Blind Man Will Keep His Seeing Eye Dog After Donations Pour In

Cecil Williams and Orlando

Cecil Williams will get to keep his faithful seeing eye dog, Orlando, after public donations poured in to pay for the dog’s food and vet bills for the rest of his life.

Williams, 61, was hospitalized after he lost consciousness and fell onto the tracks of an upcoming subway train at the 125th Street station in New York City on Tuesday. Orlando jumped onto the tracks and licked his master’s face, according to eye witnesses. The conductor of the oncoming train applied his brakes at the last minute but the train rolled over Williams and his dog.

Emergency responders pulled Williams and Orlando from under the train. Williams suffered an injury to his face. Orlando was unhurt.

On Tuesday, an insurance company gave Williams the bad news that the 11-year-old Labrador was too old and would be removed from service (a gentle way of saying euthanized).

The insurance company would not pay for a dog who was out of service. Williams was told he could keep the dog if he came up with the money to pay for the dog’s maintenance. In the meantime Williams’s insurance company would pay for a younger seeing eye dog.

Upon hearing the news, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, the organization that trained Orlando, created a fund to receive donations for Williams — and the money rolled in.

The fund grew to $55,000 by Wednesday. Many donors left comments on the crowd-funding website Indiegogo.

“That dog deserves to be spoiled rotten for the rest of his life,” said Andrew Piera of Blue Star Transportation, who offered to pay for Orlando’s upkeep. “This guy can’t afford it and I can – and it’s Christmas.”

Williams was overwhelmed with the outpouring of public support. “The spirit of giving, Christmas and all that – it exists here. It’s in New York,” said a tearful Williams from his hospital bed on Wednesday.

“I’m not a cry baby or nothing but my eyes are misty. [Orlando] was there,” Williams added. “He’s always with me … He’s always looking out for me. That’s his job.”

103 Responses to “Blind Man Will Keep His Seeing Eye Dog After Donations Pour In”

deedeegirl says:

Good. They belong together.

rwilliams4782 says:

Thats nice.. but according to sandra he only licked his face in hopes he would throw up…jk.. those were nice gestures..

i saw this man right before he fell. i was coming out the train station and he was going in. i started to ask him if he was ok cuz he looked wobbly but i thought, nah he just mumbling something/fussing at the dog.

i feel kinda bad everytime this comes on the news. :ashamed: i swear i said, “are you….nah, he ok”

rwilliams4782 says:

Damn orange blossom… lol..

rwilliams4782 says:

When its about animals Yt ppl will come thru but humans he would have still been at the 1000 dollar mark

GAGIRL87 says:

I’m so thankful the man an dog were okay

The dogs eyes are so sorrowful looking :(

Anna says:

Orange Blossom says:

i feel kinda bad everytime this comes on the news. i swear i said, “are you….nah, he ok”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don’t beat yourself up over it. He fell, he was rescued, and hopefully will have ppl checking on him more often.

essenze says:

See this is going to make me cry :wail: I told my mother I wasn’t an ice queen :nono:

rwilliams4782 says:

Damn orange blossom… lol..

i know. :ashamed: him and that dog are big as hell in real life so i was like lemme just slide on by before i get some too. he reminded me of Mista from Color Purple. :ashamed:

one thing tho, dog stayed calm as hell. so i ASSumed he always mumbled/acted like that. he old and blind. you know how they can get.

GAGIRL87 says:

The fund grew to $55,000 by Wednesday.
    _______________________________________________________________

I’m not trying to be funny or cruel but I really believe an amimals life is worth more than any human’s these days (I DON’T AGREE) but obviously others do smh. $55k for vet bills & dog food wow really :huh:

GAGIRL87 says:

__________________________________________________________________

:coffee: $500 hunnud you had to subract the other 5 b/c he’s black :)

GAGIRL87 says:

Orange it’s okay he’s alive & well hun :hug: but maybe next if someone appears to be in need you can kindly ask if you feel it in your spirit :)

55k for vet bills & dog food wow really

27.5 after the IRS man get his 50%. tax season too…..shiiiiiid. that may mess up his check.

GAGIRL87 says:

Orange it’s okay he’s alive & well hun but maybe next if someone appears to be in need you can kindly ask if you feel it in your spirit

:yes:

rwilliams4782 says:

man for 55k I can buy alot lol.. I’d look at the dog and be like..well that wanted to put you down anyway.. Give him a kiss on the paw.. Nah lemme stop

VDot says:

:goodpost:

So only the dog tried to help him?

rwilliams4782 says:

no thats what she said yesterday.. I didn’t know that lol. Ikr all these ppl on the train.. smh..cold world

GAGIRL87 says:

Ky :hug:

VDot says:

:thinking: So what yall are saying is that for $55k, they can pit Orlando down, buu a new dog and/or dude some new eyes? :lol:

cteastcoast says:

@orange. You did the right thing cuz the story could have went crazy blind man shoots up the train station

GAGIRL87 says:

Vdot I’m sure Mr. Willaims could stretch that $55k dog food and vet bills ain’t $55k :lol: yt folks love their animals.

AttorneyMom says:

Finally, a positive story. I still believe in a kinder humanity.

KyCakes says:

GAGirl :hug:

How ya durrin hunty?

Aww and I hate how easy it is to euthanize a dog that has done nothing.

GAGIRL87 says:

Orange ole girl is flexible in that avi :yes: I’m not even ready for these New Year resolution folks at the gym :coffee: She is pure motivation my 10 year reunion is coming up an I wanna drop 25 or 30 pounds :(

GAGIRL87 says:

Ky nothing :lol: bored an mad :) :( what about u :popcorn: anything exciting going on?

rwilliams4782 says:

_________________________

he wasnt on the train when i saw him. him and the dog were standing in the middle of the sidewalk looking confused when i was coming out the station. so many crazy ppl here that you cant tell who is who. i literally snatched my own hand back and told myself to chill because i thought he would probably be ok. guess everybody else thought the same :ashamed:

GAGIRL87 says:

Orange I feel u the big apple ain’t like the souf :no:

Thats a Nice Gesture. At least some folks are in a festive Mood

rwilliams4782 says:

It aint safe to lend helping hands.. I know I don’t bc of that good samaritan law.. help a bish off the train track and she sue u bc you broke her arm..ppl shady.

~~~~~~
    gawd, how trif!

:hi: san :kiss: GaGa
    San whats Icki saying there?

Gigi26 says:

:claps: at least he gets to keep his dog :yes: Go him!

anw_rootbeer says:

LOVE this story! Thanks AUNTIE!!

rwilliams4782 says:

Its times I see ppl walking in the rain.. I wanna help but nothin is safe anymore.. never thought I would see the day my azz would ride around with that nina…as the young folks say.. but I keeps me a piece

Gigi26 says:

And Labs are very smart and very people loving :yes: Good dog to have around a family for sure!

:waves: Luvn. it says I miss my nig–, her nig–, whoever nig–…I miss him tho :hahaha:

GA 30lbs is a lot :eek: but if thats what you want then go for it. Chan might protest tho. :lol:

I want a dog so bad, just not the responsibility. Kind of like a child :)

Gigi26 says:

Man I help whenever my spirit compells me to, I don’t think twice about it…one time I was in a target and this lil Spanish woman was struggling to reach some cups, do you know how many ppl walked by her and WATCHED HER IN THE DAMN FACE STRUGGLE?! Man I was walking in the damn opposite direction but I grabbed em for her, it takes nothing to be nice to someone for a second or minute.

You never know when you’ll need the same. :shrugs:

SAN
    thosde animals are just like KIDS! its alot of work.

ohpretty1 says:

I love stories like this. There are still good people in the world.

KyCakes says:

rwilliams4782 says:

———————————————————————-
    I keeps me a piece of steel [pulls out gun] load your steel thank ya jesus!

:rofl: :rofl:

@giGI Ur right.

Luvn, I figured as much and that’s the reason why I don’t have one. I move around too much. I goes out of town at the spur of the moment. I don’t have time for dog sitters :no: One day tho

KyCakes says:

Gigi26 says:

You never know when you’ll need the same. :shrugs:
    ———————————————————————-
    :applause:
    It can be something big or small, but it may mean the world to the person you help!

Man I help whenever my spirit compells me to, I don’t think twice about it…
    ————
    Could be an Angel :heart:

See Sandra did a MIMI POST when I was gone

:chase:

And seen yall tawking straight shyt bout Mimi tew

:shank:

*turns O’Holy Night AWL the way up*

Anna says:

rwilliams4782 says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You have to go w/your gut. I can’t see someone in dire need and not help. I’m not talking money, just physically in need. That good samaritan law does prevent many from helping. A woman was in a bad car accident, the car caught fire, a good samaritan pulled her out alive. She is paralized. She sued the good samaritian saying she would have rather died then live to be paralized. I don’t know how the verdit favored.

@SAN
    I got a puppy for my son when my son was Younger :smack:
    Biggest mistake of my life!
    He didnt take care of the pup right. I had to. I was always cleaning up beind the dog, bathing him, feeding him.
    and the VETS bills :shock:
    yeah Im good.
    My hubby wants to get a dog, i told him DO YOU BOO BOO.
    I will not partake in that :nono:

~~~~~
    :smack:

KyCakes says:

San ah make ya dance says:

I want a dog so bad, just not the responsibility. Kind of like a child :)
    ——————————————————————-
    I’ve had my chiweenie for about a year now. Hadn’t had a dog as an adult. It was supposed to be my Son’s dog, but he prefers the female touch…love that dog! :lol:

You never know when you’ll need the same
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Little ole man in a wheelchair purchased lunch for my girls one recent Sat. we was out shopping. All b/c they held the door for him at the McDonald’s. So teach your kids/young people close to you AS WELL. :yes:

Lol Luvn sounds like my bro and wife with their fam. Dog ended up being his dog to take care of! Vet bills :lol: got my own to worry bout.

So teach your kids/young people close to you AS WELL. :yes:
    ~~~~~~~~
    Yeah, for sure. One year my son and i were walking in the mall, he of course held the door open for an elderly lady who was behind us.

She didnt even say Thankyou. My baby was so perplexed, He said ma she didnt even say thank you :(
    I told him everyone doesnt have manners or going to be like you, whether she said thank You or NOT you still have to do the right thing.
    He was like :eek: K

Just found a check I been saving. God is good :yes:

goat76 says:

Shat, Orlando ain’t got but a couple more years anyway. He’s 11 now, I’d give him 4 years tops.

Gigi26 says:

——————————-
    Okay!! You never know how God will reward you in the end…There’s been days i’ve been on my last dollar but because I did a nice deed for someone, that dollar turned into ten :yes:

I won’t fear someone suing me for helping em out, shyt some folk are naturally miserable.

then he shoulda killed her ass soon as she said them simple ass words in his direction. there you go. bye felicia :bye:

AF SAN

did any1 See the kaTRAShians Xmas Card?? it was Ye’s visioN

:eek:

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

Dogs are faithful. And as far as them feeding on their owners after being without food FOR DAYS ask the Donnner Party. :coffee:

The good samaritan law actually is for protecting good Samaritans.Not the other way around..

read Kordell Stewart\ToWanda Braxton are dating. :tea:

The good samaritan law actually is for protecting good Samaritans.
    ~~~~~~~
    :phew:
    i like ur gravie B

The man who killed Renisha McBride will stand trial. :yes:

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

I haven’t begun my xmaa shopping yet :wail:

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

The man who killed Renisha McBride will stand trial.

————
    :clap:

puppylove what happened to ur other s/n?
    DO You have alot of gifts to get?? :bite:

B thats good news, but if it wernt for the Public outrage . . .

<—Christmas spirit. If only I could ho ho around. :biggrin:

iAmChan says:

What up yall? I’m here about to die due to a potluck I shouldn’t have participated in.

Caramel Rain says:

luVn_liFe… says:

read Kordell Stewart\ToWanda Braxton are dating.
    **********
    that is a strong couple

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

I haven’t begun my xmaa shopping yet

i think all the stores stay open til like 11 now. betta get up on it.

not sure where you live but diapers dot com has same day delivery and they sell toys/clothes for kids too. i used to order a box of pampers before i left for work and it would be at my door when i got home. :thumbsup:

could always buy gift cards.

Kordell tho? *lip sneer*

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

@luvin long ass story 2wks fighting twc about why they deleted my email. I don’t have a lot of people to buy for but I spoil my sibs :bite: and im sick so hating life right now.

KyCakes says:

<—Christmas spirit. If only I could ho ho around. :biggrin:
    ———————————————————————-
    :whistle:
    So many things I could say right now… #Fevah

Gigi26 says:

read Kordell Stewart\ToWanda Braxton are dating.

The devil is a liar. Ain’t no way..well you know she does have a skrong face :thinking: Hmmmm

diapers dot com also sells adult toys :kona:

:hahaha: :hug: Nooo. What did you eat? Oh gosh :lol:

Gigi26 says:

And Towanda has a STRONG LOOKING JAW, just what Kordell would like :yes: Ole jigsaw faced ass

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

long ass story 2wks fighting twc about why they deleted my email.
    Well there’s still plenty of time to get it done. Muster up the strength and do it!

I was done the saturday after thanksgiving.

Im getting sick too :(

The Shocker. 2 In The Pink, 1 In The Stink. says:

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

Awwwwe look at chur baby :love: I have 3 :fistbump: Men lie women lie animals lie down and die with you if need be :fistbump:

iAmChan says:

somebody tried to convince me to eat a barbecued jelly spread. Shyttin me.

:lol: SSsshhhhh. Dont say nothin’ PhatCakes! :hug:

KyCakes says:

luVn_liFe… says:
    Im getting sick too :(
    ——————————————————————–
    Mami start slamming some of that Emergen-C

I started getting sick on Sunday, started taking two packets a day of that Emergen-C and I am good to go now :biggrin:

:hahaha: So Kordell like Towanda cause she look like him. Yall crazy. :hahaha: :heart:

KyCakes says:

:lol: SSsshhhhh. Dont say nothin’ PhatCakes! :hug:
    ———————————————————————
    :ashamed: Ok…..

But I will :lick: :lick: :lick: you sommore :yes:

essenze says:

Orange Blossom says:

diapers dot com also sells adult toys

Do tell! :ashamed:

KyCakes says:

iAmChan says:

somebody tried to convince me to eat a barbecued jelly spread. Shyttin me.
    ———————————————————————
    And that’s probably EXACTLY what you would have been doing had you decided to partake… :lol:

KYcakes
    i dont realy Think that stuff worKs. and it may be in my favor if im very ill tomorrow :twisted:

@KYcakes
    that isnt MO in that gravie, RIGHT? :eek:

:rofl: You said we was reforming… :hump: Peer pressha bust all my pipes..

I told him everyone doesnt have manners or going to be like you
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That BISH. That is so RUDE. To a KID. :no:

You told him right.

KyCakes says:

luVn_liFe… says:

KYcakes
    ———————————————————————
    I dunno..I just know that I don’t get sick very often, but when I do, 95% of the time, it turns into bronchitis, which puts e COMPLETE:Y out of commission…I was determined for that not to happen this year and I feel so much better since taking the stuff…

:newpost:

:wink: KY

KyCakes says:

:rofl: You said we was reforming… :hump: Peer pressha bust all my pipes..
    ——————————————————————
    Man…with you and Barker in my cipher, reforming is sooooo 2013 :lol:

KyCakes says:

@luVn it is….apparently a fan wrote that to King Bey after she put out her album and then posted pics of her vegan cupcakes on IG…

The fan said “Girl phuck yo cupcakes” a .gif was born and the rest is her-story… :lol:

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

somebody tried to convince me to eat a barbecued jelly spread. Shyttin me.
    ———-

Not enough convincing in the world.

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

Hey bren, thats the grand pup. He was born with a deformed arm so we kept him. Him name is NEMO :LOVE: