President Obama Delivers Commencement Address at Morehouse College

President Obama at Morehouse College

President Barack Obama was in town on Sunday to deliver the commencement address at Morehouse, the historically black, all-male college in Atlanta.

Mr. Obama was his usual, arrogant, cocky self as he delivered the Commencement Address. Obama received a polite smattering of applause when he told the graduates that they can no longer use the color of their skin as an excuse for making bad decisions.

Without elaborating, Mr. Obama said men in the black community continue to make bad choices. Obama, who is biracial, said he, too wrote off his failings as just another example of the world trying to keep a black man down. “Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to bridge bridges to nowhere and monuments of nothingness,” he said to another smattering of polite applause.

President Obama at Morehouse College

Obama acknowledged that racism and the “bitter legacy of slavery and segregation” have not vanished entirely just because he is the first biracial president.

“We know those are still out there,” he said.

But Obama dashed the hopes and dreams of the Morehouse graduates when he reminded them that millions of smart young people from China and India — many of whom “started with a whole lot less than all of you did” — will crush them in the global work force.

President Obama at Morehouse College

“Nobody is going to give you anything that you have not earned,” he reminded the graduates.

“Nobody cares how tough your upbringing was. Nobody cares if you suffered some discrimination. And moreover, you have to remember that whatever you’ve gone through, it pales in comparison to the hardships previous generations have endured. And they overcame them. And if they can overcome them, you can overcome them too.”

• President Obama Cries During Press Conference On Benghazi
  • The Honeymoon is Officially Over
  • Michelle Obama Accused of Turning Away Poor Black Patients
  • NBC Cancels ‘The New Normal’; Obama Cancels Mothers and Fathers

43 Responses to “President Obama Delivers Commencement Address at Morehouse College”

Flawless says:

Betamax82 says:

Love it

puppylove says:

:clap: morning roses

Anna says:

Betamax82 says:

Love it

~~~~~~~
      Ditto. These young men are graduating from Morehouse, not Community College. No need to use race as a crutch.

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

Hey?!!!! :rofl: back to the therapist table…

My seventh grade honor teacher use to make us state that very same thing when we tried to make excuses in her class the exact quote is
      “Excuse are the tools of incompetence which builds monuments of nothing less and those who specialize in using them seldom achieve anything…” Yep.. school was deep for me early… :coffee:

lovezoe says:

:claps:

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

“Excuses” :smack: obviously being in honors classes doesn’t stop my fantasia from actin up..

missmiami says:

I WILL SAY I ENJOYED THE SPEECH. Auntie as die hard of an Obama fan I was I must admit you were right about him. Now, I love me some Michelle but I see right through Barack’s agenda and it’s sad to say he hasn’t done much for me. Officially done with him even though he already got my vote. OFFICIALLY AN INDEPENDENT :coffee:

missmiami says:

horrid grammar but ya feel me. it’s my friday

Pointhim Out-Stewart says:

Something tells me the Morehouse men didn’t need to hear the “race card” part. I’m not saying every guy who graduates from this school is so accomplished, but I’ve yet to come across one who’s a bum doing nothing. And that’s just truth.

A day doesn’t go by while driving home or through my neighborhood that I don’t SMH in pity for this generation and the one coming after them. Now these are the people who need to hear the no excuses or using race etc. I agree completely that no one gives a schit about your story. You want a different life, to different (positive) steps to get it.

Both Morehouse and Spelman grads get a lot of flack for loving there schools and holding their heads up, but I get it. I dont knock any of them. While matriculating at these colleges, the students tell themselves, convince themselves, and believe themselves that they are working towards something great. They speak their success into existence. Who can knock that? Nope, I didn’t attend Morehouse.

Take pride in your life. Be proud of who and what you are, but dont be too proud to be who and what you are.

I am so sorry but I am still dead from last night and this morn (post down below) about Miguel at them Billboard Awards. That was some funny shat. :ghost:

On topic this post…sounds like a great speech. :peace: for our Prez.

@Wut I’m glad you back :hug:

A.J. says:

Good Morning Sandra (I hope you’re well) – This is :offtopic: I need some help trying to figure out something I keep seeing in African American males, perhaps a medical minute.

What’s going on with discolored finger nails? I’m talking about almost black finger nails. What is this?

Good Morning Everybody Else!! :waves:

^^^
      this is truth tho :tea:

goat76 says:

Mawnin!!

In class for 3 days. This is gonna suck. Boy, these some real live nerds up in here. I feel like an OutKast!!

MsEducation says:

I actually enjoyed the speech. I’m an upper level University Administrator and he spoke about what we drill in these students’ head every day. You are one of billions, make sure what you do stands out.

Diva says:

:hump: @Hubby
      :hug: @lil sis

me and my mom had this convo the other day. OBAMA aint finna do shyt this second term. He got the votes NOW he just gone chill like bush #2. Sandra’s wording can be a lil forceful but I get what she saying NOW. :coffee: I still like OBAMA the MAN.. but OBAMA the PRESIDENT is dropping the ball especially in this second term. I got turned off once he started being all up in the carters azz and using this Gay Marriage thing as a reason NOT to fight for the real issues like jobs & the budget. I hope he gets it together but i’on know :shrugs:

MY 2 CENTS

MsEducation says:

missmiami says:

_________________________________________________________________________

:welcome: Welcome to the party!!!! Being a free thinker is great!!!

Diva says:

@Goat think of yo e-wifey riding the duck…that should get you through the class with a smile on yo face :rofl:

goat76 says:

Diva :kiss: :hunching:

:yawn:

Anna says:

These young men are graduating from Morehouse, not Community College.

Aint Nothing wrong with community college :coffee:

a man graduating from a tradeschool with a cert to be an electrician or welder is better then doing nothing at all (some make more money then ppl holding a bachelors and masters I work in the gov I KNOW IT TO BE TRUE). Let’s stop trying to downplay community college and tradeschool.

Miany says:

Is a broken microwave a valid excuse to leave the office for the day??? I know I’m reaching yalll but, I’m hungry and sleepy meanwhile these mofos done broke the microwave over the weekend and have yet to change it!!

missmiami says:

:dance: Always been a free thinker but will say I did fall in love with the idea of having a black President and the bullish he preached about during his FIRST TERM. I am too lazy to type it all but after researching and hearing sides like Dr. West for example I see him for exactly what he is. Still cool as hell but I am over this and the state of this country. I won’t be wasting anymore votes.

missmiami says:

realistically i had to think about what has HE DONE FOR ME AND MY COMMUNITY? NOT A GOT DARN THING!!!

capricorn83 says:

:obama: :clap:

Anna says:

Pickachu Tran says:

Anna says:

These young men are graduating from Morehouse, not Community College.

Aint Nothing wrong with community college

~~~~~~~~~~~
      Not knocking cc. Some colleges just have more history than others.

Diva says:

@Goat :kiss: :kiss:

:lol: At Diva and Goat kissing all up and down the blog. :lol:

Ty says:

Morning All :wave:

Auntie is posting like crazy :cry:

Dubb can I get a recap :pray:

DId yall talk about Chris Brown and how Prince brought out Wendy and Lisa :yahoo:

Diva says:

that_VA_thickchick says:

:lol: At Diva and Goat kissing all up and down the blog.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      We getting it in!!!!! :rofl:

Diva says:

:wave: Ty hey ma!!!!!!

Betamax82 says:

:newpost:

Tt says:

The speech was right on. Sadly these probably aren’t the kids that need to hear & learn it. Same for Michelle’s college speech the other day.

Starr says:

We are always talking about what somebody is doing for us, what are we doing for ourselves? Thats why so many of us are where they are….waiting on somebody to do some ish.

willetta1 says:

missmiami says:

Missmi … What have YOU done for you and your community!!?? Is the answer the same? Obama’s presidency was sanctioned and ordained by GOD for whatever his purposes are/were/may be. His legacy is set and written in history. What will yours be? And to Auntie … Once again – HE WON, HE’S IN THERE, HE’S THE PRESIDENT. KEEP IT MOVING!! :bow:

missmiami says:

Let’s not into religion because as a believer I don’t agree that his presidency was sanctioned by God. But you are entitled to your opinion. BTW, I voted for him twice.

ZimboChick says:

I enjoyed the speech, great college but it’s history is inseperable from race due to the nature of its founding. The pride Black folk who go to these colleges feel in their alma mater just underscores the racial past.
      Great speech that transcended the venue itself, he spoke to a broader audience than those present.

Bottom line, who cares what college you went to in the face of intense globalization of the workforce? Few beyond USA know the significance of the pride they have in these type of institutions-real talk!

Pointhim Out-Stewart says:

black nails=weed heads, heavy smokers???? I’m amazed by the number of guys who look at me like I’m crazy when I say I dont smoke. They really look at me like ‘what’s wrong with you?’ Oh nothing, just a leader, not a follower.

dani818 says:

Love his speech! So true!

cougar lover says: