Is this VW Super Bowl ad racist?

Racist VW Super Bowl ad

I had to ask because some people are crying racism after viewing this Volkswagen Super Bowl ad. The ad features a Caucasian office worker from Minnesota who is so happy with his new Volkswagen that he spreads joy to his co-workers by speaking with a Jamaican accent.

The first person who came to mind when I watched the ad was native New Yorker Bobby McFerrin, who sang his saccharine 80s hit song, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”, with a Jamaican accent.

The only people who take offense at this commercial are the ones who don’t know that Caucasian Jamaicans exist, or miserable people who are constantly on the lookout for an axe to grind. Such as New York Times writer Charles Blow who calls the ad “blackface with voices.” Come on, lighten up Mr. Blow.

• Kanye West’s Super Bowl Ad; Plus, Banned Durex Condom Ad
  • FanMAIL: Why Your Readers Refuse to Give Bush Props for Aid to Africa?
  • Ciroc doesn’t like dark skinned African Americans
  • Beverage company marketing racism?

71 Responses to “Is this VW Super Bowl ad racist?”

LadieLeo says:

Folk love to make something out of nothing :tea:

NaijaGal says:

I’m more disturbed about these grown ass men in a Beetle…the commercial was cute…brought a smile to my face…and yeah it’s taking offense to chit like this that makes folks roll their eyes and call “black folks” racially sensitive…everything is not racist

Its the times,disect/pick everytTHING Apart and make something of it.

:egs: GOOD MORNING SANDRA

FuturedocDonte says:

:rolleyes: Oh the racism

What up Roses… \___/ gon drop them panties in that bucket :waves:

Milky says:

Good Morning All!
      future
      luvn :kiss:
      naija :hug:
      ladieleo

:wave: <——my pannies for the bucket!!

From downstairs:
      Hey Luvn, in re: TM, Janelle is very sad but I have to give her her props for wanting to find out who Jace’s real pappy is. Leah she is so stuck on that illusion of family that it’s sickening to a point but, don’t get me wrong I kind of like the new dude, I think it’s too early to be getting married or pregnant but, it’s her life not mine. And if fkg Chelsea does not get the fck over Adam, I wanted to slap her through my tv screen last night. Kailyn’s baby is sooooo uber cute with his little hair cut…

:cosign: with Naija

NaijaGal says:

Former NBA player Lorenzen Wright signed a $1 Million life insurance policy in 2010 after before he filed for divorce from Sherra Wright, hoping that his kids would be taken care of if he died. Unfortunately….he was found dead five months after the policy went into effect. Interesting timing.

Now you might think Sherra would save money for her kids’ college funds or perhaps save some of the $1M for the future….but no. She didn’t. In fact, reports by commercialappeal.com say most of the money was gone within 10 months.

So how do you spend away your kid’s future and dead ex-husband’s legacy? Here’s some of the expenses:

$26,000 on a Lexus
      $32,000 on a Cadillac Escalade
      $69,000 on furniture
      $11,750 for a trip to New York
      $339,000 to buy a new home and renovate
      $7,000 on a pool
      $5,000 for lawn equipment
      $34,000 on lawyers

Bootcampgirl says:

BALTIMORE, Md. – Jurors in the murder trial of a man accused of killing a North Carolina teenager saw a sexually explicit cell phone video of the victim, her sister, the man accused of killing her and his younger brother.

The dead teen’s sister also testified Monday at the trial of 28-year-old Michael Maurice Johnson, who is accused of killing 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes.

Twenty-nine-year-old Deena Barnes admitted that she gave Phylicia alcohol and said she and Phylicia were intoxicated when the cell phone video was recorded.

Johnson’s lawyers have said there is no DNA evidence linking their client to the 2010 slaying of Phylicia, who lived in Monroe, N.C. The teenager was visiting relatives in Baltimore when she disappeared. Her body was found in the Susquehanna River months after she went missing.
      This is not looking good for the D.A.

MILKY :hug: morning ma

Bootcampgirl says:

:waves: <—-my panties I ain't wearing this morning…

How the flawk is this racist?? :rolleyes: If anything why is a grown man riding around in a red bettle like that :lol:

“de land of ten tousand leks mon!”

Milky says:

:hi: @boot
      You guys please special :pray: for my Granny that’s in the hospital!! Thanks in advance!!! :kiss:

Hey Milky :waves: :pray: for granny Milky

@Naija I see we think alike on the bettle…

But how does she spend over a half a mil like that and not think about her kids???

Milky says:

thanks boot and razzle dazzle :kiss:

Lil Kim looks unrecognizable. kinda clown-like!

clown like, like the photo in your gravie right? lol

Nakeya_j says:

Morning Roses!!! What did I miss already? Did we talk Love and Hip Hop or Black Ink?

Trendsetter says:

Good Morning Roses

I watched LHH and Black Ink…I missed Catfish..was it good?

LadieLeo says:

Sending some timber up for your Granny Milky :)

Miany says:

GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING!!!
      :waves:
      ..black folk will always call you out…I caught the ‘flu’ late last week so I called off yesterday. I was at the beach ‘fighting the flu’…had the best time ever…SO I decided to come into work with donuts today and one of the agents say “don’t fall for it, she only got us donuts to make up for yesterday!”…black folk will always call u out.

Cissy determined to sell her book I see

Miany says:

@Milky..good morning :pray: for your grandma!

LadieLeo says:

@Bootcamp that story is horrific. I’m thinking her mom had no idea she was sending her child into a hornets nest. What kind of sisters lets their teenager sister act that way. Hell she facilitated that madness by providing her alcohol. So sad :(

Hey Nakeya/Trend :waves:
      I watched both, Catfish, I thought, was good…

Miany says:

@Naija..what did Cissy say now? Which onna Nippy’s secrets she peddling now?

Catfish was just a hot ass mess…I refuse to believe dude is 22 cause bay-bee

Milky says:

thanks@ ladieleo
      Good Murntin
      trend
      nakeya :koolaid3: is it too early?

Nakeya_j says:

Cissy determined to sell her book I see
      —-
      Yeah I missed her on Oprah last night….ok that’s a lie, I was never going to turn it on. What was she on there for anyway, just the book?

Bootcampgirl says:

@Ladieleo, agreed, and they are definetely going to sling mud on the victim about that recording…

Nakeya_j says:

is it too early?
      —-
      Baby it’s NEVER too early! Hell it’s 12 o’ clock somewhere! Pour up!

Trendsetter says:

Boot :hug:

Naija :hug: Are you talking about the interview with Oprah?

NaijaGal says:

LOVE & HIP HOP – I’m actually liking Raqi…Tahiry would have no story if it wasn’t for crackhead Joe…the white girl is annoying, Consequence teeth assault me everytime he comes on screen…I’m thinking of pressing charges…I was with Raqi on why the red haired broad was clocking her puss miles

Milky says:

Cissy determined to sell her book I see

____________________________
      i heard about her on tjms this morning. i wouldnt want to capitalize off of my daughter’s death, but to each is their own!

Trendsetter says:

Nakeya_j says:

is it too early?
      —-
      Baby it’s NEVER too early! Hell it’s 12 o’ clock somewhere! Pour up!

:rofl: so true

NaijaGal says:

@MIANY – I just keep hearing about her interviews with everybody…I’m just saying why and what else could you tell us…is she that broke…is she that desperate for some shine…I’m annoyed

Bootcampgirl says:

@Naija, :rofl: James but stealing ass was like :crying: spend the day with me…I died..What I won’t talk about was that PDA… :tape:

I was with Raqi on why the red haired broad was clocking her puss miles
      ———
      :huh: ?

==========================
      defense attorney 101, make the victim the villan

Trendsetter says:

___________________________

Raqi is ok…I love her hair. Tahiry is cool, but her story line is Joe…btw, where’s his girl at? Let me not start on Cons oh he irks my nerves…he act like a lil b*tch…his baby mama is so unattractive. I can’t stand Olivia, ain’t nobody checking for her

Nakeya_j says:

—–
      Ummm I am still trying to figure out why Olivia thinks she is hot and is all above other people. I mean, even the freaking OMG girls have a deal, shyt, Ciara has a deal and a single out. Shyt K.Michelle has a deal now. Olivia is not gonna be hot ever again and no one is checking for her. That bysh think she is Beyonce. And let me find out Erica Mena can actually sing. Chiilleee…

Bootcampgirl says:

Yes, and why was Ronald McDonald so concerned with Raqi and what the fck she was doing, talking about she’s the industry whore…

NaijaGal says:

TREND – :hug: yeah I’m just annoyed she has a book and is really peddling with everybody…ugh

@BOOT – girl James was gonna hold on to his high yella love by any means necessary

Trendsetter says:

_________________________________

:cosign:

Bootcampgirl says:

I did check the end out and it did sound like Erica can sing…

Trendsetter says:

Nakeya_j says:

—–

_____________________________

Erica didn;t sound to bad in the booth…I actually like her

LadieLeo says:

12 oclock somewhere, what happened to 5 oclock? :rofl:

I went to brunch Sunday I don’t know if it was even 12 oclock but I know them bottomless sangrias were the business! I was feeling nice :thumbsup:

NaijaGal says:

meh, I’m with Olivia on the Erica debacle…I’d be all indignant myself if anybody asked me to get on a track with that cokehead mess…but I’ve said before, Olivia’s not going far with Rich as her manager

Bootcampgirl says:

Cons baby mama really had me like :smack: last night. You had a child by a Muslim, did you not expect that he would want his seed to be raised Muslim? Then when she was talking to Raqi saying, oh I thought we would just figure it out..

FuturedocDonte says:

I haven’t been following lhhny for the past two seasons but if rich and Erica are dating that sht is staged :coffee:

========================
      I guess that’s the new thing…let’s have a baby and see where our relationship goes…like Mandy and Yandy, with Mandy wanting to start working on a baby girl in celebration of their son having a successful surgery :huh: nigguh ish

Bootcampgirl says:

In re: Black Ink Crew, I felt so sad for OS**t’s daughter’s having to leave, I could tell he really loved her. Cesar bm is a straight up bish..I love Puma, he cray cray. Alex was butt hurt about dude she just gave the cookies up to last show was messing with ‘ol girl getting the tatt…Next week in Vegas should be good, Dutchess going to get in Alex’s ass about fkng with Ceaser…

GAGIRL87 says:

___________________________________________________________________

Just logged in to say Naija you ain’t right :rofl: :peace:

OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY So i posted twice and neither posted :shrug:

Morning MILKY :kiss: How R U?
      Mainy
      Nakeyjah
      :wave:

@Boot
      Janele Is a LOSER,after 2yrs she’s now talking bout DNA,I guess
      Chelsea walks on her self esteem,thats why she has none.I Blame her parents if they would STOP Enabling her sooo Much and let her realize her self worth and see she can be great,She Would Do Better.

Trendsetter says:

_____________________________________

I felt bad too…dude has to go live in a homeless shelter…that’s f’d up…what’s the hype with Alex she ain’t even cute…nor does she have a body…not liking her…Dutchess and that other chick mad cool. Puma is so cool, I really like him. Ceaser is a ahole…not sure how to feel about him just yet…and his baby mama need her teeth fixed asap!

Nakeya_j says:

I guess that’s the new thing…let’s have a baby and see where our relationship goes…like Mandy and Yandy, with Mandy wanting to start working on a baby girl in celebration of their son having a successful surgery nigguh ish
      —–
      Didnt that jigs trial start today? Dirty ass.

Good Morning! :wave:

Is it just me or does Tahiry not have a neck? :shrug:

:newpost:

Nakeya_j says:

—–
      Is it just me not loving Dutchess? Sorry but I don’t. I don’t know if I believe that Cees does everything for the kid and the courts just said oh well. They clearly said that was his second extention, so he has a court order to pay. and clearly he is not. I really think Alex gets high. smdh. She is crazy.

Trendsetter says:

Nakeya_j says:

—–

What is it about Dutchess you don’t like? Do I think she beautiful, no…cool, yea

Str8tUpMenace says:

I was dozing on LHH & Black Ink. Puma is my fav on Black Ink. :yes: He looks like Pigpen, but seems to be the most grounded. I love OSh*t’s relationship with his daughter. He gets an A+. Dutchess is okay, loves her dreads.

J Said it! says:

this commercial wouldn make me want a VW.. you have to sell the product.. why not get a real jamaican to convince the masses…ok im out!

missmiami says:

Made me laugh

missmiami says:

I think Dutchess is gorgeous. I want her to kick Alex butt. That south came out her real quick in the preview for next episode

scorpio says:

Yes, people are trippin’ this is not racist! Now if they had painted their faces black, that’s a different story, but this is just a simple commercial, if anything, it gives positive attributes to the Jamaican people.

jealousCNenvy says:

the commercial is cute. Hey Roses

J2201987 says:

Since the Volkswagen is a German car, shouldn’t they be speaking in a Deutsch accent?

eastpointvet says:

nice commercial respect

PAHairston says:

Hello Family. Folks dont know what racism is. Take Recy Taylor. In 2011 the Ala State Legislature rendered an apology to 91 yr old Ms Taylor. You see, in 1944, when this black woman was walking home from church, 7 white men kidnapped her and 6 brutally raped her. In April 2011, the state leg finally told the lady they were sorry they did not arrest or convict anyone of this henious crime. Now that is racism. Have you all ever heard of the Martinsville Seven?