Judge rules girl brain dead

An Oakland, CA judge has given the go ahead to remove a 13-year-old girl from life support after doctors declared her brain dead following a routine tonsillectomy.

The family of Jahi McMath plans to appeal the judge's decision, ABC News reports. The family spent Christmas day at Children's Hospital Oakland, where they set up a Christmas tree in Jahi's room.

The judge based his ruling on an evaluation from an independent neurologist who examined Jahi on Monday. Chief of child neurology and director of the Center for Brain and Behavior at Stanford, Dr. Paul Graham Fisher, said Jahi "has no response to facial pain, no gag reflexes, no reflexes in her arms or legs, and a complete absence of brain stem and cerebral function."

Jahi’s grandmother, Sandra Jo Chatman, says the teen was alert and talking following the tonsil surgery. But within hours she began bleeding from the mouth and nose. She said the nurses ignored her calls for assistant until she began screaming.

“I was the last one to see Jahi,” said Chatman. “I said, ‘Somebody help my baby please!’ And they came in and starting working on her. The next thing I know, the doctor said, ‘Oh no, she doesn’t have a heart rate anymore.’”

A family spokesman, Omari Sealey, says the family will decide whether to appeal the judge's decision on Thursday, Dec. 26.

The family previously vowed to fight Jahi's removal from life support. Children's Hospital attorney Doug Strauss said the family was provided with all documents pertaining to Jahi's medical care.

He said, "The hospital is not opposed to having the family take Jahi to another facility." The family is considering that option.

As it stands now, Children's Hospital Oakland can remove Jahi from life support after Dec. 30 unless the family wins their appeal and reverses the judge's decision.

• The Master Beta :D

:cry:

• http://www.caboki.com/index.html Man, I just don’t care™

This just gets sadder and sadder.

• LSLH

If she's brain dead, then why leave her on life support? I told my family to let me go if something like that happens to me or if there are any signs of suffering. Pray and let God.

• Hershey

Man I love your facial hair :lol:

This story is tragic, and scary, but with any surgery comes great risks. :sad:

• LSLH

Good Morning Sandra Rose :love: :love: :love:

Hey everybody! Hope you're all doing well. Rollll Calllll......

:waves:
    A.J.
    San ah dance

• The Master Beta :D

LSLH :hi:

• http://www.caboki.com/index.html Man, I just don’t care™

@Hershey
    "Man I love your facial hair "

Thanks!

Now you gotta show me something that I like.
    :eek:

• Who Dat

KDubb
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    :hug:

You forgot to include Paige though.

• MsB2u

So so sad
    LSLH :hi:

• rwilliams4782

I think that is so selfish. It is very expensive to put someone on child support. If you see she has not responded in more than a week you have to let go. I understand that its your child but you're taking up a bed for someone that needs it

• Who Dat

I feel so sad for this young lady and her family. Lord have mercy. :no:

• Smonae

LSLH :hugs: Hey hun

• KyCakes

Sad, but brain dead is brain dead...It's more than likely absolute shock about over your child dying in such a routine surgery...

:pray: for the family.... :sad:

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

I hate this.

• Smonae

This is just soo sad and and a huge reminder that all surgery is risky.
    I just could'nt even fathom this :(

• Hershey

Man, I just don't care™ says:

@Hershey
    “Man I love your facial hair ”

Thanks!

Now you gotta show me something that I like

_________
    :shakebutt: just for you :lol:

• lovezoe

:sad: my daughter had this surgery

Well look at that rollcall! :waves: hey boo

• Gigi26

That's horrible, but ummm they need to ask those parents if they win, what will they do when insurance will not pay for it anymore :tea:

Let go and rest in the fact she is with her maker :yes: don't keep her in the world in a vegetable state because you want that comfort...its not fair to her or you.

• lovezoe

All those name and my name not on it :coffee:

• Ms Peaches

Too sad for words. Prayers sent out to that family.

• Who Dat

Sandra. Dont you leave us in this sad post. :no:

• Dem Babies Mama Bombshell Esq

:wail: why did I click on this post

LSLH :waves: where you been at guhl

• PumpkinsMama

Jen you name not even on that long azz cut and paste job :rofl:

Don't slit ya wrists nah

• sassyshe

Lslh :waves:

This is sad. However if she has no activity then they need to let that poor baby soul move on and be at peace

• essenze

This is so sad. I mean I believe that right now they are still trying to come to grips with what has happened. I have a feeling that they will probably not appeal once reality fully sets in.

we have an agreement that we won't keep each other on life support. just pull the plug bc if there's no brain activity then :shrug:

may God bless her & her fam during this time & after :pray:

:hi: LSLH!

• deedeegirl

How is this the judges decision or the hospitals? Not saying she should stay on life support or be taken off, but why is this not the families decision and theirs alone?

• Eye of Heart

:pray: So sad for this family

• Eye of Heart

Is that MY Hershey who used to speak with a British accent on this here blog once upon a time?

• JerseyGirl68

My grandmother specifically told all her children and grandchildren to never put her on a respirator.

My grandmother coded and because she didn't have a living will and her siblings could not agree, she was put on a respirator. She remained on the respirator for 18 days before she died. It was horrible watch her body jerk while knowing she didn't want that for herself.

I had no idea that a hospital could make the decision to take someone off the respirator over the objection of the parents. Wow, you learn something new everyday.

• rwilliams4782

@deedeegirl because it is costly and hospital is for sick people . Shes not sick..Shes technically dead. So therefore she is occupying a room for someone that needs it. Life support is approx 150k a year

• MissHarlem

Sad situation all around. I wont even imagine how this must feel for a parent. Selfish me would keep her there for an extra day so that I can have that to myself and talk with my child before I fully give her up to GOD. Not an easy decision so nothing else to say.

• essenze

I feel the same. Please don't allow me to be a vegetable. I don't want my family struggling financially because they want to keep me on a machine and futhermore I would want them to accept it. I know its easier said then done but I always say that you have to take what that person would want into account.

• deedeegirl

@rwilliams, people stay on life support for years, like terri schiavo. I don't see why their choice should be taken from them. Again, not saying that it's right to leave her on life support. I just don't understand why it is not their choice.

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

If y'all ever hear about me being on life support, call the police. Whomever has me on it is clearly trying to stick me for my paper.

• rwilliams4782

Its sad but I guess i view things much differently than the avg person... They are more than welcome to have a life support machine at their house. Insurance is not going to cover it.. I'm suprised insurance is still paying if they are. This is about money.

• deedeegirl

I agree it is about the money. I would have expected the insurance company to go to court, not the hospital. hospitals want every dime they can get their hands on.

• missyJ

Just awful :no:

• LSLH

:waves:

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

Did y'all talk about the Chicago dude that killed his mom for her insurance money and was stuntin like he got it like that?

• EL CHA CHA

:hug: SMONAE :hug: HARLEM/BESTIE FAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWSKI :hug: WHO DAT DERE :hug: THE BRO :hug:

• KyCakes

iAmChan says:

Did y’all talk about the Chicago dude that killed his mom for her insurance money and was stuntin like he got it like that?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    :blink:

• Hershey

Eye of Heart says:

____________________________________

Read this in your best accent:

Could it be me? Yes it is me! Long time no readeth of thou font my good bloke! where have YOU been? :sad: :hug: :coffee: <<< Earl Grey tea :lol:

• MissHarlem

CHA :hug: hey boo

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT CHRSITMAS :peace:

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

@ Ky

CHICAGO (STMW) – Three people charged with the September 2012 murder of a 45-year-old Uptown hair stylist — including the woman’s son — were ordered held without bond Tuesday.

Yolanda Holmes was found shot and stabbed to death Sept. 2, 2012 in her apartment in the 1000 block of West Montrose.

At the George Leighton criminal courthouse Tuesday, Cook County assistant state’s attorney Maura White told Bourgeois that Wilson, who was arrested Sunday and is charged with murder and home invasion, arranged to have his mother killed. Wilson was the “sole beneficiary” of his mother’s assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes’ death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.

----

Cell phone records/texts did him in

• Eye of Heart

Hershey says:

Eye of Heart says:

____________________________________

Read this in your best accent:

:rofl: You know I was :banned for a long time. So :newbie:

• KyCakes

iAmChan says:

@ Ky

—-

Cell phone records/texts did him in
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those that think they're so damn smart and can beat ANY charge... :nono:

• Eye of Heart

iAmChan says:

@ Ky

—-

Cell phone records/texts did him in

Dumb ninja :nono: He deserves to burn in hell!!

• EL CHA CHA

Yolanda Holmes was found shot and stabbed to death :no:
    This is so cruel, my brother in law was shot multiple times in the upper body and then his coward shot him smack in the forehead :no: I just dont get the Jody Arias way of killing

• BayouBoy

@that Chitown story. Just SMDH at them.

• Hershey

Eye of Heart says:

Hershey says:

Eye of Heart says:

____________________________________

Read this in your best accent:

You know I was :banned for a long time. So

_______________________________________

I just spiteth my spot of tea outeth but ummm :welcome: :rofl: I have missed you dearly chap!

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

They are going IN on his FB page. He was out there flaunting that bread like he was a rap nigga. Had his mom killed for it...smh.

• http://www.caboki.com/index.html Man, I just don’t care™

We
    need
    a
    new
    post!

:eek:
    :waiting:

• Eye of Heart

EL CHA CHA says:

Yolanda Holmes was found shot and stabbed to death

Damn that's brutal, Cha. :nono: Seems like stuff like this is happeneing more and more and ppl just have no souls. :pray:

• Eye of Heart

:cosign: @Man. Nice beard...

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

@ EL CHA CHA, sorry you had to go through that. My former brother in law was shot in the back outside his moms house and bled out in the doorway in front of all of the kids. Terrible sight.

• Smonae

Cha Cha :hugs: Hey boo
    Whats up Harlem :waves:

• http://www.caboki.com/index.html Man, I just don’t care™

@EYE OF HEART

If you like my beard you gotta show me something I like.

• EL CHA CHA

@EYE...Yeah we would have never picked up on that but they had to cover it with makeup, you could see the indentation at the funeral.....His killer had a vengeance though!

This boy....I mean why would you want to do your mama :nono: praying for him because he is going to suffer many days

• Smonae

Damn I just dont get how a person can take out the person is brough them into this world :no:

They need to rot in jail

• essenze

Money is the root of evil. I mean damn, your mother? You are that thirsty for money that you would have your own mother killed? Wow smh :no:

• http://www.caboki.com/index.html Man, I just don’t care™

@CHA CHA
    "This boy….I mean why would you want to do your mama praying for him because he is going to suffer many days

I remember a couple of years ago, a teenager killed his mom after an argument about a video game and put her in the oven.

After a few days it was discovered and when the police spoke to him he broke down crying saying he missed his mother.

• EL CHA CHA

@IamChan.... People have no regard! They never think about the lives they are affecting...those kids :no: hopefully they can one day push it out of their minds long enough if not forever to maintain stability of some sort.

• https://www.facebook.com/ChanAndACamera iAmChan

@ Cha

They are dealing with it. I know the oldest is like 22 now and he still has night terrors. He ain't been the same since.

• Eye of Heart

@Man :boobs:

• EL CHA CHA

@ BRO....Vicious :no: see which means he had to cut her up and stuff her in there :hurl: unless she was lil and petite, even still :no:

• Eye of Heart

@Chan, That's soo fugged up! I will never be able to understand why people do shit like that with no regard at all. Those poor kids. :nono: And what's even sadder is that most folks in OUR community won't even seek counseling so kids can try to deal with it properly. :sad:

• Eye of Heart

:newpost:

• essenze

I remember a dude killed his mother here(Baltimore) a couple of years ago because she would not allow him to take her car anymore after he messed up her rims on her car. It it some sick people out here :no: This piece of caca had the nerve to be on the news like he was so concerned. Reminds me of the guy who broke into his neighbors house in Baltimore county and killed a woman who was living there. I think she may have woke up while he was in the mist of burgularizing her and her roommates home. It was doing the day so he must not have thought anyone would be home. Stabbed her to death. He had the nerve to be on the news after the incident happened saying how nice she was. They locked up his dumb ass a week after her murder smh

• tallie

That sweet face!! I've been following this story and it continues to break my heart. God, please continue to watch over this family.