Medical Minute: Brain Tumor (Benign and Malignant)

Breast cancer survivor Sheryl Crow was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor after experiencing memory problems.

Crow, 50, said she grew concerned when she forgot the lyrics to one of her songs onstage.

“I was worried about my memory so much that I went and got an MRI. And I found out I have a brain tumour,” Sheryl told Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The Grammy award winner, who was serenaded by Rihanna at a recent breast cancer benefit, told her audience “I’m 50, what can I say? My brain’s gone to s–t.”

Crow will not require surgery.

A benign tumor is a mass of tissue that lacks the ability to spread throughout the body (metastasize).

Brain cancer or brain tumor is an abnormal collection of cells that divides rapidly within the cranial cavity. Not all brain tumors are cancerous. Brain tumors can be benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous growth which spreads rapidly).

Even though benign brain tumors are noncancerous they can still cause significant health problems depending on their size and location.

Metastatic brain cancer begins elsewhere in the body and spreads to the brain. A malignant primary brain tumor is a cancerous tumor which originates in the brain.

Brain cancer can form in the brain itself, in the lining of the brain (meninges) or in the spinal cord.

Cause of brain tumors

There is no known cause of brain tumors. But people who are exposed to radiation for prolonged periods of time are at higher risk for brain cancer. Also, the rate of brain cancer increases in people over 65.

Signs and symptoms

• Headaches or migraines
  • Seizures
  • Changes in speech or hearing
  • Visual problems (blurred vision, double vision)
  • Balance problems
  • Difficulty walking
  • Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
  • Memory problems
  • Personality changes
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Weakness or paralysis in one part of the body
  • Don’t assume you have a brain tumor if you experience any of the above symptoms. They can be caused by other medical disorders. Always consult with your physician or go to the emergency room if you experience these signs and symptoms.

Diagnosis

Your doctor will ask you questions such as how long you have experienced these symptoms. He or she will take your family history. Then you will undergo a physical exam and a neurological exam. Depending on the results of those exams, your doctor will order diagnostic tests including a CT (CAT) scan or MRI to see images of your brain.

An Angiogram involves injecting dye into your blood vessels and taking X-rays of your brain to look for signs of blockage.

A spinal tap is performed under local anesthetic. The doctor uses a needle to withdraw cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from your lower back. The spinal fluid is sent to a lab to test for cancer cells.

If a tumor is discovered in your brain, your doctor will take a biopsy of the tumor either during surgery or with a needle through a small hole drilled into your skull. The biopsy sample is sent to a lab to test for cancer cells.

Treatment

Surgery is the first option to remove the tumor. If the tumor can’t be removed due to its size or location, radiation therapy or chemotherapy are alternative options to shrink the tumor. If the tumor is removed successfully during surgery, your doctor may begin radiation or chemotherapy to kill the remaining cancer cells.

This has been your Medical Minute.

Info On the Web

Brain Tumor – Mayo Clinic

Brain Tumors (Benign and malignant) – WebMD

National Brain Tumor Society – Tumor.org

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

• Medical Minute: Cancer of the Esophagus
  • Medical Minute: Postpartum Depression
  • Medical Minute: Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism
  • Medical Minute: Male Menopause

32 Responses to “Medical Minute: Brain Tumor (Benign and Malignant)”

lovezoe says:

Going back downstairs…

I need to stop standing in front of microwaves…

yallcrazy says:

Good! Go to the Dr. if you don’t feel good folks! :yes: #gototwoorthree

:pigsfly: And I’m off…to see what’s brewing downstairs…

This is good info :coffee: thanks Auntie !

NaijaGal says:

DAMN :no: :no:

yallcrazy says:

Fi, you know they’re been saying that since we were young :rofl:

<–backs away from it (still) :lol:

gypsyeyes says:

I heard this story this morning on the radio. She is in very good spirits inspite of the situation!

@Smurfette

IKR! I know folks who swear by it!! :yes:

BabyBoyBlu says:

@ FeFe :rofl:

mrsloveleigh says:

God Bless Sheryl. She’s a great woman with small children

gypsyeyes says:

Listening to Biz Markie and how in the hell did he make it in the wrapping world?

69 says:

Good Morning

:waves: <— Alice's notification of termination

It ain't official yet, but caught wind that it's about to be a wrap most likely on Friday. Damn shame she is in this situation but it is what it is.

What else we talmbout :popcorn:

69 says:

Damn, I meant Debbie’s termination notice

69 says:

I just posted three times in a row and no one else is in here. :waiting::kona:

yallcrazy says:

Is that Blu in 11?
      ============
      Fi, I do that and I hold my breath when I ride past factories, almost die from no air, but in my mind I’m keeping out the poison djm :lol:

————————-
      Screwball, I saw that and :dead:

69 says:

Y’all :hug:

Ms.kaylamomma says:

That’s sad news but she will be fine. She fought breast cancer and won.

Usual Suspect says:

@69 – Please give a re-cap. Who said they was tired of this CHITTTTTTT? Is that who’s getting fired?

Usual Suspect says:

May God Bless and continue to substain and keep her.

Thanks for the Medical Minute – Now I think I got freaking brain tumor. :smack:

hell_on_heels says:

I appreciate this information……good morning SR family:-). And hi Auntie!!! S/N, I can’t seem to figure out what the heck they put in this White Mocha from Starbucks….but I’ve been addicted for like 9 years strong:-(.

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

just go get u a lil Pure HEMP OIL and drink it all day its thick like oil, and you will be O.k. :coffee:

lisaROSE says:

bless her

LadeeA says:

So scary… There was this lady at my church who recently died from cancer. She gave me a book about juicing and other things. However, she used to always tell me that I shouldn’t sleep with my cell phone nor house phone base next to my bed. Major radiation. Nor sit in my car with the windows rolled up with the cell phone near me.

It’s like no matter what you do, the good Lord still got our day and time stamped.

OAN Going back downstairs, don’t wanna talk about sad stuff.

Thanks Sandra for this medical minute and @ Fe I threw my microwave out 5 years ago and hasnt bought one since my food taste like chit after I put in the microwaves #Kids have adjusted :grin:

@69
      Alice is the one who mentioned her hubby cheating :hahaha:

missmiami says:

:clap: bless her heart for remaining positive through it all.

kamadiva says:

My Grammy had a benign brain tumor removed after traveling and experiencing signs of a stroke. The Neurologist stated that the pressure from the plane caused her brain and the tumor to conflict as the pathology on the tumor stated that it had been there 15-20 years! Luckily (and THANK GOD), it was not cancerous or attached to her brain, was attached to scar tissue surrounding the brain.

Trucie says:

I swear this is what sets SandraRose apart from other mindless blogs. LOL I luv these medical minutes. So in between keeping up with celebrity drama, we actually get to learn something.

Daisy says:

My Aunt has the same thing and it affects her memory and muscles in her legs sometimes. They did a procedure to shrink it but it started growing back :-(