Tyler Perry’s ‘Good Deeds’ Takes #2 Spot At Box Office

Director/playwright Tyler Perry’s latest movie ‘Good Deeds‘ soared to #2 behind ‘Act of Valor‘ at the box office this weekend. ‘Good Deeds’ earned a respectable $15,583,924 on 2,132 screens, while ‘Act of Valor‘ brought in $24,476,632 — on ? more screens than ‘Deeds’ was shown on.

Good Deeds‘ is about an anal-retentive, wealthy businessman, Wesley Deeds (Perry), trying to ‘save’ an exotic, LSLH cleaning woman (Thandie Newton) who works for his computer software firm.

Wesley Deeds is a hard-working, compassionate man who looks out for his narcissistic brother, Walter (Brian White), despite the fact that Walter sabotages his every move.

Deeds is so attentive to details that his daily routine can easily be predicted by his live-in fiancee, Natalie (Gabrielle Union).

Union turns in a wonderful performance as the understanding, submissive girlfriend who makes breakfast for her man every morning, while allowing him to go about his day without “checking in” with her (because she trusts him not to break from his routine). The warm, beautiful Natalie is every black man’s dream.

What could be more perfect?

Well, ‘Good Deeds‘ is a feel-good movie for movie goers who seek a little respite from reality. But like most reality TV, ‘Deeds’ is more escapism and fantasy than realism.

Like all of Perry’s movies, ‘Deeds’ carries a hidden message, but his message is lost in all the sentimental, overemotional hokum of the movie’s script.

Let’s begin with Newton’s “Lindsey” character. She’s a single mother of one who is down on her luck. Lindsey’s life is spiraling out of control due to her own irresponsible behavior and poor decision making. In quick succession, the IRS has garnished her paychecks for not paying her taxes on time, and she and her 6-year-old daughter, Ariel (Jordenn Thompson), are evicted for not paying her rent on time. Lindsey’s meager savings, which was hidden in a mattress, is stolen by looters going through her personal belongings left on the street. And she barely has enough money to put gas in the van that she and Ariel are forced to sleep in at night.

When Deeds and Lindsay first meet in the parking garage of his firm, she calls him an “ass” for asking a two truck driver not to tow her car from where she parked it in his personal parking space!

Lindsay would call Deeds an “ass” one more time before the day was through. Her excessive hostility and sarcasm toward him, when he is simply trying to help her, is somehow supposed to make us feel sorry for her. Eventually, Lindsey warms up to Deeds, whom she quietly despises. Lke most experienced gold diggers (and strippers), Lindsey knows a sucker when she meets one.

But despite all of those red flags fluttering in his face, Wesley Deeds, like most black men, only sees her exotic beauty and her good hair. He is smitten, and once the Dopamine starts flowing, he practically throws his life away — everything he has worked so hard for — to ‘save’ Lindsey.

Deeds’ fiancee, Natalie, is very perceptive. It’s not long before Natalie notices certain breaks in Wesley’s daily routine — danger signals that his attention is being occupied by another woman.

But the dark-skinned Natalie is self-confident and secure. She is immune to the damaging effects of dopamine. So when she meets the object of her man’s affections at an office party, she doesn’t go off or act jealous — even though Wesley thinks a little jealousy is reassuring.

Natalie simply accepts that Wesley will eventually move on with the gold digger — and she, Natalie, will move on with her life.

Without giving away the entire plot, the not-so hidden message in Tyler Perry ‘Good Deeds‘ is for dark skinned women to be humble and submissive, and accept their fates when their men decide to cancel their engagement and throw their lives away to go globe-hopping with exotic LSLH cleaning ladies.

Photos by Quantrell Colbert – © 2011 Very Perry Films

256 Responses to “Tyler Perry’s ‘Good Deeds’ Takes #2 Spot At Box Office”

Not interested.

FeFe says:

:nono: to Gabby with those coarse roots and silky straight ponytail!

I heard this movie was pretty good :yes: Might need to go check it out, but I hate movie theaters I get migraines when Im there

CookieMonsterZ says:

______________________________________

Um, spoiler alert?

kahmmillion says:

Thank you Sandy….I will not be seeing this isht and Tyler can kiss my azz if this is what this dumb azz movie is about! :cuss:

lnp03 says:

I liked the movie but it did lose me in some parts. I wanted to know why there was so much animosity between Walter (Wesley’s brother) and their mother? Also, it is hard for me to look at Tyler Perry as a man and not see Madea. The movie was very predictable but overall okay.

good lord I read the wirte up on this movie Sandra :ghost:

FeFe says:

:smack: anddddd…..here we go with the shade toward shades…. :no:

Fe, guhlllll! i hates it when the textures dont match :(

kahmmillion says:

Did Gabby forget to perm the front of her hair?

________________________________________

:rofl: Sandra please stop trying to speak for men, please :stop:

TwinMom says:

He has truly evolved as an actor, director, and writer. I thought this was his best yet. Trust and believe, I am not easily impressed. Good Deeds = Good Job! Go Tyler….let’s get behind this brother and support his work.

Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:) says:

Fe, guhlllll! i hates it when the textures dont match :(
    ____________________________

This is not the first time Gab has graced us with the nappy roots :no:

kahmmillion says:

“But the dark-skinned Natalie is self-confident and secure.”

@ SR

I thought Roc said dark skinned women were insecure….please fix your write up. Thanks. :hahaha:

TwinMom says:

Totally agree I enjoy majority of his movies. Didnt care for daddy’s little girls :no:

lady_cn says:

I don’t get into Tyler Perry movies anymore, the plot is usually the same. Some woman has been hurt by a man or needs to be saved and along comes her knight in shining armor to save her and they live happily ever after.

I was however interested in seeing this movie but after seeing Sandra’s write up, I’m not so sure I will.

Detective Iheart says:

Haven’t seen this and don’t plan on seeing it :coffee:

FeFe says:

:lol: @Fayla and kah…y’all see that chit too!? How did the “stylists” on the set of this film not catch that?

NaijaGal says:

I’ll never know if this movie is good or not…in other news…

waterlily_76 says:

“the not-so hidden message in Tyler Perry ‘Good Deeds‘ is for dark skinned women to be humble and submissive, and accept their fates when their men decide to cancel their engagement and throw their lives away to go globe-hopping with exotic LSLH cleaning ladies.”

——————-

:rofl: I did want to see it, but I’m not so sure now.

_______________________________________

Damn there goes my chances of having a real relationship :coffee: you LSLH heffa’s have it all, light skin, long hair, my man, my potential man, the man of my dreams… :yawn: Sandra it’s too dayum ealry for this chyt right here

vero says:

Sorry Sandra but I can’t read all your analysis

FeFe says:

:stop: FOLKS, PLEASE DO NOT ENGAGE IN THIS SHYT AGAIN!

kahmmillion says:

Did Thandie’s luck run out in the movie before or after she bought the bike cuz them bishes are expensive.

_______________________________________________________

WTF is this…. Lawd
    If women think like this I think Im gonna be single forever. :lol:

lovezoe says:

Haven’t seen it, want to so I will skip out to we get off topic and on to BBW and TI show. Shokaka is one of those coloreds I can’t be around.

@lovezoe

BBW bored the shyt out of me last night…no comment on TI, Tiny, and that psycho stylist of hers…

mizzdallas says:

:rofl: at this whole post!!!

lovezoe says:

:preach: Some folks you just need to leave in the hood :yes:

Not all men want LHLS.
    True my father does not find them attractive :no:

lady_cn says:

lovezoe says:

___________________________________________________

I fast forwarded through most of BBW last night. :yawn:

bumblebee says:

I couldn’t tell from the previews what the movie was actually about and now that I know I still don’t want to see it. But good for him.

NaijaGal says:

I need Royce to stop making every man ‘the one’…and I got the impression that as long as Chad told her he was going to fcuk some other chick she was cool with it and also cool with bringing in other females as long as she liked them :huh:

lovezoe says:

I really need for Evelyn to get them veneers reshaped or something.

mizzdallas says:

@lovezoe

I find shenkinhah funny!!! like I said on twitter I can hang out with her but NOT let her do my hair tho, I have natural hair and I be damned if someone phucks it up!!!

Eazy says:

:waves: Good Morning Everyone :waves:

Detective Iheart says:

Im gonna have to go to the :kona: On this post caus I can’t with this lslh and dark skinned women :rollseyes: 50lem times

___________________________

Daheyull you say? According to Sandra ain’t no man checking for no nappy, bald headed unhumble, unsubmissive azz dark skin woman :rofl:

________________________
    I don’t have a preference but my little bro won’t look at a chick if she ain’t.

lady_cn says:

__________________________________________________________

I got the same thing from Chad and Evilyn’s conversation, but let Sandra tell it, that’s the secret to a happy relationship/marriage. :coffee:

Eazy says:

We off topic yet ?? :pray:

lnp03 says:

I liked the movie but it did lose me in some parts.

Me too. I was mad at Wesley Deeds for throwing his life away for this broad who disrespected him until she found out he was her boss. Even when she told him she like him sexually, he still bought her and her daughter tickets to Africa with him. Everything that Wesley did for Lindsey was out of blind love (actions rather than words). But her actions were clear: what little she did for him was to benefit herself. :coffee:

lovezoe says:

@Naja- That’s basically what she agreed to. She clown everyone else but insecure as all get out. I know some will say that’s not what it meant, but she said go get condoms, just let me know. GIRL BYE! She so gully with everyone else, but as long as she getting leased cars and “red bottoms” she spread eagle.

CookieMonsterZ says:

______________________________________

My bf had me cracking up the other day, he was like someone gets done wrong, a man finds a women or a woman finds a man. Then they’re all like “Praise the Lord!”

I still love me some ‘Diary of a Mad Black Woman’ though!

mizzdallas says:

So Eve is okay with Chad bringing another woman in their relationship as long as he tells her she is okay with it.. Desperation for money make some women stupid..

SamYell
    Lady
    £
    :waves:

___________________________

____________________________________

Yeah… Everytime I come in here folks keep telling me what i want. :lol:

EB says:

Tyler Perry has no sex appeal at all.

Was it a good movie?

___________________________

I guess im a fukkin anomaly then cause I am far from LSLH and have had a man for 10 years and been married for 8 :rollseyes:

lady_cn says:

It’s obvious that Tyler is the “woman” in all his movies who wants do badly to be ‘saved’ be a knight in shining armor. I could be wrong though. :coffee:

lovezoe says:

Well I am dark skin and my hubby loves him some me. :coffee:

Eazy :hug:

@ Anna says:
    Not all men want LHLS.

Yes they do….please ask you girl Roc. You are fooling if you think any man would want to be seen with a dark skin hard working woman. Please face it, if you are dark skinned, you will spend the rest of your life alone. :ha:

:hugs: @Hershey and Eazy

Was it a good movie?

It’s a feel-good movie. :coffee:

Sup Naija

Tyler looks like a dude when he’s in his Madea get up and looks like Madea when he tries to play a dude. :shrug:

lady_cn says:

EB says:

Tyler Perry has no sex appeal at all.
    ______________________________________________________

I thought he was sexy until I heard his ‘regular’ voice which to me sounds the same as Madea’s. :shrugs: That was a huge turn off.

mizzdallas says:

CookieMonsterZ says:

______________________________________

I still love me some ‘Diary of a Mad Black Woman’ though!

yep! except the family that preys it was totally different from his movies

NaijaGal says:

What was up with lispy kissing Evelyn’s ass…can’t get with females in their 30′s begging for friends

Eazy says:

@Kah you want a whipping early this morning :huh: :lol:

@ Anna says:

____________\
    So how in the heyul did I find my hubby :thinking: Maybe he say me with blinders on :shrugs:

lady_cn says:

What up Naijagal! :headnod:

Submissive :whip:

:waves: @Lakes

@kah

Not at all trying to drudge up last week or come at you mean, but I HONESTLY do not think that Roc feels the way you are making her out to feel…I think there was a very SERIOUS misunderstanding between the two of you…

@ Sandra Rose says:

Was it a good movie?
    It’s a feel-good movie.

________________________________

Your review of the movie…isn’t making me feel good :no:

ryand91 says:

Usually I support all non-Madea Tyler Perry movies, but for some reason I have zero interest in seeing this moving.

Eazy says:

:hug: Fefe morning

lovezoe says:

@naja- Suzi sure is ballsy this season, isn’t she?

:offtopic: Kinda
    Did anyone else think that Tyler Perry sounded like Madea at times when he was speaking at Whitney’s fune? Oh.. Me either :kona:

lady_cn says:

mizzdallas says:

yep! except the family that preys it was totally different from his movies
    ________________________________________________________

True, I guess that’s why it’s one of the only one of his movies I can watch more than once.

NaijaGal says:

They say watch who you have kids with but ion know…cause Diggy is a cutie, Angela and Vanessa are cute but that doggone Jo Joe and Russy *le sigh*

@ Detective Iheart says:

@ Anna says:
    ____________\
    So how in the heyul did I find my hubby Maybe he say me with blinders on

:rofl: Color blind perhaps…. :think:

lady_cn says:

Kinda
    _____________________________________________________________

I thought he was really about to go into Madea mode. I was :pray: he wouldn’t though. That was neither the time nor place. :nono:

iAmChan says:

Morning fam? I am in a great mood today! How are yall!

Eazy says:

can’t get with females in their 30?s begging for friends
    ___________________________
    or the ones in their 30′s acting a fool on TV

I :cosign: @FeFe #69

@ Eazy says:

@Kah you want a whipping early this morning

:dead:

@Iheart

He DID sound like Madea….and you could tell it was unintentional because he was being VERY serious! :rofl:

NaijaGal says:

I thought the Family the Preys was ok at best…the storyline like most of his movies was beyond far fetched

GAGIRL87 says:

Sandra this post was funny :lol:

This movie doesn’t even seem remotely interesting to me :yawn: it’s so predictable we all know he’s gonna get with Thandie Newton right :shrug:

Sorta like The Roommate and Single White Female<<<<< (loved this movie) we all KNOW how these movies both play out :coffee:

lady_cn says:

____________________________________________________________

:ghost:

Fefe :danban:

vero says:

:dead: & :ghost: @Samyell gravi

in other news?

has anyone ever had a SONG to make them hawnee? i listned to Jamie Foxx’s “Freakin Me” last night abt 25 times & chillle :hump: :ashamed:

Mannie says:

____________________________________

Right… SR is supposed to be fun people lets fall off the the thumb thuggin…

let keep it :peace: ful in here…well for the most part anyway… :rofl:

Detective Iheart says:

@Kah, I guess soo :shrugs: Maybe he thinks is have reverse vitaligo like Uncle Rukkus from the boondocks :thinking: Imma ask him when I get home today :rofl:

prynsexxx says:

I want to see the movie. I might take my mom. I can’t see my dude sitting through this, SPECIALLY if ain’t nothing being blown up in the first 5 mins.

My TV stayed on BBW and TI but I didn’t hear not nan word. BBW LOOKED boring and from the way Shakazikiah’s head was moving back and forth, I kinda figured it out. BUT I did see when she said “I can’t be a hood bish with no occupation.” :dead:

Morning EVERYBODY!

___________________________

______________________________________

Hrm…this is an absolute lie and ain’t a drop of truth in it! Sandra done told you this here is impossible. I got a snowball’s chance in hell of having a faithful, functioning relationship with DSLH ass. :coffee:

:rofl: Congrats to you sis :heart:

@ NaijaGal says:

__________________________

I thought Angie, Van and Do Do came from Rev’s first marriage and Diggy is from the other. Imo, Van is a cute girl….Ang :no:

@Fayla

All the time! :hump: :yes:

Ichan :waves: me too
    Naija Diggy can get it… :coffee: raaaawr

mizzdallas says:

NaijaGal says:

I havent seen russy but I seen jojo and he is not cute at all!!! :no:

@Fay, :yes: Urshers song Seduction usta make me wanna :hump: all the time

CC says:

But the dark-skinned Natalie is self-confident and secure.
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Was the dark-skinned description of Natalie really necessary? :shrug:

lady_cn says:

______________________________

Well IMO Tyler Perry just shows Vunerabilites of men… Something I think that is lacking in our culture. Due to the fact that people will think you are gay if you are not uber Masculine… which is completely overcomepensation and BS.

NaijaGal says:

@Khamill that’s my point…first marriage 2/3 were cute, in the second 1/2 was cute

@ @kah

______________________________________

I didn’t see where the misunderstanding came in. I read what she wrote and reread what she wrote to make sure I was comprehending correctly before I responded. That’s the way it came across to me….so :shrug: I kept telling her to reread what I wrote, either she can’t comprehend or she just didn’t give a isht but she came at me.

iAmChan says:

Not all men want LHLS.

Damn right, I need some dark skin, drawstring ponytails and quick weaves in my life.

Whats up Laker

CC says:

But the dark-skinned Natalie is self-confident and secure.
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Was the dark-skinned description of Natalie really necessary?

________________________________________________

Ummm, yes…it leads into her last paragraph :coffee:

@Iheart

I wanted to laugh so bad but I knew I couldn’t :lol:

@ Detective Iheart says:

@Kah, I guess soo Maybe he thinks is have reverse vitaligo like Uncle Rukkus from the boondocks Imma ask him when I get home today

______________________________

:dead: Don’t do that….because, if he really finds out you are not LHLS, you will lose him and be left alone like the other millions of dark skinned women in the world….oh no! :hahaha:

NaijaGal says:

Speaking of color briefly I always wondered why the dark skinned men in Tyler’s film were always educated but abusive, yet the light skinned bus driver or factory worker was going to rescue you from all life’s problems…but I digress

iAmChan says:

:blink: :kona:

Trendsetter says:

@ Detective Iheart…yes he did sound like Madea at the funeral

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

@ Chan :rofl: not the drawstring ponytails!

Igo.. Hey.. U got ur mocha shots in huh? :lol:

Mannie says:

______________________________

_______________________________

Never looked at it like that but I agree…if you aren’t hyper masculine then women assume you are gay… I personally dont get it…

I dont say any chick thats not in heels with a face full of makeup and a dress on 24/7 is a les but watev… I really just think its interesting how women claim double standards are keeping them down but dont see when they do that guys

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

Igo.. Hey.. U got ur mocha shots in huh?
    ________________________________

Yep… Early. :lol:

Go There says:

___________________________

____________________________________

Yeah… Everytime I come in here folks keep telling me what i want. :lol:
    ~~~~~~~~
    :rofl: Once again, not all men are looking for LHLS. I told my son if she can’t use your comb don’t bring her home. :lol: My son loves the brown skin sisters. He knows black don’t crack. Light skin does not age well.

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

@ Iheart, when Tyler started quoting those scriptures, Madea rolled out of him. He’s a man that has a old lace front wig wearing lady trapped inside of him. Must be painful to not be who you really want to be, feminine. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some TP, but he seems so uncomfortable in his own skin.

Detective Iheart says:

@Hershey, Well I guess my dark ass will :pray: for you and all my other fellow darkies to find a man that wont beat,cheat, and degrade them

@ iAmChan says:

Kcg80 says:

For me it wasn’t a “bad” movie. It was just a bit slow. I felt like the same issues were repeated constantly. We get that the chick is broke and Tyler is her “captain save a hoe”. No need to keep reinforcing that.

As Auntie said, it is a “feel-good” movie, however, there wasn’t much more to it past the trailer. So basically, if you saw the trailer or the TV previews, you’ve seen the movie.

I thought Gabby did a good job. Thandie’s attitude and overacting got on my nerves. And I agree with the comments regarding the “knight-in-shining-armor” theme. It’s a little played out.

Overall, its a decent movie. I’m not disappointed that I saw nor do I feel like I wasted $10.

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

Good morning Family :waves:

NaijaGal says:

What I got from the Khamill and Roc situation was that Khamill said ‘dark skin and light skin each have their battles that neither would u/s’ and I think Roc interpreted that ‘only dark skins got picked on’ but she had a different story thus making Khamill’s statement factual…so in a sense they were on the same page without one knowing

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

I’m backkkkk!!!

@Mannie
    When you wanna do happy hour, son? Might have to leave work early and make it happen. (I’m in ethesda, BTW.)

Also _ I do agree. That super masculine man-cliche’ can get tiring. All men ineed a little bit of sensitivity. I argue with Mister all the time about he has NO nurture in him and it honestly concerns me about us having kids or something. His folks was some: “walk it off” type folks. And my fam babied the men so bad, they all turned out to be not sh*t in one way or another, but the super-masculine, slightly thug thing is soooo…not the way. I don’t want to raise kids like that with almost no humanity. :no:

@NaijaGal says:

___________________________________

You’re right…..I wonder if Tyler has a problem with skin color too and he secretly wishes he was a red bone. :think: :kona: before I get :cuss: out.

vero says:

I believe I said hi :cuss:

iAmChan says:

Not all men want LHLS.

:dead: at the drawstring ponytails :rofl:

@kah

You are definitely entitled to your opinion and interpretation, however, I saw it as her telling her story about growing up and dealing with color issues as well. Just like you were expressing your struggle with it, she was expressing HERS! And to act like some chicks don’t bully women because of light skin and long hair (the two do not always go hand in hand) is ignoring facts. My mother dealt with it growing up and my husband said that folks never took him seriously because he was so fair and guys thought he was soft. So all I saw was Roc expressing what SHE experienced growing up which is HER story… but the discussion in general is ridiculous to me anyway so I digress… :hugs:

MissDallas.. :hi:
    Igo… Mmmhmm… I see..

Ty says:

:offtopic: Did anyone want to slap the hell outta Evelyn last night? She is 40+ talking about I need to know that I have the best snatch and u not checking for anyone else. Bish please. Grow up and bring more to the table than a piece of azz. There is no way in hell that I would marry Chad. U can tell by the conversation that he is still phucking around.

Mannie says:

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

I’m backkkkk!!!

@Mannie
    _______________________________________

Oh you WAY OUT THERE….Umm lol we might have to webcam that happy hour…lol

Vero hola :waves:

@Fe & Iheart, lawwwd i finally got a cord for this mp3 player i had forever, & was just chillin listenin to music in bed. that song came on & i was gettin tingly, like r u kiddin me? like i was being touched tingly. i was hawnee AF!!! :hump:

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

@Kah

I work for the govt. I’m just teleworking on certain days out of every week so I can “log in” on time at work, but I usually don’t pull my azz out the bed until close to noon…or after.

I also think you & Roc had a big misunderstanding. I don’t think she was saying LSLH were better at all, but rather that her struggle is just as bad as DS folks. I think she was feling like everyone was minimizing that LS folks have no issues with skin tone growing up and they do and she was telling her side of it. I never got that she called YOU insecure or anything at all.

lovezoe says:

@ty Chad creeping and she know it

@ NaijaGal says:

:clap: I understood what she was saying and that’s why I kept on referring her back to my first post….she refused to go to it, so things went left.

Detective Iheart says:

@Hershey, Well I guess my dark ass will for you and all my other fellow darkies to find a man that wont beat,cheat, and degrade them
    _____________________________

Here I was thinking, I’m a pretty good looking woman, fat ole ass, long hair that don’t care :rofl: and all the time it was my dark skin that has me single, welp guess I’ll head over to Petco after work and buy me a few cats :coffee:

flsun99 says:

I saw the movie Sandra and I interrupted it differently. Wesley was a man who was told how to live his life. He did things to make others happy. Lindsey was a spitfire who made him open up and step outside of his comfort zone. Natalie (Gabby) was willing to settle because her mother and Wesley’s mother felt she was a good pick for him. She loved Wesley but she was unhappy.

:wave: Vero

vero says:

:waves: @Lakes
    I almost left the site :lol:

:waves: @vero and creamy

Gumbumper says:

The movie was a good movie, but like @Kcg80 says: if you saw the trailer or the TV previews, you’ve seen the movie.

NaijaGal says:

@lovezoe maybe she’s so desperate to be a ‘wife’ that she’ll put up with what she has to in order for it to happen

GAGIRL87 says:

Offtopic “The Family That Preys” & “Diary of a Mad Black Women” & “Family Renioun” were pretty good TP movies :yes:

:whistle: Chaka Khan’s Keep Your Head Up

vero says:

:hug: Faygay ! i’m still :waiting:

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

@ Sassy she did call her insecure later on in the comments. It got ugly because IMO, Roc felt like Kah was coming for her, when she initially made a very general statement. She took it to heart and ran with it.

Mannie says:

______________________________

_______________________________

______________________________________________

Homie thats the thing… since we’ve been bombarded by the Downlow dude and guys coming out the closet… everything has to be done in an Uber masculine way as to not get called gay. And it fks it up cause men are vunurable but showing it would be like suicide. So its damned if you do and damned if you dont. Like check it…you get a dude coming out and he is rappin or singing but he talks about women like sex objects and he always talking about smashing. Alot of women will get offended but if this same dude comes out and speaks about women in a good light and doesnt do all that he’s look at as soft.

Vero :lol: I’ve had my invisible days on sr

NaijaGal says:

I miss quality black films…The Best Man, The Woods, Love Jones even Love and Basketball (even though Omar Epps character was a pure ass)

caligirl says:

What up SR Family :waves:

Fayla – Morning Boo I’m so whippped this morning!

Love Zoe – You got your count down happeing?

Mannie and Sassy….Ohhh ya’ll just gonna meet up and not invite Choco. You know she in the area.

Easy and Lake :kiss: Ty & FeFe

Vero – WHY?

Hershey – Hey Cutie – Thanks for the reprieve of GOD awful Gravis

Who I miss :coffee:

lovezoe says:

Naja- yet she clowns everyone else. Royce is whatever call a lost cause. She is in love with being in love.

@IGo not LL Cool J…he’s always romancing the ladies :D

lovezoe says:

@Cali 18 DAYS!!!!
    Everything is done, getting carpet cleaned today.

Cali :kiss:

lnp03 says:

@ryand91: Who is the baby on your avatar? He is so beautiful! Such a handsome baby!

Thanks Auntie for responding to my post. Some of the parts that touched me included how Lindsey struggled. I saw a lot of myself in her. In my efforts to be strong and take care of everything and everyone all of the time, I still fall short. Also, I put the needs of others before mine so when I have people in life that will help, I often don’t let them.

My Sweetie went to see the movie with me. It was his first Tyler Perry movie. He only agreed to go because I told him Madea would not be in it. LOL

Overall, he liked the movie. He thought that the storyline was slow to develop and that Walter’s anger was too over the top. The parts that hit home for him was when Lindsey and Ariel were evicted. He experienced that as a child after his parents divorced.

I agree with everyone that Tyler Perry films all have the same theme and similar plots.

vero says:

:rofl: @Lakes, i know

Cali, because i felt like noone was noticing me ! I’ve been unable to log in or comment because work piled up lately.
    and when I can steal a few minutes, i don’t feel the warm welcome i’m entitled to :lol:

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

@Mannie

:lol: You tryna Skype-sex with me, Mannie?

*Side-eye*

I’m game!! :cheer1:

NaijaGal says:

@lovezoe I assume Royce sees what her parents have and she wants that so desperately that she’ll make a square peg fit in a round hole

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

@ Cali chile hersh! :waves: just for that I’m :typing: looking for a ratchet azz gravi!

vero says:

:newpost: (=trap post)

NaijaGal says:

@Sassy you gone dress shopping yet…you going to Kleinfelds?

caligirl says:

NaijaGal:smile: Igo – You still on the lamb from last week :kona: :rofl:

I told mister that Kim K need to go sit down with her Gypsy puzzay; he was rolled and was laughing uncontrollably. I’m mad I couldn’t take credit for it.

Mannie says:

____________________________________________

Man my moms husband is that Uber i will kill you in the streets dude and my mom once questioned how he drinking coffee or tea something and i was like hmm if Macho man over here gets questioned im short dog… I am by no mean a hard core type dude…i am str8 from the burbs and i act it…which leads some women to talk very reckless and then i have to act stupid for them to respect me…which leads them to say oh you dont respect women…ugh like you said damned if you do damned if you dont…

@IGo not LL Cool J…he’s always romancing the ladies
    _____________________________________________

Yep he is the one big exception… I think his build plays into that too. (that doesnt sell as much as he should)

Rolo says:

Morning everyone.
    Im so over the whole light skin vs dark skin mess. Its like the house slaves vs the field slaves. Ugh.

NaijaGal says:

Cali :kiss: hey boo where you been

vero says:

:dead: @Sassy & Mannie
    (sassy, you’ve been slow on that one :lol: )

@Igo
    You can be respectful to women in rap and not seen as soft. Common does it, 3k does it. It’s all in how you do it. Drake comes off as soft imo because his mannerisms and demeanor.

@ FeFe says:

@kah

___________________________________________

And I will have to disagree with you.

“I’m assuming you are light skinned (correct)? If so, we have had two different struggles with this skin color in the black community thing. No but, we will never understand the other’s struggle. People may say get over this and get over that, but until you have felt the injustice of another, you nor I will understand their stance as to the subject matter.”

That’s what I said to YOU not Roc….when did I say anything about me growing up and being treated any kind of way?

This is what Roc said:

“Obviously I’m light but trust me we have struggles too! We don’t get a free pass because of that shyt. And just to give you a little more insight I can’t COUNT the number of times I had to fight when I was you because I was light skinned with long hair and “thought I was cute”. WTF is that?
    I wish people would stop letting their own insecurities dictate how they feel about others.”

She said that dark skinned people are insecure of light skinned people. I don’t know where you got your analysis from of the situation but I will have to respectfully disagree. After my review of the post from last week, you were both agreeing with the other anyway, so I don’t see why it would be any different now. And that “I was light skinned with long hair” :wtf: did that have to do with anything?

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one because I don’t see what you are seeing.

lnp03 says:

If you’ve ever dealt with a narcissist, that’s exactly how they behave. It’s called narcissistic rage. Narcissists realize that they have no personalities. So they rage at normal people who do.

caligirl says:

NaijaGal:smile: Igo – You still on the lamb from last week
    _______________________________________________

How was I on the lamb?

Mannie says:

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

@Mannie

You tryna Skype-sex with me, Mannie?
    _______________________________________

Nah i just want to meat the chick that might just be super ride or die…

Ty says:

:wave: @ Fe, Cali, All

@ Lovezoe… He is not even attractive :nono:

iAmChan says:

Is this movie worth my hard earned cash, or should I just bootleg it like i do the yt films?

thats my first time using yt in a post…I feel so good!

Mannie says:

iAmChan says:

thats my first time using yt in a post…I feel so good!
    ________________________________________________________

:rofl: at the last sentence…

@kah

I see where you are coming from, I guess I just didn’t think she was trying to come off mean or offensive, just maybe reliving some chit and venting in response to the general mood of the thread…which IMHO Sandra was responsible for…

But now that you presented both posts, I can see how that went left…and yes, like I said light skin and long hair do NOT always go hand in hand at all! To think it does is ridiculous…

But I like both of y’all so I just want us to all have fun, hold hands, and sing! :2dance:

caligirl says:

@Igo After you listed that welcome package info you were :ghost:

THAT WAS THE FUNNIEST SHIAT! :award:

gypsyeyes says:

are we back onto the same thing?

vero says:

:rofl: @fayfay sorry

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

Goddammit, I’m finna solve EVERYBODY’s problems!!

Light skinned chicks aint finna have a man.
    Dark-skinned chicks ain’t finna have a man.
    Only paper-bag Brown (right in the medium) women are truly secure and will have everything they ask for in life!!

IF your hair is above your shoulders: you ain’t never gon be sh*it!
    If your hair is below your shoulders: you ain’t never been sh*it!
    Only folks whose hairs (yes, I made it plural), come directly to their shoulders will be happy in life!

All of the above being said….. Kdub should be the only happy, hubby-having secure, worth sh*it broad on this board!

Thank you!

Problems solved! :coffee:

SamYell JacksEm says:

@Igo
    ___________________________________________________

Yeah… Those 2 and 3stacks is very good with it. I never pegged Drake for soft… he just isnt some tough guy. Shait what he says is often honest. Common does it but I think it some that consider him soft. But you’re right.

Ty says:

iAmChan says:

I think I bootlegged everything except Red Tails :coffee:

iAmChan says:

@ Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy!

Hilarious, paper bag brown….

Off Topic, I’m thinking of opening a plus sized strip club with this lil grant I got…Imma call it “The Deep Freezer”

yallcrazy says:

Kah, you are reading her write-up in the wrong tone. Go back and read it in a calm (non-combative tone) (if you can). OTB is dark and she “gets it”, so that argument is irrelevant. IMO, you aren’t putting words into Roc’s mouth, but you are putting the thought behind her intention (and that is misplaced). The reasons that I can stand my what I say, is that “we” know how Roc thinks (in general) and we know what she tried to convey (in general).
    ————————–

Fi, communication skills are not what they once were. We are communicating with individuals that have not dealt with certain things, (only due to age), as well as the fact that we are communicating in a new way (technology) that allows a whole lot to get lost in translation.
    —————–
    Everything typed isn’t directed at anyone in particular :coffee: Well, that’s my opinion. I read everyone’s font in “my voice” unless it’s in caps, or whatever :shrug: & I don’t assume that someone is referencing me personally or me as a group of other like individuals :shrug:

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

@ Sassy :smack: guess I better run these scissors to my head and cut my hair to my shoulders, buy some Esoterica lightening cream, monitor my progress with a fresh paper bag, then go shopping for a husband :rofl:

KeepingItClassy84 says:

^^^—^^—^-^-^————– :dead:

flsun99 says:

A lot of strippers are very good at making men open up and step outside of their comfort zones. That’s why strip clubs stay packed every night. :lol: Lindsey was very disrespectful and hostile to Wesley – until she realized who he was. I promise you, he WILL see that side of her again, as soon as she gets tired of him. Then he will wonder why she’s so nasty to him after all he’s done for her. And she will tell him: “You knew I was a snake when you picked me up from the side of the road!” On the other hand, Gabrielle was settled into his routine. They complemented each other very well. She may not have been happy, but it’s not HIS job to make HER happy! Your happiness in life is YOUR responsibility. That’s where women make their mistakes by thinking it’s the man’s job to make them happy. If you were miserable when you met him, you will continue to be miserable. :coffee:

Torae says:

I can honestly say, that i’ve never watched a Tyler Perry movie EVER and I won’t start now.

yallcrazy says:

Chan, call your strip club FAT CAKES :coffee: #iwant5stacksifyouusethatname :grill:

:cheer: CALI :cheer: hey babes!!! long time no font

VERO, imma track it today & see what’s the latest

yallcrazy says:

——————————
    :applause: You can say that again! Miserable folks don’t need to find ANYONE, they need to stop being miserable, AND THEN find someone :coffee:

#butthatstoomuchlikeright

yallcrazy says:

Fay :hug:

KeepingItClassy84 says:

NaijaGal says:

and I got the impression that as long as Chad told her he was going to fcuk some other chick she was cool with it and also cool with bringing in other females as long as she liked them.

That’s what I got from that conversation also. Evelyn’s a fool! :rolleyes:

vero says:

Don’t worry fay. it’ll eventually get here

:hug: Yall

Eazy says:

If you were miserable when you met him, you will continue to be miserable
    ________________________________
    say that :applause:

iAmChan says:

@ yallcrazy

I like that one, I was thinking The Deep Freezer because a while back when my brother tried to hook me up with a larger woman, I responded “That’s too much meat for my deep freezer” and we been saying that since…..I think a plus size strip club can tap an uncovered market…I hope, lol.

dammit imma have a lotta readin to do tonight, yall gettin it IN this moanin!

YALL!!! :2dance: <—bunny hop sup yo?

TY :yahoo: how u doin schweeti?

gypsyeyes says:

I’m gonna be the headliner in that Bytch and they gonna call me Peanut Butter cause of my complexion and I’m gonna make it clap so loud yall gonna think it is a thunder storm, that’s how yall gonna know it’s about to rain…dollars that is!

yallcrazy says:

—————-

Most LSLH bishes are miserable and constantly looking for some man to SAVE them and make them happy. Then, after the initial euphoria of finding their new plaything, those women go back to being miserable and they blame YOU for their unhappiness. Be careful when you meet a woman who says “You make me so happy.” That’s a red flag! :coffee:

:crying: LUSCIOUS!!!!! :crying:

I MISS HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

@ Fay, I emailed her, she didn’t reply back :crying:

Taboo01 says:

@Sanra Rose:It wasn’t lacking in the culture that I grew up in. Men were not afraid to show their vulnerabilities in the 70s and 80s. Have you ever watched Soul Train? The majority of those men were heterosexuals. Yet they danced and dressed in a feminine style. That’s because HIV had not yet surfaced in society, so it was okay for men to show ALL sides of themselves – not just the hard side.
    _______________________________________________________

I’m lost as to how HIV has anything to do with how a person conducts themselves and in my opinion the move could have been better if Idris or Maurice Chestnut played the leading role. Aunty I wonder why you always attack the LSLH ladies….Thandie’s character was angry for reason. Despite all her efforts to provide for her and her daughter things continually went wrong. Any person dealing with the things she dealt with in this movie would have been upset at the world too and her boss was no exception. She didn’t make bad decisions in her life, in fact she made great sacrifices for the sake of her child and all she wanted was a break. You should be applauding the fact that she didn’t turn to welfare as an easy way out, but tried to tough it out on her on.

@Igo

I saw that you spoke to me in the other post. How are you this AM? :)

Taboo01 says:

**The movie** sorry

_________________________________

HIV didnt make that impossible for guys to do that… IT was fickle females fans and the emergence of the “Thug” In the 90s you had guys that were just like that and showed thier vunerable side. But as time went on people didnt want to here about how a dude wanted to love you they wanted to hear about how a guy wanted to fk you. So instead of love songs and vunerability you got some dude with his shirt off… singing about nasty sht.

Taboo01 says:

I’m lost as to how HIV has anything to do with how a person conducts themselves… Thandie’s character was angry for reason. Despite all her efforts to provide for her and her daughter things continually went wrong.

The reason I said HIV had something to do with changing attitudes toward homosexuals is because every gay guy I knew was out and proud in the 80s. Then HIV/AIDS started killing all of my friends in the gay community. Attitudes towards gays changed because society assumed that gays were responsible for HIV (or HTLV III as it was called back then). Gays went into the closet and the carefree days were over.

SweetP1984 says:

I’m happy for him, but I won’t be going to see it. Once you’ve seen one Tyler Perry film, you’ve seen them all in my opinion.

Good…. :coffee:

CookieMonsterZ says:

__________________________________
    Any real-life examples? Just wondering..

@Igo

I saw that you spoke to me in the other post. How are you this AM?
    _______________________________________

Im good since you buying plane tickets and all.. :lol:

@Laker

I was just thinking about riding down 635

CookieMonsterZ says:

__________________________________
    Any real-life examples? Just wondering..
    _____________________________

Any of LSLH cast from

BBall wives Miami/LA to include Shaunie
    Sheree Whitfield ain’t really light but she’s miserable
    Karate Tran
    Lala Vasquez
    Cassie

Igo….
    Mocha hey

Dizzam, is that what you got from the movie? Thandie Newton is not even exotic. Do you think she is? Do you think all light skinned woman with long hair/weave are exotic? I PROMISE you not everyone thinks that way.

I do agree that Thandie’s character was mad irresponsible for a single mom for all the reasons you listed. She was on my last nerve for the first half of the movie.

Anywho, like I said yesterday I LOVED this movie and plan to go see it again this weekend AND buy the DVD when it comes out.

@Igo

I saw that you spoke to me in the other post. How are you this AM?
    _______________________________________

Im good since you buying plane tickets and all..

________________________________________________________________________-

So you coming? :wink:

Igo….
    Mocha hey

__________________________________________________________________

Laker… :coffee:

Yeah you going? :waiting:

CookieMonsterZ says:

:lol: at Karate. I am just not convinced that it’s an isolated LSLH thing as we can never be too sure of what the media portrays to us. Wouldn’t there be other examples for every culture in that case then?

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

Mocha…. :coffee: how is your day going?

missmiami says:

Last movie I saw was WHY DID I GET MARRIED. HE STARTED TRYING TO ASSIMILATE

mistarie says:

yallcrazy says:

—————-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s the craziest shyt I have ever read in my entire life. I don’t understand how you can group all women who are lighter skinned and have long hair into one group. That’s crazy. They are not ALL miserable, nor do they all have issues. Trust me, I know ALOT of darker skinned women who have MAJOR issues as well. Color doesn’t make you insecure or issue laden. How you are raised and your trials and tribulations in life, make you that way. Please :stop: with the color battles. This is like a bad version of School Daze.

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

Mocha…. how is your day going?

______________________________________________________________________

VERY well since it looks like I will be having company soon. :waves: <Igo's ticket confirmation

Yours? :coffee:

Mocha… Is that so…

Taboo01 says:

@ Sandra rose: As far as Lindsey is concerned, she had a stank attitude. There is never a good reason to be angry and rude to people who are trying to help you! I was homeless for almost 4 months in the mid 90s, and I didn’t talk to people the way she did.
    _______________________________________________________

I agree, but unfortunately not everyone has that mind set. I personally believe in compartmentalization at the work place and when I arrive to work I leave personal issues at the door. Maybe in Lindsey’s anger Tyler is trying to address exactly what you said. That’s very big of you to share that you too have been homeless. :applause:

Mocha… Is that so…

_______________________________________________________________

Affirmative :coffee:

Mocha…. :coffee: I like ur imagination… Cute

@Igo

I saw that you spoke to me in the other post. How are you this AM?
    _______________________________________

Im good since you buying plane tickets and all..

________________________________________________________________________-

So you coming?
    ________________________________

I havent been to DC is a minute… But that would be bad for business if I showed up. :lol:

Hhhmmm….. Confirmation denied… :rules: <no refunds

@Igo

I saw that you spoke to me in the other post. How are you this AM?
    _______________________________________

Im good since you buying plane tickets and all..

________________________________________________________________________-

So you coming?
    ________________________________

________________________________________________________________________

*Ignoring Laker*

Bad for who’s business?

Blog business

I dont mess with any of the women on the blog.

Cause they wont be able to handle the aftermath
    That Ticket to DC would turn into TICKET(S) to DC and soon as im nice or say hello to another girl on the blog some issue may ensue.

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

:rofl: Awwww don’t ignore me….

Bad for ur elife… :shank:

Blog business

I dont mess with any of the women on the blog.

Cause they wont be able to handle the aftermath

_________________________________________________________________________

I’m not like other girls *side eys Laker* I’m all woman and can handle that little petty stuff.

You seem very confident of yourself, Mr. Tickets to DC. Those may be ticket(s) to the ATL… :coffee:

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

:wail: I little girl… Ur right Igo seems interested… Since u keep asking…

TLDampier says:

I think I might have to disagree with the write up about that movie and a lot of the comments on here. I thought this movie was great and very inspirational. The movie wasn’t about throwing away all the hard work for a LSLH chick. It was about making decisions for yourself. In the movie Wesley lived his life according to the plans of his mother. He did everything according to what everyone else wanted him to do, including potentially marrying Gabby Union. Thandie’s character in the movie was having a hard time in life, not because of bad decisions, she was married, happily and attending school to be a nurse, her husband was a soldier that died in Afghan. *All this information was in the movie* **You gotta watch** Lindsay was just like any single mom or mom period, protective of her kid and doing what she had to do, outside of stripping and prostitution, to provide as best she could with no help from anyone. In the movie Natalie didn’t want to be with Wesley just as much in the end as he wanted to be with her. It wasn’t because of the LSLH chick it was because they knew the only reason they were getting married is because they came from the same type of families and it looked good on paper. They loved and respected each other enough to walk away.
    This movie was about, in my opinion, taking charge over your life and destiny. It was about not letting your family determine what’s best for you. You have to take risk and live your life the way you want to live it and with who you chose to live it with. I think all that have seen this movie, need to see it again, including you Auntie Sandra, and think about times in your life when you did something because it was what your mother or family thought was best for you.

Blog business

I dont mess with any of the women on the blog.

Cause they wont be able to handle the aftermath

_________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________

Okay…

Blog business

I dont mess with any of the women on the blog.

Cause they wont be able to handle the aftermath

_________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________

Okay…

_____________________________________________________________________

Soooo… What does that mean? :think:

No thanks… Again…
    Mocha.. :hug: don’t ignore me I just playing

Blog business

I dont mess with any of the women on the blog.

Cause they wont be able to handle the aftermath

_________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________

Okay…

_____________________________________________________________________

Soooo… What does that mean?
    __________________________________________

That means you have absolutely no idea what you getting yourself into… :lol:

Charisma….. Gon get u cut bru.. :shank:

No thanks… Again…
    Mocha.. don’t ignore me I just playing

____________________________________________________________

:hahaha: I know. :hug:

__________________________________________

That means you have absolutely no idea what you getting yourself into…
    ______________________________________________________________________

Why don’t you let me be the judge of that? ;)

asisee says:

“Let’s begin with Newton’s “Lindsey” character. She’s a single mother of one who is down on her luck. Lindsey’s life is spiraling out of control due to her own irresponsible behavior and poor decision making.”
    _______________________________________________________________________

Sandra, I see that somehow you make her circumstances relate to being LSLH. When in reality it didn’t have anything to do with her situation. You somehow left out the fact that she(Thandie-Lindsey) was married and her husband was killed in Iraq. Also the fact that she was in nursing school and she had to stop after her husband was killed. She had to take a job for income. I fell to see how that situation came about as her own fault. Especially since this is an everday occurance that has happened to a lot of people. I fell to see the humor in the fact that you had to bring up or make things seem like the whole movie was about dark skin vs light skin women. Her situatiion happen to people of all colors and nationality. Just sometimes, can we please not make every situation about LSLH.

datsmdubya2u says:

all of these resons why ppl will not see this move. Saw the same post on Red Tails and B4 that on Jumping the Broom…pls support black cinema
    please?

If you can sit thru BBQ wives, Love and Rip-off and The Unreal Housewives of ATL you can sit thru this.

Dats