Photo may have been deleted

Investigators with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department are having difficulty locating the six people who traveled to Cabo, Mexico with Shanquella Robinson.

The 25-year-old hair stylist and boutique owner from Charlotte was found dead on Oct. 29 in a resort villa – 24 hours after she arrived in Cabo to celebrate a friend’s birthday.

There are rumors that Robinson was in a sexual relationship with one of the people who traveled to Cabo with her.

The three males who stayed in the rented villa with Robinson are rumored to be gay. Which leaves one of the females as her possible sexual partner.

The rumors are unconfirmed, but Mexican authorities are investigating Robinson’s death as a “femicide.”

Photo may have been deleted

Under Mexican law, a femicide occurs when a woman is killed and there is evidence of sexual violence before her death. A person who is suspected of killing a woman would be charged with femicide if evidence shows they had a sexual relationship with her and/or she was killed because of her gender.

Robinson’s autopsy, which was conducted in Cabo, Mexico, shows she died of a broken neck and serious spinal cord injury.

Robinson’s associates claim she drank too heavily and died from “alcohol poisoning” after celebrating someone’s birthday.

But the autopsy report did not mention alcohol intoxication.

Charlotte police have visited the last known addresses of the six people who last saw Robinson alive. They are wanted for questioning, but police can’t find them.

The murder occurred outside of their jurisdiction, but Charlotte police tell Queen City News they can extradite the potential suspects back to Mexico if they find evidence that Robinson was murdered.

The FBI has joined the investigation into the murder.

Robinson’s father, Bernard Robinson, told TMZ he believes the trip to Cabo was a “plot” to harm Robinson in another country.

The State Attorney General’s Office of Baja California Sur announced the investigation into Robinson’s death was upgraded to a “criminal matter.”

U.S. State Department officials initially found no evidence of foul play and closed the case. But Robinson’s family took their fight for justice to social media where Robinson’s story soon went viral.

Hundreds attended Robinson’s funeral service on Saturday in Charlotte.