Seattle Cornerback Richard Sherman: ‘I Am Not a Thug’

Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Cornerback Richard Sherman may hail from Compton, California, but he insists he is not a thug or a gangsta — despite his thuggish rant in the most talked-about post-NFC title game interview ever.

Most of the country is still buzzing about Sherman’s post-game interview with FOX Sports reporter Erin Andrews, in which he disses San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree for disrespecting him after the game.

“I’m the best corner in the game!,” he shouted. “When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that’s the result you gonna get! Don’t you ever talk about me!”

A befuddled Andrews asked, “Who was talking about you?”

“N– Crabtree!,” said Sherman, who caught himself just as he was about to blurt out the N-word on national TV.

In a surprisingly articulate column written by Sherman for Sports Illustrated, the 25-year-old wrote, “It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.”

He added: “Erin Andrews interviewed me after the game and I yelled what was obvious: If you put a subpar player across from a great one, most of the time you’re going to get one result.”

Sherman explained what happened in the heady moments after his Seahawks knocked off the favored 49ers to win the NFC Championship 23-17 in Sunday night’s game.

“I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, ‘Good game, good game.’ That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.”

“I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that,” Sherman wrote.

As far as Crabtree being a top-20 NFL receiver, you’d have a hard time making that argument to me. There are a lot of receivers playing good ball out there, and Josh Gordon needed 14 games to produce almost double what Crabtree can do in a full season. And Gordon had Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell playing quarterback.

But that’s not why I don’t like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you’d have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven.

Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.

126 Responses to “Seattle Cornerback Richard Sherman: ‘I Am Not a Thug’”

missyJ says:

woohoo new post :dances:

missyJ says:

I watched this live last night and was like :huh: did he just lose his mind in front of the world?? :nods: I think so!

Smokie says:

This is football. It’s a sad sign of the times when an NFL player can’t express raw male trash talking RIGHT after a game. SMH

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Missyj I saw it too. But really, old boy did not have to mush him, just because they lost. He was mad and said how he felt. At least he did not drop f bombs and all that. Im not mad at him. :tea:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——
    Exactly!! Stop trying to make the game all nice. It’s football!!!

KrayZKat says:

I have no problem with what he said. This is what men do.

So proud of the Seahawks!!!!

rwilliams4782 says:

Erin was like ‘I wasn’t ready” Joe back over to you

GottaBigOne says:

Ms. Rose et al – –

Hmmm.

That Young Man Certainly Got a BIG mouth on Him, Literally!!!
    (The things he must be doing with it)

It’s funny. During his rant with Ms. Erin Andrews his face looked like a Monstrosity BUT when he did the post-interview in the locker room dressed up with a bow tie he looked like a different person – – quite handsome and articulate.
    (My guess is that he was posturing for the cameras But in any case Congratulations to him!)

(Buster Rhymes and he favor in the face)

rwilliams4782 says:

Sherman said on twitter. . A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinion of sheep

LadieLeo says:

Stop asking folk questions when they hyped and such….folk ask questions they don’t really want the answers to then get mad when they answered. Child Boo!

and from downstairs….

Oh lerd that answered my question..tell your ma and stepdad to be very careful..they could lose their home if any activity is traced back to that address ..lots of cities have that on the books.. She’s gonna halfta tell them they can’t be at her house..not at all..

**********************
    it’s not my ma’s house, they live in another city from us.

NOONE called Kapernick out last week with his distasteful display of Fcukery in Carolina??

He Just made the winning PLAY to send them to the Super bowl. I can understand his adrenaline Pumping and his aderall kicking in,
    What would have been acceptable??

FurtherMore . . Him and Crabtree had already had words at an Event Larry Fitzgerald had last year.

rwilliams4782 says:

Hope he doesn’t eat those words at the super bowl

rwilliams4782 says:

Ion watch nfl though… college sports over here

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And this!! He Knew how to conform for the situation at hand . . .

AND NOONES GOnna say “CRABTREE” is a crab/thug/hard head for mushing Sherman??

Hell truth be told he’s suppose to Receive a stiff fine for that,NO
    Goodell?????

datsmdubya2u says:

His interviews after that were calm and intelligible

datsmdubya2u says:

@ladie Leo

**********************
    it’s not my ma’s house, they live in another city from us.

__________________________

Yeah i answered downstairs Im relieved i was worried for your people

Afiya says:

I liked her scarf :yes:

datsmdubya2u says:

His interviews after that were calm and intelligible
    ~~~~~~~~~
    But that doesnt account for anything, or the FACT that he graduated at the top of his HS class and his Stanford Class.

Yeah he deserves to be called a Ni&&3R. :rolleyes: Mofos make me sick

SOTHERNGRL says:

O.K. yall have been talking about this all day. I’m with the yt chick Umm sir who was talking about you. Did this Crabtree person call hin sorry?

rwilliams4782 says:

Stanford is a great school.. regardless how great u are in sports you still have to be intelligent to get in..just like Bob Whitfield ..He is by far an idiot no matter how much Sheri tried to display him to b

Buttercup says:

I wonder if a sprite would be labeled a thug if he acted like this seconds after making a clutch play :rolleyes: We all know that he would be described as “passionate and filled with raw emotion…” They may even go out on a limb to say he’s caught up in the moment. Crakk azz crakkas.

datsmdubya2u says:

luVn_liFe… says:

datsmdubya2u says:

His interviews after that were calm and intelligible
    ~~~~~~~~~

Yeah he deserves to be called a Ni&&3R. Mofos make me sick

——-
    And Johnny “football” Manzell gets a pass for alla his foolishnesss. he bout to bring that mess to the NFL and watch..it’ll be cute when he does it

he would be described as “passionate and filled with raw emotion…”
    ~~~~~
    @BUTTERCUP
    right, when DEZ was in his raw moment on the sidelines, he was a thug.
    then they find out what he was saying
    “WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS TEAM!” WE CAN WIN! IT AINT OVER! etc,etc.

BUT WHEN Brady rants raves throws his helmet, NOt a WORD.
    Mofos make me SICK!

cteastcoast says:

__________________________________

That ninja smarter then most them players

MsB2u says:

I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM LATENIGHT WHEN I SAW THAT INTERVIEW

~~~~~~~~
    @DATS
    he’ll Get a pass especially since LBJ is his mentor :facepalm:

rwilliams4782 says:

He was still filled with emotion…He won a championship for God’s sake… never understood why they always interview directly after..just like running the 400m you wanna come ask me fuggin questions

MsB2u says:

I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM LATENIGHT WHEN I SAW THAT INTERVIEW
    ~~~~~~~
    I will Admit when I seen/Heard him I was -> :eek:
    til my hubby said he’s an a.s.s.
    then I was :blink:
    He just made the winning play,WHATCHU mean??

Bootcampgirl says:

Mr Sherman looks :tape:

MsB2u says:

Vn_liFe… says:

MsB2u says:

I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM LATENIGHT WHEN I SAW THAT INTERVIEW
    ~~~~~~~
    I will Admit when I seen/Heard him I was -> :eek:
    til my hubby said he’s an a.s.s.
    then I was :blink:
    He just made the winning play,WHATCHU mean??
    January 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm
    ———————–
    THANKS FOR THIS INFO BECAUSE I WAS STIL WONDERING WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM

:rofl: ERIN ANdrEws :lol: BEING MESSY, luvit!!

“WHO WAS TALKING BOUT U?”

TELL ‘EM SHERM :blink:
    Now let me go read the post :lol: I already read the article he wrote. Good stuff.

libra80sbaby says:

:shrugs: Sound like regular ol football trash talking to me. Nothin to see here.

@MSB2U
    He was in ” BEASTMODE” :lol: adrenaline pumping, and his adderall was kicking in.

rwilliams4782 says:

To break it down…someone just called you a broke bish and you win the lottery and they interview u with the big azz check “yea bish u talking chit bout me being broke..whose broke now bish..huh..who..nicca what” interviewer: who was talking about you?” Me:that bish Keisha on 4th and park ave

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN Isnt here cause his NiNers couldnt Kapernick!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LMAO!
    Exactly rlWilliams

Buttercup says:

I guess I’m just sick of the whitewashing in media. I feel like blacks are always painted in the light of being thugs, welfare queens, ne’er do well leeches who only live to have a million babies from two million folks.

There are plenty of folks from all races who fit the description above, but the magnifying glass is always on black people….sick of this mess.

:applause: I like his response :yes:
    I’m ok with it, so he can carry on now :tea:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Luv : Erin thought she was about to get the inside scoop like he was about to say he had a side baby or something :stop: BYE ERIN

@Bren: You wasn’t going in on people downstairs sister girl was you :eek: Face for radio *giggles* Well you have a body for sumo wrestling.. the underground ring. Keep eating those expired Slim Fast shakes. One day you will lose those 256 pounds to qualify for the lap band :tea:

===
    Bish’s name IS ALWAYS Keesha :ghost:

luVn_liFe… says:

:rofl: ERIN ANdrEws :lol: BEING MESSY, luvit!!

“WHO WAS TALKING BOUT U?”
    ============
    She was all off in LaLa Land :eek: and then heard the drama, and snapped out of it! Who talmboutchu? :eek:

RWill you nailed it :hahaha:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :hahaha: YES

Although I will say the refs really screwed the 49ers out of some Key Calls :shrug: #WhadddYaGonnaDO

libra80sbaby says:

—————-
    :hahaha: TRUE

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Watching Blood Sweat and Tears… Melyssa Ford and Mica :cheers: They need to do better :rofl:

libra80sbaby says:

Bish’s name IS ALWAYS Keesha :ghost:
    :yes: :wail:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

More importantly…. RWill who text you? :eek: You just got here. She already got :gossip: insider information and communication lines

rwilliams4782 says:

Lol don’t worry bout alla dat lol @misTaken… I got the 411. .

Bishes named keisha always talking chit

libra80sbaby says:

rwilliams4782 says:

Lol don’t worry bout alla dat lol @misTaken… I got the 411.
    ————————
    Do tell ladies….DO TELL :popcorn:

(white mama voice) EYE can text who ever tha hail I so please :eek:

Lol don’t worry bout alla dat lol @misTaken… I got the 411
    _______________________________________
    *throws Taken2 Mickey Mouse blanket in the air* KNOW SHE MOTHERSUCKING DIDN’T*
    Who do you think you are :eek: Do you know who I am??? I can have you making license plates :rules: SHOE PROGRAM NIGGA. PELICAN BAY :angry:
    THEM DEAD BODIES YOU WAS :hump: AIN’T GOT NOTHING ON ME :rofl:

Bishes named keisha always talking chit
    ===========
    *snickers* Welllll, yew know what MsTake’s gov’t name is, right? :rofl: :rofl:

:stop: CHeddup Keyshah! <–that's how she spell it :rofl:

rwilliams4782 says:

This ain’t an episode of orange is the new black. I advise you to cover yo azz back up with that blanket and hush..lol :tea:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

EYE can text who ever tha hail I so please
    ________________________________
    Oh really *tongue in the side of my mouth* you really think I am something to play with huh. Let me find out you texting new people :waiting: I can deal with the ones before me but I will NOT take this disrespect :rofl:

Lol don’t worry bout alla dat lol @misTaken… I got the 411
    _______________________________________
    *throws Taken2 Mickey Mouse blanket in the air* KNOW SHE MOTHERSUCKING DIDN’T*
    THEM DEAD BODIES YOU WAS :hump: AIN’T GOT NOTHING ON ME :rofl:
    =======
    <—Got a DOLLAR that says she was way outta breathe just typing this up :kona:

Ms Peaches says:

luVn_liFe… says:

She was all off in LaLa Land and then heard the drama, and snapped out of it! Who talmboutchu?

——————————————————
    It was the tone in her voice that had me rollin. like “what you talking about Willis?” voice.

rwilliams4782 says:

Lmao lol…DTTS her heart was racing

rwilliams4782 says:

Lemme go get my car washed..it’s pretty outside. . Since I’m unemployed on my day off bc I was fuggin bodies n all .. :sarcasm:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Got a DOLLAR that says she was way outta breathe just typing this up
    ___________________________________
    Save your dollar :oops:
    You so petty :lol:

First this: *tongue in the side of my mouth*
    Then: The rest of your sentence :wail: :wail:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

———-
    :dead: Don’t make her snatch off her housecoat :hahaha: Sike naw. How yall doing today?

rwilliams4782 says:

She got on a housecoat and a blanket?

rwilliams4782 says:

AND that was just the stuff that was font-able :rofl: :rofl:

DTTS her heart was racing
    ________________________________
    No ya’ll ain’t finna jump me :crying1:
    This is some bull… *wipes snot from my nose*

Nakeya, you need to talk to your friend ABOUT FEEDING HER KIDS :eek:

DTTS her heart was racing
    ________________________________
    No ya’ll ain’t finna jump me :crying1:
    This is some bull… *wipes snot from my nose*

=============
    CHEDDUP… Nakeya’s going to go get some more folks to join on in! :lol:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

She stay in a housecoat…unless she twerkin, then she wears skorts :tea:

I know DTTS .. it’s cool lol

:cell: <–texting all those who 'really don't like how you come off'

*coyote howls* :dead:

Diva says:

:rofl: when Erin, said who is talking about you? *wallslide*
    :wave: aftanoon Roses

I know DTTS .. it’s cool lol

:scared:

MsB2u says:

luVn_liFe… says:

@MSB2U
    January 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    —————————
    I KNOW SHID HE SCARED ME
    :scared:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@DTTS I saw how Auntie was calling them peoples on her. Po babies. Someone told me She only feeds them once a day, and not real food. Only oodles of noodles.

Hey MsDiva! :waves:
    =========
    *adds to 73* I know it’s time to go when someone says “It’s cool” , and walks out the door TIME TO GO! :steer:

:rofl: :rofl:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

It’s really shamefulllllll :facepalm:
    PLUS they not even namebrand Ooodles Noodles yo! :nono:
    Her baby been texting me all day, letting me know how she do :sheneedshelplook:

:dead:

Afiya says:

HEY, how do you vote on the awards for Chan’s Chronicles?

________________________
    How did I miss them gem :ghost: I AM WEAK…
    Darn these kids keep interrupting me when I am trying to goof off

Where she at? Putting her Body Armor on?!?!? :lol:

*lays out(steak) trap* :tea:

Diva says:

@DTTS hey babes :hug:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: Hey, Everybody. Like I said in the early hours of this very morn: I am not mad at this man. He was excited. YT will always wither in the face of exuberant black folks – they don’t understand it. Imagine how nervous a YT man would be in, say, a black barbershop. We are a very “colorful” people and the others will never feel totally comfortable (or understand us).

Afiya says:

:hi: strawberry lips

Diva says:

@Hey Pearl :hug:

Bootcampgirl says:

4 more hours in this bish :cry: FML

:hi: Pearl
    —–
    Well, I guess it worked FINALLY! We finally shamed her into cooking for them kiddies :rofl: :rofl:

Diva says:

:woohoo: hey Boot

:shocked: What time did you start Boot? You need somebody to do a ‘call in’ for you?! :rofl:

For the record…. I do NOT like Kerry Washington’s 2 pc ensemble that she wore on the red carpet. It just looks dumb IMB :tea:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: heeeeey, Diva-Mae!

Diva says:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: heeeeey, Diva-Mae!
    ———————-
    Dis guhl done called me Diva Mae :ghost:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: Heeeey, DTTS! Who’s kids is hungry? #nosey

LadieLeo says:

Afiya says:

HEY, how do you vote on the awards for Chan’s Chronicles?

******************
    maybe comment directly on that blog :thinking: Did he post the new list yet?

says:

In a surprisingly articulate column written by Sherman for Sports Illustrated, :cloud: :smack:
    :offtopic:

Police discovered roughly 30 people could have been exposed to HIV after finding more than two dozen sex tapes allegedly filmed in secret by a former college student in Missouri who knowingly had the disease, KMOV reports.
    Facebook: TigerMandingo
    Former Lindenwood University student Michael Johnson was charged in October for exposing sexual partners to HIV, though the tapes weren’t discovered until this month.

Johnson was originally arrested on Oct. 10 after a man told police he was diagnosed with HIV and gonorrhea about a month after having sex with Johnson in his dorm room.

Court records show Johnson failed to wear a condom and didn’t tell his partners he is HIV positive. When two asked if he had any diseases, he said no.

The arrest was the culmination of a five-month investigation on the Lindenwood wrestler, who was a state champion in high school.
    instagram.com
    Police believe Johnson may have met his partners on one of his six social media accounts: three Facebook pages, two Twitter feeds, a Vine account, and an Instagram, according to the Riverfront Times.
    instagram.com
    After finding the tapes on a laptop, prosecutors now believe the partners were clueless the 22-year-old was HIV positive or that they were being taped.

“On that laptop were 32 videos engaged in sexual acts with Mr. Johnson,” said St. Charles County prosecutor Tim Lohmar.
    Law enforcement are now trying to identify the students in the videos, which have shaken up the small campus about 20 miles outside of St. Louis.

“Obviously, for a victim to come forward is something that takes a lot of courage,” Lohmar said. “They also have to know that they are going to be part of this public prosecution.”

:eek:

The Pearl! says:

Diva says:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: heeeeey, Diva-Mae!
    ———————-
    Dis guhl done called me Diva Mae :ghost:
    ***********

Aw, c’mon!! I’ve seent you called worse within this very garden, no? :shrug:

LadieLeo says:

I had a late meeting so I’m a lil lost but I know better than to ask for a recap….. :kona:

Diva says:

The Pearl! says:

Diva says:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: heeeeey, Diva-Mae!
    ———————-
    Dis guhl done called me Diva Mae :ghost:
    ***********

Aw, c’mon!! I’ve seent you called worse within this very garden, no? :shrug:
    ———————
    :rofl: they be jealous chile :tea:

The Pearl! says:

I hear you, Diva…cuz secretly, EVERYONE wants @Man

says:

PETA tweeted

Today, we honor Martin Luther King Jr. & the plight of animals who are tortured, abused, & neglected #NeverBeSilent

:shotsfired:

i effin HATE them sumbitches!

PumpkinsMama says:

Divurrrrrrrrrr :happy:

Thank you Sandra for finally allowing me to register. Now that I am here, where do I sign up for the SR rent assistance program :think: says:

Oh hey Fayla :tea: Congrats on getting your license :tea: Now if only you could get certified for that scalp crack you peddle online, youd be straight :tea: #NoHateNoShade

says:

i AM Certified kneegrow! :blink: have been from day one :tea: <—wiff panky in the air

did u get my email sma'am?

hey Pearl! :hi: how u & that foot durrin?

Black twitter found Brain H Blackwells job :ashamed: Mr Blackwell was just one of thousands of Whites to hurl racial slurs at Mr Sherman via twitter. Some of you may fall into this oh hes a thug trap, but not I :tea: Thug is White people slang for N***er. And when Mr Blackwell referred to Sherman as such, Black twitter went in. Good for them! I luv it when we all come together for a good cause.

PumpkinsMama says:

Booty Pimple Popper! :lick:

PumpkinsMama says:

AMEN, I luv it when a plan comes together a la the A team :tea:

Oh hey pumpkenz :tea: Appreciate the new flicks you sent me. Its mlkday girl. A time for atonement. And I atone that you used a whole bunch of photoshop to attain that 16 inch waistline :tea: #NoHateNoShade you look great in a cartoonish sort of way :tea:

i AM Certified kneegrow!

Certifiable :tea: Ol post dated canned good eatin huzzy :tea:

Diva says:

:woohoo: my muthapuking Pumpkan in this joing :rofl: what up gal?

Diva says:

*joint

says:

:ghost:

:peace: <—really Ciely fangas

u know u den fugged up right? :tea:

sma’am

says:

hopefully dis be da lass MLK Day i haz to work for da yt mayne :nun:

says:

this the 3rd one i den worked in life fuccin around up hurr & chit :rollseyes: :tea:

u know u den fugged up right?

Oh puhhhleaze. Shes from NY :tea: Land of the giant rat. You think imma be scarred of a woman who got a bunch of Kat Stacks lookin rodents runnin rounst her backyard? Chile. NewYork dont want it with Cali :tea: We wear Chucks, not Ballys :tea:

™ says:

hopefully dis be da lass MLK Day i haz to work for da yt mayne

Amen Chile. May we all see the day when we can tell The m\Man to kiss our plump Black rumo-ok. Some plumper than others :tea: Your 1 good quality :tea:

*rump :tea:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: Heeeey, Fayla!! Me and my foot are cool — gets a little better each day. Oh! And congrats on your realtor’s license!!! :woot:

says:

:buttshake: i do pretty goot in the azz dept if i do say so myself <—Jay voice

but when the good Lord seen feit for me to have some brains TEW?! :ashamed:

God be knowing azzes gone sag one day. He so wise. :nun:

:thankyou: God for the smarts moe than ANYthang. i aint no brain surgeon, but i do aiight :ashamed:

:cell: <—PM on with her HRIC plannin yo attack

SOTHERNGRL says:

:newpost:

PumpkinsMama says:

says:

Your 1 good quality

:hahaha: :dead: i missed that!

Thanks Pearl! :hug: & how long before ur at 100%?

™ says:

:buttshake: i do pretty goot in the azz dept if i do say so myself <—Jay voice

but when the good Lord seen feit for me to have some brains TEW?! :ashamed:

God be knowing azzes gone sag one day. He so wise. :nun:

:cell: <—PM on with her HRIC plannin yo attack

Speak on it :lol:

The Pearl! says:

:hahaha: :dead: i missed that!

Thanks Pearl! :hug: & how long before ur at 100%?
    *****
    Shyt! Like 6+ months!!!! and they wonder why it takes folks so long to do this shyt! I’ll be back at work after 6 or so weeks

Sunkissed404 says:

Whoop there it is! :bball: Listen…The boy is bad. All day long…And he backs what he’s saying up! I know Skip Blayless won’t try it again! That’s what I DO know… Dear Skip Blayless… “You suck at life!” ~Richard Sherman

Z-Phi!!