The White House has issued a recommendation that all citizens wear face masks while in public. The recommendations are not a requirement -- for now.
During a White House press briefing on Thursday, President Donald Trump stressed that face masks are not mandatory, because some people don’t want to wear them.
"I think they're going to be coming out with, uh, regulations on that... frankly, I don't think they'll be mandatory because some people don't wanna do that."
The World Health Organization and Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams advised against wearing face masks in public because the masks will lead to more infections since people don't know how to wear them properly.
The CDC offers the following tips to avoid spreading the flu or Covid-19 virus:
1. Do not touch your face with unwashed hands
2. Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds
3. Avoid close contact with sick people
4. Sneeze and cough into a tissue or your elbow
5. Stay home if you are sick
5. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
6. When in doubt consult with a healthcare professional