Angelina Jolie Had Both Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer

Angelina Jolie double mastectomy

Angelina Jolie has had both of her breasts removed as a proactive measure to prevent breast cancer.

The 37-year-old actress made the announcement in an op-ed piece she wrote exclusively for today’s New York Times.

The Oscar-winning actress, who is in a long term relationship with actor Brad Pitt, said she underwent the double mastectomy after doctors found a gene that makes the probability of her developing breast cancer very high.

She said she made the choice with thoughts of her six children after watching her own mother, actress Marcheline Bertrand, die at a young age from cancer.

Quoting her 6 children, Jolie writes, “They have asked if the same could happen to me.”

Jolie wrote that finding the “faulty” BRCA1 gene meant she had an 87 percent chance of developing breast cancer herself.

“My mother fought cancer for almost a decade and died at 56,” Jolie writes. “She held out long enough to meet the first of her grandchildren and to hold them in her arms. But my other children will never have the chance to know her and experience how loving and gracious she was.”

She added:

“I wanted to write this to tell other women that the decision to have a mastectomy was not easy. But it is one I am very happy that I made. My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent. I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.”

Jolie described the procedure as feeling like a scene out of a science fiction movie.

From The NY Times:

“My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a ‘nipple delay,’” she writes, “which rules out disease in the breast ducts behind the nipple and draws extra blood flow to the area.”

She then describes the major surgery two weeks later where breast tissue was removed, saying it felt “like a scene out of a science-fiction film,” then writes that nine weeks later she had a third surgery to reconstruct the breasts and receive implants.”

Many women have chosen preventive mastectomy since genetic screening for breast cancer was developed, but the move and public announcement is unprecedented from a star so young and widely known as Jolie.

“I do not feel any less of a woman,” Jolie writes. “I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”

• Breast Implants didn’t save Mary Harvey’s marriage to Steve
  • Gabrielle Union Gets LASIK Eye Surgery to Correct Her Vision
  • Aretha Franklin Prayerful Following Successful Gastric Bypass Surgery
  • The Rock is recovering nicely from hernia surgery

64 Responses to “Angelina Jolie Had Both Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer”

NaijaGal says:

Bless her

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

Good morning Yall! :hug:

So we now that the new move? You have the gene so whack the :boobs: on off? I thought proactive was checking every month with exams and more often with your doctor. But having the gene doesn’t instantly tell you will get it :shrug:

I’m not mocking Angelina Jolie, but this sounds like something Beyonce would write if she had breast implants put in. :coffee:

Lodak says:

Oh, okay :coffee:

A.J. says:

Damn. Brave chit.

J Said it! says:

so to all you women flaunting ya boobs and azz… yall can stop being hoes now! Jolie done change the game!

MetroAtlMrs says:

Thankfully they operated before it was too late.

Oh. Well she has the money to do so. :shrug: I hope she has had a healthy recovery.

MsOnederful says:

Wayment Auntie. Don’t you already know Bey has had a tasteful boob job done already? :coffee: hmmmmmm I’m surprised..

Good Morning Roses and Bless Jolie’s heart!

Most celebrities are narcissists. They will do or say anything for attention. What Angelina describes sounds like breast implants surgery to me. Did she really have ALL of her breast tissue removed including all lymph nodes? :coffee:

goat76 says:

Dizamn!!

Deez nutz may end up cancerous one day, but for now. I’m keeping mine’s.

Good Morning y’all!! :wave:

:shrug:

GOOD MORNING :wave:
      Naija :happy:

SANDRITa :eggs:
      How bout theM Bulls :tea:

WUT WUT

————-

MsOnederful says:

Wayment Auntie. Don’t you already know Bey has had a tasteful boob job done already? hmmmmmm I’m surprised..

All I’m saying is, Beyonce probably wishes she would’ve thought of this story when she had her breasts implants put in. Think of the mileage Beyonce would’ve gotten out of this story. :coffee:

MetroAtlMrs
      A.J.
      RAZZLEEEE
      GOAT :hug:
      Jay
      Morning

A.J. says:

(Brought Upstairs)
      But what got me was when Kirk and Scrappy was in the strip club and girl hit that split…. Scrappy was like OOOHHHHHHH!!! Kirk
      Scrappy was like OOOHHH in yo face..i hollered :rofl: Scrappy and his own language is hilarious. I believe Kirk turned away!

@GOAT
      What is that in your Gravie??

Hey Luvn….

I’m trying not to feed the beyonce gator..

A.J. says:

Sup Luvn :hug:

LOL DAMN RAZZZ THAT Comparison in ur GRaViE :hahaha:

NaijaGal says:

some of yall are asses

LUV N :happy: hola mamacita :hug:

some of yall are asses
      :haha:

Mhhh HMM

lovezoe says:

So Sandra you think she is lying? The doctor on CBS said she reduced her chances to 5%. As a former nurse, you should know the seriousness of the BRAC1/2 gene. What a terrible existence to be so hateful.

MetroAtlMrs says:

I wouldn’t feel any less as a woman with a boob job either….IJS

Keesh says:

Well bless her…..

JD says:

So did she have her ovaries removed too? She is at a high risk for Ovarian Cancer too?

Gigi26 says:

Kudos to her, I had a friend in HS who had breast cancer (she was only 18) thank GOD she survived but that was some really serious shyt to deal with so that was her wise choice and we should respect her for it.

Damn Sandra I would think you would have some tact when it comes to the seriousness of this. :no:

Miany says:

:hug: Naija… so glad you said that. My aunt died of breast cancer in the late 80′s. Didn’t remove her breast cuz her husband didn’t want her too. Obviously she didn’t know the severity. My ex’s mom (2010) removed her breast and still died because the cancer had already spread to vital organs… Folk who think cancer is funny, a game or a publicity ploy can kiss my whole azz. :kiss:

Such A F'n Lady says:

______________________________

Sandra,

Now I know you believe that all celebrities are narcissists, but maybe just maybe she did have all of the breast tissue removed to ensure that there was the least chance of her developing cancer and having to endure what her mother did. There have been many women to do that and I wouldn’t think that she would release the story just because she wanted breast implants. What she described didn’t sound anything like breast implant surgery because that is usually all done in one procedure. From what you posted above it looks like she had 3 procedures done over a course of about 3 months. And so what that she got breast implants? I mean, it’s sad to say but part of her job as an actress depends on her body so why would she not have reconstructive surgery to be able to do her job. Would you not do the same if say something happened to say your hand and you weren’t able to type? If there were a surgery to allow you to still be able to type with a prosthetic hand instead?

Such A F'n Lady says:

Anywhoo, mornin’ all! :waves:

A.J. says:

:cosign:

bless her heart

Chelle514 says:

Good morning good people..today is a NATIONAL HOLIDAY

IT’S MY BIRTHDAY

:happybirthday: :partyhat: :cheer: :woohoo:

Gigi26 says:

To me this was the most SELFLESS act, for her to remove her breasts so she can have the chance of seeing her children grow up. Is that not something to commend her for? Hell she is giving other women strength by talking about her own experiences and she’s self centered?! Come on now :no: That’s horrid

NaijaGal says:

:happybirthday: Chelle

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

I HEARD ABOUT THIS ON THE RADIO THIS MORNING, SENDING UP PRAYERS, I DON’T GIVE A DAMN WHAT SHE WROTE, AT THIS POINT WHATEVER HELPS TO GET HER THRU THIS-GOD BLESS HER!!

I HAVE A SISTER IN LAW WHOSE FIGHTING CANCER AND WAS TOLD SHE WAS TERMINAL AND EXPECTED TO LIVE SIX MONTHS, SHE’S ALIVE AND WELL 2 YEARS LATER-HER FAITH IS INSPIRING AND UNSHAKEABLE

YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU MAY SAY OR WRITE WHEN YOU ARE FACED WITH DEATH :coffee:

A.J. says:

Happy Burf-day Chelle

Diva says:

I just read this article this morning and I must say I was like kudos to her. Good morning Roses

@hubby :kiss:

goat76 says:

luVn_liFe… says:

@GOAT
      What is that in your Gravie??
      ————————

Hey LuVn :hug:

LOL… it’s Ndamukong Suh chasing Honey Boo-Boo for an ice cream sammich.

A.J. says:

good stuff :thumbsup:

flsun99 says:

I’m fighting with the decision to have genetic testing done. I lost my Mother 17 years ago to breast cancer. I had a dr tell me one time that if i wasn’t prepared to remove both breast, that I shouldn’t be tested. I’m 38 now and I have two adult children and a 9 year old at home. My husband told me that if removing my breast is going to save my life, then do it. I’m praying if I have the test, the probabilty of me getting cancer is less than slim to none.
      I commend Angelina Jolie for doing this. I really do.

Such A F'n Lady says:

:partyhat: Happy Birthday Chelle!!!

:eek:

Poor Brad Pitt…
      **every nigga thinking that before yall wet yall panties**

But um, good look and chit to Angelina. Guess that career is a wrap. And who she foolin talkin bout she 37?? :huh:

Betamax82 says:

Happ B’day Chelle :partyhat:

goat76 says:

Good Morning Diva :kiss:

A.J. says:

Diva hey babe :kiss:

@A.J.
      “My aunt is battling with colon cancer as we speak. She just had to remove a portion of her top colon a few weeks ago. Things are looking up though. Can we get a new topic Sandra? (my high is coming down)

Can’t cosign enough.

Diva says:

Happy Birthday Chelle! Let’s pop open a bottle and celebrate! :koolaid3:

@Sandra can we get a bottle of bottle emote please and thank you?

Diva says:

Numba 45 & 46 at the same dayum time!!!! :shakebutt: :boobs: hey you handsome men!!!!!

NaijaGal says:

:newpost: is up

Miany says:

Happy birthday @Chelle514 :party:
      @Sandra.. yeah.. the new topic would be greatly appreciated.

@DIVA

:hugs:
      :jack: <<respectfully avoids your eye

Morning and chit!

:newpost: On the BOSHHHHH :newpost:

Such A F’n Lady says:

And part of my job as a blogger is to create dialogue. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion. All opinions are welcomed and respected. :coffee:

lovezoe says:

Difference between creating dialogue and what you THINK you are doing :coffee:

Trendsetter says:

It’s a lady that I follow on IG and her story is amazing. She survived breast cancer…I say follow her… her name is boldandbreastless on IG. She had her breast removed and opted not to have implants…

goat76 says:

JD says:

—————
      Damn good question.

My mom had Ovarian Cancer 1992. Breast Cancer in 2006. 2 years ago she had gall bladder and pancreas issue. I thought it was probably cancer.

Last year we found out my grandmother has Ovarian Cancer, she like 88.

NaijaGal says:

TREND – I follow her too…she has an amazing spirit

AllNYC says:

D says:

—————
      Damn good question.

Last year we found out my grandmother has Ovarian Cancer, she like 88.
      ——————————————————————–

As drastic as a double mastectomy seems, it is still not the same as removing ovaries. Removing the ovaries means the hormone levels will be affected and she’ll have to take hormone replacement for a lifetime. Hormone replacement has its own risks as well. That’s a lot to consider at 37.

Trendsetter says:

NaijaGal says:

TREND – I follow her too…she has an amazing spirit

_________________________

she sure does! I love reading her posts

She had 87% of her breast tissue removed. I’m not sure about the lympnodes. I commend her and wish her a speedy recovery

Denim says:

I am a twin of a Breast Cancer survivor, and I have to say this is no joking matter.Beyonce is irrelevant on this post. There are people who refuse this procedure and die because they are too vain to have this surgery.They may see she did it voluntarily and may op to do so also. Thankfully for us my sister was diagnosed @ stage 1, she also had double mastectomy done and had implants put in as well.She was 27 when diagnosed why should she spend rest of her life without breasts (fake or not). She had the gene that was passed on from my father’s side. If her mother died from Breast Cancer and she has the gene she is absolutely correct in having the surgery it would be dumb of her not too. If I had the gene I would also get the surgery done voluntarily no questions asked because I watched my twin go thru chemo,freezing her eggs etc as she did her mom.It’s a NO Brainer!I commend her for not only doing it but sharing with the world! My sis is 2+ yrs in remission thank you god!

Ange did preventative care but it sounds like more to the story. Whatever that diagnosis is I’m sure it was more grim than what she is opening up about to take these next steps. Not many women after this procedure can afford implants and some prefer not to. My grand-aunt who was in her 60′s had both breast removed and lived until 93 for that selfless choice. She made it work for herself. With PS being less taboo now, implants can be affordable if one wants it. Good for her, as someone who has seen what Cancer does in many forms, I wish it on no one not even a celeb. Cyber Waves.

Chelle514 says:

THANKS FOR THE BIRTHDAY SHOUT-OUTS :thankyou:

kahmmillion says:

If you know anyone with cancer….click on my name…this may help. Do some research. Cancer is no joke.