A mouse startled customers when it jumped into a deep fryer at a Central Texas Whataburger restaurant. The incident happened in full view of paying customers at a Whataburger in Bastrop, Texas on Sunday morning.
A Facebook user shared video of the mouse running around on a countertop near the deep fryer station. The Facebook user provided narration as a customer went behind the counter to trap the mouse.
As the customer attempted to catch the mouse, the terrified critter leaped into the deep fryer full of hot grease.
Brushawn Lewis, who uploaded the video, wrote, “This s— is crazy I’m at whataburger in Bastrop Tx. It’s a damn rat just out in the open!”.
“Oh, he went in the grease! That h*e is fried!” said Lewis. The video was viewed over 1 million times.
A restaurant worker offered refunds to customers who waited patiently for their orders.
A spokesman for Whataburger restaurants responded to the Facebook post, saying the particular Whataburger location was shut down and “sanitized”.
“Thank you for bringing this to our attention. At Whataburger, cleanliness and food safety are top priorities for us. In this instance, we closed the restaurant out of an abundance of caution and notified pest control. The entire restaurant has since been cleaned and sanitized. We addressed this situation as quickly as possible, reinforcing procedures with our Family Members. While we’ll continue to be very diligent, it’s important to know there was no history of this type incident at this unit and there is no ongoing issue. A member of our team would like to reach out and address any concerns. Can you please share your contact information with us?”