Oprah May Have Lied About That $35K Handbag Incident

Oprah and Gayle King in Zurich

A Swiss boutique clerk is outraged that media mogul Oprah Winfrey embellished their encounter after she lodged racism allegations against the high end Switzerland boutique.

The Trois Pommes sales assistant said she felt “powerless” and “in a cyclone” after Oprah went on American TV to say she was a victim of racism. Oprah said the saleswoman refused to show her a $35,000 handbag because it was too expensive for her.

But the saleswoman emphatically denied the incident went down the way Oprah said it did. Trudy Goetz, the shop owner, called the accusations “absurd.”

“I wasn’t sure what I should present to her when she came in on the afternoon of Saturday, July 20, so I showed her some bags from the Jennifer Aniston collection,” the saleswoman said.

“I explained to her the bags came in different sizes and materials, like I always do,” the unidentified sales clerk said over the weekend.

“She looked at a frame behind me. Far above there was the 35,000 Swiss franc crocodile leather bag. I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags.”

“She looked around the store again but didn’t say anything else. Then she went with her companion to the lower floor. My colleague saw them to the door. They were not even in the store for five minutes.”

The saleswoman denied ever saying, “You don’t want to see this bag. It is too expensive. You cannot afford it.”

Oprah is being accused of embellishing the story to promote her latest film ‘Lee Daniels ‘The Butler’. Oprah now says she’s sorry she ever mentioned the incident.

“I’m really sorry that it got blown up,” Oprah said.

“I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I’m sorry that I said it was Switzerland.

“I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don’t expect that you would be able to be there,” she said.

Oprah and her longtime life partner Gayle King were in Switzerland to attend R&B legend Tina Turner’s wedding.

• Oprah gets apology after Swiss clerk refuses to show her a handbag because it was too ‘expensive’ for her
  • Usher opens up to Oprah about child custody battle and infidelity
  • Oprah Writes a Revealing Letter to Her Younger Self
  • Tyler Perry Offers $100K Reward for Information On Missing Men

74 Responses to “Oprah May Have Lied About That $35K Handbag Incident”

SOTHERNGRL says:

That sales lady is like I ain’t said chit like that.

Black_jewel2 says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That right there! That’s what got you lady!! I didn’t ask you to show me similar bags, I asked to see THAT one…smh

BoogieNites says:

:facepalm: Op

Black_jewel2 says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Exactly!

Diva says:

*looks over brow* Is that Boogie? :wave: hey gal where fo you been?

Caramel Rain says:

***********

:cloud:

GAGIRL87 says:

______________________________________________________________________

This is very much plausible

But why didn’t she show her the bag that asked to see? Why would you show me a similar one from what I asked. You did exactly what Oprah said lady and now you are trying to do damage control because you have lost sales. Next time think before you speak. Whether she was in there for 5 minutes or not…it happened. You showed her what YOU wanted to show her based on what you thought that she was able to afford. Too late now honey!

GAGIRL87 says:

Oprah and her longtime life partner Gayle King
      ____________________________________________________________________

#weak
      #onlySandra
      #truff
      #bumpingpusscees
      # :dead:
      :ghost: :rofl:

:offtopic:

Star Wars” creator George Lucas has become a new dad at the age of 69 after welcoming a daughter via surrogate, according to the Huffington Post.

The filmmaker and his new wife, Mellody Hobson, became parents to little Everest Hobson Lucas on Friday, the Post reported.

The baby is the couple’s first biological child. Lucas is also father to three adopted children: Amanda, 32, Katie, 25, and Jett, 20.

Lucas and Hobson wed in June.

Congrats to the happy couple!!!

This weekend I heard the audio from the Switzerland board of tourism apologizing, and then I heard the radio of Oprah’s whole run down of it, She did ole girl’s accent and all :yes: & :lol:

So after hearing Oprah’s version of it, IF she was lying, then she has the beginning on dementia or something because she was all in to the story.

BUT, if I was ole girl, I say I didn’t do it either :tea:

Miany says:

Oprah…ion like how she refused to speak out against paula deen about n*igger issue…. she quick to mention to rappers that they shouldn’t say it though…
      I could totally believe she exploited this lil non mishap for promo purposes.

BoogieNites says:

:kiss: diva :kiss:
      i been working, hmph :haha:
      and i been missin u, ladyD!! :happy:

Oprah MANUFACTURED A CRISIS yall :hahaha:

Smonae says:

But why not show Oprah the bag she asked about :shrugs: Seems like she still omplied the bag was too expensive for her

Diva says:

:wave: hey Gypsy long time no see on here or twitta gal how you been?

So anything about Niggas In Switzerland (ala Niggas in Paris) gets the “Tina Turner” tag Sandra??????????

:dead:

BoogieNites says:

BUT, if I was ole girl, I say I didn’t do it either :tea:
      =================================================

yupppp :tea:

FuturedocDonte says:

—-
      Still shoulda reached your butt up there and got that bag tho :coffee:

KyCakes says:

So…how did O lie? You really think that little sprite bish is gonna be like “Yeah I said, I stole my Momma’s credit”??

Of COURSE the sales clerk is gonna lie to save face….

BoogieNites says:

:kiss: diva :kiss:
      i been working, hmph :haha:
      and i been missin u, ladyD!!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Well I’m glad you could stop by and be with us…we missed ya :kiss: :happy:

GAGIRL87 says:

Smonae have we talking about True Blood?

Miany moaning :kiss: I’ve never watched The Wire before, is it really good as everyone claims it is?

FuturedocDonte says:

And if oprah gon spend all that money on a bag I hope she carryin some slim fast in it… The oprah in that pic Look like she ate the oprah on news stands this week with the big hair :coffee:

FuturedocDonte says:

—-
      Still shoulda reached your butt up there and got that bag tho :coffee:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dats all dat heffa had to do!!!!! Trying to get snippy cause her azz couldn’t afford the bag prolly!

GAGIRL87 says:

This story is a case of word vs word

^^^^^^^^^^^
      OK, now when I heard Oprah’s story on this—she said she was alone, and that Gayle and Stedman were not with her…

GAGIRL87 says:

This story is a case of word vs word
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      And besides do we really care? NOPE

They done pulled Jennifer Aniston (who can’t strip dance to save her life) into this mess :rofl: :rofl:

Oprah probably looked like :blink: Fugg I look like carrying that hoebag :lol:

A.J. says:

Smonae have we talking about True Blood?
      Nope. At the funeral when Terry’s mother asked was LaFayette a girl or a boy and too many nigras here at this funeral. :dead:

BoogieNites says:

Well I’m glad you could stop by and be with us…we missed ya
      =======================================================

D, i’ll stay as long as my access allows :bite: neva know ’round these parts.. and thas y i :love: u; always did make me feel good insiide!! thx :grill:

Carrington says:

When Oprah asked to see the bag, the sales person said, “I can show you one just like it”

Excuse you? No, trick. If I ask to test drive a Mercedes, don’t pull up with a key to a Geo Metro because “it’s pretty much the same”… Give me what I asked you for!!

I’ve had to go off on this black shoe salesman in Neiman Marcus because he ignores me EVERY time I go in there and fawns all over the white folk before, after, and surrounding me.

I was buying a tie once & my kid was looking at shoes & when I came over I asked what was taking him so long, I could see the distress in his face when he said that the SAME dude I couldn’t stand was ignoring him & he was waiting to try on a shoe.

I stood around for 3 minutes to give him a chance before I went in. He walked past us & said, “Excuse me…” and proceeded to ask the white couple next to us if they needed help. When they said no, he told then to let him know if there was anything he could do, then said excuse me to us AGAIN & walked over to an NDN guy.

I cussed that mf out $ reminded him that while he SELLS shoes in Neiman Marcus, I BUY shoes in Neiman Marcus and not to EVER forget his position in life!

The white guy who refused help gave me a hi five…

BrownskinQT says:

Good morning yall!!! :hi:

Mr.BluPhi says:

Had she known it was Oprah, she woulda have been showing her the more expensive bags from the jump…

I dont think Oprah lied. I think O interpreted the situation the same way most of us would. Even if it’s something I can’t afford, if i wanna see it, let me see it. And then allow me to ask do you have a cheaper version.

Miany says:

^^^ :lol: cant stand yo azzz… lol
      @gagirl :hug: the wire…I like it. It’s a cop show but not your average cop show. I recommend it.

flsun99 says:

Ophra (as my Granny us to call her) didn’t lie. She asked the heifer clerk to show her the bag above her head and she didn’t. The heifer clerk showed Ophra what she wanted. The heifer clerk is doing damage control. She told on her own damn self.

GAGIRL87 says:

And besides do we really care? NOPE
      ________________________________________________________________

Diva

I know I don’t :no:

Just doing too much yo…
      A simple talk with Mgmt in front of him would’ve been golden IMB :D

BoogieNites says:

Well I’m glad you could stop by and be with us…we missed ya
      =======================================================

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      You know I got you bew!!!! :love:

MissHarlem says:

Bitch your job is to show me bags not question what bag YOU would like to show me. Check em bitch.

In other news Oprah did say that she doesnt understand how Paula can use that word. Something along the lines of everyone knows how I feel about that word so you “can not be my friend and use that word”. Simple and effective no need for a press conference. When I cut a chick off she is cut no newsflash etc.

Oprah and her longtime life partner Gayle King

:ghost:

Miany says:

GAGIRL87 says:
      This story is a case of word vs word
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      And besides do we really care? NOPE
      ^^ I shole don’t give a fugg.

GAGIRL87 says:

And besides do we really care? NOPE
      ________________________________________________________________

Diva

I know I don’t :no:

WE care about the credit card downstairs AND this purse fiasco :yes:

:sarcasm:

BoogieNites says:

GAGIRL87 says:

This story is a case of word vs word
      ========================================

:cosign: indeed.

besides, perception is everything. op was offended (allegedly), but another individual cld have been grateful for the offer of a cheaper option. :shrug:

Diva says:

Old fool. His daughter will probably never remember him if he kicks the bucket before she turns 4. :no:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Carrington shole you right! :kiss:

BoogieNites says:

When I cut a chick off she is cut no newsflash etc.
      ===================================================

BOSS !! :whistle:

GAGIRL87 says:

_____________________________________________________________________

AJ

I love Lafayette :love:

I know right :lol: I’m bout tired of Sookie. Was Tara even on this episode I was half sleep…

How long can the vamps walk in the sunlight before they burn after drinking Warlow’s blood?

Why did Eric leave Pam yet again to be honest this season was just as wack as last season..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      :rofl: Auntie you shole right!

Miany says:

^^ yea I hear it and I like it coming from regular folk like you and I but ummm from O I have a feeling I’ll see Paula Deen skinning her teeth round Oprah on the OWN network within the next few years… and Oprah will hold a press conference to announce how ‘everyone deserves a second chance’ etc. etc.

A.J. says:

Good for you! I grab the first person I see in the men’s department to get me some shoes. They aint doing nothing else but standing around and all it takes is a look!

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

GAGIRL87 says:

And besides do we really care? NOPE
      ________________________________________________________________

Diva

I know I don’t :no:

WE care about the credit card downstairs AND this purse fiasco :yes:

:sarcasm:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dats what I'm talking bout! WDGAF

Carrington says:

A simple talk with management wouldn’t have done a damned thing for a wannabe who makes it a habit of ignoring his black customers.

At THAT moment, and as if this moment, I felt better reminding his raggedy a$$ that he has the unmitigated gall to discriminate against black folk, when his black a$$ sells shoes.

And I got friends who will tell you right now that he still does it.

WUT SED "GET FIRE ON DEM BISHES!" says:

Goodmorning YAALLL :hug:

—————————-

Carrington says:

The white guy who refused help gave me a hi five…
      —————————
      I had a similar situation happen in a furniture store. When the lady finally did help me with the bedroom set I was seeking she said. “This complete set is $5200, but we dooo have layaway… :grin: !”

goat76 says:

So she is acusing Harpo of lying??

Smonae says:

GA
      Eric went ham on Sunday, and I wished Jason would’ve killed that Sarah b*tch. It was soo bloody :yes:
      I wish Bill would let that one man bleed to death and suffer rather than stump his face in

All the long time no see SR folks :hug:

MissHarlem says:

BOOGIE :waves:

MIANY I hear you but for now we aint gonna even speak that bs into existence. Did you decide on the date to come to NY?

MissHarlem says:

:hug: GOOD MORNING LOVES :waves:

FuturedocDonte says:

O didn’t lie. The woman confirmed what she said and offered no explanation whatsoever as to why she refused to show O the bag she asked to see. Don’t they want to sell the expensive bag? Why would she offer O something cheaper?

Yardgirl says:

Why would Oprah lie?? I saw the interview where she was telling the story and it was totally believeable. She was by herself and the sprite did not recognize her. There is a lot of prejudice in Switzerland directed towards the refugees living there (and I am guessing most are people of color) I saw an interview of the shop owner “explaining” what happened and she said point blank that the sales clerk did not do anything wrong and she was not going to fire her (this must have been taped right after it happened!) I am glad she is being hit where it hurts $$$$ :haha:

Lady_L says:

Black_jewel2 says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

August 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

aaron says:

Oprah may have embellished the truth, but I still believe you was discriminated against. This statement right her says it all: “I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags.” She did not need to add the additional details, if she did. This is enough for me.

aaron says:

Oprah may have embellished the truth, but I still believe she was discriminated against. This statement right her says it all: “I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags.” This is enough for me to conclude there was racial profiling.

dabunique says:

lol i think maybe da sales girl thought y spend $35,000 when u have da same one in my hand cheaper

valid most sales people work for commission but there are sum good sales people who help out a customer lol

I think Maybe Oprah is doin da most .. who gonna question her
      damn if she said my mom slapped her, i’d believe it lol

How is she distraught and OPRAH never mentioned the name of the boutique? #Publicity

One of my Twitter followers made an excellent point that Oprah only “looked” at the expensive bag, she didn’t ask to see it. When the shopkeeper asked her if she wanted to see similar bags, Oprah walked away.

SunnyPA says:

During the holiday season, I work as a sales clerk for extra money. That comment can be taken a 100 different ways with only one being racist.

Besides, didn’t something like this happen to Oprah 10 years ago in London when she didn’t have make-up or an entourage with her?!?!? I think it was Harrod’s. Oprah immediately had an assistant call the owner and had the sales clerk fired. So if Oprah thought for a moment the incident was racist….she would have done something.

It may be that Oprah feels if she said “jump”, the sales clerk should have been doing hurdles at a record pace. When she didn’t, Oprah walked away.

mrsloveleigh says:

even if Oprah added to her story IT HAPPENED. and it happens all the time. I went into a store to buy a mattress set and because i was paying in full i was accused of having received my income tax check….smh

mrsloveleigh says:

one thing that has happened to me alot is when i’m about to check out at the grocery store it is assumed i’m using food stamps. I was looking for some frozen juice one day and the stocker offered to help me because he hadn’t stocked the WIC items yet..WTF And this was in two different neighborhoods and not jsut the whites who made the assumption

precious1 says:

@ Carrington I had two incidents like that. I was in Macy and the line was long so they opened up another line. As I was going to the line to be first, I dropped two of my items. I was standing at the counter placing my other items down. I literally had my hand out, to get the items my friend picked up for me. I was literally touching the items when the black female associate, started to take this white woman’s items and begun to ring them up. I gladly took the item out her hand and placed it on the counter BEHIND MY SHISH!!!! She looked at me with the “No she didn’t look!” Yes…the hell I did!

Another time my daughter was waiting in line to pay for some clothing. She was 12 at the time and the white associate was about to let this white girl go in front of her. I begin to tell him how my daughter was first, and I don’t know how he could overlook her. He continued to arrange the clothing so he could ring the tags. I went off and the management came over wanting to know what the problem was. I told her, what happened and he begin to argue my daughter was not first. Even though other people in line agree she was. I told him, “If you ring this lady’s things before my daughter, I PROMISE YOU THERE WILL BE A PROBLEM!!

Yardgirl says:

precious1 says:

*****************************************

YOU are my sister in likeness!!! :hug: Girl, if I even THINK this is going to happen, my face sets in a “DO IT IF YOU THINK YOU BAD” that scares most people straight!! You will NOT disrespect me when I am paying with my hard earned money!! I see red and get all crazy on them, not a pretty sight :lol: