Medical Minute: ‘Selfie’ Addiction May Cause Mental Illness

Cassie Ventura

A medical expert is cautioning social media users about the potential mental health risks associated with having an addiction to taking Selfies.

The Guardian Liberty Voice reports that Danny Bowman was diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder after he became suicidal due to his addiction taking hundreds of selfies a day.

Bowman told the Guardian Liberty Voice he would take about 200 pictures a day in order to get the “right” selfie of himself to post on social media accounts. He said he spent up to 10 hours a day taking selfies.

Bowman attempted suicide when he believe he failed at taking the perfect Selfie.

Dr. David Veal told the Guardian Liberty Voice that taking too many selfies may cause body dysmorphic disorder, which has an “extremely high suicide rate.”

Dr. Pamela Rutledge explained in an article for Psychology Today that taking selfies is indicative of narcissism, attention seeking behavior and self-indulgence.

A Selfie addiction is similar to other addictions that humans experience. One of the brain neurotransmitters responsible for Selfie addiction is Dopamine — the same brain chemical that enables our addictions to sex, drugs, alcohol, cosmetic surgeries, etc.

Dopamine is sometimes referred to as “The Kim Kardashian of neurotransmitters.”

Dopamine is released in our brains whenever we experience something pleasurable. Its primary purpose is to remind us that we like something (or someone) — and to reward us if we encounter what we like again and again.

Dopamine also causes our intense attractions to other human beings for the purpose of procreation. Problems begin when the Dopamine starts to fade. But I’ll save that for another post.

• This is What Happens When Fools Doctor On Themselves
  • Medical Minute: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Man pays daughter $200 to deactivate her Facebook
  • I Refuse To Believe This is Necole Bitchie

85 Responses to “Medical Minute: ‘Selfie’ Addiction May Cause Mental Illness”

aRoTh says:

Aww chit :popcorn:

Wasting time says:

Lordt!!! :bounce:

A.J. says:

Bella770 says:

I guess I’ll check her Instagram to see what she has to say about Sandra Rose today……. :tea:

nybrn2 says:

It bothers me when I see a guy with tons of selfies on his timeline….#turnoff

Gigi26 says:

:rofl: Like ole Morning Glory from yesterday :yes:

Good post Sandra :thumbsup:

:ashamed: cause me and my mini love selfies :lol:

I do it old school and have my FRIENDS take the pix. these ppl may be suicidal cuz they dont have friends. 10 hours a day taking a pic of yourself? get a life.

SummerBaby says:

My youngest nephew’s mother suffers from this disorder. She takes pics before she goes to work, in the car on the way to work, sitting at her desk, on her lunch hour, after work, & all evening until she falls asleep.

A.J. says:

10 hours a day taking a pic of yourself? get a life.
      Hello!!

How did I miss the morning wood :crying1: OMG that pic with him in the shower :ghost: bawahahahahaha :rofl: :rofl:

theres a lot of self indulgent, attention seeking narcissists on social networking then :lol:

Keesh says:

Giggling!!!! Selfie pics
      Morning Roses
      Morning Auntie

now 10 hours a day yea you got issues :lol: thats not normal even for a narcissist.

A.J. says:

_________
      That bathtub pic was deadly. :ghost:

:ghost: chile :rofl: :rofl: that’s a hotmess

Smonae says:

This write up :hahaha:

:rofl: like he said uewwwwww !!!! :hahaha: When was that post chile :rofl:

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

:dead: I just posted downstairs about this. :rofl:

I got something for you all this morning. Idk if you’ve heard the stupid song yet…

Beta says:

:shocked: Keesh :hi:

So this is an actual song..and “they” love that damn song .. The second verse though? :ghost:

SELFIE”

When Jason was at the table
      I kept on seeing him look at me while he was with that other girl
      Do you think he was just doing that to make me jealous?
      Because he was totally texting me all night last night
      and I don’t know if it’s a booty call or not
      So… like what do you think?
      Did you think that girl was pretty?
      How did that girl even get in here?
      Do you see her?
      She’s so short and that dress is so tacky
      Who wears Cheetah?
      It’s not even summer, why does the DJ keep on playing “Summertime Sadness”?
      After we go to the bathroom, can we go smoke a cigarette?
      I really need one
      But first,
      LET ME TAKE A SELFIE

[Beat drops]

Can you guys help me pick a filter?
      I don’t know if I should go with XX Pro or Valencia
      I wanna look tan
      What should my caption be?
      I want it to be clever
      How about “Livin’ with my bitches, hash tag LIVE”
      I only got 10 likes in the last 5 minutes
      Do you think I should take it down?
      LET ME TAKE ANOTHER SELFIE

[Beat drops]

Wait, pause, Jason just liked my selfie
      What a creep
      Is that guy sleeping over there?
      Yeah, the one next to the girl with no shoes on
      That’s so ratchet
      That girl is such a fake model
      She definitely bought all her Instagram followers
      Who goes out on Mondays?
      OK, let’s go take some shots
      Oh no, I feel like I’m gonna throw up
      Oh wait, nevermind I’m fine
      Let’s go dance
      There’s no vodka at this table
      Do you know anyone else here?
      Oh my god, Jason just texted me
      Should I go home with him?
      I guess I took a good selfie

Selfie [on repeat]

LET ME TAKE A SELFIE

Sn: Sandra’s shade is just :lol: The best though :trophy:

You gonna leave Cassie ‘lone. Daymn blog gonna lock up again :rofl:

A.J. says:

Morning Keesh, Razzle Dazzle, Picka Pickam, HeartKiss, Beta, Summer, User, Gigi, Ny2brn, Bella, Wasting Time, A roth!!

Razz who song is that? :smh:

how the beat go :buttshake:

A.J. says:

:no: @ selfie song.

Wasting time says:

:hi: AJ!

KyCakes says:

Cassie’s gonna shave her head again :wail:

missyJ says:

@Hearts yeah not yesterday but the day before near the end of the day so I’m sure everyone would be happy to drag Cassie on mo gin for her pathetic attempts to roast somebody. She’s much better off dyck riding, head shaving, and squinty eyein Diddly for her supper. Ol Tommy azz broad….

@user/AJ the folks who made it is called the chainsmokers.. it’s a dance/electrona type of song.. more pop than techno… :no:

@SandraRose you should link the song to this here post :lol:

Ms Peaches says:

Every time the word Dopamine is used on this blog take a drink.

Wasting time says:

Selfie by the Chainsmokers :no:
      Its a EDM song

SummerBaby says:

AJ :hi:

missyJ says:

===============

See now, therein lies the TRUE problem. So busy all alone TRYING to make people believe they have a life, scrolling past all the other people IG flexing getting depressed.

I remember comedian talking about people having 1000 facebook friends, he gon say so you have 1,000 Facebook friends and not ONE coulda taken that picture for you :coffee:

Wasting time says:

Ms Peaches you trying to make us all ‘holics! I don’t want Roaches in my liver!! :rofl:

I think I will walk to Quiznos :thinking:

zurishay says:

I need my job. I wish Sandra would quit being so darn funny that it makes me bust out laughing.

Afiya says:

This my granddaughter :smack: :pray: please, NOT AGAIN, LAWD Chile :stop: IT!!! :smh:

Wasting know what I’m talking about… :no: when I first heard that song I thought it was one of those commercials like 411 pain and nem be having. Someone taking a selfie while driving then BOOM car accident :lol: I was proved to be wrong each time that shyt o’s requested on the fukin radio.

n1kk1a says:

Ol Tommy azz broad

San ah make ya dance says:

We soo into ourselves these days :yawn:

Ms Peaches says:

@Wasting time- You know I will look for any reason to take a sip.:bounce:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Good Morning Roses. LMAO But why Sandra did you have to use that girl picture?! :hahaha: She done already ready told you she gonna run up on you at the club when she see you…when she is actually allowed out. :tea:

I only hate it when these fat ugly hoes do all these selfies…
      :facepalm:

Wasting time says:

Selfie by the Chainsmokers
      Its a EDM song

oh so you gotta :snort: to like it. I stay seeing empty packets of bath salts on the street so no wonder. :smh:

San ah make ya dance says:

————–
      OMG where this fcuker worked :ghost: Prolly the prob, get you a dmn job

San ah make ya dance says:

I only hate it when these fat ugly hoes do all these selfies…
      :facepalm:
      ———-
      And if I see one more pic of FOOD from someone that needs to put the plateS down :mad:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

I only hate it when these fat ugly hoes do all these selfies…
      _________________________

but those be the ones getting 50 million likes :shrugs: the biggest chix on my friendslist take the most pix and get the most likes. :yes:

A.J. says:

Preach San!!

KyCakes says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

I think I will walk to Quiznos :thinking:
      ——————————————————————–
      I’ll do whorish things for their cob salad….

Wasting time says:

@Razzle; I heard in a co-worker car and looked around like You on speka phone :hahaha:

@Peaches :lol: Good to know and I dig but that game will have you blacked out in the back of Morning Wood Car

nybrn2 says:

AJ—-Good morning! :)

User just like that animal song… you gotta be high off something or drunk as fugg to keep up with the rest of folks getting it to that song… Mr. Had me listen to this song called eat sleep rave repeat. :rofl: I thought it was a fake song too… I guess he is trying to get me ready and spun up for a rave he wants to go to… :kona:

@USER FRIENDLY
      “I only hate it when these fat ugly hoes do all these selfies…
      _________________________

but those be the ones getting 50 million likes the biggest chix on my friendslist take the most pix and get the most likes.
      ______________________________________

Yeah, they “low hanging fruit” so a nigga be hitting “like.” Give about four or five and you can phuck.

But see, now EVERY nigga den found that out so these big ugly hoes starting to get gassed up. :facepalm:

San ah make ya dance says:

:hahaha: AJ :hug:

Ms Peaches says:

This dude was taking selfie’s faster than the dude slicin folks yesterday.

Who goes out on mondays? Rofl… btch obviously you

Some other chick told her bout that chit and it went down. :lol:

A.J. says:

This dude was taking selfie’s faster than the dude slicin folks yesterday.
      _________
      :dead: naw

Peaches take yo ass to the :kona: for that slicing shyt :rofl:

Call me crazy but I like to see all my limbs in my pictures. selfie’s be all about necks and armpits. :smh: and chins and shyt. I would hate myself too at that angle. :lol:

then when you see them in person without the filters and without the trick angles you be like :eek: harpo who dis woman?

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

:ghost:

Y’all see that picture of penne pasta with craft square cheese placed on top like it was mac and cheese? :ghost:

A.J. says:

Some other chick told her bout that chit and it went down.
      :hurl: I looked at just a few plates and almost vomited. I got me to thinking do people really eat like this?!

San ah make ya dance says:

Some other chick told her bout that chit and it went down. :lol:
      ——————-
      :hahaha: Be able to take that shyt when you posting BS. I have to seat on my fingers when I see some shyt

So that episode of family hustle when tiny was teaching Shananana how to make baked spaghetti and she had all that hair under her arm… :ghost:

San ah make ya dance says:

But they like to say #nofilters :huh: Get

A.J. says:

harpo who dis woman
      ^^^sea world contestant.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

———–
      Low hanging fruit :lol:

@SAN
      “Almost had another FB stabbing over this very issue. Chick took a pic talkin bout “cookin for bae” and the plate looked like hot steaming chit with a lil vomit thrown in.

Some other chick told her bout that chit and it went down.
      ——————-

I never seen green chicken before… :eek:

nybrn2 says:

It bothers me when I see a guy with tons of selfies on his timeline….#turnoff

If I see an IG with tons of photos of the IG user, I know that person is a narcissist. Not even real photographers take that many photos of themselves. :no:

missyJ says:

Ol Tommy azz broad

==============

Talmbout starting a petition for Sandra to be out of a job. How about we start a petition for you to GET a job. She ain’t seen a W-2, 1099-MISC, and interests dividends statement not shat in years. Her credit score gots to be 108, and that’s just for spelling her name right. Least Koochie koo got Breezy to back her fashion line so she could claim some type of salary.

I know she been told by Diddly 1,000 be beautiful and be silent….

SJ says:

This is what happen when you put value and self-worth into fickle s–t.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@missyj I am not even gonna start on Cassie again, because she is not worth it. She just needs to kindly keep laying on her back and collecting her coins and STFU. Bytch has not one job in the first, sharing a man with four damn women, shaved half her head for attention she never got, has a mixtape no one listened to…her whol elife is a fuggin waste. Fugg her and what she talking about. Until she does something with her life she needs not to say shyt. The nerve of this whore.