Michelle Obama Calls Herself a ‘Busy Single Mother’

Michelle Obama Calls Herself a Busy Single Mother

First Lady Michelle Obama confirmed what some of us already knew; that she is a single mother raising her 2 daughters in the White House — the home she shares with her estranged husband, President Barack Obama.

In an interview with CBS affiliate WCAX in Burlington, Vt., Mrs. Obama said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother…” She quickly corrected herself, saying, “I shouldn’t say ‘single’ — as a busy mother.”

She added: “Sometimes it, you know, when you’ve got a husband who’s president, it can feel a little single. But he’s there.” Mrs. Obama made a face while emphasizing the words “he’s there.”

If we study Mrs. Obama’s body language during the interview, it becomes clear that she meant every word when she called herself a busy single mother.

According to the famed psychologist Sigmund Freud, a Freudian slip is the verbalization of an unconscious thought. In other words, the verbalization of something we are subconsciously thinking but can’t speak out loud.

According to Freud, unacceptable thoughts or beliefs are withheld from conscious awareness, and these slips help reveal what is hidden in our unconscious.

Often we try to invalidate our slips of the tongue by saying we didn’t mean to say them. But in reality, the heavy burden of our unconscious thoughts becomes too much for us to bear in silence.

Obviously, Mrs. Obama believes she is a single mother — she certainly behaved like a single mother when she and the president took separate vacations recently.

Washington insiders have been whispering rumors for years that the president and the first lady are married in name only — an arrangement normally referred to as a marriage of convenience.

• Obama Vacationed Alone With Reggie Love, Bans Media from Taking Pictures
  • White House Confirms Separate Vacations for Barack and Michelle Obama
  • Michelle Obama to Attend Funeral of Slain 15-year-old Student Hadiya Pendleton

43 Responses to “Michelle Obama Calls Herself a ‘Busy Single Mother’”

LongLegged says:

I hope u put away that shovel….I swear…smh.

@ LongLegged: Did you read the entire post? Sigmund Freud explains exactly why we say the things we say.

NaijaGal says:

girl bye…love me some ‘Chelle O :heart:

Pickachu Tran says:

:coffee: OK.

See :tea: my mom raised me and my sisters while my father worked plenty of 16 hour and over night shifts for Georgia Power. This means nothing at all :coffee: sorry !!! The father works, the mother make the house a home the end ! :shrugs:

Whatever. I would never refer to myself as a busy single mother. You know why? Because I am not a single mother and I don’t think such thoughts. Obviously she does. :coffee:

@ jeniefrumdabloc: Has your mother ever referred to herself as a single mother? I didn’t think so. :coffee:

NaijaGal says:

:yawn:

MissTaken says:

:warning:
      Me no likey the bangs :no: it looks uneven and like they were in her eyes. I do like Michele though.

Pickachu Tran says:

when your husband is that busy yes sometimes u feel like a single parent in reality YOU ARE… I am an Army brat and my mother still referred to herself as a single mother even though she was married. and the Higher in Rank my father went the more he seemed to be gone. But he kept the checks rolling in from overseas….

THIS MEANS NOTHING :coffee:

Anna says:

~~~~~~~
      Some women get married to say “I have a husband”. The husband may live there, but does not participate in the rearing of the kids, or the chores. I always refered to them as “single moms”. :lol:

libra80sbaby says:

I agree Sandra. I have never slipped and told anyone I am a “single mother”. Me and my husband both raise and take care of our kids. But, he’s THE PRESIDENT!! He aint got time to do chit but TRY to run the country. She’ll be aight when this term is over. :yes:

lovezoe says:

:yawn: First thing in the morning with this. Her husband is off being the leader of the free world, one would expect her to be doing this solo.

libra80sbaby says:

—————————-
      :cosign: I think this is what ‘Chelle meant. Cause hell, the Pres be busy!!

AllNYC says:

I’m having a single mom period. My husband is the in the reserves. During one weekend a month, two weeks out of the year, or during deployments I’m a single mom while my husband is serving his country.
      While I realize he’s coming back, when he’s away or working crazy overtime making up for deployments you feel isolated.
      It’s probably a joke she makes regularly that slipped out during an interview. Nothing to see here folks.

Miany says:

:hi: Libra, lovezoe, Anna, Picka, Naija, Sandra, jenie, longlegged…Good Morning all….I’m ready for FLOTUS the go back to the banging wraps she always rocked. Ion like the bangs looks wiggy half the time.

Crickett says:

I think she is trying to appeal to the single mother, as saying my husband is busy and I feel like a single parent sometimes doing it all by myself because it has to be done.

Yardgirl says:

:obama: If anyone but the wife of the president said this I would give them the side eye. However when you put it in context, the man is the president of the USA. She IS most likely operating like a single mom, FOR NOW That man loves his wife and kids, no question, believe that :yes:

Milky says:

mainy
      crickett

:buttshake:

Pickachu Tran says:

milky Miany :waves:

hell_on_heels says:

Auntie, shame on you for posting this……

the home she shares with her estranged husband, President Barack Obama.
      *************************

Well if they get a divorce after he leaves office I got next!

MsB2u says:

If that’s how she feels then so be it

that_VA_thickchick says:

:newpost:

Sandra is not playing today. She ready to get her weekend started.

MsB2u says:

Good morning everybody
      :waves:

libra80sbaby says:

:hi: Milky and Miany and Roses

@ hell_on_heels, milky, cricket, AllNYC, Anna, Longlegged and jenie – today is Real Gravi Friday. Please change your Gravis. If you can’t – or won’t – change your Gravis, you are welcome to lurk. Thanks!

Well if they get a divorce after he leaves office I got next!

Aren’t you married? :shrug:

This means nothing at all :shrugs: and if she does feel like a single mother so what? :tea: I mean what is the point of this anyways , to say lonely or something I honestly am lost with the point in even analyzing her words :no: But carry on :coffee:

I changed my gravie is just hasn’t changed yet :tea:

@ Yardgirl: I have never heard any president’s wife refer to herself as a single mother. But, whatever. You ladies always come up with excuses to explain their bizarre behaviors. :coffee:

Tt says:

I hate when women refer to themselves as feeling like “single mothers” bc their husbands work a lot or are never around. Bish please- you have two incomes and mate backup to some degree, you have NO idea what being a single mother is like. Sit your ass down somewhere.

3halos says:

When I was married, I would NEVER refer to myself as a single mother and neither would my mother. Being divorced, I now know what it’s like to be a single mom (of twins) and believe me… regardless if the man is working 20 hours a day or not, you DO NOT mention “single mom” unless you really are one. :tea:

Yardgirl says:

@ Miss Sandra: You are right, no FLOTUS has ever said that. However I was giving her a pass because, it makes sense, to me. It could be because I am a army brat and at times when my dad was away it was just my us and mom :shrug: And NO my mom never called herself a single mom!! :)

3halos says:

Yardgirl, I’m an army brat too but if my dad found out my mom said that mess, he would have came home from duty looking cray cray like Harpo cussing her azz out.

Yardgirl says:

@ halo: My dad was a drill sergeant, OK!! You know the one that they show in the movies screaming and cussing them out? Well THAT there was my dad!! A scary mo-fo :tape: He was a wonderful father though so my mom would never say such a thing!! :no:

LeLe says:

The look on her face in the photo. LOLLLLLLL Good one Ms Sandra! I love Michelle though but this has made my day laughing too hard.

anw_rootbeer says:

I sorda kinda agree. I don’t have a husband & it just my daughter & I, but I never refer to myself as a single mother because I have plenty of help & I don’t like the way “I’m a single parent” sounds. So I never use this lingo

whowhatme says:

Well, I hope she didn’t think running the country was a nine to five job.

“Single” is the operative word. If her husband wasn’t the president but was a soldier deployed at war for four years, she still wouldn’t be a “single” anything. It’s sad that she must also feel neglected.