Federal Judge Rules Black People Can’t Use N-Word in Workplace

Rob Carmona

A federal judge has ruled that workplace use of the derogatory term ‘nigger’ is illegal, even if uttered by black people.

Brandi Johnson, 38, was awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages in a lawsuit brought against STRIVE agency founder Rob Carmona (pictured above) for calling her the N-word during a taped “four-minute nigger tirade”. Johnson said Carmona was angered over her inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

STRIVE prepares young black people with the tools necessary to enter the workforce. STRIVE’s website notes that the agency has helped nearly 50,000 people find jobs.

From HuffPo:

Johnson, who taped the March 2012 remarks after her complaints about his verbal abuse were disregarded, said she fled to the restroom and cried for 45 minutes.

“I was offended. I was hurt. I felt degraded. I felt disrespected. I was embarrassed,” Johnson testified.

In closing arguments, Johnson’s attorney Marjorie M. Sharpe said Carmona’s use of the word was intended to offend “and any evidence that defendants put forth to the contrary is simply ridiculous.”

“When you use the word nigger to an African-American, no matter how many alternative definitions that you may try to substitute with the word nigger, that is no different than calling a Hispanic by the worst possible word you can call a Hispanic, calling a homosexual male the worst possible word that you can call a homosexual male,” Sharpe told jurors.

Defense lawyer’s for 61-year-old Carmona said the black man of Puerto Rican descent had a much different upbringing than Johnson. “And Mr. Carmona is himself black, as you yourselves can see,” the defense attorney said.

During his testimony, Carmona said his use of the N-word was uttered out of love for another. He said he might put his arm around a friend and say: “This is my nigger for 30 years.”

“That means my boy, I love him, or whatever,” he said. When asked if he intended love when he called Johnson a nigga, Carmona replied, “Yes, I did.”

“Well, if calling a person a nigger and subjecting them to a hostile work environment is part of STRIVE’s tough love, then STRIVE needs to be reminded that this type of behavior is illegal and cannot be tolerated,” Sharpe said.

76 Responses to “Federal Judge Rules Black People Can’t Use N-Word in Workplace”

The Master Beta :D says:

Good

WHOHURTYOU!?? :tea: says:

Thats nice :facepalm:

Miany says:

dumb bissh we NEVER used that language at work no how…

The Master Beta :D says:

What means one thing to some has a total different meaning to others :shrug:

Acted a **** fool huh? During the **** tirade?

Dizzone :ghost:

But the bigger question is why are they using this language in the work place :no: :tea:

scorpio says:

Good!…Even though the power in the word has been taken away from those who invented it. It still should not be used. It just sounds dumb, when you hear people holding converstions using the word.

Miany says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:
    But the bigger question is why are they using this language in the work place
    ^^ that’s my WHOOOLE point. He shoulda never wasted the courts time with this mess. You were verbally abusive you dummie, and she caught you on tape with it sooooo :shrugs:

“Well, if calling a person a **** and subjecting them to a hostile work environment is part of STRIVE’s tough love, then STRIVE needs to be reminded that this type of behavior is illegal and cannot be tolerated,” Sharpe said.~
    ~
    ~
    But did he use the hard R or ah??

There is a race war brewing :tea: for real …

KyCakes says:

:rofl: @Dub

I myself, like Bernie Mac, prefer Muthaphucka :tea:

But I don’t say either at work….

:tea: Even if I wear my freakum dress you cant call me a **** folk. Nerp. :tea:

Miany says:

@Jenie… gay is the new black and UOENO it.
    I sho wish black folk would organize the fugg outta each other so we can be skrong like the gays…. :rolleyes: but we can’t do that cuz it aint our turn. It’s they turn :sarcasm:

ChanAintShyt says:

@ Jenie, I ain’t see your comment downstairs. :)

ChanAintShyt says:

@ WhoHurtYou

We meet again…..So, uh, where you get that dandy name of yours from? :waiting:

i hate the word. yet i use variants of it from time to time. i been institutionalized!! :crying:

i have yet to be called one by a yt tho :shrug:

it irks my entire SOUL when blks use it in public. #horrified :angry:

Oh a self-identified Puerto Rican Black? ;tape:

#15
    :ghost:

KyCakes says:

Fayla&BrendenSittinInATreeW-H-I-P-P-I-N-GWhipfinity :whip: says:
    i use variants of it from time to time.
    ——————————————————————-

scorpio says:

Imagine if we started using “Wench” then maybe people could see how silly it is to make excuses, doesn’t matter if it is with and “R” or “ah”. A rose by any other name smells just as sweet. Therefore, garbage by any other name, smell just as stink.

jeniefrumdabloc says:

There is a race war brewing :tea: for real

truly! :tea:

Kycakes! :kiss: sup suga?

KyCakes says:

:hi: luVn

IDK.. gay and Black is like not alike. Gay is gay. Black is beautiful. :nun: No, no kidding..Black is different. Everywhere.

Our Black story aint Seal’s Black story. :shrug: Shoot yall heffas be tombout yall aint never had a fist fight. That aint my Black. :no: :lol:

KyCakes says:

scorpio says:

———————————————————————
    Wencha or Wencher

KY :wave: HellURHHH, is that Really Drake in ur Gravie??

Fayla&BrendenSittinInATreeW-H-I-P-P-I-N-GWhipfinity :whip: says:

i have yet to be called one by a yt tho

Me neither Fay , but if it ever happens, I will be forced to pull the reflex card :tea: History will not repeat itself with me

:huh: ok.

Yall gone be hard pressed to police language of an entire ppls. :shrug:

scorpio says:Imagine if we started using “Wench” then maybe people could see how silly it is to make excuses, doesn’t matter if it is with and “R” or “ah”.
    ~
    ~
    Agreed,I was just making jokes, Cause Im NOT SO serrius.

Wencha or Wencher

:hahaha: :eek:

Audacious2 says:

Audacious2 says:From the look on his face, I bet when that judge told him he had to pay Ms. Brandi Johnson $250K, he said…” N**ga Please! Lol!!!!
    :casket:

KyCakes says:

@luVn why yes…Yes it is :lol:

Audacious2 says:

:rofl: :hahaha:

KyCakes says: why yes…Yes it is

ERHHH
    mah
    Gosh

Diva says:

y’all remember this from grade school? I’m not a nigga I’m a negro, when I become a nigga I’ll let you know. :kona:

race war brewing

We need some American Gladiators type chit. :karate: Blacks over here. White over there. If you check other, your ass cant go to war..sowwy :lol: :ashamed: Specially not them Asians. Aint NOBODY got time for that.

scorpio says:

@
    KyCakes says:

scorpio says:

———————————————————————
    Wencha or Wencher
    ————————————————————————

Stop playing. LOL..

:hahaha: :nun:

Jen

guhl, i’v actually played the scenario out in my head a few times :ashamed: (u gotta prepare mentally when u live in a place like Pcola hunty, bc U JUST NEVER KNOW w these yt’s outchea)

anyway i always laugh in the scenario so them mf’s won’t think they got to me. the word will only have as much power as we give it. so fck them putas! :ha: imma find some way to brang his/her mammy into it :yes:

like yo mammy love that n***** dack dont she? i just wouldn’t let em see me sweat. bc that’s giving them too much power & chit

like yo mammy love that nigga dack dont she?

White ppl dont even fight <del?fair but these is fighting words in ANY race :rofl:

mama be done abadoned yo ass umpteen yars ago and you still be tombout bet nobody tombout my mama! :box:

Anna says:

Audacious2 says:

~~~~~
    :rofl: There’s another suit pending.

~
    ~

scorpio says:

@

Diva says:

————————————————————————

Negro/Spanish for black.

fair

:cuss:

Diva says:

———
    :rofl: :yes:

I wouldn’t give a damn if it were uttered lovingly, n*gga has no place in the work place. I wish someone would call me that. If it were a black person I’d have a serious talk with them to let them know I ain’t that n*gga that is down with casual interaction with coworkers.

OTB

*in my JJ from good times voice*

*pulls imaginary 'stache*

I KNOW!!! :nun:

Yo mama on crack rock! :whistle:

:cuss: Yours too!

Yo mama on crack rock! :nana:

Fukk you! :cuss:

#80sbaby90smademe!

:hahahaha:

:no: I wish new girl would open her mouth when she needs help instead of staring in my direction hoping I will look her way.. b/c I will merrily pretend that I don’t see her looking my way… :whistle:

And ANYTIME you tell anotha nigga you aint that nigge.r they know whats up. :yes: :hahaha:

Does
    anybody
    know if DextER or Ray come on Sunday Night?

The Pearl! says:

Diva says:

***************

Naw…but I do remember: white patty, white patty, you don’t shine! Call me a nigga and I’ll betcha behind!

Diva says:

:rofl: @OTB them chirren mama sucking dack for $5 :kona:

*pulls imaginary ‘stache*

:rofl :chase: You been thinking bout that thang for real!

Came On*

Diva says:

The Pearl! says:

Diva says:

***************

————–
    :ghost:

@Luvn this coming Sunday?

——–
    :ghost:

Diva says:

@luvn lemme check da DVR…dats my shyt…DEXTER MORGAN fo life!

There is a race war brewing for real
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    When it start Imma stand in my door and say in my Trinidad James voice…

“Nukka Nukka nukka” :headphones:

Fayla&BrendenSittinInATreeW-H-I-P-P-I-N-GWhipfinity :whip: says:

it irks my entire SOUL when blks use it in public. #horrified
    *******************************

Ooh girl. I thought I was the only one. Last week I was walking from one office to another in uptown Charlotte aka the business district and someone was blasting rap music from their car where several n*ggas was said in a very short period of time. I just knew everyone was looking at my black azz. I nearly died from embarrassment. Some things ain’t appropriate in mixed company and that’s one of em.

Diva says:

No ma’am it did not come on :crying1: we getting down to the end

KayCeiSoul says:

Brandi is at the mall RHETT NAH w/ all her “bishes”. :coffee:

:newpost:

Is this Dr. Suess. :dead: How did I not know this one? :crying1:

Fay Fay THIS ^^^ is my comeback :rofl: white patty, white patty, your pasty ass dont shine! You called me a nigga and now imma bet cho behind! :box:

ChanAintShyt says:

Y’all should click my name. Why? Because we support one another. :tea:

Dead @ that Scorpio gravi

@ Razz, we cool, or nahh?

@ Jenie, I was staring at you from behind my shades…not in a lustful way tho (Hey @ GA boo)

@ OTB, whats up with the whats up?

@ Diva, if I woke up with a skrawberry tongue, I would bite it just because.

@ Luvin, does love live here anymore?

@ Fay, I need to make an order so I can make sure that the scalps I scratch with my golden rat tailed combs are accessible.

@ Ky,since your name don’t stand for Kentucky, I now think that your name talks about your booty.

@ Miany, who that lil boy is in your avi?

@ Dub, can I get a recap?

There is a race war brewing for real
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    When it start Imma stand in my door and say in my Trinidad James voice…

“Nukka Nukka nukka”
    —–
    Make that your door bell tone for everyone who rings it..

“Goal allinmuh chain Goal allinmuh rang Goal allinmuh wash, dome-buhleeme jusss wash Nukka nukka nukka!” and then it’d repeat twice

Miany says:

IDK.. gay and Black is like not alike. Gay is gay. Black is beautiful. No, no kidding..Black is different. Everywhere.
    Our Black story aint Seal’s Black story. Shoot yall heffas be tombout yall aint never had a fist fight. That aint my Black.
    ^^ TRUE :lol: My black is def diff than Seal’s black and buddy up top’s black??? I’m willing to bet his black aint black at all. :tea:

And ANYTIME you tell anotha nigga you aint that nigge.r they know whats up.
    *****************

Exactly. Then they’ll be talking about me behind my back to the other n*gga’s telling em how uppity I am. Whatever n*gga.

:rofl: :yes:

The Pearl! says:

Is this Dr. Suess. How did I not know this one?

Fay Fay THIS ^^^ is my comeback white patty, white patty, your pasty ass dont shine! You called me a nigga and now imma bet cho behind!
    *******

Dr. Seuss!!! :hahaha:

KyCakes says:

Specially not them Asians.
    ——————————————————————-
    I saw “Olympus has Fallen” this weekend :tea:

KyCakes says:

ChanAintShyt says:

——————————————————————-
    :yes: Our resident AARP member was upset I didn’t reside in Kentucky :lol:

But why for come she think she was my cup o’ :tea: ?

I don’t mess with girls that have powdered milk in they tiddays