Photo may have been deleted

Memphis PD, Getty Images

The man accused of killing Memphis rap legend Young Dolph received a 5-year sentence for shooting 3 people in 2017.

Dolph, real name Adolph Thornton (below right), was gunned down by two men inside a Memphis cookie shop on Nov. 17.

Photo may have been deleted

Instagram

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Marshals Service identified 23-year-old Justin Johnson (pictured with Dolph) as one of the killers on Wednesday. A $15,000 reward is being offered for his capture.
 
RELATED: Police Identify Suspect in Young Dolph Murder Case
 
Johnson was out on the streets because the liberal judge who sentenced him in 2017 felt sorry for him.

Shelby County Judge Christopher Craft said he remembered the then-teenager when a reporter reached out to him for comment.

"The first time he used a gun, we gave him some slack because of him immediately cooperating and doing everything," said Judge Craft.

The first time Johnson used a gun, he attempted to murder three people after a fight at a bowling alley.

According to court records, Johnson immediately pleaded guilty to the shooting spree at the Billy Hardwick Bowling Alley, ABC 24 reported.

"He had no record. He got in a fight with some people at a bowling alley, and they were all mad at each other. He went out to his car and got a gun and came back in and started shooting. He fired a bunch of shots and a man was hit in the arm and a lady was hit in the leg and another person was grazed," said Craft.

Photo may have been deleted

Instagram

Though there were signs that Johnson was a hardened criminal, Judge Craft was "impressed" with the lad.

"He immediately admitted to his charges and said 'you don't need to indict me. I'll agree to my charges'," said Craft. "Because he had no record, he was a range one offender, which is 3 to 6 years. Because there were three victims, he pleaded guilty was sentenced to five years in prison."

Craft spared the youthful offender by not giving him the maximum 6 years for attempting to kill 3 people. Judge Craft followed Johnson's progress in jail. He observed that the teenager had "an exemplary record and no write-ups" behind bars.

He said Johnson "went above and beyond what he was expected to do" and he released Johnson after serving just six months of his 5-year sentence.

Photo may have been deleted

Instagram

A few months later, Johnson was arrested again on drugs and gun possession charges, which meant he violated his probation and faced a federal charge.

"We were very disappointed with that because he was such an impressive young man," said Craft.

"What we did was we ran our five-year sentence concurrent with his federal, and he went off to federal prison," said Craft. "He went off to prison, and the next I heard of him was when he was on the news as a suspect."

Johnson was released from prison in less than 5 years.

Critics are outraged over Johnson's lenient sentence and the liberal judge who put a lawless criminal back on the streets.

"A lot of times the toughest thing I have to decide is should I give this man another chance or should he go off to prison," said Craft. "When we make decisions about whether or not to give another chance, there are going to be a few people we give another chance and they fail. But there are going to be thousands of people we give another chance to and it changes their life, and they never come back."

Memphis officials honored Dolph's legacy by renaming a street after him in Castalia Heights last month.

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube

A Colorado truck driver's 110-year prison sentence was reduced by Colorado Governor Jared Polis to just 10 years after socialite Kim Kardashian and 5 million others pleaded for clemency.

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos claimed his brakes failed when his semi-trailer truck barreled down a mountain on Interstate 70 near Lakewood, Colorado on April 25, 2019.

Aguilera-Mederos lost control and crashed, causing a 28-car pileup that killed four Colorado residents ranging in age from 24 to 69.

Aguilera-Mederos was arrested and charged with 4 counts of vehicular homicide.

Investigators say he burned out his semi-trailer truck's brakes racing down the mountain and bypassed multiple runaway truck ramps designed to prevent the tragedy that would occur.

Prosecutors say Aguilera-Mederos thought only of saving himself when he plowed into the vehicles.

On Oct. 25, 2021 Aguilera-Mederos was sentenced to 110 years in prison under the state's mandatory statutory minimum law. The judge said his hands were tied when handing down the stiff sentence.

But public outcry from truckers, Kim Kardasian, and 5 million signatures on an online petition convinced the governor to reduce Aguilera-Mederos's life sentence.

Governor Polis commuted the 110-year prison sentence to ten years on Thursday, prompting Aguilera-Mederos to break down sobbing in open court.
 


 

Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Former Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta cast member Maurice "Mo" Fayne was sentenced to 17 years in prison for defrauding the federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).

According to TMZ, Fayne was sentenced Wednesday to 210 months in prison (17.5 years) after pleading guilty to 6 counts of bank and wire fraud.

Fayne agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors in exchange for dropping 14 other charges.

Federal prison time means Fayne will serve his full sentence.
 
READ ALSO: Mo Fayne Paid $5 Million to Casino to Cover Gambling Debts
 
After he's released from prison in 17 years, Fayne will serve 5 years of supervised release. He is also ordered to pay over $4.4 million in restitution.

Fayne was arrested on May 11, 2020 and charged with defrauding the federal Paycheck Protection Program for over $3 million.

Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Fayne, who previously dated reality star Karlie Redd, reportedly applied for the funds for a trucking company that never turned a profit. He told the bank he needed the cash to pay 120 employees.

Prosecutors say Fayne spent over $2 million in coronavirus relief funds on jewelry, a Rolex wristwatch, cars, and child support payments.

Federal agents served a search warrant on Fayne's Dacula home where they recovered $80,000 in cash, including $9,400 that Fayne had in his pockets. Feds seized a 2019 Rolls Royce Wraith with the dealer tag still on it.

In addition to bank fraud, Fayne was charged with running a six-year Ponzi scheme and defrauding 20 investors to cover large gambling debts, prosecutors said.

"Fayne used the investors' money to pay his personal debts and expenses, and to fund an extravagant lifestyle for himself," prosecutors said in a statement.

Photo may have been deleted

Hennepin County Jail

Black Twitter reacted after a Minnesota judge sentenced former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin to 22.5 years in prison for the death of George Floyd.

Floyd, 46, died on May 25, 2020 from cardiac arrest due to neck compression after Chauvin kneeled on his neck for 9.5 minutes.

Derek Chauvin, 45, was convicted on second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in April.

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube

On Friday, June 25, Judge Peter Cahill sentenced Chauvin to 12.5 years, plus an addition 10 years for abusing "his position of authority as a police officer, and did it in front of children."

Federal civil rights charges are still pending against Chauvin. Those charges carry their own penalties if he is convicted.

The city of Minneapolis settled a wrongful death lawsuit with Floyd's family for $27 million.

Not everyone was satisfied with the sentence on Friday. Many said Chauvin didn't receive enough time in prison.

Former ESPN journalist Jemele Hill, 45, tweeted:

"If you're wondering if Derek Chauvin's sentence is fair, Chauvin will be 60 years old when he's released from prison after serving 15 years of his 22 1/2-year sentence. George Floyd was murdered by Chauvin when he was 46. Floyd can never resume his life. Chauvin can."


 

David Becker/WireImage

Rapper Mally Mall was sentenced to nearly three years behind bars after pleading guilty to running an illegal prostitution ring in Nevada.

The Love & Hip-Hop: Hollywood star, who pleaded guilty in October 2019, will serve 33 months behind bars for running the prostitution business over 12 years - from April 2002 to September 2014.

Mall, real name Jamal Rashid, was originally set to be sentenced in January 2000, but the Covid outbreak delayed his sentencing.

David Becker/WireImage

Rashid is pictured with LHHH cast member Nikki Mudarris in a photo dated Feb. 21, 2015.

Federal prosecutors in Nevada say the 44-year-old rap producer owned several prostitution rings disguised as escort services in Clark County.

He used paid websites "to advertise the victims for prostitution purposes," the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Nevada said in a statement.

Prosecutors say he manipulated and "exploited hundreds of female victims, imposing rules and threatening them so that they would prostitute for him".

Rashid also "encouraged victims to get tattoos of him to demonstrate their loyalty, and led many of them to believe he would advance their careers in show business", prosecutors said.

Photo may have been deleted

Cobb Sheriff

A Georgia man will spend the next 20 years in prison for setting fire to a woman's home after she rejected his advances.

Jerel Jay Wilson, 29, of Union City, was found guilty Monday of arson in the first-degree, arson in the second=degree, and simple battery.

Prosecutors say Wilson broke into a woman's apartment on September 11, 2018, set fire to her bedroom and physically attacked her for reacting his advances.

Several weeks later, he attacked her again in a hotel parking lot and set fire to her car.

Assistant District Attorney Jared Horowitz said Wilson's "jealousy and rejection left a path of destruction."

Horowitz said the victim was "tormented by this defendant," and he thanked the jury for their "service during a pandemic and for delivering justice to this woman."

He added: "This verdict sends a message that this kind of dangerous behavior will not be tolerated in Cobb County."

Wilson will receive counseling behind bars to help him resolve his poor impulse control and anger issues before being released back into society.

Photo may have been deleted

News4Jax

A Florida judge sentenced a teenager to 25 years in prison for fatally shooting a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office K-9 dog, and other charges.

Jhamal Paskel, 19, previously pleaded guilty to felony charges including killing a police dog, armed carjacking and two counts of kidnapping,

Black Twitter expressed outrage that a Black teenager received prison time for shooting a dog, while Breonna Taylor's killers still walk free.

According to News4Jax, Paskel carjacked two women on Sept. 20, 2018, and forced one of them to drive as he held her at gunpoint.

The car was equipped with an OnStar system, and police tracked the vehicle to Interstate 10 near Cecil Commerce Parkway.

Paskel bailed out of the car and fled on foot with K-9 Fang in hot pursuit. Officers heard three gunshots and K-9 Fang yelped before collapsing on the ground.

"I heard two gunshots back to back followed by a third. In between two and three, I heard Fang yelp, and soon as I came over the embankment, I kind of saw him coming to rest after falling and being shot," the dog's handler Officer Matt Herrera told News4Jax.

According to News4Jax, the Florida Legislature passed a law in 2019 to increase killing a police dog or horse to a second-degree felony and raised the maximum sentence from five years to 15 years.
 

Photo may have been deleted

A Michigan teenager who fatally stabbed a high school classmate during an argument over a boy was sentenced to 27 years in prison.

Tanaya Lewis, 19, pleaded no contest last month to first-degree premeditated murder in the September 2018 stabbing death of 16-year-old Danyna Gibson.

Gibson was stabbed multiple times in the chest and back by Lewis, who brought a steak knife to Fitzgerald High School in Warren, Michigan, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Lewis chased Gibson around a classroom and stabbed her numerous times in front of horrified students and a teacher.

Lewis, who was then 17, said she still has nightmares about attacking Gibson during a fight over her ex-boyfriend.

"If could take it back, I would," Lewis said during Wednesday's hearing. "I accept the punishment ... and I know no amount of apologies will take it back ... and I'm so, so sorry. I just hope one day, you'll be [able to] forgive me."

Lewis will be eligible for parole after 25 years due to credit for time served.

Gibson's aunt, Christina Ford, read a statement via video on behalf of the victim's mother. She said there's "really no words" to explain the pain caused by losing a child to violence.

"I mourn the loss of my baby every day," the statement read. "Times does not heal. It is more of a punishment because the more time that passes the more I realize I will never see my baby again."

"You took a life that was so beautiful," the statement continued. "All I ask is that the Lord have mercy on your soul."

The aunt said she didn't think the family would be able to forgive Lewis.

"She gets a chance to get out and have whatever life she has left. Yeah, it's going to be hard for her to get a job because she's a felon. So what? She still gets to see her people. She still gets to have kids, she still gets to get married, she still gets to do all that. My niece doesn't."

Gibson, a straight-A student, was studying to be a computer engineer and was already learning how to build robots, her father said.

"I feel like I was robbed by the system," Preston Gibson said. "I feel like I was robbed by her mother and I feel like I was robbed by a teenager. Although my baby's not here, I'm still paying child support. My baby's dead and I don't get no justice for it. This is how I feel. Everybody who played a part in her death... f*** y'all."

Paul Marotta/Getty Images

Actress Lori Loughlin has been sentenced to serve two months behind bars for bribing officials to get her privileged daughters into college.

The former Full House star and her husband, designer Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded guilty to paying $500,000 to help their kids get into the University of Southern California as fake athletes as part of a major college admissions scandal.

Paul Marotta/Getty Images

Hours before Lori received her sentence, her husband Giannulli was also sentenced to serve five months behind bars at a hearing in Boston, Massachusetts on Friday.

Loughlin was also ordered to pay a $150,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service.

Giannulli, the founder of the Mossimo clothing brand, will pay an additional $250,000 fine and serve 250 hours of community service.

Loughlin and Giannulli are among a group of well-to-do parents who have pleaded guilty to paying bribes to secure fake test scores and credentials to gain top college spots for their kids.

Former Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman was sentenced to two weeks in jail last year for her own part in the scheme to get one of her daughters into college.

File photo: BACKGRID

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison on charges of sexual assault and rape in a New York court on Wednesday.

Weinstein, 67, entered the court in a wheelchair to face sentencing after a jury convicted him last month of sexually assaulting former production assistant Mimi Haley and raping former aspiring actress Jessica Mann.

Weinstein is seen arriving to New York State Supreme Court on Feb. 24. The father of 5 was transferred last week to New York's Rikers Island jail after having a stent inserted in his heart during surgery at Bellevue Hospital.

Judge James Burke imposed a lengthy sentence of 20 years for the assault on Haley and three years for a third degree rape on Mann, to be served consecutively. He was also sentenced to five years of post-sentence supervision.

According to Variety.com, Weinstein expressed "deep remorse" for his actions but also claimed to be "confused" by his conviction, citing his "serious friendships" with the two victims, and claimed men were not being given "due process" when accused of sexual misconduct.

Four other women who testified against Weinstein during the case were in court for the hearing. Scores of others have also accused the shamed movie mogul of misconduct ranging from harassment to rape, allegations he has denied.

Source: WENN.com