Mike Coppola/Getty Images

Keke Palmer sparked Internet memes when she posted a photo of her wilted salad as part of her 3-course meal at the $30,000-$50,000 per ticket Met Gala, held on Monday night in NYC.

The actress captioned the image: "This is why they don't show y'all the food. I'm just playing."

According to TMZ, Chef Marcus Samuelsson defended allegations that the food was unpalatable at the high society event.

Marcus -- who helped select the 10 aspiring chefs to feed the hungry A-listers - was dismayed that Keke criticized the food served at the $30K-$50K per ticket gala.

Kevin Mazur/MG21/Getty Images

Marcus -- the head chef of Red Rooster in Harlem, created the totally meatless menu at the gala. He tells TMZ, yes, Keke's picture is in fact a sample of the food served at the ultra exclusive event.

Marcus described the unrecognizable food on Keke's plate as barley topped with roasted maitake mushrooms, tomato salad with corn and zucchini slices.

Photo may have been deleted

Instagram

Marcus said -- despite Keke's criticism -- the 3-course vegan meal was delicious and the feedback he got from other guests has been incredible.

Marcus, in collaboration with Bon App├ętit, hired and then challenged 10 aspiring NY chefs to create a "sustainable, plant-based menu" with all the bells and whistles - hence all the fruits and veggies.

However, Keke's pic, which consisted of the entree, had everyone talking about how unappetizing the food looked.

One person wrote, "This was clearly a 'eat before you get there' type of thing."

Another person wrote, "They feeding y'all like it's Fyre Festival."

In addition to a fresh salad, Keke dined on appetizers, including 6 hor d'oeuvres, a watermelon pumpkin salad, Spanish-style tomato toast rubbed with garlic and anchovy oil, followed by collard greens served on coconut buttermilk cornbread, black rice porcini arancini and smoked yuzu soy on a single panipuri cracker.

Dessert included an apple topped with chocolate mousse and apple confit with a calvados eau-de-vie glaze.

Photo by Kris Connor/Getty Images

Top Chef Masters star Chef Floyd Cardoz passed away from pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (Covid-19). He was 59.

Cardoz died Wednesday from complications related to the virus.

According to The Blast, Cardoz was hospitalized last week with a fever, and ultimately tested positive for the virus.

The co-owner of Mumbai's Bombay Canteen, O Pedro and NYC's Tabla restaurants likely caught the virus while on a business trip to Mumbai, India earlier this month. All of India - 1.3 billion people - are on lockdown to contain the virus.

Cardoz updated his fans by sharing an Instagram photo from his hospital bed.

"Sincere apologies everyone. I am sorry for causing undue panic around my earlier post. I was feeling feverish and hence as a precautionary measure, admitted myself into hospital in New York. I was hugely anxious about my state of health and my post was highly irresponsible causing panic in several quarters. I returned to New York on March 8th via Frankfurt."

Friends, fans and celebrities, including actress Padma Lakshmi, paid tribute to the celebrity chef on social media. "This is a huge loss," Lakshmi tweeted on Wednesday.

Cardoz, a native of India, is survived by his wife and business partner, Barkha, and their two sons, Peter and Justin.
 

Auntie Fee

TMZ triggered a wave of despair on Black Twitter when the gossip tabloid erroneously reported famed viral video chef Auntie Fee died of a massive heart attack. Hours later, TMZ published an update of Aunt Fee's condition after her family disputed the death reports on her official Facebook page.

Read more »

Paula Deen Apology

Celebrity chef Paula Deen is reeling from the backlash to her admission that she routinely calls black people "niggers." In a video released by her camp today, Deen says: "I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done." Looking somewhat befuddled, she continues: "I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I've made."

Update: According to published reports, Food Network has fired Paula Deen.

Read more »

Wendy Williams Says Paula Deen Has No Class

Talk show Diva Wendy Williams reacted to TV chef Paula Deen admitting she regularly uses the N-word.

"This is something that has been swirling around about Paula Deen for longer than this story," Williams said in an interview with Entertainment Television.

Deen, 66, admitted using racial slurs in a videotaped deposition for a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by the former general manager of her popular Savannah, GA restaurant. Lisa Jackson claimed sexual harassment and infliction of emotional distress by Deen's brother Bubba Hiers.

Read more »