Cops: Dad Knew Toddler Was in Hot Car

Cooper Harris Justin Ross Harris

Hours before a 22-month-old boy was found dead in a hot car, his father stopped for breakfast on his way to work, police say.

Justin Ross Harris, 33, of Marietta, was arrested Wednesday, June 18, and charged with murder and cruelty to children in the second degree, according to an updated arrest warrant obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Justin Harris told investigators he forgot to drop his son, Cooper Mills Harris, at daycare on Wednesday.

Ross Harris told police he drove to work at the Home Depot corporate office in Cobb County. He said he forgot the child was still in his carseat when he parked the SUV and went to work.

Harris told police he returned to the car around lunch time to place something in the car. Then he re-entered his work place.

“During lunch said accused did access the same vehicle through the driver’s side door to place an object into the vehicle,” the warrant states. “Said accused then closed the door and left the car, re-entering his place of business.”

Around 4:16 p.m., Harris told police he left work, and as he was driving away he noticed Cooper was still in his carseat. He said he drove to an Akers Mill Road shopping center and asked passersby for assistance. Cooper was unresponsive when Ross Harris took him out of the SUV and laid him on the pavement.

Police say inconsistencies in Ross Harris’ story changed the course of the investigation in what was initially thought to be an accidental death.

Police believe Ross Harris knew Cooper was in the hot car. The warrant states he neglected to mention that he and his son stopped for breakfast at Chick-fil-A before he drove to work that morning.

“This is a very active, very fluid investigation,” Officer Mike Bowman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday. “Our detectives have worked tirelessly to resolve the leads in this case. They are doing due diligence.”

Ross Harris is being held without bond in the Cobb County jail. Sympathizers have contributed over $20,000 to a gofundme.com in Ross Harris’ name.

“We know this is an emotional case,” Bowman said. “We know it’s weighing on heart strings.”

Cooper’s mother, Leanna Harris, has declined requests for a comment, according to the AJC.

Cooper’s funeral will be held Saturday at the University Church of Christ in Tuscaloosa, according to an online obituary. A private family burial is planned.

77 Responses to “Cops: Dad Knew Toddler Was in Hot Car”

STONE HIM!
    then tar and feather his ass

Beta says:

OMG why do people forget I know your mind wanders but dam RIP little one

VDot says:

:( :( Poor baby

Beta says:

Fukking bastard

VDot says:

Up there looking like Louie Anderson :box:

spongebobfan says:

the parents that do this, accident or not, deserves punishment at the fullest extent of law. the “oh he has to live everyday knowing he did this is punishment enough” just wont fly. regardless of the horrible circumstance, he needs to be charged with murder

The Pearl! says:

Beta, I think when people HONESTLY forget, it’s because the routine changed that day (is what they say). I can’t imagine how you could face your spouse after something like that.

But this bastid here!!!

Miany says:

This hurts to read. I can’t believe folk do this intentionally. Auntie please can we get a new post :crying: I’m posses off cuz I can’t really believe he left that baby in there to die. On purpose. The week after Father’s Day at that. Smsh… If u don’t want ur kid drop em to the firehouse. Don’t kill the poor child

Milky says:

This ninja knew that baby was in the car. So you mean to tell me that you drove to get breakfast and then to work and that chile didnt say not one peep? Also you went back to the car and still didnt notice the baby in the carseat and the chile still didnt say a peep!!!

“FOH”

Jdore says:

I was wondering what was going to happen to him cause folks were saying not to lock him up cause he suffered enough! I was like wtf??? Just forget that the child suffered :mad:

Miany says:

Pearl I agree. It must be hell to tell the other parent that their child is dead due to pure neglect and slip of memory…..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And belee me you WILL notice an extra FIFTY dollars on your Chick Fil A tab. Which reminds you that you aint eat there alone. With their HIGH priced self.

SellieBaby says:

Thank God for angels back in the day because I remember when the adults of my family would leave us in hot cars while they shopped (like mall shopping, not running in Stop n Shop to get some milk)…we looked like slaves by the time they returned.
    I got a friend whose husband did this to her three kids this year (all under 4 one 7 months old). He went in for a job interview and left the kids in the car…me and several others were off that day and could’ve watched those kids; there would’ve been no excuse if something like this would’ve happened.

*Slow runs threw the Rose Garden to @Miany*

:hug: + :2dance:

Miany says:

Oh milky for sure he knew. All those stops and returning to the car is what proved to officers he knew. Initially it was believed to be accidental. They are investigating the hell outta this and will get to the bottom I’m sure. Watch them find video evidence that proves he looked in the backseat on the way to work.

SummerBaby says:

:no:

Pretty Brown Eyes says:

For the life of me I don’t get how people be talking about they forgot their baby. I mean I have forgotten a lot of things in my day but I have never once forgotten my child. I don’t understand how you forget a whole person! I don’t care how much your mind wanders, if your brain that jacked up maybe you shouldn’t be having kids. #Sideeffectsofdrugs

I agree. This bastard need the death penalty. COOKED his daggone baby to death in the hot Atlanta heat. God bless that baby soul. :pray:

Torae says:

It’s amazing how white people react when other white people do heinous crimes and makes it look like an accident. All of these sympathizers are willing to send this idiot money and thinks he “suffered” enough….foh! Accident or not as a parent IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE RESPONSIBLE! and if your child dies because of your irresponsibility then you need to be held accountable. Had this been a black parent they would get backlash and called all types of unfit and no one would fight to send them a penny…. America is crazy….

User Friendly says:

:think: ppl sure do come up with a whole lot of money when they want to.

I know I have gotten half way to work a million times with my daughter’s bookbag still on my back. going to work, thinking im stuntin on em, just a switching with a big pink minnie mouse backpack on :ashamed:

Miany says:

:hug: who dat. I’ve missed the roses. Gotta get me a new job I can sit at. Neglect the tasks all day n shoot shiii with y’all then snap Back to reality and do all my work 30 minutes before end of shift… :lol:

bama_n_jersey says:

So the baby ain’t make not one dang noise to let you know he was in the car???? I really can’t stand people sometimes……

I have no clue why folks was trying to get this azz out of jail :rolleyes: had this been any other person, it would have been an open shut case…. I swear they treat these sprites different down here….. how can you forget your child is in the damn car anyways :shrugs: murderer :rules:

User Friendly says:

of all the ways to kill a child, I cant imagine anyone would choose this. at least, I hope not :smh: unless he was on some cruel punishment type ish.

Just Looking says:

This DUDE… :facepalm: Yeah, this is issue with dads dropping the infants and toddlers off. :sad:

This happened near me a couple of years back, in Herndon, VA

The man said he forget. They didn’t charge him, the prosecutor said, that alone was a life sentence.

:offtopic: Micheal Jackson – Off the Wall

Momma I made it!!! says:

:crying: I hope he really did forget…and this gofundme website do you get a refund if he says he did it purposely???

Torae says:

:thankyou: you should have seen all the excuses they were trying to make for this slop :no: but had this been one of us …. :tea:

Miany says:

Looking… Dude near u prob did forget. Lord that is a life sentence.
    Torae u ain’t lying….sprite folk support each other cuz they don’t like to believe their own kind can be monsters…. Monsters only come in black…duh!!!!

Momma I made it!!! says:

————————————
    My mom and aunt was just talking about this cause theres seven of them and wasnt nobody taking seven kids into the mall!!!

iscream says:

What’s the motive? I still don’t want to believe this wasn’t an horrible accident :(

I wonder if this happens as often in countries where people live to work as opposed to working to live. It needs to be mandated that day cares contact parents if kids are absent without notice.

Such a horrible way to die… I pray for his mama she lost her baby and her husband. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Have a good Day one and all.

NOLA says:

The daycare was located at his job site. So his normal routine would be to take the baby with him when he went into the building. He took the baby out of the car at CFA and then put him back in and drove to work. He even went back to the car at lunch. It just does not add up to an accident. People kill their kids all the time for sympathy. Sad case

:nun: Caged bird singing :wail: puppylove says:

Ok so supporters have donated 20k to this ass whom murdered his child and that’s ok. But putting a lil change on Jeremy Meeks books so he can get som Oodles of Noodles is wrong.

don’t be surprised this piece of shyt gets off :tea:

Just Looking says:

Momma I made it!!! says:

————————————
    Umm yeah, we be done lost 5 pounds in that bish….

Then they bring you bag a hot arse pepsi :rofl:

Momma I made it!!! says:

—————————————————–

Like all the racist comments I seen after that lady left her kids in the car to go on the interview!!! SMDH

No excuse for this shyt whatsoever :tea: no excuse

bama_n_jersey says:

@iscream…the school where my daughter goes will call in a heartbeat if she does not show up without prior notice.

:stop: So, this is part of his normal routine? The daycare is at his job???

Sad part is most of these people turn right around and have another kid. I am like :wtf: Once you intentionally kill your kid AND admit it you should be sterilized

Just Looking says:

Ironically, it’s been few blacks that have left children in the car….

Daycare is expensive, we be fussing the whole way there, we don’t forget…we got to get them suckas out the car as soon as possibe. :kona:

ricanlbc says:

His sloppy a** didn’t forget to go thru the DRIVE THRU THO! THE most normal looking people, tend to be the sickest! You never know wth someone is thinking or plotting. Who can u trust these days?!! Bring his ass to Rikers in NYC. My prisoners would love for him to be there chick.

VDot says:

Where is the justice?! :mad:

:welcome: <—- Really says Free J. Meek Meek!!!!

User Friendly says:

SellieBaby says:

:rolleyes: ppl always say that after the fact but act like a stank bitch when you ask them to watch your kids.

not you per se, but A LOT of folx. will talk about you like a dog knowing full well they would have gave you hell if you had asked for help.

trust me, I know.

Bliss says:

That is such an adorable baby. He’s in a better place now. God bless his soul. And to the scum bag of a father, may he rot in hell for eternity.
    :brokenheart:

:nun: Caged bird singing :wail: puppylove says:

How did he go to his car and not see his child. And if he works at Home Depot no one saw the baby in the car? If it would have been a dog they would have busted the window out.

Beta says:

Once you intentionally kill your kid AND admit it you should be sterilized

:yes:

Micheal Jackson – Off the Wall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What about it hunny? We listening to it? :2dance:

Ohh my sugah…Yew got me werkin DAY AND NIGHT! :danban:

Milky says:

“FOH”
    Never mind that, what person with a child carseat don’t even glance at the seat entering the car or leaving :shrugs: who ????? I’ll wait… for me that the first thing I look at …. the carseat is powdowwwwww !!!! :shrugs: I knew dude was fool of shyt from the jump, and folks saying it could happen :stop: with the bullshyt…. I can even see possibly leaving them in the store (if the child is a walker-roamer) but in the damn car :nono:

The Pearl! says:

When this type of thing is really an accident, it’s usually the father who is transporting the child that day (not the normal routine); then add the distraction of cell phones with emails, texts and calls. You get caught up on a work related phone call, lock up the car and go into work like normal. But at SOME point just a few minutes into your day, don’t you REMEMBER and run to get your damned baby? My God!

Momma I made it!!! says:

Groove, Let The Madness In The Music Get To You
    Life Ain’t So Bad At All
    If You Live It Off The Wall
    Life Ain’t So Bad At All Live Life Off The Wall
    Live Your Life Off The Wall Live It Off The Wall

:danban:

I forgot my baby once. And truth be told it wasn’t all MY fault. 19 yo daddy used to pick her up from the daycare on Friday. And EVERY Friday I would CALL him and say: :cell: don’t forget the baby. And he would ALWAYS be salty with you don’t have to call me and remind me :sarcasm: The ONE Friday I aint call…he calls ME and states he forgot the baby and is WAY ‘cross town. He aint gonna make it to the daycare by 6 p.m. It was literally 5:50 p.m. :steer: <<< my young azz in Friday rush hour traffic.

User Friendly says:

:nun: Caged bird singing :wail: puppylove says:

:facepalm: you know nerds everywhere are mad as hell with us over Meek Meek :cuss:

:nun: Caged bird singing :wail: puppylove says:

On the Mike topic:Anyone else think Diana from “Dirty Diana” may have been one of Hank Basket’s “chicks”?

Unshakable says:

@Auntie Sandrita,

I agree with previous posters. This is so depressing….can we get another post puh-leeze? And can it be about something funny?

Momma I made it!!! says:

If it would have been a dog they would have busted the window out.

———————————-

:cosign: Peta wouldve had a riot outside 20 mins later!!!!

The Pearl! says:

@puppylove, he worked at the HD corporate offices

@DUBB – Today his Mr. MIKE’s 5th Anniversary of his Untimely Demise
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Shole is aint it? I read earlier in the week it was today and done forgot that fast. That whole ALBUM (Off Da Wall) is the shiznit. With “Day and Night” being my fave song off it.

Keys says:

How to do you forget your child in the car if u take him to daycare at your job everyday? It’s part of your daily routine…wtf and then to go back to your car numerous times, wtf u didn’t look in the backseat and the baby didn’t make a sound. Smh this is terrible

:nun: Caged bird singing :wail: puppylove says:

@Pearl oh, I ain’t read that part :kona:

VDot says:

:phew: :newpost: Kang Bey!

wtf u didn’t look in the backseat and the baby didn’t make a sound
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    WATCH they gonna determine the baby was already deceased when he returned to the car. WATCH.

VDot says:

:huh:

User Friendly says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Never mind that, what person with a child carseat don’t even glance at the seat entering the car or leaving who ?????

girl I check the whole car before I get in just in case a KILLER is in there :bite:

swiper no swiping :nono:

Momma I made it!!! says:

swiper no swiping :nono:

=========================================

:rofl: yup no killers or no animals and bugs from leaving the windows cracked and sunroof open!!!!

MsGorgeous says:

I dont know about other parents but im so use to my baby being in the car with me that even when i drop him off to school i still be thinking he in the backseat. so for him to say he forgot is unexcusable!!

OpinionHated says:

That poor baby suffered – first the salt poisoning lady now this sh*t – why folks stay having babies if they just want to murder them… why can’t they just kill themselves…

I bet his azz didn’t forget to eat though fat lard azz….

mrs_warren_08 says:

There is no way humanly possible to forget a child in a damn car. I never believe these folks when they do this

Smokie says:

My “baby” is 18 years old now, but I clearly remember those years when he was a baby/toddler. I would drop him off at daycare and still feel like he was in the car with me on the way to work. I’d always, always, always look in the backseat of my car before I got out of it. Actually, no matter where I went, I’d do a backseat check just because my baby was always with me. There was no getting out of the car and not looking in the back seat. I was paranoid about that. Thank God.

SoNastyandSoRude says:

I don’t even have kids but everytime i go to my car i always look in the backseat … you don’t enter your car backwards so the backseat is in your peripheral… manslaughter..

SoNastyandSoRude says:

I would say first degree murder but judges in Ga like making up their own rules

SoNastyandSoRude says:

probably found out it wasn’t his

lisarenee says:

I knew he was lying from the jump…what 2 year old u know sleep that early in the morning? they won’t take a nap til noon!! This really sickened me..that poor baby had to suffer terribly! a bastard..I’m sure the mom is someone heavily sedated..smh

1nicolegrace says:

Rest In Love little angel! Rest In Love!!