R.I.P. Ruby Dee

Ruby Dee

Legendary actress Ruby Dee has died at age 91, a family member confirmed Thursday.

The Grammy-winning actress is best known for her stage and screen work in films such as “A Raisin in the Sun” (1961), Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing” (1989), and the 1979 TV movie “Roots: The Next Generation”. Ruby Dee and her husband of 57 years, actor Ossie Davis, had an open marriage.

“It occurred to us, from observation and reasoning, that extramarital sex was not what really destroyed marriages, but rather the lies and deception that invariably accompanied it — that was the culprit,” Ossie, 97, wrote in their joint autobiography.

He wrote that they gave each other permission to sleep with other partners — as long as they were “honest as well as private, and that neither of us exposed the family to scandal or disease.”

“But looking back, I’d say no matter what did or did not happen, we freed each other. And in doing that, we also freed ourselves…Sex is fine, but love is better,” he wrote.

Ruby wrote:

“We both came to realize that we were very fortunate that, in all of the deep profound, fundamental ways, we really, really only wanted each other. It was like a rediscovery of something from the beginning. It’s not something that you’d recommend to everybody. But often Ossie has said – and I’ve though too – the best way to have somebody is to let it go. If it doesn’t come back you are free in another kind of sense – in that you find the strength to let go and wish somebody well. So, we thought an open marriage was appropriate for us but it turned out not to be. But then that’s what we’re all about, we are moving from one position to another in the process of trying to unravel this thing call life.”

Photo: Splash News Online

120 Responses to “R.I.P. Ruby Dee”

buddapecan says:

:cry:

San ah make ya dance says:

She lived a long life :yes:

San ah make ya dance says:

What her sex life got to do with her great accolades :huh:

WUT IZ REALLY GOING ON? :blink: says:

RIP Ruby…

Bootcampgirl says:

R.I.P., agree with @San :yes:

LaceJagger says:

Ossie died in 2005, he would have been 97 this year…

MissHarlem says:

:nun: RIP

A truly beautiful woman :cry: rest well… we lost another great :crying: she is with Ozzie now ……

What the hell does sex have to do with :facepalm:

Might I add was beautiful all the way to the end :nun:

Audacious2 says:

R.I.P. Ruby Dee! Now I didn’t know she and Ossie divorced. I do recall him being found dead in a Miami hotel room, no more info was released about his death whether he was alone or if he had a heart attack.

Thanks @ LaceJagger.

datsmdubya2u says:

Dey got divorced? :cry: is nothing sacred?

Every newspaper has an obituary already written for every living star. All they have to do is plug in the dates.

MissHarlem says:

JENIE I too was confused as to why sex was written in the post.

Afiya says:

AWWW, Rest in Peace Lovely Lady…your man awaits you! :cry:

——–
    We know it weren’t Missy J who told cause she just found out :kona:

Tea Is Finally Here says:

Anybody see this headline on Yahoo?…..Kelly Rowland Pregnant with Future Personal Assistant to Blue Ivy

Buttercup says:

the best way to have somebody is to let it go.
    ============
    I understood what the old heads meant when they used to say this, but now I GET it.

I’m happy that she lived a long life.

I’ve always loved Ruby Dee. Beautiful soul and lady. Rest in paradise Soror :pray:

San ah make ya dance says:

What her sex life got to do with her great accolades

I guess they saying that when J.Ho and Kimmy Cakes die they gonna be saints too. :nun: ppl cant wait til you die so they can say what they wouldnt have said if you were alive. nobody was talking about how Maya Angelou used to be a stripper until she passed. The media is weird that way.

BEAUTIFUL WOMAN! :nun: she lived a long life. :heart:

WAYMENT I am just getting to the write up and I saw open marriage :facepalm:
    We gone drag on her life exit? #weak :ghost:

R.I.P. :nun: …. Raisin in the Sun was on tv just last week. she was an awesome actress, activist, and advocate – hopefully she’ll be remembered as such, amongst other things :tea:

The both of them I admired but for the record not for their marital things …. hell I have my parents for that …. but Ossie and Ruby were great activist…. my parents put me on as a younging… you can’t help but admire people that fought for a cause :sad: this is sad…. let me call my mamma :cell: BRB!

:blink:
    WEIRD

:kona:

datsmdubya2u says:

So if they ended up divorced when they was both “old as hell” btw ( :waves: hey Jennie). What does that say about open marriages?

Tea Is Finally Here says:

Oh the shade…..Congratulations to Kelly Rowland and Blue Ivy Carter! May the future Rowland-Witherspoon child be as fastidious at signing non-disclosure agreements as he/she will be at carrying out Starbucks orders.

Buttercup says:

the best way to have somebody is to let it go.
    ============

I’m happy that she lived a long life.
    ____________________________

“Im lettin her do her and in turn she’s doin me” one of my favorite Jay Z verses (among many) :yes:

Harlem :no: as many wonderful accomplishments this woman has done and husband …. we get the marital woes sex scandal story :no: that ain’t right :no:

Gigi26 says:

RIP Ruby, she was a phenomenal actress and she aged very well :yes:

Class till the very end, 91? Shiiid she lived long n strong. She was very wise too :yes:

Dubya :kiss: <<<< on your forehead

__________________________

:yes:
    I remarked on that when they were reporting Tracy’s bus accident on CNN on saturday. i told Mister, the way they’re running down his resume and roles, you’d think they were reading his obit. :no:

luVn_liFe… says:

:blink:
    WEIRD

Why I just BOL :rofl: when I saw this :lol:

Afiya says:

WOW, I’m surprised too many folks don’t know who Rudy Dee & Ozzie Davis were…they lookin’ at me like “WHO?” :(

missyJ says:

Everyone on here in the single digits? As far as partners go?

==================

Nah I’m around LTL if anyone speaks freight and logistics :lol: j/k

LaceJagger says:

@sandra you’re welcome :-)

Str8tUpMenace says:

R.I.P. We lost another great

missyJ says:

==========

Where @Man at? He need to read this right here!

datsmdubya2u says:

Everyone on here in the single digits? As far as partners go?

==================

Nah I’m around LTL if anyone speaks freight and logistics j/k

by missyJ on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm
    —————————–

I was just wonder cause folk is lettin jlo have it. In this day and age a woman in her 40 s prob has done a lot ijs

Everyone on here in the single digits? As far as partners go?
    ==================
    I replied downstairs :tea:

yes, but not usually back to back to back to back to back

you are right tho, single ppl do get it in but the kitty cat needs a nap sometimes. let that monkey rest before it falls out the socket :phew:

datsmdubya2u says:

We’ll one that looks like jlo anyway men been after datazz since she was 12 prolly

===========
    Knowing that someone could spend time and effort on anyone else, but they choose to spend it with you is one way we should determine if things are real.

*blows non-existent bangs* I need to lay on the blog’s couch for a minute. Y’all feel like being shyt for a few minutes?

missyJ says:

In this day and age a woman in her 40 s prob has done a lot ijs

=============

:huh: What folks you know?? Yo people be goin to them “parties” getting the gift or something?

Just Looking says:

RIP RUBY DEE

missyJ says:

===================

What you need Butters?

Make yo font white toward User tho… She ain’t trying to comfort NTBAWDY tah-day :tea:

Talk to me Butter. I am outside for about 15 more minutes :lol:

:rofl: my friend went to one of them parties and her co-worker was there. :facepalm:

mind you, they are both teachers :eek:

MissHarlem says:

JENIE distasteful indeed :no:

:yawn:

wHats doing, can we get a comical post or informative or sumthiN anything Sandrita?

datsmdubya2u says:

In this day and age a woman in her 40 s prob has done a lot ijs

=============

by missyJ on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:

Nope you don’t know the saying get the number of partners and multiply by 3?

Buttercup says:

Okay, I’ll try ti keep it brief without leaving out pertinent information.

StankBUGG! :wave:

Beta says:

:wail: RIP Ruby

missyJ says:

my friend went to one of them parties and her co-worker was there

=================

Awkward …. :popcorn: did :hunching: tho?

:think: I wonder what happened with that posters 15 yr old nephew and 39 yr olD GF

:shock: Oh BETA! ummmh. :rofl: that gravie scared me! :hahaha:

Awkward …. did tho?

she said she saw him in the parking lot but they both acted like they didnt see each other.

….thts what she said :shrugs:

Buttercup says:

Okay, I’ll try ti keep it brief without leaving out pertinent information.
    June 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm
    —-
    Hurry up. You should have bean had this typed :waiting:
    Didn’t I say I got limited time? :spank:

datsmdubya2u says:

IJS same folk judgin jlo prolly got around too… JLOs list doesn’t seem high to me based on her access to men power and money… :shrugs:

MissHarlem says:

LUVN :waves: hey hun. I’m still waiting on my text :waiting:

I Really like Haley’s Cut up top. Its so much work to keep up

for the record, iont care bout lopez’s count, her c0cks, her cooch, her c.u.next tuesday, her nothing :shrug: but, hey, everyone’s entitled to their opinion :shrug:
    seems odd though, that lopez is worth defending, but there was a whole list of ‘thou shalt nots’ that Beyonce shoulda been observing ‘because she’s a mother now’ all based on her attire (or lack thereof :lol: ), so, lopez can put it in a blender and serve her milkshake to ALL the boys and i’m still not interested. her mileage don’t put wear & tear on my vehicle. also, she’s a public figure, so folks gonna comment on nearly everything she does. :shrug:

VDot says:

RIP Ruby Dee!!

essenze says:

Rip Ruby Dee. Yeah I didn’t need to know all of THAT about her and Ossie but different strokes for BBB different folks. As far as partners that’s between me and the man upstairs but let’s just say Ms. Essenze has lived quite a life while she was in her 20′s :-)

Beta says:

Why fo Luvn :lol:

aRoTh says:

RIP Ruby.

Wasn’t she was in American Gangsta as well?

Buttercup says:

So Honey Dip and I have a mutual friend who is a male. He was Honey Dip’s friend first, and I met him later (before Honey Dip and I got together), so we each have our one relationship with him, and it just made the times the 3 of us would hang out that much easier.

Just as I did with my girl freeeens, I let him know that I was in town and would like to catch up. We went to dinner and to a chill bar afterwards. He paid for dinner, and I paid forth drinks. During outing he would say things like he shouldnt have introduced Honey Dip and I, he likes women with my build, he wants to marry a woman who is a nurturing woman like myself, etc. Before Honey Dip and I got together, I knew dude had a crush on me, but I was never interested in being more than friends with him.

Fast forward to a couple of nights ago, we had dinner and he took me to see the place he just bought. Then he asks me to pinky promise something :huh: I said okay, because I understaood where he was getting at. He then said that he’s really enjoyed my company the last 2 timed we hung out. He liked me before Honey Dip and I got together. He just felt that he should let me know because he feels he’s missed out on good women because he didn’t open his mouth. I basically said, “Oh, that’s nice.”

I really didn’t think anything of it until the next morning- blame the merlot. Then I started to get pissed. I feel like he put me in a tough spot. Even though we’re technically together, I don’t want to keep things from Honey Dip. Honey Dip considers this guy to be a good friend- like groomsman type good friend. Then again, I told dude that I wouldn’t say anything. I’m torn :confused:

MrsL says:

RIP Soror. :cry:

missyJ says:

Butter it has been 15 minutes nah! WHere is yew?

:offtopic; walking back to work and to avoid talking to someone I put my earphones and started moving my mouth like I was talking. The person got the hint. But I just realized I had no sound coming out I was just mouthing…. They probably was like :rolleyes: But I don’t even care.
    :hahaha: Stuff petty people do

Just Looking says:

yes, but not usually back to back to back to back to back
    I’ve know people mostly men, that have slept with multiple people in the same day.

Now on to the 40 thang. :tea:

Didn’t have sex until I was 20.

Unfortunately; there were times, I felt like I should have experienced more DYCK, but now I’m glad I didn’t. Because, i’m thankful I know about VALTREX through commercials.

Please excuse the typos. I am on my ipad and was rushing for MsT :winky:

aRoTh says:

@Butter

:huh: Sounds like a setup to see if YOU “loyal”.

I hate men right now anyway, so. :karate:

Butter
    I wouldn’t mention it NOR would I continue to associate on that type of level with the male friend either :no:

Just Looking says:

luVn_liFe… says:

StankBUGG! :wave:

Hey Girl *giggles

VDot says:

Buttercup – I wouldn’t say anything. Just know that man is jacking off at thoughts of you and Mr. Buttercup :hump: :eek: He may even have pics of you and Mr. but he put a pic of his face over Mr’s :yes:

:rofl: :hahaha:

*Honey Dip and I technically AREN’ T together

aRoTh says:

luVn_liFe… says:

Butter

…THEY on some “bros before hoes” type chit right now. I can feel it. :huh: LOL

Just Looking says:

MisTaken is #unbothered :cool: says:

:hahaha: Stuff petty people do
    This made me bust out laughing. I do this all the time…ONce I pretended I was on the phone and the phone rang…..

:kona:

VDot says:

But I just realized I had no sound coming out I was just mouthing….

:dead: You are contained :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :facepalm:

I do too. just seems like a lot of work for my lazy ass :phew:

also, fuxing and being in a public relationship when you have kids are two different things. I dont want my kids to have that many “uncles” but J. Lo cant live her life for me…..or her kids either for that matter. she gotta get in wherever she fits in and apparently she fits in some of everythang. she got that universal remote pussay.

Butter :( Even if you don’t tell your Honey you and dude can’t hang like that anymore :no: Ouy of respect to him. At least that’s how I operate. My husband might not ever ask me to cut ties bc he wouldn’t wanna seen jealous but best believe if I told him he would approach the dude. And to prevent somebody get they legs bent byke like paper clips and their ceiling end up missing :crying1: I’d rather tell dude toodles. And if he gets mad then he’s not a real friend nor the type of man you thought he was. If he was with you he wouldn’t want you hanging with a man who liked you and basically is pursuing you. After all you two are long distance right now… Things can get dicey real quick.. Temptation is real :yes:

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Butter on one hand you did promise no to say anything and on the other hand ol dude did put you in a tough spot by proclaiming his feelings. I dont think you should say anything to Honey Dip it would be different if he had tried to kiss you or something. Now that you know how he feels I would just try to steer clear of him. This is just my opinion. I never been in this kind of predicament and would hate to tell you some wrong azz chit. But here :hug:

Just Looking says: Hey Girl *giggles
    ~~~

This sunDAy IS DEDDY’s day, whatchu doing for Mister?

aRoTh says:

*Honey Dip and I technically AREN’ T together

SEE, TOTAL SET UP! THEY frens and they trying to test YOU out. Don’t fall for it. Next thing you know, Honey Dip gone come with a ring out the blue.

THEY done talked about this amongst themselves. Dip done confided in him and then they hatched the plan. I promise this sound like some of that “nigg@” chit dudes be on. I PROMISE! Watch how this chit plays out. :popcorn:

bama_n_jersey says:

Rest in Peace my beautiful Soror.

Buttercup says:

Sounds like a setup to see if YOU “loyal”.
    ============
    :lol: I could buy that, but we’ve been together 6 years. Long gone are the days of playing those games.

This dude always tries to one-up Honey Dip too. When Honey Dip was looking at purchasing his condo, dude asked if he could afford it. ” :huh: Just because I don’t talk about my money doesn’t mean I’m not getting it.” <—-Honey Dip's response.

bama_n_jersey says:

Rest in Peace my beautiful Soror.

Beta says:

Honey Dip and I technically AREN’ T together

Waymin how’d I miss ya’ll parting separate ways :huh: miss 1 day on the blog miss a lot

bama_n_jersey says:

Ugh..stupid phone double posting

missyJ says:

@Butter

He didn’t TRY anything so I wouldn’t say anything. You do need to quit playing frens with this guy and say there will never be a you and I, regardless of my relationship with Honey Dip.

VDot says:

SEE, TOTAL SET UP!

I hope not, because that would be the dumbest test ever. He’d be better off getting someone she didn’t know to try to holler. Not his boy, who she’s also friends with.

Naw that nucca just feeling Butter. That’s why he’s out here panky promising and ish which is rather wack . :eyeroll:

VDot says:

:newpost: Rich people and shyt :eyeroll:

aRoTh says:

….and b/c I been on the “fuvk nigg@s they ain’t chit” tip since Jan…what type of dude makes you “pinky” swear? Type of chit is THAT? Even if he and Dip ain’t trying to test you, he’s shady for even doing this behind his back. Should have kept his damn feelin’s to his damn self. I would have blew him off (like you sorta did) when he started talking that crap. Boi bye witcho ole shady messy boots ass. Ugh.

missyJ says:

Have you ever told HD about the things he has said previously?

:newpost:

aRoTh says:

Vdot says:

Nigg@ ARE DUMB! They do DUMB CHIT! Ask me how I know. LOL

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

@Buttah, He ain’t try to kiss or feel on you so I’d keep it to myself. Honey Dip fukk around and turn it on you on some “well you shouldn’t have went to his place in the first place” ****. :no:

aRoTh says:

Vdot says:

That’s why he’s out here panky promising and ish which is rather wack
    ________________________

See #98. LOL :tea:

VDot says:

Ask me how I know.

How you know? :popcorn: I sense a lot of anger and hurt in your font. Let’s discuss. Something in regards to your “situation”?

Just Looking says:

luVn_liFe… says:

Just Looking says: Hey Girl *giggles
    ~~~
    This sunDAy IS DEDDY’s day, whatchu doing for Mister?
    ############
    Hey booga- Ummm we going to my daddy house tonight in NJ – Dropping one kid off
    Coming back on Saturday – Dropping another off at airport
    Sunday – We are going to witness the the I DO’s

Cooking him some Lamb, Mashed Cauliflowers, and Kale (tossed with lemon juice) not cooked
    Got him a gift card at the running store….and :hump: in my new nightie

Buttercup says:

But if I put the shoe on the other foot, I would feel that Honey Dip lied through omission by not telling me. That could start to chip away at trust. Ultimately, my loyalty lies with Honey Dip. Then again I swore to secrecy.

I’m getting :mad: all over again. Why put someone in that situation? I kinda feel like Honey Dip should know that he isn’t loyal. Even if we had been broken up for years, it still wouldn’t be okay to date your dude’s ex. I probably should tell y’all that one of Honey Dip’s friendships has ended for this very thing. Dude and ole girl just got married. Honey Dip felt it was super grimey that his friend didn’t tell him he was dating his ex.

Wow, Butter. you can’t know what this guy’s ‘game’ might be. but you CAN keep it real with all parties involved. tell dude that although you ‘promised’ not to say anything, he needs to back-off and respect whatever you & honey dip got going on right now (you say yall not together technically :brokenheart: but dude don’t need that level of detail. use this time to decide where YOU want your ‘situationship’ to go). and if you do suspect that he’s testing you, tell him that in the event you decide to marry HD, that lil pinky promise is gon be arse out, cause you aint finna rent no tux for him w/out HD knowing the deal. :lol: :hug:

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

@Buttah, Do what you feel is best for y’all. Only you know the ins and outs and full dynamics of your relationship. You know how Honey Dip operates. I feel you on him needing to know that niggah ain’t loyal too. Loyalty is EVERYTHING! Now I’m mad at his ass for putting you in that situation. :mad:

aRoTh says:

VDot says:

Ask me how I know.

How you know? I sense a lot of anger and hurt in your font. Let’s discuss. Something in regards to your “situation”?
    ________________________

Not hurting……anymore. LOL There is no longer a “situation”. It’s all taken care of. Let’s just say…

When you nignore a nig after it’s “over”, they tend to do stupid chit like:

A.) slash your tire
    B.) put a nail in your tire after you didn’t respond to the slashed tire
    C.) leave TWO tips of a knife in your tire after you get the nail tire fixed AND still don’t respond or react to the nail in your tire
    D.) when THAT doesn’t work, they spend all day riding by your house……in broad daylight
    E.) when you don’t respond to THAT they run up on your porch and yell HAPPY MOTHERS DAY in your window and go and get back in their car like that’s normal
    F.) when you tell them that normal ppl don’t do that and they need to get some bizness bout theyself they
    G.) send you a text msg a week later asking for a make-up date/truce
    H.) then leaves a $100 bill in your mailbox

:facepalm:

No problems here. LOL :nun:

VDot says:

:wtf: :wtf:

Ummmmm that chit sounds CRAZY!!! :wtf:

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

This is HILARIOUS!! :rofl: You had a straight lunatic!

*hope I made sense earlier I am phone posting*
    Let me go back and read what I wrote lol

free says:

“So, we thought an open marriage was appropriate for us but it turned out not to be.” doesn’t it always…. :coffee:

Buttercup says:

MsT, your message was crystal clear :hug: Thank you, sugar.

free says:

MisTaken is #unbothered :cool: says: And to prevent somebody get they legs bent byke like paper clips and their ceiling end up missing

*****************************

free says:

Buttercup says: Just as I did with my girl freeeens, I let him know that I was in town and would like to catch up.

******************************

Bill Duke —> “You done ****ed up, you know that don’t you?”

OpinionHated says:

I don’t get open marriages – why be married if you want to phuck other people just be single – the very term open marriage is an oxymoron – open marriage is what sex crazed people use as an excuse to double dip – if you with me be with me if you want to phuck an occassional random puzzy then leave me alone…. if it works for you great but I don’t share dyck or pannies…

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Butter, tell honey dip the truth. Fuggin his friend. The pastor just told us these how’s ain’t loyal!! Tell him. He loves you and your kid. Do right.

lovebites says:

they did not divorce he died……

SoNastyandSoRude says: