Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA

I don’t know about you guys, but I have grown wary of those painfully boring MTV Making of the Band groups. The television viewing audience is not stupid. No matter how cute you dress it up – we know fake when we see it.

But finally someone gets the concept right. Jermaine Dupri has signed a new group called Brutha, and together with Turner Network, he has created a new reality show which documents the rise of a REAL group – not a fake manufactured group.

Peachtree TV follows five talented teens (real brothers from the same family) as they audition for the Big Time in Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA.

The one-hour original Special is set to Air Monday, March 24, at 8 p.

For some reason their Myspace page was deleted. Luckily, they have a growing core of fans who saved their music.

Read their bio after the break.

In the high-stakes world of the urban music industry, five talented brothers with a knack for laying down hot R&B tracks travel to music mecca Atlanta to shoot for the big time. Peachtree TV is along for the ride in an exciting original special coming to the channel this March. Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA follows the tight-knit family as they prepare to audition for Dupri, president of Island Urban and owner of So So Def, in a showcase before a live audience. The one-hour original special is set to air on Peachtree TV Monday, March 24, at 8 p.m.

“Off the heels of our successful original series Dallas Austin’s DRUMROLL: SWD, Peachtree TV has again attracted a leader in the pop culture arena to create outstanding, Atlanta-originated programming especially for our audience,” said Jonathan Katz, senior vice president/general manager of Peachtree TV. “We are excited to be working with Jermaine Dupri as we introduce viewers to Brutha.”

Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA opens as five Los Angeles-based brothers – Grady, Cheyenne (aka Papa), Jacob, Jared (aka JR) and Anthony – head to Atlanta for a one-time, make-or-break opportunity to audition for highly successful musician and music business executive Dupri. They are coming to Atlanta at the invitation of their uncle, Donny “Drano” Harrell, CEO of Goodfellas Entertainment, and Shakir Stewart, senior vice president of A&R and head of the A&R department at Island Def Jam, both of whom are putting their reputations on the line to give Brutha a shot at the big time.

After arriving in Atlanta, the brothers spend seven grueling, sweat-filled days rehearsing music and moves for their showcase. They are put through the ringer physically and emotionally as they work with artist development consultant Marvin McIntyre of Marvelous Enterprises, who has fostered the talent of such top artists as Boyz II Men and New Edition. Over the seven days, they also work extensively with a choreographer, vocal coach, stylists and producer Jazze Pha. The strain of working so intensely pushes the brothers to the limit, but their strong familial bond keeps them going.

On the big day, the brothers arrive at Atlanta’s stylish Opera nightclub, where they finally get to prove themselves in front of Dupri and a host of other music producers, with the hopes of securing a record contract.

Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA is being executive-produced by Stewart, Harrell and James Dubose, with Ri-Karlo Handy serving as co-executive producer.

Peachtree TV is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s local Atlanta broadcast platform. Driven by an Atlanta-centric, hyper-local sensibility, the channel features nightly blockbuster prime-time movies and a daytime line-up packed with popular sitcoms targeted to Atlanta’s local audience. In addition, Peachtree TV will also bring local viewers 45 Atlanta Braves baseball games in 2008, as well as other special Atlanta-based events.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

Source:

Ryan Glover
Turner Entertainment Network

Gina McKenzie
Gina.mckenzie@turner.com

32 Responses to “Jermaine Dupri Presents: BRUTHA”

AreUForReal says:

Okay Sandra I understand where your coming from with the making The Band comments, but you do realize that most of our favorite groups from the past were maufactured right. For instance TLC. Don’t knock those boys for taking the opportunity to live their dreams.

AreUForReal says:

And did Poppa Diddy Puff already try the whole Jackson 5 remake thing with B5?

AreUForReal says:

change did to didn’t.

mizzdallas says:

Alot of your favorite groups were manufactured, as long as they have talent and I do mean real talent not the PRO-TOOL talent! and for as Jermaine Dupri he has been following in Diddy & Jay-Z footsteps since 4ever, so Diddy has his reality t.v show How come Diddy “Making the Band” so fake?

ms.peaches says:

I honestly thought the whole boy band thing was played but I guess Diddy & JD are trying to bring it back to life?? anyway whatever happened to all those boy bands from back in the day maybe they should think about that as well!! Jus a thought!!
    Remember ATL, Subway,Mista,112,Soul4Real,ABC, even B2K the list goes on im sure but I think the only groups that have had longevity is New Edition & Boys 2 Men oh & Immature lasted a good lil while, not to say that those guys I just named aren’t still doing there thing but they aren’t a hot as when they first came out!! so I guess my point is these guys should really have a good sit down & talk to New Edition if anybody should help these boy bands get in the biz it should be them!! & whatever happened to the brothers Diddy just put out a couple of years ago B5 I think is there name, thats his thing once he gets something new he just forgets about his other artist, you can’t name one artist Diddy had from back in the day that is still with him not even 112

wiggy2272003 says:

y’all are right a LOT of top groups in the past have been assembled by executives etc, they then had to prove themselves talentwise to be in the limelight. With these making the band type they are thrust upon us and promoted heavily before they’ve even built a fan base.

Krysi - yes the same one says:

Here we go again.

ms.peaches says:

But the best of luck to those guys Brutha!! hopefully JD has a different approach other than Diddy, hopefully these guys won’t be a passing fad, hopefully it won’t be a waste of time for them, JD, or us viewers who will be tuning in to watch it!!

wiggy2272003 says:

As long as there are young girls with posters,cds,ringtones and t-shirts to buy, the powers that be will continue to market boy bands.

omina-homina says:

Why two of them dudes look like Barack Obama?

Terry .W says:

Aww Lawwd…why?….Im with you on this one SR

Maxdan says:

With the “fake” groups you’re just waiting for someone to cut up and not play with the team.

PLUS, with family groups vocals due to the genetics and similar timbre in their voice…. harmonies are better and they know how to flow without practicing sometimes. Natural chemistry.

You get old groups like Salt-N-Pepa, TLC, Boyz-II-Men they stand the test of time or at least maintain a long lasting friendship later in life. Quality.

AreUForReal says:

I think all these reality shows are doing more harm the the careers of these groups than helping them. Can you say over exposure?

Maxdan Says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My point exactly!

bloggergirlz says:

the one to the left do look lik barack lol!

i don’t care who they are, how they were put together, where the came from or how they look at this point…i just want to hear some real music, something worth listening to period…i can’t remember the last time i listened to the radio or bought a cd…to say the music industry is mundane would be an understatement!

wiggy2272003 says:

bloggergirlz

I second that emotion, I do apprieciate the new music posts though, I kind of like the macbook air song, now that I know her name I will check her out

blkdiamonn says:

in the words of someone from american idol, “the american public is the best test market”…and music execs are well aware of it..look at all american idol winners, dannity kane, ashlee simpson, leona lewis (ai uk) and all the other artists that were born from reality tv. this is a formula that works..they are able to develop a whole fan base before the first album is ever released!! i think it’s genius, and the worst is still to come..just watch!!

also, as mentioned, many groups/bands…r&b, heavy metal, rock, whatever are “manufactured” look at the jackson 5!!

@ Blkdiamonn:

How is the J5 manufactured? They were not thrown together and given songs and dance steps to memorize in 1 hour! Those boys were doing their thing since they were out of diapers. The J5 practiced and honed their act for years until the world had to sit up and take notice. These MTV groups are a joke!

scorpio says:

@OMINA HOMINA..
    I’M SAYING THE SAME THING THE DUDE IN THE FAR LEFT CORNER WITH THE TRENCH COAT LOOKS JUST LIKE A YOUNG BARACK OBAMA!!!!LOL

Goliano says:

@omina-homina
    I was thinkin’ the same thing. LOL Don’t let FoxNews find out about this. They’ll have their brain-dead viewers thinkin’ Obama was a founding member of N.W.A.

omina-homina says:

@Goliano

LMAO!!!

ms.peaches says:

^^^ you guys are crazy the one on the left end does look like Obama & if the media even got wind of this group they would swear up & down those were all his illegitimate kids!!LOL oh the scandals we find Sandra what have you started (lol)

luxe.li. says:

Most groups are manufactured. DUH. LOL funny Sandra. That’s why most groups don’t make it past a certain amount of years……

tallie says:

I like the song with Brandy.

Sandra you are crazy girl. This is what’s up! How can you not see it? ALL groups are manufactured whether they are family or not, but that is not the point. Boy bands are the shiznit and they nearly became extinct for reasons I have never understood. It was like after INSYC disbanded all boy groups got shut down by the industry. I don’t know.

Anyway, whether you like them or not Day 26 is hot beyond words. Their album is rushed and that is reflected in their music, but lets give them a chance to develop and not falt them for getting an advantage from being formed from the ground up on TV.

Now here comes JD jumping into the fray with this group whose music is pure-d FIYAH. I’m listening to Girl It’s My Time right now and this track in that ish. The lead singer on this song is the best I have heard so far in the first three songs and he doesn’t sing as good as anyone in Day 26, but that’s ok. This group blends better than Day 26 in it’s current state.

Anyway, I could go on forever. I breath music and when I hear good music I get so excited. There is room for both of these groups and 2 or 3 more in my opinion. I wish JD luck with this show. I’ll sure be watching. I’ll always have Day 26′s back because those dudes can sing and the industry needs that.

Oh my damn. I’m doing a blog on BRUTHA’s reality show right now and I was looking for a link to some kind of page for them and I ran into another group out of Atlanta called B.R.U.T.H.A. They have an absolutely heavenly rendition of Christopher Cross’ Sailing on their MySpace page. I wonder who REALLY owns the name.

Oh well, so much for that blog topic. I never did find a link for these guys, but it seems this is only a local show anyway. How unfortunate for the group. Their climb will be a lot slower than it could be. I’m jealous I can’t watch it. I’ll definately get their album though.

ayeReye says:

Hey sandra…one of those guys is from Saved By the Bell the new class

his name is anthony harrell…he actually sang on the show as well

he’s a close fried on mine

2bme says:

They are some really HAPPY brothers..lol..I hope this works out for them

99 problems says:

Ok Im not sure what “family” singing group you are all oozing about with specatacular vocals no one has named one yet and Sandra-again you are out of youre league with music critique, because the BEST harmonizing group was manufactured: enter En Vouge!!

NYC says:

Oh wow, that’s Anthony….ERIC LITTLE from Saved By The Bell the New Class, LOL. He looks good to be 31! He can still play a teen.

terika83 says:

Sandra, what is the big difference between JD putting a group together and Diddy putting one together? I don’t understand why JD’s show is automatically sooo much better and it hasn’t even aired yet. They ACTUALLY remind me of B5, who are signed to Bad Boy by the way…