying that someone who has one black parent and one white parent.. that they are not black?