Beyonce Criticized for Using Audio from Challenger Disaster

Beyonce Criticized for Using Audio from Challenger Disaster

Pageant singer Beyonce is under fire for using the voice of now-retired NASA public affairs officer Steve Nesbitt, who described the 1986 Challenger Shuttle disaster as it broke apart in the skies over Florida. Challenger exploded 73 seconds after lift off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Jan. 28, 1986. The explosion killed all seven crew members on board, including Christa McAuliffe, a civilian school teacher who was along for the ride.

Beyonce and her song writers carelessly included the audio clip as the intro to her song “XO” off her controversial self-titled album.

Family and friends of the Challenger crew, including former and current astronauts, are outraged that Beyonce used the audio as an obvious publicity stunt on her album.

When will she learn?

From Page Six:

The song “XO,” about a troubled relationship, features the voice of now-retired NASA public affairs officer Steve Nesbitt, commentating as the shuttle was seen breaking apart on live television.

“Flight controllers here looking very carefully at the situation. Obviously a major malfunction,” Nesbitt is heard saying. The brief audio clip runs for six seconds.

“XO” was written and produced by Ryan Tedder and Terius Nash, who goes by the stage name The Dream.

Beyonce issued a statement: “My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster. The song ‘XO’ was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you.

“The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten.”

LISTEN

“XO” by Beyonce

144 Responses to “Beyonce Criticized for Using Audio from Challenger Disaster”

I like the song though :coffee: chile !

Next week : Beyonce donates 5.3 million dollars to NASA

rwilliams4782 says:

I think Ronald Mcnair was killed in that too.. I was little then but I remember it

One of my favorite photos. Thanks Sandra. :wink:

He was from my hometown

free says:

next week: photo of her with a space suit leotard on

Why dont you love me? :tea:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Did she give herself songwriting credik for the audio clip?

Soul not for sale
    Probably won’t make no money off this.. oh well
    Reap what you sow
    Perfection is so… Mmm. :tea:

essenze says:

I :heart: that pic. Even with all that going on she still looks gawjus. Most people ain’t cute crying, me included, im sorry

:no:

Blanche Devereaux says:

:facepalm:

My thing about Beyonce is, its almost like NOBODY thinks this mess through. You didnt think they were gonna say anything? Especially in this day and age. Be serious.

Gigi26 says:

Chille blame the Hamburgular, I’m sure he thought of the amazing idea..

I do love XO though, I was :yahoo: at the Concert when she performed it. I am now a fan :lol:

I shouldn’t ate these wings :tea:

Just Looking says:

Pageant Singer

:dead: :casket: :ghost:

IN THAT ORDER <<<<< Prince of South Mufva voice.

datsmdubya2u says:

some people have no sense of history or respect.. they feel like “oh that was a long time ago” not realizing there are loved ones still here who would be hurt by that.. no empathy

rwilliams4782 says:

Still went platinum in 7 days… maybe she taught the gays that listen to her music a lesson in science

Blanche Devereaux says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Did she give herself songwriting credik for the audio clip?

…….

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When you leaving for Norfolk @Just Looking? I’m sorry you gotta go under such sad circumstances

Gigi26 says:

Honestly she is taking the wrap for the mistake the darn producers made i’m sure of this..i’m sorry but I really doubt Bey knew about the Challenger, lol…

I can’t believe i’m defending her. I’m gonna go :kona:

Soul not for sale

Somebody already bought that :tea:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

I wonder why she did that?

Just Looking says:

It’s on Saturday…But “Tryrone” bfrthday iz on Thursday….So maybe that afternoon. Make a week-end out of it…Come back early Sunday morning and be ready for WORK…

I’m sure he thought of the amazing idea..
    ________

When she said he came up with the, “Yonce all on his mouth like likka..” I was like yep! Love The Dream… Then. :huh:

:facepalm: Reading here has turned me into an eternal side-eyer. Let me find out Terrius know Bey up close and personal. :huh:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I that pic. Even with all that going on she still looks gawjus. Most people ain’t cute crying, me included, im sorry
    ———————-
    *puts up church finger*
    But she wasn’t really crying tho… This a photo :photo:
    She cute tho. :lol:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:
    I wonder why she did that?
    whoever put the track together did that..she prolly aint even know what the clip was referring to..

They should be blame the producers then…

i’m sorry but I really doubt Bey knew about the Challenger, lol…
    ______

Well thats fukked up, but ok. :lol:

I remember that day so vividly SMH

KyCakes says:

——————————————————————–
    And school teacher Christa McAuliffe. First teacher to go to space.
    Named schools after her all over the country…

This happened the day before my birthday….I was in the third grade and remember watching it explode and thinking “that doesn’t look right”

Bad Bey…doesn’t matter how long ago it was; that was still someone’s Husband, Wife, Daughter, Son, Mother, Father….

Why dont you love me?
    ___________________________

when i make me so dam easy to loooooove :buttshake: baybay!

she was channeling marilyn monroe & tina turner in that one. my all time fave beyonce video.

Tryrone
    ______

:hahaha: :rofl:

:cool: <–blinding me.

essenze says:

Yeah I doubt she knew that. Now those who put it together what the hell was they thinking? :blink:

datsmdubya2u says:

:rofl: yeah right.. most of her fans been listening to the song for days and days and aint know where that clip was from.. then somebody probably older came across the songs..and was like :shocked: her fans aint curr about the Challenger disaster not even a little bit

The adding of the clip is Wish Bear from the Care Bear’s fault SANDRA. Teddy Ruxpin did it. NOT Bey.

I remember that day so vividly SMH
    _______

I was five but I remember being in school on “anniversaries” and making shuttles and such.

jeniefrumdabloc says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:
    I wonder why she did that?

They should be blame the producers then…

It's Bey's album..she's the face.. so the buck stops there

yeah right.. most of her fans been listening to the song for days and days and aint know where that clip was from.. then somebody probably older came across the songs..and was like her fans aint curr about the Challenger disaster not even a little bit

______

Oh. I’m a fan. :hi:

rwilliams4782 says:

The dreams fat azz on instagram crackin bottles of louis xiii while bey apologizing for his teddy ruxpin lookin azz lol

Just Looking says:

Producer/Agents/Record label –
    Memo/Email/Phone call to her assistant to B = lets meet to listen to latest tracks.

B – K

Conference Room/Room full of folks and B – Ohhh where did you get that clip

All of B’s yes people. We put it together/made it up.

B – Ohh Okay I like it. (HER BIG GORG GRIN)

US/YOU/The PUblic – GTFOH

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

@OTB: Teddy Ruxpin :whistle: radio KILLAH probably saved a bolla Beyonce drank off and taped it to his ding a long and said they had sess :hahaha: obsessed face :confused: <– Him and Kanye

Gigi26 says:

…baby love me lights out…

This is my shyt. Sorrry bout the clip though, Terrius Hamburgular been feeling himself since single ladies…he must be put on the front lines :yes:

________
    Its one of the tops for me! :yahoo: Everytime i see it you cant help but move. It has Solange all over it. Loved this moment in herstory, cause it was against her formula… just making a vid cause you want to? :huh: Maty was somewhere not liking it..

DoNotDeleteMe says:

For once she admitted to not writing a song! :rofl:

______

Oh. I’m a fan. :hi:

:hi: there’s always the exception that proves the rule…

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

They should be blame the producers then…
    ————–
    :yes: :no:
    BLAME SOCIETY

I remember that day so vividly SMH
    _______

Remember it too :yes: I was a lil girl then … but I remember

So really is it her speech that makes yall truly think that an AMERICAN is so dumb that they didnt know about the Challenger?

Thats akin to saying our kids wouldnt/dont know about 9-11 right? I kinda think yall getting me going then I kinda dont. :huh:

I was in fourth grade @Ky. I will never forget Challenger. EVER. Every school kid in America was watching that day. It was also in the winter time and we got snow that day so thankfully right after it happened school got dismissed early due to snow. Some events in your lifetime you will NEVER forget. The day. The time. The events. Challenger was that for me. :sad:

Terrius Hamburgular been feeling himself since single ladies…
    _________

:rofl: :rofl: I just saw so much chit in my head from this one line..

Dymond says:

:love: b & the album but b & teddy rux? :eek: :nono: and believe me she knows exactly what the challenger incident was :rolleyes:

Just watched the disaster on YouTube. .smh damn

Just Looking says:

January 28…My Grandmothers Birthday…
    Year 86..

Well into HIGH SCHOOL, Just Dated myself. :kona:

obsessed face
    ________
    :rofl ::rofl: Wait is that the :|

:rofl: :rofl: NO!!! Mine not wrinkly what face is that MisT? :rofl:

Just Looking says:

IKR – All the schools had it displayed “proudly” either in the gym/classroom/office and #BOOM…. LAWD JESUS

Blanche Devereaux says:

oh we’re supposed to be taking this seriously? :huh:

oh, well in that case…..OUTRAGE!!!! :cuss: :rules: off with her head and stuff!!!

—————–
    I think it’s just easy jokes. Like talking about Joseline roast beef curtains and Alicia Key’s short ‘tard arms. It gets the people going. Is Beyonce book smart? :shrugs: I doubt it :rofl: But I do think she is industry/world (not street) smart because she knows what sells and pleases her fan ban. For that I :applause: her.

Mr.BluPhi says:

Wait… so the song is about a troubled relationship?? I didn’t get that from the song.

And everything this woman does gets blown up. The current astronauts have nothing better to do than be outraged by 3 seconds of a Beyonce song?? Really??

I think her statement was well written. I don’t think it was insensitive.

there’s always the exception that proves the rule…
    _________

I think we all tend to believe what we want to when it comes to this one.

JMO says:

<— BORN in '84

:eek:

KyCakes says:

——————————————————————–
    Yup :yes:

Nah most folks just think she’s dumb :shrugs: but someone has been working with her lately with her interview skills :thumbsup: she is a lot better now

DoNotDeleteMe says:

I remember the school was assembled in the gymnasium to watch the first teacher blast off into space. I was sitting beside my teacher. All of a sudden my teacher covered my eyes then told all of us to cover our eyes and look down. The whole gynasium erupted in tears and although we were a bit confused, we knew something bad had just happened. When we got back to class, we spent the rest of the day with our heads on our desks and the lights turned off. Finally, the principal came on the intercom and explained to us what happened and the tears started again. It was such a tragic day and the use of this clip was very inappropriate! :cry: :pray:

libra80sbaby says:

Somebody already bought that :tea:
    ————————-
    :yes: :evil:

KyCakes says:

I’m out y’all….
    Have a great 2014!!

:love: :love:

Like talking about Joseline roast beef curtains
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    *kicks rock across the blog*

I miss @Ty. *sigh*

And @Gyp. But Arby’s makes me think of Ty-Ty

essenze says:

When the Challenger Explosion happened I was 4 years old and even I remembered it.

but b & teddy rux?
    ________
    I know Dymond. :hahaha: I was just fukking around..tryna relay how things can warp thinking, but I know that only happens to me. :lol:

—————–

:yes:

Dymond in here with that dirty scabbed tidday bish in her gravie :lol:

What I miss y’all? I been shooting the sheet w/ my sup while i was supposed to be restarting my :pc:

:lol: two damn hrs

OTB it’s confused. I use it for mannie things :lol:
    But right about now it does look like The Dream and Kanye staring at Beyonce :confused: wishing they was Jay Z :rotfl:

GellySammich says:

=/ womp

Just Looking says:

JMO says:

<— BORN in '84
    :eek:
    Go to TIME OUT. :hug:

rwilliams4782 says:

No difference than some ppl putting real life acts of violence in their videos. History channel shows jfk gettin shot n the head..hell I can go on youtube and watch the challenger plummet into the ocean… are they upset with youtube?

:rolleyes: sounds good

i would have said, “who gone check me boo? :shrugs: “.

———————-
    ask a few of your coworkers about the challenger disaster..see what happens.. ask a few 35 and under..

essenze says:

Yeah I remember and I was young too

I think it’s just easy jokes. Like talking about Joseline roast beef curtains and Alicia Key’s short ‘tard arms. It gets the people going. Is Beyonce book smart? I doubt it But I do think she is industry/world (not street) smart because she knows what sells and pleases her fan ban. For that I her.

Et tu Brute? :lol: I get the easy jokes, but a lot of it reads as fact anyway its funny, just wondering what yall think of me cause I choose to type the way I do and identify with what yall like to lambast as hood. Just wondering.

So you gotta be book smart to know about major American tragedies.. interesting.

Why do we care so much about Beyonce’s smarts? :thinking:

Ky Ky have a Happy New Year Bew :hug:

datsmdubya2u says:

So all of ya’ll knew when you heard the clip exactly where it was from?

Nobody said “this is from the Challenger disaster/..hmmmm don’t know about that Bey”

Or were you just reminded by this post?

I hadn’t heard the clip but then again i haven’t listed to her whole album i just previewed a few songs on itunes..

JMO says:

<— BORN in '84
    —————–
    ashiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid… i was chillin in my deddy's sack… :kona:

IsThisThingOn... says:

__________________________

Well, in all fairness, Porsha didn’t know about the underground railroad… :kona:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

The only thing I have to say about it is I wonder if the clip of the audio is copy writed :thinking: like old music clips. If not then :shrugs: Teddy Rux and them could use it any way they want to.
    I bet Porsha didn’t know about the Challeneger. I bet her and Beyonce would have the beas convos.
    Let me stop for OTB :karate: me

We were in the auditorium. Kind of same scenario for us what @DoNotDelete said. We had taken all of our coats and bookbags cause we already knew it was early dismissal. Afterwards we all walked single file to our buses that were waiting due to early snow day. The bus ride home was so SILENT. I remember that too. And BFF who is STILL my BFF (one I talk about all the time) I remember me and her were holding hands the whole ride. I got off at her house cause if we got dismissed early that was always the plan–her dad used to be at home during day. He met us at the corner and we went to her house and took a nap. :sad: SAD daggone day.

I work with Doogie Hoowser. And all his younger siblings. :| What they dont know is things outside of (mainstream) American culture.

They know Challenger but they dont know say medgar evers.

Dymond says:

I was on another site earlier reading the whole “is b a feminist or not” debate
    :facepalm:
    The sh*t ppl think & express…..

JMO says:

I used to be one the youngest… Dirty 30 is creeping up on me.

:warning: paging AARP

Why do we care so much about Beyonce’s smarts?
    ___________________________

same reason “we” care about her breath and say that she sold her soul to the devil. SOMETHING gotta be wrong with everybody else to make “us” feel good about “ourselves”. surely we aint gonna just give her props and compliment her success. nah, shun :nono:

as long as its something wrong with her then there’s nothing wrong with me, right? :thinking:

Gigi26 says:

Ahh shoot me if you will but I don’t remember the Challenger because I was not born :lol: but I read about it on more than one occasion and because i’m a history geek I know of it.

But again, Bey is taking the wrap cuz its her album but I betchu the Hamburgular is getting his ass chewed out by the Jiggaman at this very moment :yes:

i would have said, “who gone check me boo? “.

:lol: This is why me and you here and not there. :lol:

GAGIRL87 says:

Tamia is sooooooooooo freaking talented :nun:

:whistle: :headphone:

Love was the former owner
    But quiet is renting our house
    It ceases my lips from speaking
    But forms a sarcastic smile
    Suspense now raised one of your eyebrows
    You asked me if there’s someone else
    I replied yes hell yes

You asked if it’s another man I said NO
    You laughed and say is it a woman I say YES
    Surprisingly you ask me for honey’s name

And her name is me
    And she loves me more than you’ll ever know
    And I finally see that
    Loving you and loving me just don’t seem to work at all
    So patiently
    She’s waiting on me to tell you that she needs love
    And to choose between you two
    Boy you know if I have to choose I choose me

:yahoo:

Mr.BluPhi says:

Well we aint talked about the Challenger incident since some of yall were in daycare…. So lets give Bey a shout out for that….LOL

Her brand is something else…. everything she does gets headlined….

Thing get outta me head :angry:

Why do we care so much about Beyonce’s smarts?
    —————
    Uh. I don’t. Deez just joke (Earthquake volume) :lol:
    I post all types of unintelligent and off the wall things on here so Lord knows what people think about me :blink: I bet they won’t say it to my face tho. Say it DTTS and get your wig split :box:

Well, in all fairness, Porsha didn’t know about the underground railroad…

:wail:

I have yet to listen to any of the Bey songs from her new smash album. I don’t know what clips are used. How any of the songs go. Nathan. Etc. Unless I happen to hear it come on Shade45 or Backspin on XM in my car I will never hear them. Selah.

datsmdubya2u says:

They know Challenger but they dont know say medgar evers.

Yeah white folk aint talkin to their kids about Medgar Evers in their homes.. and black folk ain’t talking about the challenger disaster..folks of a certain age know because they were showing it in school that day

rwilliams4782 says:

You know what :tea: you got a point …… cause that is and was some sad shyt to watch …. and its on youtube

IsThisThingOn... says:

“And everything this woman does gets blown up.”

____________________________

:churchfinger: :kona:

________

The very first review I read of her album, which was written the day it was released mentioned it, so that was before I heard it..I knew to listen for it.

The guy said she was very no holds barred..I thought he meant the sex..Now, I think he means “everything..”

:hug:

Well, in all fairness, Porsha didn’t know about the underground railroad…
    _________

:hahaha: To muhfukking che.

libra80sbaby says:

To be honest, I do not think the clip was used with malicious intent, nor do I think this was Bey’s fault. This is what you have a PRODUCER for. They are the ones who are supposed to fact check and clear copyrights and such BEFORE they use clips or samples. Bey was ridin that wave of album dropping, record breaking success… Yall know “They” had to do this. :thinking: Target bitter asses prolly did this chit.

rwilliams4782 says:

I just watched jfk get shot… look at how jackie O just smooth left his azz but I feel where she coming from

Let me stop for OTB me
    ______

Au contraire. :nono: I just wanna know where I need to stop directing my hood speech. :lol:

This is why me and you here and not there.
    ____________________________

ashiiiid (as Jenie says), i wouldnt have said that at my real job in real life! :nono: i woulda said it on SR tho :yes:

:karate: <—me at work thinking about getting flip with the lip and popping myself in the face to keep me quiet.

Mr.BluPhi says:

Her brand is something else…. everything she does gets headlined….

Her fanbase is huge :tea: when its like that … that happens

I was on another site earlier reading the whole “is b a feminist or not” debate

The sh*t ppl think & express…..

:facepalm:

:giggles: Thanks you know I’m no good with articulation..

——————-
    I think that if you didn’t know about it before go listen to the song now. it’s beautiful. Gives the song an even deeper meaning. I liked it before, knew about the Challenger, thought the video was nice. Now the debate on it and her reply makes me like it more :shrugs:

datsmdubya2u says:

Well did the Retired NASA guy get paid for them using his voice? Is this clip in the public domain since its form NASA? Who gets paid?

I post all types of unintelligent and off the wall things on here
    ______

Being intentionally obtuse…thats not cute. :mad: :lol:

rwilliams4782 says:

My father had a nice book about the assassination of Kennedy… It had some really nice photos, and very graphic photos as well (autopsy) …. I remember that bytch Ms. Stovall took my book :mad: in history class…. ole bytch she never gave me my book back …. I believed she wanted the book for her self :tea: ole cow

Or youre Black and you have to have a dual existence just to survive in America while everyone else coasts on privilege..

GellySammich says:

:hahaha: she sneak tryna claim my Aspergers

datsmdubya2u says:

:offtopic: So Dewayne proposed cause the news of an outside baby has come out?

_______________________________

did you ever see the one where the mayor shoots himself right at the end of his resignation speech? :shocked: took his own self out during a press conference. gangsta.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Au contraire. I just wanna know where I need to stop directing my hood speech.
    by OutsidetheBox on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    ——————–
    Direct it here. Keep it coming to me. I live for it. Do it. You think I say byke at work? Or in life :no: I leave that to my husband and his family. But I say other stuff :oops: Like SPED

R. Budd Dwyer. governor, not mayor of Pennsylvania.

IsThisThingOn... says:

Thing get outta me head :angry:

___________________________________

And yew get offa my byke! :chase:

Good Point! You’re right

datsmdubya2u says:

:offtopic: So Dewayne proposed cause the news of an outside baby has come out?

:popcorn: Now shut yo moufffff and keep on fonting chile :shock:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OMG. I have seen that one. Sweet Jesus. :pray:

ashiiiid (as Jenie says), i wouldnt have said that at my real job in real life! i woulda said it on SR tho

:lol: I cant tell (as much as you can..from font) that youre a thinker. #noChrissypopoff

I was just saying about that Beyonce..she issues a statement on it.. she is effectively her own boss at this point, but the dance she has to do to appease the masses and appease self? :phew:

Thats what I meant. My dance would go from a graceful waltz (Bey..) to a Crunmp (Hoodsquirrel) too fast.. :no:

Razzle:

or trying to be. see how we dont hardly get no Rihanna posts no more since her bestie became a fob :tea:

its pimpin, pimpin

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Being intentionally obtuse…thats not cute.
    ————-
    What is I’m posed to do :crying1: it’s a part of me

@Dats: Wade has had that secret baby for about a year now :lol: That baby is about 40 years old. I don’t think Gabby would agree to the proposal to save face or raise or a secret baby as her own

Ima go watch it

So Dewayne proposed cause the news of an outside baby has come out?
    _________

Say word! :facepalm: :popcorn:

she sneak tryna claim my Aspergers
    ________

:rofl: :rofl: Omgawd i just yelped! :rofl: :heart:

i think OTB called me stupid :huh: :rofl: :wail:

R. Budd Dwyer. governor, not mayor of Pennsylvania.
    _______

:eek: :hide:

Taken get out of here with that gravie though :rofl:

i think OTB called me stupid

:rofl: :rofl: :wail: I started to correct the typo, but I was thinking you BIGGER than a slip on the finger. :rofl:

*can. I CAN tell. :rofl:

I just watched it..budd Dwyer

disclaimer: im not recommending that yall watch that video. you can see the moment right beforehand on wiki tho. anything more than that is a bit much. plus its kinda hard to find unless you into that sort of thing and you know about those kinda sites.

datsmdubya2u says:

So Dewayne proposed cause the news of an outside baby has come out?
    _________

Say word! :facepalm: :popcorn:

________________________

:newpost: Sandy just put it up!