A New York philanthropist who was hit by a shopping cart tossed from the 4th floor of a shopping center by two 12-year-old boys says she feels sorry for them.

On Oct. 30, 2011, Marion Salmon Hedges, a 47-year-old mother-of-two, was with her 13-year-old son at the East Harlem mall where she went to buy Halloween candy for underprivileged youths. Four floors above her, on an unguarded walkway, 3 boys wrestled with a Target shopping cart.

A surveillance video, released this week by the NY Post, shows what happened next.

In the video, the older boy, who looked to be about 14, is seen repeatedly trying to wrestle the shopping cart away from two younger boys. Finally, the older boy gives up and flees the scene.

The two younger boys then lift the heavy cart over the railing. They didn’t stick around to watch as the cart hurtled four floors to the ground. The cart crashed down on Hedges’ head at about 5:40 p.m. that Sunday. The two thugs would later tell a judge they didn’t realize Hedges was in the path of the shopping cart as it fell.

Hedges was hospitalized in critical condition on Oct. 30, 2011. Her prognosis was “awful” according to her husband who visited her in the ICU in the weeks following the incident. At the time, he told reporters, Hedges had “months” of physical rehab ahead of her.

Hedges has recovered from her horrific injuries which left her blind in one eye and permanent nerve damage that affects her walking.

Despite her life-threatening ordeal, Hedges, who works as a real estate agent, holds no animosity toward her attackers. “I haven’t heard from them, but I wish them well,” she told reporters outside her NY townhouse this week. “I feel sorry for them,” she said.

The two boys who injured Hedges pleaded guilty. One of the boys, who turned 13, was sent to a group home. The other boy was placed in a foster home.

Hedges’ father is angry that the boys punishment wasn’t more severe. “My view is that what have these young thugs learned from this experience?,” said Marc Salmon. “That they can be thugs and get away with this, and that’s a sad commentary,” he added.

115 Responses to “Caught On Video: the moment woman is hit by shopping cart dropped 4 floors by two 12-year-old boys”

for some reason I can’t watch the vid….but this story is very sad!

Vanguard Reese says:

I don’t want to watch this video. But I remember when this happened. Im sick of the system letting this cold blooded people off just because they’re “young”. If they are doing such malicious things at such a young age. What are they going to be doing by the time they’re 18?

lovezoe says:

Heard when it first happened.disgusting what happened. Should have been stricter punishment. 13 is old enough to know not do something do heinous.

@Sandra

:waves: Is that you blogging or are these posts coming from a representative of the White House?

I really was just logging in to check and make sure the men in black hadn’t came and swooped you off to some exiled country…..yet. :coffee:

Glad you’re alright though, Sandra! :hug:

GeminEyez says:

Wow, this is the first Im hearing of this and its def sad. Im glad, even with her serious injuries, that she is able to not speak ill of those boys. Im sure she went through days of anger and resentment but it takes a strong person to show restraint. I dont know what I would say or how I would feel if I ended up blind in one eye, nerve damage and months of rehab just because two kids decide they want to throw a shopping cart..smh

Cocoabana says:

I am not watching this sh*t either, whst would possess them to think this was okay to do?

PAHairston says:

Hello family. Unrelated comment but please, please read and respond accordingly. I just can’t seem to get Trayvon Martin out my head. (what if he were your son, your only child?) Family, take a stand, go to change.org and sign the petition to arrest this slime they call Zimmerman for the senseless murder of this young man. (what hispanic is named Zimmerman, sounds jewish to me, his father is a judge) this petitionis the first one listed and folks are signing it, thousands a minute. Keep the momentum kigoing, sign this important petition. Better yet, email the chief of Sanford police (Bill.Lee@sanfordfl.gov) and demand to know why justice has not been served. (ive alreday sent about 100 messages to him) Don’t let the death of this handsome, bright-eyed boy be in vain. We call ourselves Christians? Then take a stand, TODAY! Love you family. Peace.

The Makeup Maven says:

I remember this story and they had her on the Today Show. This was really sad. :(

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

I wonder if these kids can be sued when they reach 18? Or even now?

I’d honestly keep them broke, poor and destitute for the rest of their lives. Although honestly, with one in a group home and the other in a foster home….that’s probably already the path of their future anyway.

What were the boys doing at the target? Were they there with parents or what? Who was their primary caregivers at the time this happened? Why haven’t they been hit with a civil suit?

“the moment woman is hit” is that a typo ?..
    should it have been “the moment when woman is hit” iono it’s a little early for me.. :shakebutt:

MrUnapologetic says:

what idiots!

Cocoabana says:

Nevermind, I watched it and WOW.

Sassy! Muthaf**king, Sassy! says:

And I’m sorry, but what stuoid, simple, slow or mentally retarded teenager doesn’t know that throwing something off of a roof/higher platform several stories above where people would be walking through an entryway wouldn’t cause somebody to get hit by whatever was thrown.

My nephew is 8 and he knows not to throw stuff from higher plains because “you gon’ die if it hits your head.”

Are the two kids slow?

… What is this sad world we live in coming too. When I was that age, I was to busy doing death defying stunts on my bike and roller blades,.. I still have the scars to prove it. I was a bad butt when I was younger, but I wasn’t some azzhole like those kids were.

something tells me these kids have been abused. Just a hunch…

I Run New York says:

What a sick act. Hopefully, they will be made an example out of so people will stop thinking this behavior is no big deal and just boys being boys. Also what where two 12 year olds doing being out unsupervised. Hopefully the parents will be brought up on charges as well. Such a shame this women is deformed for the rest of her life due to sick children that have received no type of home training from their parents. SMH

@Ryan

Did you ever get in contact with the hiring manager who called while you were in the store yesterday? Was she able to reschuedule your interview?

sexyphillygirl says:

Good Morning. Not watching the video. We need tougher laws. At 12 you know right from wrong, this woman life was changed and these kids got a slap on the wrist.

@PA

I got that email address to Chief Bill Lee last night from another blog. I am actually contemplating sending emails to him all day long that read:

“Trayvon Martin.”

“Trayvon Martin.”

“Trayvon Martin.”

Mister is a certified “ethical hacker,” I wonder if he knows how to set up a spam-bot or something that could do that Chief Bill Lee from at least 5000 accounts.

I want this sh*t to haunt his every waking moment. Maybe he’ll off himself as well.

lovezoe says:

There was another boy who tried to take the cart away. He left. She was getting Halloween candy for the underprivileged kids in the neighborhood. These kids thought it would be funny. Could have killed her,wonder what the charges would ave been then.

Ace says:

*waits for auntie to to tie Obama to this*

EB says:

Them kids need their azz beat :mad:

saw this sht this mornin. TURRIBLE! thank God the young man had the courage to get help & the woman pulled thru. this could’ve had an entirely different outcome.

GM Auntie :waves:

Vanguard Reese says:

@Sassy, no some things came up after I left work yesterday.

:think:
    Haven’t the kids already plead guilty and been sentenced? What’s the point of releasing the video now?

MsOnederful says:

Good Morning guys! :waves:

Hey @sexyphillygurl..how is philly radio with out Jonesy? You still listen to mutha knows? I have not listened since Jones has been canned. You know your my only direct connect to Ila Dell! ;) lol. Thanks

@Man

CD FENTY says:

This is soooo sad.

Goodmorning Errbody :waves:

It’s New York kids are unsupervised all the time…I’m sure the parents were either at work or not concerned with what their kids were doing….

It’s a shame but most kids just don’t give a fck what anyone has to say

There’s no fear
    No discipline in their lives….

sexyphillygirl says:

Hey MissOne, I barely listen anymore, Mother Knows erks my soul with his/her voice lol. I think Jonesy has a website now but I havent checked it out.

Cocoabana says:

MsOnederful says:

Good Morning guys!

Hey @sexyphillygurl..how is philly radio with out Jonesy? You still listen to mutha knows? I have not listened since Jones has been canned. You know your my only direct connect to Ila Dell! lol. Thanks

——–

Jonesy was still on the radio? After she got booted off NY radio I forgot about her.

MsOnederful says:

@Sass the latest i am hearing is the District attorney’s office is contemplating pressing charges, with new evidence that was released this morning. Trayvonn was on the phone a girlfriend telling her he was being followed and she heard the zimmerman guy confront him. Then the phone went dead. :no:

If a black man kills a white boy in the hood today or tomorrow in florida and he has a license to carry a concealed weapon and kills him because he was in the hood and looked suspicious he BET NOT get charged with NATHAN!

Sassy :cheer:
    MsOne :waves:
    VanRyand :yes: <—bruh man head nod

@PA, already done. gonna email my contacts today to have them sign as well

FBI looking to charge it as a Hate crime :coffee:

GeminEyez says:

They knew exactly what they were doing. How could you not know the possibility of someone getting hurt with that cart, isnt that the reason they threw it over? It was to hurt someone, Im sure just hearing a loud bang wasnt enough for them

MsOnederful says:

Thanks @sexyphilly @cocoabana yep she was on the air for 2 years on power 99 philly. I loved to listen her eat bbq wives and the rest of dem shows up on her show the next day.. I miss her dearly. She’s a friend of the blog.

@MsOne

Jones hating azz has been canned again. That bish can’t keep a radio job for NOTHING!! All that random hating on chicks with actual talent and clothes that fit must have finally caught up with her.

FoxE says:

Since the boys were minors, if she wanted to she could sue the parents.. I mean parents are ultimately responsible for their minor children.

MsOnederful says:

:waves: fayla hey baby cakes!

Cocoabana says:

Fayla, it should be a hate crime, simply because he approached this man based on his skin color.

@Onderful, only 2 years? I felt like it had been longer.

lovezoe says:

She is suing the shopping center for pack of better security. N

PrytiBrownIs says:

Morning everybody….im just stiiting here amazed that they would even attempt this. WHY? I do think the punishment shoudlve been stricter. if youwatch the video, first they fight with they older kid when he tries to stop them. Then they flip it over and it gets stuck so he doubles back to push it again. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

Starts at home with the parents!!!! I can only imagine what they do at home…or what they see….

@Fayla
    :waves:

@MsOne
    Really? Wait…the police didnt know that he was on the phone with someone about a month ago? Why is this just coming out? And it IS a hate crime. He should be charged with a hate crime AND murder.

And everybody involved in investigating this case down in Sanford should be removed and the Chief, Lee, should be charged as well.

Everybody gotta go!

Phrozen1der says:

*sigh* People do some really dumb *isht…..

sexyphillygirl says:

lol wow she on the same website with Star and Buck wild, I guess thats where all the radio hosts go when they messed up with clear channel.

I Run New York says:

“To educate people like Sandra on exactly why some kids need their azzes kicked…..repeatedly!”

Cosign Sassy. The public needs to see what was done to this woman.

Phrozen1der says:

I would NEVER do any stupid crap like that forget the police,I was afraid of what Mama Phroze was going to do, and STILL am!…. :crying:

GAGIRL87 says:

I just feel so sick when I think of our youth these kids nowadays have no value of life period it’s just sad :no:

sexyphillygirl says:

The sad part is these kids have no conscience of what they are doing, they dont care some of them think its cool to get locked up , what kind of crap is that?!?!?!

PrytiBrownIs says:

@Fox right. The parent should be sued. With them being place din a group hom and foster home leads me to believe they were already wards of the state though.

Vanguard Reese says:

Excuse my manners.. Good morning, everyone!!!!

:yes: <—headnod to FayFay

Eazy says:

Good Morning everyone :waves:

The Makeup Maven says:

Frenchie, Phro, I Run, SessyPhilly, SASSY, Pryti, MsOne, FoxE & GeminEyez :hug:

The Makeup Maven says:

Eazy :hug:

sexyphillygirl says:

Morning everybody that I came in after me.

Morning Tatted *hugs*

Morning Sassy, Phrozen, Eazy, Pryti, MsOne, Vanguard! :waves:

sexyphillygirl says:

Tatted thats a cute pic love the hair. Why one of my coworkers just walk up to me and say you look different your hair is longer I said yup it sure is and walked away smh, big dummy.

The Makeup Maven says:

Ryan :hug:

Phrozen1der says:

@Maven @Feline Morning! :waves:

lovezoe says:

Ok watched the rest of Lala show, don’t think she secure as she says she is.

PrytiBrownIs says:

@lovezoe nope!!! Shes pretending she ok with her man goin to strip club…shes not….shes pretending that she never thought that girl would do nothing with melo…she is…if you were sooo secure you wouldnt have felt the need to ask

Morning everyone! :waves:

:hug: @ Eazy, Tatted, Fefe, SexyPhilly!

I’ma be in and out today. Working from home so I’m tryna chit-chat with ya’ll, do some actually work, and online shop at the same time.

Then once the RHOA & BBWs posts go up, I got to try to watch them, talk to ya’ll, do some work & shop at the same time.

Got a busy day ahead.

The Makeup Maven says:

@ SessyPhilly – Oh, thank you. I appreciate the compliment. Sooo, are you saying that we sort’ve look alike?? :thinking:

MsOnederful says:

@Sass yea thank god he was on the phone with that young girl! This was a cold blooded murder.. oh and the latest FULL 911 call was released and zimmerman called him a COON SMFH. They better get this guy of the skreetz cuz………..this is bad!

Bootcampgirl says:

These kids’ behavior was atrocious. The sad thing is that juveniles for the most part get slaps on the wrist because the system feels like they can be rehabilitated, while I agreee some can, some can’t. This is the exact reason why I see so many 19/20 year old’s in my facility, all with a stint in the juvenile system…

CD FENTY says:

So I guess I didnt speak to everyone ass 20 minutes ago. :rolleyes:

Eazy says:

:hugs: Tatted, Sassy, Fefe :hugs:
    Where Lakes been hiding ya’ll?

@Pryti

Lala bothers me being so fake sometimes. We all know she got a problem with Melo trolloping around town with any young coochie that’ll hsve him. Why not just own up to it, confront Melo and let it be known that she will turn soe sh*t out like she really wants to?

Couldn’t be me. I am not good at hiding certain emotions well. Pure unadulterated rage is the one I’m WORST at hiding.

lovezoe says:

CD :heart: Charge it to my head and not my heart

lol @ Sassy

Girl you sound like me…that’s my typical work day, only difference is I’m not lucky enough to be able to work from home! :lol:

Vanguard Reese says:

I can’t bring myself to listen to the 911 calls. It’s just a sad situation through and through and I’ve lost even more respect for America’s “justice” system.

FoxE says:

:waves: Morning folks!

lovezoe says:

@Sassy- :cosign: I hold NADA in with hubby. I’m not walking around with a tight chest because I won’t express myself.

Phrozen1der says:

:waves: @CD :lol:

CD FENTY says:

:hugs: Love & Easy

ohpretty1 says:

ALL children need structure in their lives, some even need their asses whooped. These kids lack both, clearly. SMH

@MsOne
    Wow…. see. I told ya’ll waiting for the DOJ was too fair. Drag his azz out on a lwan and execute him and let it be done with.

@Eazy
    Lakes was just in here yesterday. She’s probably at work listening to some musicless headphones.

@CD
    :waves: I’m sorry!! How are ya? You get them pills back? Is your steering wheel okay? Did your mama punish you? Your cousin out a restrainingorder out on you?

Yeah, I know how that sh*t be sometimes, homie. :hug:

Vanguard Reese says:

On the subject of LaLa and Melo’s marriage. I’m not married but I always thought apart of being married was the ability to have open dialogue with each other and being able to voice concerns respectfully and honestly.

CD FENTY says:

:waves: Phro

FoxE says:

@bootcamp,

I agree only those who wanna get out & change will. But when u have juveniles in the system & the support they thought they had disappears! They just don’t give a fuk anymore.. Sad but true…

CD FENTY says:

@Fe
    Hola :rolleyes:

@Dougie
    Actually me and her got into a fight last night. Now my mom is questioning me like I have “roid rage” :rolleyes:

sexyphillygirl says:

Morning Feline and Sassy *hugs*.

@Fefe
    Multi-tasking at its best, right? :lol:

@LoveZoe
    Girl… I don’t hold nothing in just because I CAN’T. I’ve tried and failed miserably. Ain’t nothing like being mad as hell and can’t express it. My face be turning red, my hands be shaking, I be breaking out in cold sweats, face be tight as hell.

I just say: “fukk it” and let it out now. Ain’t finna sit here and be uncomfortable and sh*t trying to preserve some muhfukka’s “peace.” :nono:

The Makeup Maven says:

CD & OhPretty (long time no see) :hug:

Bootcampgirl says:

:offtopic: sort of

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Supreme Court is considering another step toward differentiating between children and adults when it comes to prison sentences as it debates whether juveniles should be eligible for life sentences without parole for homicide-related crimes.

The court recently has moved toward not allowing juveniles to be sentenced to the worst adult punishments. In 2005, justices said juveniles cannot be sentenced to the death penalty. In 2010, the justices said they could not be sentenced to life in prison without parole for non-homicide crimes

The cases Tuesday involve Evan James Miller, who was 14 when he left a man to die in a burning trailer to steal his baseball card collection and $350. Kuntrell Jackson was 14 when he and his friends robbed and fatally shot a video store clerk.
    _______________________________________________________________
    I’m sorry but if you have no regard for human life at 14 years old, you will not have it when you are older…

Sad :coffee: I am still keeping our children lifted in prayer.. cant see da video from my phone

@CD
    You got into a fight with her. REALLY?!

Awwwwwww!!!

:popcorn: So who won, though?

CD FENTY says:

Tatted :hugs:

sexyphillygirl says:

@CD-wow sorry to hear about your fight, were you close with your cousin?

@Bootcamp

1. Those kids should get life without possibility of parole.

2. What ignorant bish named her child “Kunt-rell?”

REALLY?! Sentence his simple azz mama with him.

ohpretty1 says:

Hey @Tatted. Ready for birthday time? I am!!

PrytiBrownIs says:

@Pryti

___________________________________
    hun-KNEEE rage is what im best at!!! My not giving a fcukness is right behind it lol She’s alot older than him too. I think shes scared of raising too much hell n ending up just another divorced Basketball Wife. The media would have a field day with that. As long as they were engaged before getting married and all that mess shes talked bout them BBW…she gotta stay married!!!

Shuga Honey says:

i refuse to watch that video. some information you just dont need.

i go to that shopping plaza all the time (was just there yesterday) and almost everyone looks up to make sure nothing is falling from the upper levels. they do have security on every level now so thats good but i still think the railings are way too low. i always thought someone would fall, jump or get pushed over before someone would throw something over.

GeminEyez says:

Vanguard Reese says:

*****************

Its a show geared towards getting ratings, dont read too much into what you see. I am married and I know all marriages arent like mine but communication should always be present….. LaLa has to make her show interesting and add “spice” to some stuff. She wasnt going to fire that girl

Vanguard Reese says:

@GeminEyez, I’ve watched LaLa’s show maybe once or twice. I just can’t get into these “reality” shows. But from what I’ve seen with most of these type of shows it usually ends with divorce for the couples in real life.

CD FENTY says:

:hugs: Pryti

@Dougie
    Girl I actually calmed down when I left work I was still pissed off at her stealing my chit but I chalked it up as a wash and just said I was done fukking with her like that. Why in the hell did this bytch come to my house banging on my door. From that point on a bytch was in survival mode u show up to my house and my babies here. Oh no bytch we dont that. I opened the door and immediately starting punching her ass in her cheeseburger belly, grabbing her hair all type of ignorant chit and then she hit me in my chest with her fat fist and stopped my heart for about 2 minutes when I came to my son had told her to get the hell outta our house before he slap the chit outta her. After she left I put him on punishment for cussing :dead:

sexyphillygirl says:

I never watched La La show, her voice puts me to sleep and yes all of these shows are about ratings if you wanna sell your soul they have a price for that.

Everyone, please mail a bag of Skittles to Police Chief Bill Lee, at Sanford Police Station 815 West 13th Street Sanford, Fl 32771. The Skittles bag can be empty or full. You can mail as many SKittles bags as you want. I’m also mailing him a can of Arizona iced Tea so he can know what Trayvon was carrying in those moments before he died at the hands of a racist cop wannabe.

GeminEyez says:

Vanguard Reese

Everything is about perception and being able to relate to your audience. Women do go through those issues so of course their going to “act” it out. She has to be able to sell us the fact that she is just like an everyday woman. Reality tv is all an Art of Psychology.

Vanguard Reese says:

GeminEyez says:

Vanguard Reese

—– :cosign: That’s what I know, that why I’m weary of watching these shows. I have enough drama in my day to day life, I don’t need any extra.

sexyphillygirl says:

@Sandra Rose-will be going to the supermarket today and mailing them tonight, Ill also post this on my facebook page, thanks

@Gemini-so true nothing on “reality” tv is reality lol

Shuga Honey says:

the boys werent wards of the state. they lived in the projects right around the way. i think wagner. 12 is old enough to be outside on your own but halloween/halloween eve is a notorious day for kids doing something awful.

if you know you have bad kids—and evrybody in their schools & around the way already KNEW they were bad kids—then you keep them in the house that day. before their names/pix were released ppl jumped on the “wild black kids” bandwagon and come to find out they are hispanic which most of east harlem is.

Shuga Honey says:

Vanguard Reese says:

girl thats what they were going to do anyways (get divorced). nowadays it seems like the best part of a marriage is the divorce :rofl: they having parties and cakes for it and everything. sh*ts crazy.

Shuga Honey says:

CD FENTY says:

Pryti

@Dougie
    ____________________________

well hell, with all that working out yall dont need no diet pills. thats good cardio! :thumbsup:

GeminEyez says:

CD FENTY says:

Pryti

@Dougie
    ************************************

THIS REALLY MADE ME LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeminEyez says:

Vanguard Reese

Exactly, its just the new wave of entertainment that replaced soap operas and other forms of mild ratchetness. lol

One boy sent to a group home the other one foster care… What typ of punishment would you expect for 12 year olds? The death penalty? :/ and like someone else said what was the point releasing the videos now???? We have terrible even worse things happening everyday. We get the message. its bad out here and our youth need help. All of them.

I Run New York says:

WTF? These sick creatures got 6 to 8 months for partially blinding someone? This is ridiculous.

trenee says:

So she and her family have to pay not only financially, but emotionally for the rest of their life? that’s not cool. I couldn’t watch, but that’s just not right!