Politician asks judge to ‘go easy’ on anti-gay attackers

Remember Brandon White, the effeminate, skinny jeans-wearing Atlanta man who was assaulted by a gang of thugs on Feb. 4? The 3 gang members who brutally beat White, and videotaped their actions, were slapped with 5-year prison sentences on Friday. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Jackson Bedford also sentenced the thugs to 5 years probation each.

According to the AJC, a fourth suspect, Javaris Bradford, 24, who allegedly videotaped the beating, is still on the lam.

The crime made headlines worldwide because of the media attention on anti-gay bullying. (White, 20, is an out and proud gay man.)

But in a strange twist, several local gay activists wrote a letter to the judge asking for leniency for the 3 men.

Project Q Atlanta published the letter which was signed by local politician, state Rep. Simone Bell, who is an out and proud lesbian. Ms. Bell asked the judge to release the convicted men on probation — so two of them could finish high school.

An excerpt from the letter reads:

“Our primary interest is seeing an end to the homophobia that seems to have been a dominant factor in the attack on Mr. White. We do not believe that this will be accomplished by a long sentence of imprisonment….

We believe that the time each of these young men has already spent behind bars has been a significant loss of freedom. We ask that any additional term of imprisonment you impose be probated…”

On the face of it, the letter seems to be a puzzling request coming from the same gay rights organization rallied for justice and called for the arrests of the men who violated White’s civil rights.

Bell also asked requested that the men be allowed to complete their high school educations or their G.E.Ds., so that they might “move their lives in a positive direction that can ultimately serve their community.”

• Woman says she was raped by strippers at gay club
  • Did Frank Ocean Write Beyonce’s “I Miss You” for Kanye West?
  • Sorry, ladies, Frank Ocean is gay
  • Anderson Cooper: “The fact is I’m gay”

125 Responses to “Politician asks judge to ‘go easy’ on anti-gay attackers”

Cocoabana says:

Sh*t, they got more time than a murderer would receive.

Bad Influence says:

:no:

kingstonn says:

cocoa! :hug:

but just 5 years? hm. okay.

Redeemed777 says:

God uses one evil to destroy another evil, and at the end of it all, if the first evil ( provided the person is an Israelite ) does not repent, then he/she will destroyed too!

Cocoabana says:

hey Kingstonn! I am honestly shocked by the amount of time they received.

Redeemed777 says:

If this dude does not repent, he will still end up dead one of these days.

I’m going to really try to cut down my blog cursing. I will just say that these young men probably ain’t thinking about finishing high school nor moving in a positive direction in their lives. And who is this group/woman to think their feelings should carry more weight than the victim’s? Will she/they adopt/mentor these young men so that they can be steered in the right direction? You know, away from jumping someone for any reason let alone solely because someone is gay?

Anna says:

They can finish high school in jail.

What Bird said!!!

Phrozen1der says:

But I thought it came out later that he had lied,and was taunting them?? Is that the truth??

candibfly says:

they have facebook pages in jail, why can’t they attend everest online in jail? :shrugs:

:rollseyes: maybe i shall come back later. i’m not feeling the anti-gay bashing in the name of the lawdt this moanin :nono:

They should have went “easy” the day they decided to attack someone

Anna says:

Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:) says:

~~~~~~~
      :wave: I have a bargaining tool for my Grand. Yesterday she said “Gannie, I want some Whip”. I told her she had to take a bubble bath first. :lol:

Phrozen1der says:

“When will homosexuals realize and understand that the evil they face is judgement from God?” <——Sooooooooo only the gays need to realize this?? What about Adulterers,Bigots,Pedophiles,Judgemental people etc?? :no:

Rolo says:

I think they deserved the time they got. Even if the boy was taunting them he didn’t deserve to be beat like that. Have fun in prison.

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

:no: THIS POST HERE IS NOT A HAPPY POST LATERZ :kona:

free says:

they can finish high school in jail or when they get out. i doubt that’s their first priority. i think the amount of time was appropriate because of the aggravating circumstances. so, if you attack a person because of their race or sexual affiliation, you will get some time added.

Phrozen…

I’m glad u have the energy bc REALLY…if that ain’t the pot

Carrington says:

If you take it easy on these clowns, then they should take it easy on George Zimmerman – not!

I STILL say there is more to this story. I suspect these dudes were more than casual acquaintances with this queen, and I suspect he started gum flappin and they beat him into silence.

I also believe they would rather get convicted of a hate crime than to admit to gettin a late night hit from a dude.

Good luck going to jail hating the gays because your uniform blouse will be tied in a knot and you will be braiding hair and ironing grilled cheese sandwiches real soon.

Phrozen1der says:

@Therapist That comment was just dumb as hell,I couldn’t resist…. SMH..

Redeemed777 says:

@Phrozen1der

Dem too!

Phrozen1der says:

:coffee: that's all i'm saying PhroBro

Anna :lol: that is too funny girl! not the bargaining tool!?!? :lol:
      #hilare

I am sorry but that photo is just :no:

candibfly says:

how old are the other dudes? if they’re over 18 and don’t have a diploma they weren’t thinking about school or graduating to begin with. don’t use the excuse now. :no:

@Carrington I’m inclined to agree with you bruh.. :yes:

Carrington….lol how u know dude a queen tho?

Mojo says:

@candibfly I agree…They should have thought abt that ish before they attacked!!

Phrozen1der says:

@Redeemed Well then you need to edit your post to include them all #PleaseandThanks One sin is not greater than the other…

Phrozen1der says:

I heard he the gay guy threatened to expose one of the guys being on the DL :thinking:

Redeemed777 says:

@@Phrozen1der

Remember one evil to take out the other evil.

He can use an adulterer to kill a homosexual, and then use a white man to kill the adulterer, and then He kills the white man.

You gotta understand the ways of the Lord, because if not your emotions & leaning on your own understanding will have you messed up in the brain.

*flips thru Sunday’s notes on sinning and forgiveness*

Da hell u in here teaching Redeem? See the good Lord also teaches us about false prophets

Redeemed777 says:

@@Phrozen1der

Remember one evil to take out the other evil.

:tea: :no:

*peeks over top of glasses at candi’s notes*

Carrington says:

Really @ Redeemed?

It’s interesting that people will go to great lengths to point to the evils of The Gays, but oftentimes, they’re the main ones with three out of wedlock kids with two baby daddies, who lie, steal from work, take their homegirls to pick up some money from the married man she’s cheating with, and on and on, but for some reason.,. How bout them gays, huh? SMH

I don’t give a flyin fukk WHO u boinking, if I ain’t in that number, it doesn’t affect me. I’ve got too many issues of my own to reconcile at my dying hour than to be self righteous as fukk and pretend like my sun is better than yours.

@Jenie That’s what I heard as well… :yes:

@Redeemed So let me get this right,you saying GOD be killing people?? Lean not on your own understanding might be true but from what I was taught GOD does NOT harm his children but he will “allow” certain things to come to pass if you don’t heed his words…. :nono:

*flips thru Sunday’s notes on sinning and forgiveness*

Right :hahaha:

Natasha38 says:

Good Morning Everyone :waves:

Redeemed777 says:

God will only forgive you, when you are truly repenting. If you keep doing the same thing over and over then this verse is for you:

” Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.”

JOHN 9:31

@Therapist Thank GOD for knowing him for MYSELF and not being a fool… :coffee:

in other news my daughter is leaving me today to join her husband :crying:

she will be over 1200 miles away. i’m so bummed out :crying:

Frozen u quoting that good ole Psalms

Bella's Master says:

:typing: *goes to look up “effeminate” before proceeding to read post*

Natasha38 says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:applause:

I can not believe that Redeemed still get the fonts boiling in here :tea: You would think we would be use to the nonsense by now. But honestly @Redeemed sometimes u can be right on point but majority of the time, the crap gets to be :deadhorse:

NaijaGal says:

:yawn: …still looking for Friday

@Therapist ;)

@Bella :hahaha: Logoff and don’t come back while you’re at it…

ItsIce says:

Morning folks :popcorn:

So does he hear the sinner when he repents?

U know what…never mind I can’t with this stupidity

Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:) says:

in other news my daughter is leaving me today to join her husband :crying:

she will be over 1200 miles away. i’m so bummed out :crying:

Awww Fay Fasy :hug:

@Jenie :lol:

:hahaha: @ bella

@fayla least she got a husband *wall slides* :crying:

Right on point….I guess

marquez269 says:

Good Morning Everybody!

:kona:

:think: @Redeemed so when a person has plastic surgery like say..MJ..in heaven does he look like ole MJ or new MJ??

:waiting:

Redeemed777 says:

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

ISAIAH 1:15

Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:) says:

:waiting:

Whats this about MJ :karate:

Bella's Master says:

@Phro :biggrin:

Jenie hole me! :hug:

Candi :rofl: i’m sorry girl yo ass just made me holla! thanks!!!

candibfly says:

i think MJ gon look like how he did on the Thriller album. He was fione then :yahoo:

Bella's Master says:

@Redeemed -

If I get married, but still engage in threesomes with my husband, am I going to hell?

#seriousquestion

Redeemed777 says:

Then shall they cry unto the LORD, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.

MICAH 3:4

:rolleyes: I hate when people try to throw scriptures at ya :no:

:dead: @Bella’s Master

Redeemed yeen see my question tho?? :cool:

candi :danban: <—moonwalk

i think MJ look like that too :yes:

Anna says:

Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:) says:

in other news my daughter is leaving me today to join her husband

she will be over 1200 miles away. i’m so bummed out
      ~~~~~~~
      Sad.

Redeemed777 says:

@Bella’s Master

The Bible didnt say ” the three shall become one flesh ”

Bella's Master says:

@Fayla You think she ignoring our very important questions :shrug:

been crying all weekend. we found out friday night. it doesn’t seem real. no notice. i’m both sad AND pisst! :mad: :cuss: :crying:

Bella's Master says:

@Deemed

Thanks babe…I needed that

KDub says:

————————————–
      :kona: Cause I done rode shotgun AND done been the driver to take BFF to go colleck her money.

Redeemed reminds me of Whoopi in For Colored girls :thinking:

Redeemed?

Were you a virgin when u were married? If u married…

Phrozen1der says:

@Jenie Don’t you,but don’t pay them back on time and they will curse you OWWWWWTTTTTT!!!!! :rofl:

@Bella Foolishness!! :lol:

:hahaha: Jenie that’s BEEN how i’ve picture her :rofl:

Lol @Jenie….she does lol

KDub says:

:danban: <<< MJ's Robot.

Phrozen1der says:

“Redeemed reminds me of Whoopi in For Colored girls” <—– *Grabs keys and heads back home fugg this day* :lol:

marquez269 says:

@Jenie
      Redeemed reminds me of Whoopi in For Colored girls

Repent Repent Repent!!! :rofl:

Bella's Master says:

Redeemed reminds me of those Jehova Witnesses I use to throw eggs at as a young sinful brat

Now I’m just a 30 yr old sinful brat

candibfly says:

didn’t deem say sumn from modern times and we was all like :blink: she i knew u been watchin bet uncut :rofl:

pointhimout says:

nope, eff that. send their dumb asses up the river. they won’t do schit with their lives, trust me. they beat this kid up for no reason other than he’s gay. …So they can get their diplomas or GED’s. :coffee:

@Candi :rofl:

I can just picture with oils and all that crap though :thinking:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

I can not believe that Redeemed still get the fonts boiling in here
      **************************

Chile boo. I skip over her posts 90% of the time. Numero uno reason being she’s either sitting at work stealing The Man’s money by hanging on Sandra Rose just like everyone else when her sanctimonious behind supposed to be working or she’s home sitting on Sandra Rose when she should either be doing some dang housework or looking for a job. I truly give her words zero weight.

Redeemed777 says:

Remember that they mocked Noah too, till the day the doors of the Ark was closed & locked.
      As I have stated in the past, it would behoove some of you ( if not all of you ) to jot down these verses and go read them for yourself plus some.

KDub says:

Redeemed did you NOT see the Good Deacon this past Sat. night for yall “spesha session”?

You are awfully…Biblical on this Monday. More than usual.

Bella's Master says:

ef·fem·i·nate
      [adj. ih-fem-uh-nit; v. ih-fem-uh-neyt]
      (of a man or boy) having traits, tastes, habits, etc., traditionally considered feminine, as softness or delicacy.

Nice use of the word Senorita Rose. However, you didn’t provide enough context clues for me to figure it out on my own :(

NaijaGal says:

Speaking of Michael Jackson anybody see the Black Dynamite cartoon last night?

Redeemed777 says:

July 16, 2012 at 11:22 am
      :ha: :hahaha: just cause

KDub says:

—————————————-
      They also tawked about Jesus.

waterlily_76 says:

candibfly says:

they have facebook pages in jail, why can’t they attend everest online in jail?
      ————-

Say What? Is it really possible for themt to have facebook pages in jail? :blink:

candibfly says:

i saw it splashed all over my twitter but i ain’t know what it was, a cartoon i guess, nigs was crackin up tho

DownBottom says:

@Fay Fay :heart:

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

AWW DAM YALL BROUGHT OUT DEEM DEEM :kona:

DownBottom says:

:smack: @Kdub, @Bird …morning Ladies!! :woohoo:

:dead: @Bird AND KDUB

Naija! :kiss: hola my beauty!

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

DOWN :hug: TIS DRY IN THIS BLOG TUUDAY :shrug:

KDub says:

——————————————
      B/c not all of us have an eBible to cut and paste from like SOME peepa. You are so RIGHT.

i’m out yall..gonna spend this lil bit a time i got left with lil fayfay :peace:

@down :wave: <— tickets for deem's ark

DownBottom says:

Hey, :offtopic: Has any of the fallen ROSES made it back in yet? Sandy has had 50-11 open registrations, though :tea:

Bootcampgirl says:

Good morning ladies and gents :waves:
      And, yes, you can get ANYTHING in jail…

:waves: @DB

:hahaha: @KWall @Jenie

@Redeemed When is the last time you had a fist fight?? #BeHonest :waiting:

KDub says:

Hey folks :wave: << Ripped out Bible page…from Carrie's momma Margaret.

DownBottom says:

LOL @Candi, I gloss over ALL her posts..LOL. @Lakes, yea it is..it may pop off tomorrow after #LHHATL <….I can't wait… :popcorn:

prob Sunday at the church potluck :hahaha:

oh but before i go,

DB :heart: hew sweet thang!

@Redeemed :rules: the peepa NEEDS to know if they gone have deflated tits or perky ones, round noses or pernty ones in heaven nah! :waiting:

KDub says:

@Redeemed When is the last time you had a fist fight?? #BeHonest
      ———————————————–
      Well I dont think the weekly “beatdown” she rec’vs from the Deacon counts…the one where he hits her over the head with the Bible while she…you know.

Lol @ Phro question

He’ll when the last time Redeemed been ****ed gooooood

Bibi says:

Aww hell :kona:

candibfly says:

@down <— tickets for deem's ark

:bye: *clicks on x in upper right-hand corner*

Usual Prime Suspect says:

Good Day People – Just logged in to say that I AM PERFECT -

Never been any of these things

Judgemental, LAIR,UGLY, GOSSIP :coffee:

KDub says:

Lol @ Phro question

Hell when the last time Redeemed been ****ed gooooood
      ——————————————–
      No…DeeDee GOT a mane. TRUST. She is getting it more than ME prolly. I bet ten US American DOLLARS she is a FREAK.

candibfly says:

man forget her, i’m tryin to think of the last time i’ve been :hump: good :waiting: <— Fandice talking since Candi is waiting for marriage

:hahaha: @Candi @KWall @Therapist :rofl:

@Kwall :rofl:

Lmao…..fools! I hope you all repent

Kdub…did u call the black Tammy Swaggart DeeDee

likeCaesar says:

Using religion to justify bigotry is disgusting and a perversion of faith, holiness, and godliness.

#thatisall

Destinee says:

Did they ask Mr. White if he wanted them to go easy on them. It was not done to them, so why are they asking to go easy on the assulters. Would they be asking for them to go easy on them if it was their child? Assult is assult!